• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

spyder_ur

History says otherwise. Without LeBron, they haven't gotten out of the first round since their championship season. That's what happens when your best player is so often injured.

What? It's been one season. Bosh is probably their best player at this point, too.

History says otherwise. Without LeBron, they haven't gotten out of the first round since their championship season. That's what happens when your best player is so often injured.

Most of that history didn't have Bosh or Dragic. But honestly if they're healthy a team of Dragic, Wade, Deng, Bosh and Whiteside with Winslow coming off the bench is one of the better teams in the east.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Cavs and Heat will be in the ECF. Barring we don't have another Final Destination season.

Not really saying much in the east. Wiz and Bulls, Heat and Cavs. That's about it. Rest are trash. And none of those teams are going to challenge the Cavs in any meaningful way.

Gigglepoo, you know they had one of the most unlucky seasons ever in regards to injuries last year right?

As a cavs fan, i expect that you would know what injuries could do to a competitive team.

I think that is overblown. Is having Kobe on the roster right now helping the Lakers sign free agents?

I think this is it. Top guys are going to go:

1. Where they can get paid.
2. Where they have a chance to complete for titles
3. Places with intangibles like South Beach and no income tax

The Heat will always have #3 but if Wade limits points 1 and 2 its going to make signing guys harder, not easier.

commish

Did you miss the fact that their best player went down with a season ending injury?

Heat were 22-30 when Bosh went down. Not sure what your point is. Oh, right, you meant to say, "just wait until Bosh and the Dragon play together for a full season!" :p

Gigglepoo

Gigglepoo, you know they had one of the most unlucky seasons ever in regards to injuries last year right?

'06 Championship
'07 First Round Sweep
'08 Missed Playoffs
'09 First Round Loss
'10 First Round Loss

'11-14 LeBron saves the day

'15 Missed playoffs

That's six seasons. I know anything could happen going forward; I'm just pointing out how they've fared without LeBron for the last six seasons.

As a cavs fan, i expect that you would know what injuries could do to a competitive team.

What the hell...? I'm a Pacers fan! And injuries are kind of the point. Wade started his career as a phenom but he's been broken down for more than a decade.

Not really saying much in the east. Wiz and Bulls, Heat and Cavs. That's about it. Rest are trash. And none of those teams are going to challenge the Cavs in any meaningful way.

I'm just saying we're not a first round exit team. We're also not a championship ready team either.

'06 Championship
'07 First Round Sweep
'08 Missed Playoffs
'09 First Round Loss
'10 First Round Loss

LeBron saves the day

'15 Missed playoffs

That's six seasons. I know anything could happen going forward; I'm just pointing out how they've fared without LeBron for the last six seasons.

What the hell...? I'm a Pacers fan!
Shit, that proves my point even more : P

also, Wade was the only all star on those teams. Shaq was breaking down after he got his ring (hell, he was barely anything more than a distraction on offense during those Finals) and wade was trying to carry some scrubs to the playoffs. Just ask Kobe how well that works.

jmizzal

Miami's roster is looking solid, but I'd be shocked if they're healthy in the postseason.

Wade and Bosh didnt have to play 4 rounds of playoff games, so they have a full offseason to get healthy.

Even if Wade is healthy next year, Miami still needs to do the Pop thing and sit him for games, they have enough talent to get by with that.

plus the crew the heat have this year never even played together for a full year. Look at how much better the Cavs were once they had good players playing with LeBron, Irving and Love.

This Heat roster is really good

Gigglepoo

You can jump on our bandwagon if you want. This is the year Kobe takes us back to the promised land.

If I had known growing up how unlikely it is for a small-market NBA team to win, I would have jumped on some other team's ride. But I loved Reggie, what could I do?

spyder_ur

What would be the dollar figure on a Wade max? Really, more important than that is the length - 2 or 3 years would be fine, longer than that might be an issue.

People are way overboard on Wade. Players like Demarre Carroll and Khris Middleton are getting $14-15M per on a long-term deal, and Dwyane Wade wanting max money for 2-3 years is outlandish?

spyder_ur

If I had known growing up how unlikely it is for a small-market NBA team to win, I would have jumped on some other team's ride. But I loved Reggie, what could I do?

OKC, Spurs, Indiana, Cleveland have all had a ton of success recently. You hear alot about the Knicks and Lakers so it can feel like big markets is a huge advantage, but it just hasn't been the case.

Heat were 22-30 when Bosh went down. Not sure what your point is. Oh, right, you meant to say, "just wait until Bosh and the Dragon play together for a full season!" :p

Yeah but Bosh was playing terribly for almost a month before he was hospitalized. His numbers were really bad for a while and people were suspecting he was hiding an injury. Even during the all star break, it came out that it was thought that Bosh had tweak a rib/chest injury. It wasn't known that he had a blood clot till shortly after. We were also missing McBob for the whole season, who was supposed to start for our team.

But had we not had all those issues we wouldn't have given Whiteside the playing time needed to see that he was actually pretty decent. So the season wasn't a total bust

What would be the dollar figure on a Wade max? Really, more important than that is the length - 2 or 3 years would be fine, longer than that might be an issue.

People are way overboard on Wade. Players like Demarre Carroll and Khris Middleton are getting $14-15M per on a long-term deal, and Dwyane Wade wanting max money for 2-3 years is outlandish?

