• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

If you mean to the Lakers it ain't happening. Lakers wouldn't be parading D'Angelo Russell around the way they are to just turn around and trade him, and the Kings seemingly listened to the fan/media backlash and don't want to trade DMC anymore anyway.

Of course I do. They are my favorite team of all time.

That's good to get some placation. I hope Russell turns out to be a DYNAMIC and glorious scorer in the vein of Curry and Harden. Not saying I want him to be better than those two (because I believe that those two teams deserve a great player), but yeah.

Of course I do. They are my favorite team of all time.

That's good to get some placation. I hope Russell turns out to be a DYNAMIC and glorious scorer in the vein of Curry and Harden. Not saying I want him to be better than those two (because I believe that those two teams deserve a great player), but yeah.

I think the Lakers realized they should be able to add a big through free agency without giving up any valuable assets (other than money, which they have plenty of). I mean, LaMarcus Aldridge or Kevin Love or even DeAndre Jordan might not be as good as DMC (especially considering his age and contract), but you can potentially get those guys withouth having to give up all of your assets. This is probably part of the reason they passed on Okafor for Russell too.

Saw this quote response by Kobe

Kobe is asked about not being a great friend all the time.
His response: "Friends come and go but banners hang forever."

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I don't think we will ever see a player with such a killer instinct as Kobe for a long, long time. I'm gonna miss this crazy motherfucker. *sigh*

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
One thing I thought today, that hasn't been talked about, with the Lakers D'Angelo Russell pick that pretty much means that Russell Westbrook won't be coming home to LA. Or is that still a possibility? I was pretty convinced Westbrook would find his way to LA after Durant bounces.

It all depends on how D'Angelo plays but if he's a solid PG early in his career (which all indications seem he'll be) why throw all that money at Westbrook?

zychi

Banned
One thing I thought today, that hasn't been talked about, with the Lakers D'Angelo Russell pick that pretty much means that Russell Westbrook won't be coming home to LA. Or is that still a possibility? I was pretty convinced Westbrook would find his way to LA after Durant bounces.

It all depends on how D'Angelo plays but if he's a solid PG early in his career (which all indications seem he'll be) why throw all that money at Westbrook?

He could end up on pretty much any Cali team besides GS at this point. I think Westbrook goes to to a team that has a chance to win. He's super competitive.

Westbrook has another year after this year on his contract and the Lakers probably won't have enough to trade for him before then.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The NBA is gonna miss his crazy desire and drive. What happened to players of his ilk?
Athletes and sports management figured out that a fake persona and a smile is more marketable than laser focused desire to win at all costs.

Being "Humble" and/or "Well-spoken" is easier to market than having a "Killer instinct" and/or "Winning-mentality".

The moment you start that Alpha-dog "I'm a winner- you can't stop me" shit, the media and fans come down on you hard. Just ask Kobe, Richard Sherman, etc..

Athletes and sports management figured out that a fake persona and a smile is more marketable than laser focused desire to win at all costs.

Being "Humble" and/or "Well-spoken" is easier to market than having a "Killer instinct" and/or "Winning-mentality".

The moment you start that Alpha-dog "I'm a winner- you can't stop me" shit, the media and fans come down on you hard. Just ask Kobe, Richard Sherman, etc..

if you remember early in Kobe's career they tried to to do the same thing. Adidas and Sprite tried to turn him into this happy go-lucky golden boy and it failed miserably because it wasn't really him.

q7yh3uttze4md2pwfccb.gif

Bowser

BTW, damn Okafor looks in shape tho. Shed all the baby fat he carried at Duke. Wouldn't be surprised if he puts it back on now that he's in Philly lol. Mad as fuck, he's bout to just cram cheesesteaks down his gullet.

Brian Windhorst
‏@WindhorstESPN

LeBron James has notified the Cavs he will opt out of his contract and become a free agent, sources told ESPN

Come to the Knicks, Bron

zychi

Banned
Everyone expected this. He'll probably do it again next season. It's to ensure he can cash in at the maximum rate once the cap goes way up next offseason.

So why opt out this year if he's going to get basically the same amount of money by re-signing a 1 year deal?

if you remember early in Kobe's career they tried to to do the same thing. Adidas and Sprite tried to turn him into this happy go-lucky golden boy and it failed miserably because it wasn't really him.

It failed because he went to court for rape. It was going pretty well until then. He got out of his adidas deal because of it.

zychi

Banned
He can't leave Cleveland anyways after that letter. Well he could but the public outcry would be hilarious, so so funny.

Nah, everyone outside of CLE hates Lebron already. People still bought his jersey the first time he threw Cle away. If he does it again, it just shows how stupid CLE fans were to accept him back.

