• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason |OT| "It's a complete shit move, but we're stuck with it now"

phanphare

Banned
Noah would be a cheap situational big that can pass and still give you toughness in good limited minutes that's better then overpaying for a smaller Biyombo that has only been a flash in the pan. Then again if you guys can get Biyombo for a discount then definitely do that.

just because he got a chance to have some good games during the playoffs doesn't mean he was a flash in the pan

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/biyombi01.html

look at his per 36 minute rebounding and block averages. biyombo does things night in and night out that the warriors could really benefit from.

He's supposedly an elite defender with crazy athleticism with a questionable jumper, Danny's favorite kind of player!

God damn it.

Hey Warriors, You Are Choking Shitbags

But as we exult in LeBron James accomplishing his impossible mission, let us not forget that it came at the expense of the Warriors, who are choking shitbags. Yes, for every heartwarming story, there is an equal and opposite target for our collective schadenfreude. And so we must take a moment today to pause the celebration and get in our trolling while we can. Because you, Golden State Warriors … you are SHIT. You are obnoxious, overhyped, namby-pamby frauds.

I can’t believe I liked this team a month ago. But between Draymond punching everyone in the dick, and trophy-humping owner Joe Lacob trying to take credit for their success, and Steph Curry tossing around ill-advised behind-the-back passes (I swear that Curry believes he needs to take longer shots and attempt dumber passes in order to regain his mojo any time he loses it), and Ayesha Curry truthering away losses, and our own Kevin Draper turning any mention of his team into an opportunity to give the rest of the Deadspin staff a tutorial about how the game of basketball works, these fuckfaces have fallen from grace faster than Chewbacca Mom. It’s the fastest heel turn in sports since … since, well, LeBron left Cleveland the first time.

kaiju

Right Noah would've been perfect. I totally get that... But he's broken and we don't have the PHX Sun's Lazarus pit training staff (not knocking on ours).

I think the team needs to start thinking about developing Bogut's replacement at this point. I thought Ezeli would've been it but he's regressed so badly...

That 3-pt foul by Ezeli on Kyrie was a killer. Easily Kerr's worst move as Coach having that guy on the court that late in the 4th.

Sanjuro

End celebration reminded me how the Bulls fucked Tom Thibodeau, and how goddam of a good position Tyronn Lee is in.

Ronin Ray

just because he got a chance to have some good games during the playoffs doesn't mean he was a flash in the pan

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/biyombi01.html

look at his per 36 minute rebounding and block averages. biyombo does things night in and night out that the warriors could really benefit from.

Things they can't afford plus does his size help against teams like the thunder. If the warriors are going pie in the sky then trade for Nerlens Noel who is bigger and better then biyombo in every way but then again my pie in the sky is for the spurs to get Nerlens Noel.

ViciousDS

Banned
ESPN announced Monday that Game 7 drew an 18.9 overnight rating, which is the highest-rated NBA telecast ever on ABC. The previous high, a Game 7 battle between the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers in 2010, drew an 18.2 overnight rating.

damn

they even said digital viewership on watchESPN averaged 600k viwers at any time.....crazy numbers.

god, does this bring back memories in JH, remember when the bulls had Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler lol. We also almost got to see JR smith in a bulls uniform

Thursday's NBA draft marks the 15-year anniversary of when Bulls general manager Jerry Krause took a deep breath, traded former No. 1 overall pick Elton Brand and placed the Bulls' rebuilding efforts on the backs of two teenagers in Chandler and Eddy Curry.

This July marks a decade since executive vice president John Paxson sent Chandler to the New Orleans Hornets for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith, fully ending the preps-to-pros experiment one summer after Paxson dealt Curry and his heart issues to the Knicks and signed Chandler to a six-year deal.

Things they can't afford plus does his size help against teams like the thunder. If the warriors are going pie in the sky then trade for Nerlens Noel who is bigger and better then biyombo in every way but then again my pie in the sky is for the spurs to get Nerlens Noel.