Demarre Carroll and Middleton are in their primes and have desirable skill sets. Wade is a broken chucked and you will get lucky to get 2/3 of a season out of him. Id take either of those guys (throw Danng Green in that convo) at $14-15 million a year than Wade at $10-12 million a year every day of the week.

Fjordson

Yeah, Wade is no bueno at this point imo. Not that he can't have good games, but I'll be surprised if he plays over 60 games this year.

Gigglepoo

OKC, Spurs, Indiana, Cleveland have all had a ton of success recently. You hear alot about the Knicks and Lakers so it can feel like big markets is a huge advantage, but it just hasn't been the case.

Only the Spurs have had prolonged success, though, and actually won titles. I'm lucky my team is well run so the Pacers have gone deep in the playoffs frequently throughout my fandom, but the margin of error is so much smaller.

Still, it's not like a big market guarantees success. It's twice as disgraceful how terrible the Knicks are and the Clippers were considering the cities they play.

dream

Let's not forget the marketing aspect of it. Laker fans want to see Kobe. Miami fans want to see DWade.

For the record, though, I'm pretty sure the Heat are overpaying for the Dragon. I guess they had to, but I'm guessing they come to regret it in 2 years. Then again, if cap goes up a ton as expected, maybe not.

Boston fans wanted to see Paul Pierce too. Sometimes you have to let go of the past in order to preserve your future.

Boston fans wanted to see Paul Pierce too. Sometimes you have to let go of the past in order to preserve your future.

yeah but look at Boston now. They're getting nothing done, couldn't even get a top 10 pick for 6 picks. Ainge doesn't have a lot of time left to keep trying to Hinkie something together.

jmizzal

The Wade issue is they cant overpay him and risk losing out on giving the max to somebody like Durrant next year. Now next year if Wade was a FA they could sign Durrant with their cap room and then resign Wade to what ever he wants since they have his bird rights.

Its a tricky situation do you just keep Wade happy or risk not being able to max a young superstar next summer.

off the books next year is Birdman, Chalmers, and Deng, then everbody else has cheap contracts outside of Gragic, Bosh and Whiteside coming up, Wade needs to take the right deal

Bread

Banned
yeah but look at Boston now. They're getting nothing done, couldn't even get a top 10 pick for 6 picks. Ainge doesn't have a lot of time left to keep trying to Hinkie something together.
Boston blew it up like 3 years ago and they already made it back to the playoffs. Their future is bright, even if they couldn't get Winslow in the draft.

I'm hoping for Harris and Biyombo in FA, then they should have some nice young talent at every position for years.

spyder_ur

Demarre Carroll and Middleton are in their primes and have desirable skill sets. Wade is a broken chucked and you will get lucky to get 2/3 of a season out of him. Id take either of those guys (throw Danng Green in that convo) at $14-15 million a year than Wade at $10-12 million a year every day of the week.

Dwyane Wade has a plenty desirable skill set. I understand the concern about Wade and why those other guys are getting paid, but the debate has moved way too far.

commish

I can agree with that.

I honestly don't think being in a small market is a big hindrance for NBA teams in light of the cap.

Gigglepoo

I don't understand why this is so complicated. The Heat need to pay Wade under the table like the Mavs/Dirk and the Spurs/Duncan. What's the hold up? Does Wade just need to have those flashy headlines proclaiming a ridiculous contract to satiate his ego? The guy is a heat lifer, we all know it, give him part ownership and call it a day.

The Wade issue is they cant overpay him and risk losing out on giving the max to somebody like Durrant next year. Now next year if Wade was a FA they could sign Durrant with their cap room and then resign Wade to what ever he wants since they have his bird rights.

Its a tricky situation do you just keep Wade happy or risk not being able to max a young superstar next summer.

off the books next year is Birdman, Chalmers, and Deng, then everbody else has cheap contracts outside of Gragic, Bosh and Whiteside coming up, Wade needs to take the right deal

It might not be that easy even when the cap space increasing next. They have to resign Whiteside and won't have his bird rights, and would still have to account for a cap hold for Wade even if they do a one year opt out

spyder_ur

Totally true, but the Heat aren't going to get 4 or 5 first round picks for letting go of the Wade era and they're also not in rebuilding mode.

Ainge has plenty of time. The Celtics were actually a good team down the stretch of the season last year is the big difference between them and some of the other rebuilds.

His shooting has gone to shit now that he doesn't have the energy, health or athleticism to get to the rim at will.

He's never had a solid mid to long range game. He's still really efficient, just that he's only good for 60 games a season and that he thinks he can keep going into the paint when father time will make that an issue for him in the next couple of years.

dream

Totally true, but the Heat aren't going to get 4 or 5 first round picks for letting go of the Wade era.

No, but they do get a ton of flexibility. Even if they can't land a max deal superstar, they could just fill their roster with solid pieces the way a team like, I dunno, Milwaukee does.

spyder_ur

Alexis Ajinca get $20M over for year to stay in New Orleans. Wow. It's the new NBA. I wonder what Lopez gets.

The thought of signing Harris and Lopez is looking much more difficult.

spyder_ur

You know, I legitimately have no idea who Alexis Ajinca is.

You know, I think you could watch a decent amount of NBA basketball and not know who Khris Middleton, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Alexis Ajinca are. Those three guys signed contracts for a combined $120M.

Top Bottom