• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

mj-laughing.gif~c200

mj-laughing.gif~c200

You think DMC, a 24/12/4 headcase is worth potentially an entire frontcourt for the next 10 years andother shit? That would be a dumbass trade. Thats Randle and potentially KAT and some pieces for that one dude. FOH.

You think DMC, a 24/12/4 headcase is worth potentially an entire frontcourt for the next 10 years andother shit? That would be a dumbass trade. Thats Randle and potentially KAT and some pieces for that one dude. FOH.

He absolutely is. The key word in your post is "potentially", who knows what either of those guys end up looking like whereas we know that DMC is a franchise player right now.

Bowser

Lakers aren't getting KAT. Do I think Boogie/medicore PF is better than a Randle/Okafor frontcourt? Fuck Yes.

I doubt that very, very much. And if they really didn't care at all that'd be a mistake too. Whoever they bring in, whether it is a rookie or a vet, has to play with Kobe at least this year (probably further) and that has proven to be a role that can be a difficult one to fit in with.

I respect Kobe greatly and don't think he's done, but there's no debating that his contract, playing style, declining skills and temperament the last few years has put the Lakers in a difficult spot in regards to securing and developing talent. That's all I meant rather than that they have to clear moves by him or anything.

His contract has put the Lakers in a tough spot, yes, but the Lakers don't consult with him on coaching, draft or free agency moves. They are clearly moving on and plannin for the post-Kobe era. Not sure how much more clear that could be. If that weren't the case they would have let Kobe pick his coach and would have tried trading the last two lotto picks for established "win-now" veterans.

Fjordson

Boogie is the dream scenario for any big in this year's draft. Like they might be that good if everything goes 100% percent right in the first few years of their career. No reason to choose that over the proven production of Boogie.

And yeah he might be kinda crazy, but Sacramento sucks ass. Maybe he'll relax a bit if the Lakers can become decent again (I know, a big IF right now lol).

That #2 pick solidifies either the front court OR the backcourt for the franchise.If they trade it I think it will be another short sided mistake like Dwight.

Bread

Banned
Cousins is a monster, I'd take him any day over a Randle/Okafor frontcourt. They would get torched in the paint.

That #2 pick solidifies either the front court OR the backcourt for the franchise.If they trade it I think it will be another short sided mistake like Dwight.

The #2 can solidify the frountcourt or backcourt assuming that the player pans out. Boogie is already that guy and he still has three years left on his deal, this is nothing at all like the Dwight trade.

You seem to forget how often draft picks turn out to be complete busts.

Maybe they think Townes is a better match with wiggins?

I think Cousins being a headcase is a much bigger worry for a team like the Timberwolves than it is for the Lakers.

*short-sighted
**Dwight had one year left on his deal. Cousins has 3.

I don't think it would be short sided based upon contract length. Just that they could also have a Clarkson/Russell backcourt. S many front court players are in play. I mean if lightning strikes then you can dream about Clarkson/Randle/LMA/Russell/? combo.

I don't think it would be short sided based upon contract length. Just that they could also have a Clarkson/Russell backcourt. S many front court players are in play. I mean if lightning strikes then you can dream about Clarkson/Randle/LMA/Russell/? combo.

Again, what if Russell, Randle, Okafor and/or whoever turn out to be the next Anthony Bennett?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25222603/draft-buzz-possible-landing-spots-for-demarcus-cousins
Karl's former team, Denver, also is a possibility -- with Malone and D'Alessandro there and with Karl pushing the idea of "putting the band back together" from his Nuggets tenure, a person with knowledge of the situation said. League sources say Karl is enamored with the idea of a deal that would send Kenneth Faried, Ty Lawson and Wilson Chandler to Sacramento. The Nuggets, who have the seventh pick, are open to trading Lawson and Chandler. But Faried would be difficult to trade before July since his contract includes a poison-pill provision; his incoming salary for the Kings ($10.45 million) would be vastly greater than his outgoing salary for the Nuggets ($2.25 million) if traded during the current league year.

This is stupid.

spyder_ur

Cousins is also 24 and not coming off back surgery. This is why this whole rumor is crazy. Wouldn't every team be bending over backwards to get him? I mean if you are Minny would you do the number 1 overall for DMC?