That's why I said it's a wish list with the only inside track being that he and dray share an agent. Stop gapping with a broken Noah isn't going to do anything.

Fjordson

Biyombo's size would absolutely help against teams like the Thunder.

Draymond is our best center, but you can't have him doing that for 40+ minutes a night throughout the season and playoffs. He's great at the 5, but he's redlining to do his job there, it's too much to ask. Warriors just need a healthy guy with some athleticism who can soak up minutes at center. A guy like Biyombo would be perfect, but I'm guessing he'll be pretty expensive after this year's postseason and all the money that will be flying around from teams.

What could the Warriors possibly trade for Nerlens?

m07ggpgcx0vdbpfbwgyp.jpg

oops.

Ronin Ray

That's why I said it's a wish list with the only inside track being that he and dray share an agent. Stop gapping with a broken Noah isn't going to do anything.

You have an amazing team with amazing talent and your at that point where stop gaps and older players that fit is all your going to get ala what spurs have been doing for years unless you guys find a gem like kawhi leonard. Athletic young defense big men are off the table unless you over pay or find them in the draft.

Marquese Chriss Is the Draft’s Biggest Gamble - The Ringer

The talent is there. The two most important skills in the modern NBA are the ability to stretch the floor and switch screens, and no one in this draft — not even Simmons or Ingram — has a better combination of those skills than Chriss. If you close your eyes, you can envision Chriss as the centerpiece of a proto–Lineup of Death in five years, when he would be the same age as some of the seniors in this year’s draft. He has the potential to do five things at a high level — block shots, switch screens, shoot 3s, roll to the rim, and post up.

“He’s the best athlete in this draft,” one talent evaluator told me a few weeks ago. “And it wouldn’t surprise me if he was the best player in the draft in five years.”

But it’s all theoretical at this stage. For as much as Chriss has improved over the past six months, he’s not ready to be an NBA-caliber starter, and he’s a long way away from being a difference-maker. Questions abound when it comes to what Marquese Chriss is as a basketball player, and it’ll take years to find our answer. But the most important question regarding Chriss’s future will be answered on Thursday night. Which GM at the top of the lottery is willing to roll the dice?

I am very excited about the draft on Thursday. I believe the Lakers will draft either Simmons or Ingram depending on the 76ers. Hopefully Mitch and Jim don't mess this up.

I also call BS on all those D'Lo trade rumors. He has more potential than anyone in the upcoming draft outside of the first and second pick.

Varejao will probably still get a ring from CLE though. Even with as chippy as Bron and him were game 7, they're too close to deny the guy that's been loyal for a dozen years.

I want Biyombo to come back to Toronto. I love that JV/Biyombo combo. But if he isn't coming back I hope he goes to Warriors or Lakers or somewhere that needs a player like him

Varejao will probably still get a ring from CLE though. Even with as chippy as Bron and him were game 7, they're too close to deny the guy that's been loyal for a dozen years.

I mentioned this before but is that a ring you'd really want? I feel like it'd just be a reminder of the heartbreak of getting so close.

Apparently Lebron's secret motivation was when he left Miami to come back to Cavs and someone close to him there said you were making the biggest mistake of your life.

Heat-GAF thoughts?

Tom Penny

Apparently Lebron's secret motivation was when he left Miami to come back to Cavs and someone close to him there said you were making the biggest mistake of your life.

Heat-GAF thoughts?
Why would he need a secret motivation? It was all covered in his letter... Unfortunately he was unable to mentor Dion Waiters.

Gigglepoo

Warriors priority this offseason is to find a center. They really need someone like Myles Turner. Guys like that (bigs who can shoot and defend at the rim) are where the position is headed.

Sideshow Bob and Festus were atrocious last night.

You have an amazing team with amazing talent and your at that point where stop gaps and older players that fit is all your going to get ala what spurs have been doing for years unless you guys find a gem like kawhi leonard. Athletic young defense big men are off the table unless you over pay or find them in the draft.

