• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

a team with LMA and kawhi plus timmy and co would be something stupidly difficult to compete against.

WOJ BOMB

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m1 minute ago
Yahoo Sources: Sacramento probing Kentucky's John Calipari about interest in running front office and coaching. http://yhoo.it/1duKsyS

He'd be an idiot to go there with the way they're burning bridges with Karl. the Kings are the west coast knicks.

Bowser

WOJ BOMB

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m1 minute ago
Yahoo Sources: Sacramento probing Kentucky's John Calipari about interest in running front office and coaching. http://yhoo.it/1duKsyS

The Sacramento Kings are probing University of Kentucky coach John Calipari about his interest in taking over the franchise's front-office and coaching jobs, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Calipari has been communicating with owner Vivek Ranadive and other members of the Kings ownership group in recent weeks, league sources said. Calipari has listened to scenarios with which the Kings could offer him complete control of the franchise's fledgling basketball operations to go along with coaching, league sources said.

No formal offer has been made to Calipari, and Kings ownership understands that it will take a multiyear financial package of $10 million-plus annually to get Calipari to seriously consider leaving Kentucky, sources said.

$10m+ mah god

CIwSCGoWoAAFC7F.jpg:large

Oh and Ridnour got traded again.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
a team with LMA and kawhi plus timmy and co would be something stupidly difficult to compete against.
Absolutely, if they can get lucky and stay healthy at the same time. Which is unlikely. Also, say goodbye to the Spurs depth which is more important for their fragile core more than ever.

Oh, and is Timmy playing center for 82 games or are they going to divvy it up? They pretty much have to I guess.

Cavs, spurred by LeBron James, have strong interest in Mike Dunleavy

Would support.

Blue Devil.
Sources told ESPN.com that Cleveland plans to pursue Dunleavy in free agency, which begins after midnight Tuesday, with Cavs star LeBron James foremost among the Dunleavy admirers in the organization.

But sources stressed this week that Dunleavy, much like Bulls restricted free agent Jimmy Butler, is likely to stay with Chicago

"Sources: After CHI offered @JimmyButler max 5/$90-plus Mon, JB postponed meeting w/LAL, BOS, PHI, DAL. JB deciding how many yrs 2 sign w/CHI" - @Chris_Broussard

Wait, he was actually going to meet with the C's?

Raptors probably going to trade Ridnour again. Something is happening on the trade front for them can't wait. This is probably for Masai as it will either create his own TPE, or just waive him.

Luke Ridnour was traded three times in his first 4,381 days in the NBA.
He's been traded four times in the last seven days.

Bowser

"Sources: After CHI offered @JimmyButler max 5/$90-plus Mon, JB postponed meeting w/LAL, BOS, PHI, DAL. JB deciding how many yrs 2 sign w/CHI" - @Chris_Broussard

Fuck the Cs, he was going to meet with the Hinkies? WTF?

Celtics need a guard.

Also I'm sure Calipari is just itching to leave his cushy gig babysitting five star recruits to go work for the guy that goes through head coaches like Amber Rose goes through rappers.

"For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position." - @UKCoachCalipari

Usually I'd dismiss this as posturing but he really does have the best coaching job in the world. He'll probably end up getting a pay raise out of these rumors.

Gigglepoo

I wouldn't touch a dude coming off an achilles (and nearing 30) with a multiyear deal.

If you're not a destination city, it might be smart to gamble on Matthews. He's an incredible player when healthy. Yeah, the contract could blow up in your face, but that's a risk you have to take in a smaller market.

"For the 100th time, I have the best basketball coaching position in the world. I am not looking for any other coaching position." - @UKCoachCalipari

Usually I'd dismiss this as posturing but he really does have the best coaching job in the world. He'll probably end up getting a pay raise out of these rumors.

He gives himself wiggle room by stating he insn't looking for another COACHING job.

Someone gives him a nice front office/coaching position ala SVG in Detroit and he'll jump on it.

Which is exactly what the Kings seem to be offering.

Smooth move Calipari.

zychi

Banned

Cal aint leaving until some recruiting violations/something else pops up. He's staying as long as he can like Pete Carroll did at USC.

Why would Coach Cal give up stability to join the Kings? So Swaggy V is now trying to undermine George Karl and Divac. Lol This ownership is a joke, an absolute joke.

He gives himself wiggle room by stating he insn't looking for another COACHING job.

Someone gives him a nice front office/coaching position ala SVG in Detroit and he'll jump on it.