I'm not sure. I think if I were Minnesota, I'd be much more worried about Cousins' baggage than if I knew he were going to L.A. I'm not sure why exactly, but that's kind of how I feel.

What do you mean when you're saying this rumor is crazy? It sounds pretty credible to me that they are at least exploring dealing him. And there's obviously plenty of interest. Or are you saying they shouldn't be? I'd agree with the second part, but that franchise is a mess and obviously Karl and he aren't on the same page, not to mention Vivek.

Cousins is a monster, I'd take him any day over a Randle/Okafor frontcourt. They would get torched in the paint.

Yeah, I think the Lakers have some concerns about that which is part of the reason you're hearing a lot of buzz about the Lakers doing something other than taking Okafor at #2. Okafor and Randle would be a problem defensively.

Honestly though, Randle is a total wild-card at this point. There were both basketball questions and injury concerns last year, and then he sat out this year with his second leg injury in three seasons. I'm concerned, which is too bad because I love his game.

I'm not sure. I think if I were Minnesota, I'd be much more worried about Cousins' baggage than if I knew he were going to L.A. I'm not sure why exactly, but that's kind of how I feel.

What do you mean when you're saying this rumor is crazy? It sounds pretty credible to me that they are at least exploring dealing him. And there's obviously plenty of interest. Or are you saying they shouldn't be? I'd agree with the second part, but that franchise is a mess and obviously Karl and he aren't on the same page, not to mention Vivek.

Yeah, I think the Lakers have some concerns about that which is part of the reason you're hearing a lot of buzz about the Lakers doing something other than taking Okafor at #2. Okafor and Randle would be a problem defensively.

Honestly though, Randle is a total wild-card at this point. There were both basketball questions and injury concerns last year, and then he sat out this year with his second leg injury in three seasons. I'm concerned, which is too bad because I love his game.

The part I find crazy is that the kings are so desperate to trade him that they are locking themselves to one team (Lakers) that doesn't have a whole lot assets to trade. Any number of teams could trump whatever the Lakers could offer, and it's not like this is a Melo/Dwight situation where he could leave after next season which really limited Denver and Orlando's trade options in those situations. Either this rumor is a lot of smoke and bluffing or its true and the Kings are more incompetent than the Sterling/Baylor era Clippers (this is not out of the question)

spyder_ur

Who are some of your favorite guys in the draft? Least favorite (for where they'll be picked)?

As guards in the late teens - early second I really like all of Terry Rozier, Delon Wright and Jerian Grant. I feel like all of those guys have good shots to be solid 3rd/combo guards.

I also really like Hollis-Jefferson. Aside from the guys in the top 5 or so, I feel most confident that he'll have a relatively productive, long career. He does a ton of things well.

I'm 100% sold on Russell as a pro and feel like he probably has the highest floor. He was seeing things at an NBA level last year.

I'm down on Kaminsky a bit. Wisconsin ran everything through him, and NBA teams won't do that to play to his strengths, he's not talented enough. I hardly hate him, but I expect to see a bunch of his little spins move layups get thrown back in his face next year. I have no idea what I expect Lyles to be because he was playing out of place on Kentucky.

Myles Turner scares the crap out of me as a Celtics fan because I think there's a decent chance the Celts end up with him - I'm envisioning panic attacks watching him try to defend ball screens.

I love Cauley-Stein though for almost the exact same reasons I dislike Turner, at least for the Cs.

I fucking love the NBA draft. The lack of Simmons podcasts is crushing me right now; I'm following Jonathan Givogny and Chad Ford's radio spots but it's not the same. He would be going insane with Celtics/Lakers/Clips stuff.

Dre3001

Where is this narrative of Cousins being a headcase coming from?

He may have fit the mold of one in Kentucky but since coming to the NBA I have yet to hear any crazy stories about him. I have actually heard more stories about John Wall partying all the time during the regular season and not taking it seriously than of Cousins being a team cancer.

When he was called up to play with Team USA for Coach K last year, he was singing his praises. When Mike Malone was coaching the Kings he praised Cousins and never had anything bad to say about him. Im not understanding where this cancer label is coming from.