That being said, wherever he lands, the owner and GM need to control his bullshit like Riley did. He has too much control in Cle, and it hurts the team

it's not the same though
http://deadspin.com/lebrons-going-to-opt-out-but-dont-panic-1684972298

He's maximizing his dollar amounts. He's one of the few guys that can afford to do this because your average player would be scared of getting injured and take the sure thing.

So a guy who is worth ~$380 mil, and makes most of it via endorsements ($53 mil in 14 according to google), is opting out to make $3mil more, which could be used towards signing another player.

Unbelievable.

Bowser

Nah, everyone outside of CLE hates Lebron already. People still bought his jersey the first time he threw Cle away. If he does it again, it just shows how stupid CLE fans were to accept him back.

That being said, wherever he lands, the owner and GM need to control his bullshit like Riley did. He has too much control in Cle, and it hurts the team

"Wherever he lands" - he's not going anywhere dude. He's not even taking visits.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cavs still have to be scared shitless because Love + James leaving is a pretty realistic scenario. Assuming hes going to be back is exactly how the Heat got burned.

Can't really see him going anywhere else though. Because of the money and because he'd look like the biggest loser in the world. Should go back home to Miami. Dragic - Wade - Winslow - Lebron - Bosh. Cavs left with everything burned to the ground, again.

So a guy who is worth ~$380 mil, and makes most of it via endorsements ($53 mil in 14 according to google), is opting out to make $3mil more, which could be used towards signing another player.

Unbelievable.

They are going to be over the cap, way over, so no that $3 million could not be used to sign another player. It'd either go to LeBron or in Dan Gilbert's pocket. LeBron is doing this to prove a point. He and some other players were really irked by the way the owners behaved during the last lockout so he's making it a point to take every dollar he can, and I don't blame him. The owners and the league have brainwashed fans into thinking every player should leave money on the table when the reality is that 90% of the time all that does is mean the owners can keep more money for themselves.

Unbelievable.

That's a moot point since Tristian and Love are about to get gigantic deals, the Cavs are going to have no cap room anyways.

zychi

Banned
They are going to be over the cap, way over, so no that $3 million could not be used to sign another player. It'd either go to LeBron or in Dan Gilbert's pocket.

How do you figure they'll be "way over" the cap? There's like 4 people total on the team right now. Surely a smart owner would adjust to that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If all Love cares about is money then hes leaving. A 2 year deal into the booming cap is something he'd be thinking about and if he wants to do that then he needs to go to a team where he can pad his stats.

How do you figure they'll be "way over" the cap? There's like 4 people total on the team right now. Surely a smart owner would adjust to that.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland_cavaliers/ They're going to be way over once Love and Tristian sign deals plus who knows how much Shump will get. Also the site for some reason doesn't have the proper cap value for Kyrie.

Edit:

Here's a better site - http://www.basketballinsiders.com/cleveland-cavaliers-team-salary/

zychi

Banned
You don't know if any of those 3 are signing back up for sure. Love would be smart to do a 1 year deal.

Yeah but the smart money is on at least Tristian and Love coming back on max deals and Shump coming back on at least a bigger deal than he is making now.

Math? Just with the players they have now and the cap holds for guys with bird rights and player options they are at $88 million in salary on the books. The salary cap is $69 million. Even if they let Kevin Love walk and renounced Tristian Thompson's bird rights they would be over the cap and that $3 million would be useless to them other than to let Dan Gilbert make his yacht payment. I know you desperately want to spin this as "LeBron is greedy and/or leaving Cleveland again!" but there is nothing there to go on. LIke, literally for a year people have been expecting both Love and LeBron to opt out. It's not a story.

Cavs still have to be scared shitless because Love + James leaving is a pretty realistic scenario. Assuming hes going to be back is exactly how the Heat got burned.

Can't really see him going anywhere else though. Because of the money and because he'd look like the biggest loser in the world. Should go back home to Miami. Dragic - Wade - Winslow - Lebron - Bosh. Cavs left with everything burned to the ground, again.

Riley holds grudges, don't know if he'd take him back for what he wants to make.

Tom Penny

If all Love cares about is money then hes leaving. A 2 year deal into the booming cap is something he'd be thinking about and if he wants to do that then he needs to go to a team where he can pad his stats.

Or he'll just sign max with a player option clause and enter FA again with the larger cap.

Or he'll just sign max with a player option clause and enter FA again with the larger cap.

There's been some talk that Love may have been scared by this shoulder injury and might just take a max deal now, but yeah most likely he does the opt out thing again too. The guys that do that are going to make monster fucking money.

That gif. Feel bad for him man, he probably thought he was going to be a Laker based on the reports and how high the Lakers were on him. With Isaiah Canaan as your starting PG. 76ers will continue probably be at the bottom of the East again. I hope they never get that superstar they want in the draft. Continue to loop in mediocrity.

Top Bottom