• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Clarkson needs to be shut down now. He's obviously too good for this summer league bullshit. No need to risk an injury with a player you already know is damn good and has a feel for the game. Shut. Him. Down.

Russell looks like he's still trying to get acclimated to NBA play, which is understandable. Being surrounded by vets is going to do him a lot of good. His drives to the basket are uuuuugly though. yikes

I don't like the way the Lakers offense is being ran. Too much ISO shit and I almost never saw any plays being ran for easy perimeter shots.... the latter should not be happening when you have dudes who not only have the skill to make those kind of shots, but who can set them up as well. This team better get with the fucking program.

We still paying MDA money, right? Bring that mustachio'd fuck-face back as an offensive coordinator and call it an off-season.

Sandfox

Clarkson needs to be shut down now. He's obviously too good for this summer league bullshit. No need to risk an injury with a player you already know is damn good and has a feel for the game. Shut. Him. Down.

Russell looks like he's still trying to get acclimated to NBA play, which is understandable. Being surrounded by vets is going to do him a lot of good. His drives to the basket are uuuuugly though. yikes

I don't like the way the Lakers offense is being ran. Too much ISO shit and I almost never saw any plays being ran for easy perimeter shots.... the latter should not be happening when you have dudes who not only have the skill to make those kind of shots, but who can set them up as well. This team better get with the fucking program.

We still paying MDA money, right? Bring that mustachio'd fuck-face back as an offensive coordinator and call it an off-season.
The Lakers need to completely change their system because it looks horrible and doesn't complement our guards.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The Lakers need to completely change their system because it looks horrible and doesn't complement our guards.
It's pretty amazing how we keep hiring coaches that don't mesh well with our roster talent.

MDA would actually do better with this team. Byron would have done better when MDA was running shit. Mike Brown... well, is Mike Brown.

fact of the matter is; this team is more equipped to score from the perimeter and the staff needs to recognize and adjust to this, and not force this "grind it out inside game" old school mentality bullshit. We can run, we have play-makers, we have perimeter shooting, and a bunch of young legs that want to get out and run. We need to maximize the talent and skill we have, and not force a bullshit ideology that doesn't fit the DNA of the majority of the roaster.

Sandfox

It's pretty amazing how we keep hiring coaches that don't mesh well with our roster talent.

MDA would actually do better with this team. Byron would have done better when MDA was running shit. Mike Brown... well, is Mike Brown.

fact of the matter is; this team is more equipped to score from the perimeter and the staff needs to recognize and adjust to this, and not force this "grind it out inside game" old school mentality bullshit. We can run, we have play-makers, we have perimeter shooting, and a bunch of young legs that want to get out and run. We need to maximize the talent and skill we have, and not force a bullshit ideology that doesn't fit the DNA of the majority of the roaster.

Based on what we're seeing I'm expecting a new coach after this season because there will be vocal and correct complaints with evidence to back it up.

Bummer about Embiid , not only was he a good basketball player but his tweets x off court attitude was great

Hopefully he plays at least 1 season :/ which is sad to say

Kickz

Karl Towns showing flashes so far, I am satisfied, just shut it down now before one of these try-hard d-league bums gets you injured...

How should I feel about Chase Budinger going to Indiana?

His time with us was derailed by one injury after the other and his confidence went down the drain. How should I feel about Radmj>??

"Free agent Austin Rivers has agreed on a deal to return to the Los Angeles Clippers, league source tells Yahoo Sports" - Woj

Here's to hoping it's a max contract!

"#Nets have reached an agreement in principle with free agent F/C Andrea Bargnani, GM Billy King announced today." - @BrooklynNets

LOLOLOL Nets. If they owned their own pick I'd say this is the most blatant tank of all time.

Also, how sad are the Kings that they can't even get Andrea Bargnani?

Edit:

"ESPN sources say Bargnani, in fact, took less money from Nets because he preferred fit in Brooklyn. Kings pitched two-year deal" - Marc Stein

Man...

HabeeNo

"#Nets have reached an agreement in principle with free agent F/C Andrea Bargnani, GM Billy King announced today." - @BrooklynNets

LOLOLOL Nets. If they owned their own pick I'd say this is the most blatant tank of all time.

Edit:

"ESPN sources say Bargnani, in fact, took less money from Nets because he preferred fit in Brooklyn. Kings pitched two-year deal" - Marc Stein

Man...