Only thing I ever hear about him is him picking up a lot of technical fouls but so do many other players (Dwight Howard) and yet they never get any bad press about it.

From what I have seen he plays hard every game or practice and leaves it all on the court.

If the rumors have any merit to them I truly hope Lakers don't get him. I think Magic should offer #5 pick, Vucevic and maybe throw in Aaron Gordon for him.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I fucking love the NBA draft. The lack of Simmons podcasts is crushing me right now; I'm following Jonathan Givogny and Chad Ford's radio spots but it's not the same. He would be going insane with Celtics/Lakers/Clips stuff.

When is Simmons coming back?

#NotAllEuros: The Perfect Storm Behind Kristaps Porzingis’s Rise

In the past few weeks, Kristaps Porzingis has made something clear to anyone willing to listen:1 I don’t want to be a mystery. And unlike so many foreign players before him, he actually might be able to do something about it. Porzingis has the agency to affect the way he’s perceived by the public, and that’s rare. He might be the most media-friendly international prospect, and he has plenty of outlets in the press — ourselves included — ready and willing to be used as megaphones.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/notalleuros-the-perfect-storm-behind-kristaps-porzingiss-rise/

Fjordson

Where is this narrative of Cousins being a headcase coming from?

He may have fit the mold of one in Kentucky but since coming to the NBA I have yet to hear any crazy stories about him. I have actually heard more stories about John Wall partying all the time during the regular season and not taking it seriously than of Cousins being a team cancer.

When he was called up to play with Team USA for Coach K last year, he was singing his praises. When Mike Malone was coaching the Kings he praised Cousins and never had anything bad to say about him. Im not understanding where this cancer label is coming from.

Only thing I ever hear about him is him picking up a lot of technical fouls but so do many other players (Dwight Howard) and yet they never get any bad press about it.

From what I have seen he plays hard every game or practice and leaves it all on the court.

If the rumors have any merit to them I truly hope Lakers don't get him. I think Magic should offer #5 pick, Vucevic and maybe throw in Aaron Gordon for him.
It's mostly overblown. Even at UK he was fine, great with fans, etc.

He can lose his temper on the court, but as you said, a lot of guys do.

"Per a league source, Minnesota Timberwolves have discussed trading Anthony Bennett, Nos. 31 and 38 to the Boston Celtics for pick No. 28." - @JakeLFischer

Fuck me, I deserve this for making fun of Bennett so much.

Also:

FrBTNVw.jpg

spyder_ur

"Per a league source, Minnesota Timberwolves have discussed trading Anthony Bennett, Nos. 31 and 38 to the Boston Celtics for pick No. 28." - @JakeLFischer

Fuck me, I deserve this for making fun of Bennett so much.

That'd be a good trade for the Celts. Wolves clearing space? Early second round picks are great - cheap shots at upside/risk guys like Upshaw, Alexander, foreign stashes, etc. But they shouldn't be acquiring more picks - this would be in advance of another move I think.

Bennett sucks but he's only a team option past this last guaranteed year.

That reporter said in a later tweet that it's actually 31 and 36, not 38. Celts would have 3 of the top 6 picks in the second round if so.

Monta Ellis decided to opt out making him an UFA.According to Broussard, Miami is interested. That means Wade is gone most likely. But it is Broussard. But I like the idea of Dragic, Ellis backcourt that speed in transition.

"So Celtics trade offer was: Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk, No. 16, with no specific third player to Sixers for Nerlens Noel and No. 3." -@JakeLFischer

I wonder why the Sixers said no.

That'd be a good trade for the Celts. Wolves clearing space? Early second round picks are great - cheap shots at upside/risk guys like Upshaw, Alexander, foreign stashes, etc. But they shouldn't be acquiring more picks - this would be in advance of another move I think.

If this is part of a larger move I'd be ok with it but I don't think the C's really need more second round picks.

edit:

Here's an interesting article with Cousins trade proposals for every team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...avorite-nba-team-trading-for-demarcus-cousins

always a good sign for a team whose biggest problem was depth. Doc is such a good GM.

