• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

ISOM

As a diehard Warriors fan, the Spurs are our matchup nightmare. Their execution just absolutely kills our defense. Every other team we can matchup well against (even the Thunder- which people seem to think isn't the case) but the Spurs just ruin us.

OKC has a new coach so it's a whole new ballgame.

Russell lookin ready to ball.

giphy.gif

xHiryu

How did some of ya get those avatars like Ninja Scooter, I see them around GAF and was wondering if I could get one of everyone's very glass cannon and former MVP.

it hurts to write that, but still believe Rose will kill this year. Bulls gon represent that All Star game boyyyyyyyyyyyy

Miracle

I'm so pumped for my Lakers this year. Regardless of how the team does record wise, at least the team will be very fun to watch this season unlike the last few years (with the exception of Jordan Clarkson).

I also have high hopes for Robert Upshaw. Never been so excited about an undrafted player in like...ever I think? lol

spyder_ur

Went to the Celtics open practice session for season ticket holders last night. Full court scrimmage. A few takeaways:

-Hate to start out negative but words can't describe how unimpressive Sully was. He still looks heavy and he was getting blocked or swiped on almost every touch, it was pathetic. Not only that, but he was even wearing some god-awful baggy capris or something and sporting a terrible mohawk haircut.

-On the other side, Olynyk looks great. It's clear he's a step ahead after playing with the national team all summer. Aggressive and polished play.

-Smart, Bradley, Isaiah were basically as expected. Isaiah is the man, clapping, cheering, interacting with the crowd, and hanging with his adorable son. This backcourt is going to give some teams major problems on defense. There were a few minutes when two of them locked in on each other and upped the intensity a bit, was fun to watch.

-Rookies: Mickey was the stand out. I'm curious if he can find his way through established but flawed players to secure some minutes. He provides athleticism, speed, and burst that the rest of their big guys don't. Some great blocks and finishes on the break. Rozier is a blast to watch play, quite the ballhawk and electric speed. For what was his biggest weakness pre-draft, I don't think his jumper is broken or anything. Nailed at least 2 3s and shoots with confidence. Hunter was a bit quiet except for a ridiculous ball screen 28 footer. Such a quick release.

-Shooting was pretty poor except for Jerebko. He'll carve out a role just because of that.

-Nothing really to say about James Young, which is a bit disappointing. Not bad but didn't stand out.

-I have no idea how they are going to deal with the logjam at power forward - Sully, Johnson, Olynyk, Jerebko, Lee. I was not terribly impressed with Lee.

Cheebo

Banned
After listening to The Herd I like our chances now in getting KD in L.A.

Lakers? No chance at all. If KD leaves OKC it is because they keep falling short of true title contention, he'd go somewhere that would be an a stronger lock for title contender. Lakers are not that at all.

This year has proven that big ticket free agents go where they can win, the legacy of the Lakers are meaningless when they have a terrible team and organization.

Lakers? No chance at all. If KD leaves OKC it is because they keep falling short of true title contention, he'd go somewhere that would be an a stronger lock for title contender. Lakers are not that at all.

This year has proven that big ticket free agents go where they can win, the legacy of the Lakers are meaningless when they have a terrible team and organization.

It's going to depend entirely on how the young guys play. Their development is priority number one. If Russell, Clarkson and Randle live up to the hype and other young guys like Nance or Upshaw show promise, that becomes a potential fairly attractive location for free agents. A young, cheap core and room for two max players. It's entirely on them though. You can't expect max guys in their late 20s to take the chance of playing with guys who are a complete unknown, which was the Lakers biggest problem when trying to pitch to free agents this last offseason.

Miracle

Way too early to talk about Durant let alone him possibly to the Lakers. For the Lakers, it will depend on MANY FACTORS.

1. How competitive will the Lakers be this season? Will they improve enough to fight for the 8th or 9th seed?

2. How much will Jordan Clarkson improve?

3. How impressive will Russell and Randle be for their first season?

4. Will Kobe retire after this season? Him retiring is likely more beneficial for the Lakers since now that opens doors for possible franchise players to take over LA with Kobe gone.

5. Will Roy Hibbert improve this year and show again how much of a presence he is on the defensive end?

6. Will the Lakers be able to hire Kevin Ollie after this season? We all know Byron Scott is really just a place holder for a more permanent coach to arrive later. Especially if or when Kobe retires after this season. Lakers hiring Kevin Ollie would be a HUGE appeal to Durant for the Lakers, as well as having a nice new fresh coach to look forward too for the future.

However there is also OKC factors.

1. Will Denovan be a good enough coach there to retain Durant?

2. Will the Thunder make it to the Finals this year? Or fall off in the 1st or 2nd round?

3. Will Durant and Westbrook stay healthy this time? Durant is still coming off this year from his injuries last season.

For Durant to even consider LA, a lot of things have to go their way this season (things that I have mentioned above), and OKC's season also comes into play because that will also affect Durant's decision on whether or not to stay.

With all this said, I could care less about the Durant rumors right now as I'm much more excited about this season as I will finally watch a Lakers team that will be fun to watch this time. Instead of looking forward to the likes of Wes Johnson, Lin, Boozer, Hill, Ellington, etc for the last few years.

Cheebo

Banned
Unless your favorite team is a title contender a big ticket free agent is not going to go there. Pretty simple. Not Lakers, not the Celtics, not the Knicks, and not my Pistons...etc.

The reason all of these endless rumors center around Lakers and Knicks year after year and never pan out is because these journalists are located almost entirely out of NYC and LA.

Does anyone here use Ballstreams? I moved from Houston this year, and I am scrambling to figure out how to watch the games.

Pls help

Also:
I fucking miss Houston

Cheebo

Banned
Does anyone here use Ballstreams? I moved from Houston this year, and I am scrambling to figure out how to watch the games.