GOOD LUCK BROOKLYN

AS A KNICK FAN I SAID GOOD LUCK LOL

I think game to game it won't be a huge loss but he had a game every now and then where he'd look like the old Deron.

Yeah he had a few games where he was scoring 30+ not to long ago but as far as his season numbers. He pretty much had the worst season of his career since his rookie year numbers wise.

Cheddahz

Banned
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m1 minute ago
Oklahoma City has informed Portland it has matched $70M offer sheet for restricted free agent Enes Kanter, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

rando14

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m1 minute ago
Oklahoma City has informed Portland it has matched $70M offer sheet for restricted free agent Enes Kanter, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

To think, just a few years ago OKC coulda had Harden, Westbrook, and Durant. Now theyre giving 70 mil to Enes fucking Kanter

No way Durant stays in OKC, Kanter might be one of the worst players to ever receive a max contract.

I read it very differently. This doesn't hurt OKC's chances to keep Durant. If they didn't match, they would have proven themselves cheap (once again) and, more importantly, would have lost the asset with nothing to replace him since they didn't have any cap space. By matching, they've made a point of showing they're willing to spend money, and they can now trade Kanter for something else if he doesn't fit the long term plan. One team has already shown interest in paying him 70 over 4, there will be others as long as he doesn't regress. He's like Tristan Thompson, there's no harm in paying the guy right now, because teams flush with cap space next summer are going to be looking around for pieces once they realize they're not getting the big names.

Bread

Banned
Too little too late in my opinion. Showing that you are willing to spend money on a sieve like Kanter cannot be that encouraging to Durant.

rinse82

If Kanter got that, can't wait to see how much Valanciunas gets.

And I know it's summer league, but through 2 games Norm Powell is looking like a second round gem

Too little too late in my opinion. Showing that you are willing to spend money on a sieve like Kanter cannot be that encouraging to Durant.

I think it's better than letting him walk away for nothing. Contracts this offseason are almost meaningless, a team is probably better off overpaying someone like Kanter and then figuring out what to do with him later. That being said, holy shit Kanter is vastly overpaid.

I think it's better than letting him walk away for nothing. Contracts this offseason are almost meaningless, a team is probably better off overpaying someone like Kanter and then figuring out what to do with him later. That being said, holy shit Kanter is vastly overpaid.

I wouldn't have felt as bad as the Harden trade if we let him go because we barely gave up anything to get him.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

Huge cap increase or not, paying Kanter like that isn't good for their books. They are way over luxury tax now.. they better hope Kanter keeps improving.

Heel

The Kings have dodged so many bullets with Vlade making offers to players that end up signing elsewhere for less. I'm actually kind of happy.

Let's just lock up Josh Smith and go full crazy.

Fjordson

Not saying Kanter will decline like Lee did since he's much younger, but I saw a Twitter fan respond to one of the NBA writers I follow with basically "$70 mill to a double double machine like Kanter isn't bad at all". Reminds me of fellow Warriors fans trying to defend Davis Lee before last year lol.

Not saying Kanter will decline like Lee did since he's much younger, but I saw a Twitter fan respond to one of the NBA writers I follow with basically "$70 mill to a double double machine like Kanter isn't bad at all". Reminds me of fellow Warriors fans trying to defend Davis Lee before last year lol.

It's like people who defend bad baseball contracts because a guy gets a lot of RBI. Kanter is not just bad at defense, he's historically terrible, at a position where it's probably most important to have some semblance of defense considering how easily and proficiently guys attack the rim these days. The fact that he gets 10 rebounds a game instead of 8 or 9 doesn't change that.

Fjordson

It's like people who defend bad baseball contracts because a guy gets a lot of RBI. Kanter is not just bad at defense, he's historically terrible, at a position where it's probably most important to have some semblance of defense considering how easily and proficiently guys attack the rim these days. The fact that he gets 10 rebounds a game instead of 8 or 9 doesn't change that.
Agreed. David Lee averaged 18 and 11 and was an all-star two years ago, but boy did that contract suck ass towards the end.

Again, not saying Kanter will decline like Lee did, but not the best use of $70 mill imo.

Huge cap increase or not, paying Kanter like that isn't good for their books. They are way over luxury tax now.. they better hope Kanter keeps improving.