I don't think any coach should have that power, it just doesn't make sense.

It is funny, because I read George Karl's response to Cousins trade rumors. Somebody needs to tell him he has no control of basketball operations lol.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25223135

It's always worth a shot with the Sixers. Who the hell knows what they might do.

Will there be a draft thread tomorrow?

I might get a thread done for tomorrow.

George Karl says he wants DeMarcus Cousins to be committed to Kings
By James Herbert / NBA writer
June 23, 2015 08:58 PM ET
Sacramento Kings head coach George Karl spoke with the Sacramento Bee's Randy Pench during a kids golf clinic on Tuesday, addressing his reported rift with center DeMarcus Cousins.

"I think it’s just a lot of crazy, crazy fibs and lies," Karl said. "You know, it’s just a situation where we won 29 games last year and for us as a basketball organization, we want to get better. I mean, Cuz is our best player, we know that. We want him committed and dedicated to being in Sacramento and playing and leading us to our first playoffs in Sacramento in six, seven, eight, nine years."

The question was then asked directly: "You are not interested in trading DeMarcus Cousins?" Karl evaded it.

"My interest right now is commitment, trust and building a team that’s excited about being in Sacramento, excited and committed to being a good basketball team and representing the city of Sacramento," he said.

Next question: "And that includes, in your mind, Cousins staying here?"

"If he comes committed, I’m 120 percent into making him the best basketball player he could ever be," Karl said.

Next: "Do you have some question about his commitment?"

"The 30 games I coached him, I mean, we were all frustrated with losing," Karl said. "I was only here for 30 games, and so the frustration I'm sure was double that for Cuz and all the players who were here for the whole season."

Fjordson

This is probably a dumb question, but what's the difference between a GM and "President of Basketball Operations"? Especially when a club has both?

Looking at the Warriors staff, it just has Bob Myers as the GM listed first and then goes down from there (with Steve Kerr as just head coach).

But looking at a team like the Clippers, they have Doc Rivers listed first as "President of Basketball Operations and Head Coach" and they also have a GM (Dave Wohl).

Spurs also have a President of Basketball Operations in addition to a GM (Coach Pop and R.C. Buford).

So who does what and is either more powerful than the other within the organization?

GM and coach answer to Pres of Operations, I believe. I would imagine their actual job duties can vary from place to place though. There might be some places where the Pres is more hands off or lets the GM handle most of the roster management stuff. I'm sure Pop and RC Buford collaborate on most stuff, whereas on the other hand I'm sure if Doc wants to make a trade or signinge, he only needs to run it by the owner and doesn't need his GM to sign off.

Fjordson

GM and coach answer to Pres of Operations, I believe. I would imagine their actual job duties can vary from place to place though.
Damn, so if the President of Ops and the Coach is the same (like Doc or Pop) even the GM is technically below them?

It's just interesting since some teams don't even have the President of Bball Ops title anywhere. Seems to basically mean "hey, our coach also gets to make roster decisions".

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Generally, GM is the highest front office basketball title besides owner. When there's a President, he outranks GM. The Heat for example have Pat Riley as president and one of his lieutenants as GM. So when there's a president, that guy has the real GM powers.

Speaking of the Heat, tomorrow we draft Dwyane Wade's replacement. Feels sad man. 12 years of making us relevant and this is how it ends. Over money. Sigh.

"Kevon Looney just said when he had dinner w/ Knicks, someone threw a brownie at the table and it hit a staff member." -@arkcrawford

That person is already the best shooter on the Knicks, Phil's gonna offer him a 5 year $90M deal.

Fjordson

Generally, GM is the highest front office basketball title besides owner. When there's a President, he outranks GM. The Heat for example have Pat Riley as president and one of his lieutenants as GM. So when there's a president, that guy has the real GM powers.
Ah okay, interesting.

Yeah looking at the Heat's website, they have Riley listed way up top as just President. Like way up right underneath the Arisons. And their GM also has the title of "Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations"

Kinda interesting how many different configurations there are. For some reason I always just assumed there was a GM and a coach and that was it, aside from exceptions like Doc in LA.

Top Bottom