Pls help

Also:
I fucking miss Houston
I LOVE Ballstreams. Streaming is in fantastic quality even during big games like the finals. Streams of every game of the season live and on demand, well worth the cost. It's a far better service than what the NBA has.

I LOVE Ballstreams. Streaming is in fantastic quality even during big games like the finals. Streams of every game of the season live and on demand, well worth the cost. It's a far better service than what the NBA has.

So if I miss a game, I can watch it later?
And do they offer local broadcast? That's the biggest thing I miss.

As much as I would love having KD playing on my team, I think he should stay with OKC. It would be criminal to not play there. Of course it helps that I admire the OKC franchise, too.

Don't tell Carmelo that dude looks like he is about to cry..

CP_1TsOWoAAmYYM.jpg

Melo will be fine.

Dude got an ego check this offseason, but if he wanted out, he wouldn't have been afraid to say so. Never has been.

Seems he's in a new place, having a team built around him that is a team, a cohesive unit built with the purpose of winning and competing - not simply a bunch of ballers that he can hang around and play 2K with...nor is a team built for him to do it all every night.

I think Melo will show some dynamic growth this year. Might be wrong, but dude usually knuckleheads it up as much as possible, and lately, he's been doing all the right things. It's a strange sight for any observer of the Knicks to witness...

Kobe really gonna play his final Laker season with fuckery like this?
As terrible as this is for Kobe.. Shaq post-miami had it worst. Celtics Shaq was like the sorriest i've seen any modern nba legend play lol.

Kobe in the background watching that like:
lakers-mike-brown-kobe-bryant-mad.jpg

"Oh it's like that, young blood?"
I have already made up my mind that once shits go down in Lakers locker room i'm gonna be on mamba's side.. don't matter who's fault its going to be. And amazing that Ron Artest will be right there in the middle of it too...
X4FbUTY.png

Don't tell Carmelo that dude looks like he is about to cry..

CP_1TsOWoAAmYYM.jpg
That's seriously the widest headband i've seen someone wear w/o the intention of doing a Lebron impersonation.

Fjordson

Steve Kerr's taking a leave of absence to recover from back surgery. Shit man. And Gentry's gone to New Orleans. Looks like Luke Walton will be in charge at least temporarily of a championship NBA team.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Luke Walton being the new (interim) head coach of your defending NBA champs is definitely the weirdest thing in this crazy offseason.

xHiryu

Rose will be back for the season opener it seems like, honestly this is the most excited I am about this Bulls team. With a new coach whom is offensive minded and seemingly more relaxed, along with a healthy Rose (ish) and Noah, add in the hopeful improvements of Mirotic, McDermott and Snell, I think we'll be in legit contention. Although were in contention this title window is shutting and we, at max, have one more year after this season to win it all.

Hoping that Rose, Butler and Noah will be in the all star game seeing as how Rose is still popular and still has the potential to be an All-Star player, whereas Butler is the best 2 guard in the east, and Noah is finally healthy which hopefully enables him to become the playmaking, defensive dynamo he can be. Add in a filthy Pau Gasol and that's basically 4 All-Stars in one squad.

This is the season
but ive been saying that for the past 2 years
, seeing as how Lebron is finally turning human, both Kyrie and Love were injured but ready to go. The Cavs are the favorites to go to the Finals and that's fair but damn if I don't actually think that were can be the 2016 champs, but this season needs to start asap.

Steve Kerr's taking a leave of absence to recover from back surgery. Shit man. And Gentry's gone to New Orleans. Looks like Luke Walton will be in charge at least temporarily of a championship NBA team.

Not worried. Ron Adams is still on the staff for defense and our best players will keep the others in line. Organization must have a lot of faith in Luke Walton.

Better Kerr do the surgery now then in the middle of mid-season. Plus we need him for after practice 3 point contests between him, Steph, Klay and Nash!

So what exactly happens, or is the consequence for Tristan not accepting the Qualifying Offer, or a long term deal tonight?

Does it make him a RFA again next year for a one year deal, or does it just mean the Cavs can offer less then the current QO?

So.....fellow Lakers fans, let's talk about the interaction with Warriors and Kings fans....

Is it really as hostile as some people are making it out to be? I went on Reddit; Kings fans and Warriors fans seem to act like the Lakers killed their family.

ViciousDS

Banned

Good, nba league pass last year was ass.

Can anyone give me a referral to ball streams?

So what exactly happens, or is the consequence for Tristan not accepting the Qualifying Offer, or a long term deal tonight?
All it really means is that he gives up the option to do a 1 year qualifying deal to become unrestricted next year. Other then that, he's still restricted for the year and the non-negotiation continues.

Basically today is just a deadline to see if Rich Paul was full of shit with his threats of leaving or not. I don't know for sure, but I believe if he doesn't accept a QO the Cavs would still retain his rights if he held out the entire year. It's not really a situation that happens unless someone goes overseas.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So.....fellow Lakers fans, let's talk about the interaction with Warriors and Kings fans....

Is it really as hostile as some people are making it out to be? I went on Reddit; Kings fans and Warriors fans seem to act like the Lakers killed their family.

lol, Kings fans will never forget 2002.

I dunno about the Kings ( I guess still bitter about Robert Horry) but I didn't start disliking the Lakers until I went to school down in SoCal. I know a lot of warrior fans hate laker fans because the NorCal ones regularly buy up tickets for warriors vs lakers games... But you haven't seen that recently given the current state of both respective teams. It's a bit of a trip during the playoffs when my Laker friends here went all in on rooting for the Warriors. Their rationale was because they really hated the Clippers and were essentially cheering for the Clippers' rivals.

Top Bottom