• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

CNm454TUkAARnJW.png

Please make the playoffs...

0901-common-basketball-nba-instagram-4.jpg

http://www.tmz.com/2015/09/01/common-markieff-morris-trade/

NBA star Markieff Morris could be on his way to the Houston Rockets … if Common’s Instagram is to be believed … and if the photo he posted is actually of Markieff and not his twin brother Marcus.
Common worked out in Los Angeles Tuesday with a few members of the Rockets … and one of the Morris twins. The problem is … we can’t tell which one (they are identical, after all).
What makes this photo (possibly) a big deal ... Markieff has requested to be traded from the Phoenix Suns (because they traded his brother to Detroit) and the Rockets are seemingly a preferred landing spot.
So, if this photo really is Markieff -- it would appear to be pretty strong evidence he got his wish and will join the Rockets next season.
But if that Morris is Marcus -- we don't really know what to make of it ... other than the fact he got to work out with Common ... which is still not a bad way to spend your morning.

xHiryu

Fuck this NBA drought is killing me, when does preseason start again? Really interested in this coming season specifically for the new Rookie class, the Wolves and the power struggle in the East.

How to Fix Pickup Basketball with Analytics

Article is a bit deceiving as it's just more of an argument against scoring 1's and 2's in pickup.

Accompanying Video

Always thought it was crazy that 3 pointers should be worth double in a pickup game. In a game up to 11 or 13, hitting a couple of 3's really closed the gap quickly or allowed a team to end fast. I've always hated it but then I'm more of a midrange shooter (which makes me a dinosaur in today's game).

Simmons following up on his Clips tweets a few weeks back:

starting to get warmer...

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 20h20 hours ago
Big part of Clippers' behind-the-scenes issues: all the longtime/loyal employees who were fired or quit because of the new Prez. Over 10.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 16h16 hours ago
Off earlier Clips tweet: was talking about the president (Gillian Zucker) and the non-basketball side of operations. It's been... chaotic.

Power Struggle Between Execs
... Players Fed Up

But we're told Zucker has been increasingly more involved on the basketball side ... inserting herself into things like player development and playing time decisions ... and it's leaving many people confused, since she's often not on the same page as Doc.
The way it's being described to us ... it's like if you have 2 bosses telling you to do 2 different things -- who do you listen to? People feel like their allegiance is constantly being tested.
In fact, we're told one player was so frustrated with the power struggle, he actually made the decision not to re-sign with the Clippers because it wasn't worth the headache.
Another point ... Gillian comes from a NASCAR background, she was president of the Auto Club Speedway for 9 years -- and players tell us it's painfully obvious she doesn't understand NBA culture.

I dig the Clutch City alternate. The others are really boring, though.

I'm still waiting on a team to make a bold METALLIC play like the Mavs did with the trash bag jerseys back in the day.

Kickz

Fuck this NBA drought is killing me, when does preseason start again? Really interested in this coming season specifically for the new Rookie class, the Wolves and the power struggle in the East.

Shits killing me to, no friggin reason hackey should start earlier in than NBA...

Fjordson

Fistwell

lmao @ Tony Parker
FG: 4/17
FT: 1/4
TO: 3

CHOKER!
Too worried about his "legacy" to work on FTs. His two misses + Diaw's one miss at the end of overtime secured the game for Spain. By the time Batum walked to the line to cough out 3 clunkers in a row the game was already as good as over. Meanwhile Gasol somehow magically managed to get to the line all night, making 16/18 from the stripe. You know.... like actual star players tend to do when their team needs them to. Hoping that'll shut them the hell up. I like the french team as much as any other french guy, but got sick and fucking tired of hearing them repeat they were the best team in the tournament, had all the talent in the world, were supposed to win it all, were going to make history, blabla-fucking-bla. It's fine to believe it, just stfu and actually play like it then. Also, have the decency of admitting that yes, you are indeed actually high on yourself (like a fucking kite. On crack cocaine), instead of biting the head off of any journalist asking about your painfully obvious overconfidence problems. Parker was a wreck, Diaw couldn't be bothered to even show up in (reasonable) shape. Hey I like junk food too, doesn't mean I have to be an overweight slob (*ahem* well not these days anyways) and I aint a pro athlete (or even an athlete at all). Good job on failing at your fucking job Diaw. There's a bright future for you in sumo fucking wrestling. If you can ever squeeze your circus freak whale ass inside that tiny circle. /seething rage

Edit: in an unexpected display of class, the French coach chooses to blame the defeat on refs: "It's just not fair waaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaawaaaa" analyzed the great french tactician.