Which is exactly what the Kings seem to be offering.

Smooth move Calipari.

I think the Kings would have to give him an absolutely insane salary to give up on what he has at UK. He's already making about 7 million a year.

Ronin Ray

I wish the spurs would re sign Danny Green at a reasonable salary, then make a run at Paul Millsap and Tyson Chandler or purse Marc Gasol. I think both of these options would be better then signing LMA. If they do get LMA I hope they have a plan to replace everyone they will have to lose.

Bowser

I wish the spurs would re sign Danny Green at a reasonable salary, then make a run at Paul Millsap and Tyson Chandler or purse Marc Gasol. I think both of these options would be better then signing LMA. If they do get LMA I hope they have a plan to replace everyone they will have to lose.

Gasol isn't going anywhere. He's meeting with the Grizz at midnight in Spain (believe that's 6-7pm ET in the US) and he's not meeting with anyone else.

ViciousDS

Banned
Gasol isn't going anywhere. He's meeting with the Grizz at midnight in Spain (believe that's 6-7pm ET in the US) and he's not meeting with anyone else.

was hoping he would come play with his brother in Chicago. We do a sign and trade Gibson and Noah for him (something along those lines.)

I'd like this pickup. I'd like it a lot. A player who can come in for LBJ and keep points going up on the board. Fuck yes. Make this shit happen, CLE.

With SF addressed, all that would remain is the backup PG position. Dellevadova is a 3rd stringer at best, and a D-Leaguer in my opinion. A very capable backup who can play 20 minutes/game like Mo Williams would be ideal. I don't know who's available and who the Cavs can afford, but I hope they can shore that position up. There is real depth at every other position IF they can resign Love and score Dunleavey.

Fingers crossed.

Gigglepoo

Memphis should sign Danny Green. He's exactly the type of player that they need -- excellent long-range shooter and one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

Gigglepoo

man he really would be a great addition to the Bucks. That's a scary team with all that length plus Green's shooting.

I kind of love where the Bucks are headed. Bunch of 6'7" athletes who can guard four positions. Even a question mark like Carter-Williams is a great fit. He has the absolutely perfect coach for his skill set. Kidd is the worst-shooting hall-of-fame point guard ever. If anyone can teach him how to excel without range, it's Kidd. Should be a fascinating team going forward, especially if Giannis lives up to his potential.

Danny Green sign and trade

Real talk, the Cavs can basically only sign-and-trade a player out, not in.

Teams that receive a free agent via a sign-and-trade are hard-capped at the luxury-tax apron ($4 million above the tax line). If Cleveland paid Aldridge or another free agent such as Paul Millsap the maximum salary in a sign-and-trade after re-signing James at the max, the team would be limited to spending about $7.6 million on its other free agents -- enough to sign one of Smith or Iman Shumpert but surely not both and not likely sufficient for Thompson alone. While the Cavaliers might gain a little added flexibility by dumping Varejao's contract using draft picks, adding a maximum-salary free agent would gut the rest of their rotation -- assuming those free agents and their former teams are interested in the first place.

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/13166978/nba-cleveland-cavaliers-re-sign-kevin-love

Obviously, Green wouldn't be a max contract, but they'd still have little room to cover their own free agents before they'd run up against the suddenly hard salary cap.

Incidentally, that linked article is all about why resigning Love is essentially a no brainer for Cleveland. The Love-Kyrie-LeBron-Mozgov-Smith lineup was ridiculous, LeBron was more efficient with Love on the court than not, and the Love-Mozgov combo was actually better defensively than Thompson-Mozgov, despite Love's turnstile reputation.

Gigglepoo

The Cavs would be better if they could trade Love for Green. Obviously, it would never happen, and the Spurs wouldn't want Love anyway, but it's still interesting to think about.

phanphare

Banned
I'd like this pickup. I'd like it a lot. A player who can come in for LBJ and keep points going up on the board. Fuck yes. Make this shit happen, CLE.

With SF addressed, all that would remain is the backup PG position. Dellevadova is a 3rd stringer at best, and a D-Leaguer in my opinion. A very capable backup who can play 20 minutes/game like Mo Williams would be ideal. I don't know who's available and who the Cavs can afford, but I hope they can shore that position up. There is real depth at every other position IF they can resign Love and score Dunleavey.

Fingers crossed.

yall might just end up with mo williams again, it was reported he wanted to play for cleveland again

Top Bottom