They had to do it to show Durant that they're willing to spend to possibly keep him. If Durant leaves, then Westbrook leaves in 2017 and they're a lottery team for at least 3 years minimum.

They had to do it to show Durant that they're willing to spend to possibly keep him. If Durant leaves, then Westbrook leaves in 2017 and they're a lottery team for at least 3 years minimum.

And then they're back in Seattle a few years later, so there's that.

But really, they hit the lottery with Durant, Westbrook, and Harden, and they've lost one of those pieces already. If they lose the other two, I wonder if that whole situation doesn't turn south, particularly as owners do what owners do and start agitating for a taxpayer-funded new arena in a few years. But maybe that's just the Charlottean in me projecting a bit (the original Hornets had an initially rabid fanbase and led the league in attendance for the first few years of their history, but then they started losing their young stars, then the ownership started demanding a new arena, and acrimony on both sides ended up with the team bolting town).

The closest we're getting to a Bill Simmons column or podcast

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 2h2 hours ago
Congrats to the King for trading a 2014 top-8 pick, two 1st round pick swaps and a future lottery pick to sign Rajon Rondo & Marco Belinelli

Belated congrats to the Pelicans for keeping Omer Asik for 60 million. And to the Pistons for getting Aron Baynes for 20 million.

Belated congrats to the Knicks for getting Robin Lopez for 54 million, and to the Pistons for keeping Reggie Jackson for 80 million.

Congrats to OKC for keeping Enes Kanter for 70 million.

Congrats to the Nets for winning the Andrea Bargnani sweepstakes.

Edit:

Man...

Vets min. Not a bad deal, IMO, for someone who's going to primarily be a backup and occasional situational player. He's still a capable offensive threat and Hollins is the kind of coach who'll have him riding the pine if he doesn't perform.

They didn't give up picks and they didn't overpay. You could easily find dozens of players making the vet min OR MORE who are worse than Bargs.

Am I crazy for thinking that losing Deron doesn't make Brooklyn that much worse of a team?

Deron has been a non-factor in my opinion of watching him over the years on the Nets with the exception of that first partial year. Whether that's his fault or management's fault for not putting the right type of squad around him, I can't say.

But I will say that reading some inside information over at NetsDaily seems to indicate that he's been a team/locker room cancer. Nets will probably be within +- 5 games of where they finished last year. It's always possible that the stability of bringing Hollins back with a finally healthy Brook Lopez could lead them towards the + side.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I did not think they would match Kanter. It's perplexing, really, for a team that will have to shell out max deals for 3 top talents.

I did not think they would match Kanter. It's perplexing, really, for a team that will have to shell out max deals for 3 top talents.

1) There's a good chance Durant and Westbrook don't stay.

2) Every deal signed currently will look relatively small when the cap rises in 2016 and again in 2017. It's a lot to spend on Kanter now (especially with tax implications), but not so much in a few years.

Vets min. Not a bad deal, IMO, for someone who's going to primarily be a backup and occasional situational player. He's still a capable offensive threat and Hollins is the kind of coach who'll have him riding the pine if he doesn't perform.

They didn't give up picks and they didn't overpay. You could easily find dozens of players making the vet min OR MORE who are worse than Bargs.

Yeah, wtf...vets minimum on a one year deal isn't exactly breaking the bank here. Not a bad pickup for a scoring punch off the bench, especially given how weak the rotation is at center behind Lopez, a player who you can count on to miss a chunk of time during the season.

Deron has been a non-factor in my opinion of watching him over the years on the Nets with the exception of that first partial year. Whether that's his fault or management's fault for not putting the right type of squad around him, I can't say.

But I will say that reading some inside information over at NetsDaily seems to indicate that he's been a team/locker room cancer. Nets will probably be within +- 5 games of where they finished last year. It's always possible that the stability of bringing Hollins back with a finally healthy Brook Lopez could lead them towards the + side.

I asked this before earlier in the thread, but that guy is an enigma to me. He goes on stretches flashing the abilities that made him a max player, but is just unable to sustain it for any significant period. It makes sense to blame it on injuries and age, but it's clear he can still perform...it seems more an issue with motivation. That just seems insane to me though. And now reports about him being a locker room cancer...sigh. I actually think he might do well in Dallas, now that he's got a chance at a fresh start again.

Top Bottom