This offseason can't end soon enough.

Anyway, I was wondering what 2-3 things would you guys change about the NBA if you could. Mine would be:

1. Change the rules on qualifying for the playoffs. Top 16 teams clarify regardless of the conferences the teams belong to. Not sure how the conference championship would work with this format, but it really sucks to see good teams (.500 or >.500) in the west miss out on the post season while crappy teams from the east (below .500) make it.

2. Reduce the number of regular season games to around 66 or so. Really think 82 games is too much. Hopefully, this will reduce the amount of players getting injured, and we can watch teams with full line-ups go at it in the playoffs.

Fjordson

lmfao! The Kevin Love one is great.

Anyway, I was wondering what 2-3 things would you guys change about the NBA if you could. Mine would be:

1. Change the rules on qualifying for the playoffs. Top 16 teams clarify regardless of the conferences the teams belong to. Not sure how the conference championship would work with this format, but it really sucks to see good teams (.500 or >.500) in the west miss out on the post season while crappy teams from the east (below .500) make it.

2. Reduce the number of regular season games to around 66 or so. Really think 82 games is too much. Hopefully, this will reduce the amount of players getting injured, and we can watch teams with full line-ups go at it in the playoffs.
Agree with both of these. Especially that second one.

Tristan Thompson still wants 5yrs/$94million. Cavs only want to give him 5yrs/$80million

Yeah read Brian Windhorst's article on it. Surprising how LeBron hasn't got involved yet since they're close and share the same agent. Props to the Cavs for holding out. No way he's worth the max considering Draymond Green took similar money and is a better payer. Honestly think he'll just take the qualifying offer and leave next summer when the cap explodes.

Tristan Thompson still wants 5yrs/$94million. Cavs only want to give him 5yrs/$80million

What's $14 million matter when you are already cap strapped to hell? Pay up, Gilbert, you fucking scum bag.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of conferences. What the NBA really needs to do is take a look at why one side of the league has been so terrible and try and fix that. Fix the draft and get rid of tanking and you might see some of the eastern teams that have been bad for years and years forced to at least try and turn things around. I still say that if they come up with some kind of method where if you are in the lottery 2 years in the row, you automatically go to the back of the line no matter how bad your record is. Like Philly would automatically get the 14th or 15th pick this year whether they win 10 games or not. Relegation will never happen for obvious reasons but I don't see any reason why you can't have some sort of punitive impact on teams that are offensively and intentionally terrible for multiple years. Might be the only way the fanbase starts to put any real pressure on ownership.

What's $14 million matter when you are already cap strapped to hell? Pay up, Gilbert, you fucking scum bag.

fuck that and fuck TT's agent for putting this shit in his head. bench players don't get $94 million dollar contracts. he can fuck right off. $80 mill is a good offer and honestly on the high end of what I think he should be getting considering his one-dimensional game. He could be enjoying that money and focusing on winning a ring right now. I'd like to see the Cavs offer maybe $88 mill just to say they did. If that's not good enough, he can sit and spin. We can address a hole next season with his money.

Yeah read Brian Windhorst's article on it. Surprising how LeBron hasn't got involved yet since they're close and share the same agent. Props to the Cavs for holding out. No way he's worth the max considering Draymond Green took similar money and is a better payer. Honestly think he'll just take the qualifying offer and leave next summer when the cap explodes.
LeBron is VP of the Player's Union. He for damn sure isn't going to ever tell someone to take less money than they want/think they should have. It's just not something you can do in that position.

This system doesn't work well unless how teams are matched up in the regular season is changed because some conferences are weaker than others. So a team in a weak conference could end up with a better record than a better team in a stronger conference. So you'd have to add in some factor to correct for the strength of conference and you end up with a shitty algorithm driven selection.

Using conferences winners is basically a system that adjusts for the strength of the conference.

Well Harrison Barnes Rejects Warriors' Four-Year, $64M Extension Offer. I don't understand economics of the NBA. Anymore

Minnesota negotiating buyout with Anthony Bennett. He is joining the Raptors for sure.

Top Bottom