With the way teams are up and coming in the west, getting stop gaps aren't going to cut it. That's not to say the warriors suck but getting a stop gap center isn't going to cut it given our core's championship window. The death lineup is at its best closing out games...not to be played for 48 min. The one thing I saw in this playoffs was that outside the opening round, it felt like the opposing team was dictating pace and tempo for the majority of the playoffs while the Warriors just managed to counterpunch their way to victory. That finally caught up to them with Cleveland. We need to address the rebounding and turnover issues and stop just paying it lip service

Fjordson

So what is Harrison Barnes worth today? He had a bad series but he's still a fantastic piece, yes?
As far as actual worth, $10-12 mill a year maybe?

He turned down $64 million over 4 years, though. So I dunno...his camp has been confident all year he'll get close to the max.

So what is Harrison Barnes worth today? He had a bad series but he's still a fantastic piece, yes?

I'd still bet good money on him getting the max. He's a 3 that can defend multiple positions, theoretically hit a three and play small ball 4, lots of teams are interested in that kind of player and there's just too much cap room out there for him to get much less than the max.

Im pretty sure if the market rate for him is 15 mil a year, the warriors match. To be fair, I don't think he had a terrible game 7. At least he hit some shots.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Speaking of Barnes I thought he was supposed to be a slashing type player BC of that nickname. Like playing above the rim or something. But just saw bricked jumpshot after jumpshot in the last few games.

Just a playoff anomaly Or does the nickname have nothing to do with play style. Seems pretty passive.

Bread

Banned
Speaking of Barnes I thought he was supposed to be a slashing type player BC of that nickname. Like playing above the rim or something. But just saw bricked jumpshot after jumpshot in the last few games.

Just a playoff anomaly Or does the nickname have nothing to do with play style. Seems pretty passive.
He's a better Jeff Green. He can do it all but will he?

I don't think he fully recovered from the knee injury he suffered earlier in the season. Actually before his knee injury, he was probably playing his best ball.

Also, he's some really fat dunks in prior seasons. I was there for his dunk on Pekovic. It was filthy

Ronin Ray

With the way teams are up and coming in the west, getting stop gaps aren't going to cut it. That's not to say the warriors suck but getting a stop gap center isn't going to cut it given our core's championship window. The death lineup is at its best closing out games...not to be played for 48 min. The one thing I saw in this playoffs was that outside the opening round, it felt like the opposing team was dictating pace and tempo for the majority of the playoffs while the Warriors just managed to counterpunch their way to victory. That finally caught up to them with Cleveland. We need to address the rebounding and turnover issues and stop just paying it lip service

I am just curious how do you think the Warriors go about doing that?

ViciousDS

Banned
I really hope JR stays.....it seems like he finally found a place that he enjoyed playing and really fit into the chaotic system. JR gonna JR fucking helped Cleveland so dann much.....he was basically one of 3 people to hit 3's last night when it was needed.

I am just curious how do you think the Warriors go about doing that?

My guess is that the Warriors are willing to go over the tax for the right player again for the short term. Projected cap numbers are set to jump significantly for the next two seasons at least. After this upcoming season the only players on the books are Looney (on a rookie contract) Thompson and Draymond (Bogut, Iggy, Curry and Livingston contracts all expire). Curry will get paid max but after that the roster is completely clean as currently projected. Biyombo as I've consistently stated is a pie in the sky wishlist but worth pursuit (I mean hell...the Warriors are kicking the tires for Durant why not entertain a Biyombo just in case?). I'm all for Noah if the FO and Jerry West think he'll be the Noah of 3 seasons ago (as I've stated previously again)....but seeing how he is now, I doubt it. Noah in his current condition isn't going to address our rebounding defficiencies nor will he give us consistent big minutes (unless of course he recovered) Whatever the case, I have faith that Bob Myers and our front office will get it done.

Top Bottom