• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Bowser

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m5 minutes ago
Jimmy Butler, Chicago Bulls finalizing a five-year, $95M maximum contract with player option after four years, league sources tell Yahoo.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m4 minutes ago
Teams pursuing Butler, a restricted free agent, with offer sheets have given up and moved on, league sources tell Yahoo.

ESPN sources tell @WindhorstESPN & I that Cavs and Tristan Thompson are nearing agreement on deal that will pay the RFA in excess of $80 mil - Marc Stein

Give me Love.

spyder_ur

a lot of guys could probably do that if you gave the 1/3 of the season off. But I'm sure his injury issues will get better as he gets older. Makes total sense.

A lot? Name 5, but I think you're probably just exaggerating.

I get that you think Wade shouldn't be signed and that's fine, but it's gone a little far.

A lot? Name 5, but I think you're probably just exaggerating.

I get that you think Wade shouldn't be signed and that's fine, but it's gone a little far.

It's not going to far. The fact that he can only give you 50-60 games worth of production should factor heavily in his worth? The NBA season is a grind. Look at what taking 2 weeks off did for LeBron. You telling me that if you gave every guy 2 weeks off, or every third day off, it wouldn't do wonders for their production?

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-love-cavaliers-unfinished-business/

I’m going back to Cleveland.

After Game 1 of the NBA Finals, that’s when it really struck me. Sitting on the sidelines, I never wanted to play in a game more than that one. I had dreamed of playing in the NBA Finals and I just wanted to help my guys win. I couldn’t have been prouder of them as they poured their blood, sweat and tears onto the court.

Yeah, of course I’ve heard the free agency rumors. But at the end of the day, and after meeting with my teammates (it turns out pools are great meeting places) and with the front office, it was clear Cleveland was the place for me. We’re all on the same page and we’re all in. We have unfinished business and now it’s time to get back to work.

Fuck you Kevin Love.

Gigglepoo

It's not going to far. The fact that he can only give you 50-60 games worth of production should factor heavily in his worth? The NBA season is a grind. Look at what taking 2 weeks off did for LeBron. You telling me that if you gave every guy 2 weeks off, or every third day off, it wouldn't do wonders for their production?

Plus, all of those missed games means the Heat have a worse record at the end of the season. That's one of the reasons why you see so many first-round exits in the last decade. No one is denying that Wade was incredible at the start of his career, but availability matters, and he hasn't been reliable for a long time.

Any GM would rather have Middleton for 80 games than Wade for 50.

Damn why would anyone play football when scrub lords in the NBA can easily get $40-50+ mil

If you have the skill, NBA and MLB are the way to go. No question about that. Baseball bores me out of my mind but I'd happily sit on a bench for 18 years if I got a fat paycheck

Wow, it's not a small deal either.

"Kevin Love will accept a five-year, $110 million contract extension with the Cavs according to sources" - Brian Windhorst

spyder_ur

No, I'm telling you that even if you did that for every NBA player, very very few would still be able to provide what Wade can at that position. I don't think there are 5.

Man, guys like Kemba, Lowery, and Ty who are on 4 year, $48m contracts are straight up bargains these days.

I feel much better about Bradley's deal and downright dirty about what Isaiah Thomas is getting paid. That really might be the best contract in the league.

0.jpg

"How 'bout Brook Lopez and Austin Rivers?"

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Daaamn; gonna have 4 players making crazy money in Cleveland - Kyrie (who will be a bargain near the end of his extension), TT, LeBron, and Kevin Love. Gonna be like 18 + 16 + 22 + 22 a year for those 4 alone? 78 million right there.

For maximum lulz, the projected cap in two years would allow them to sign a max player on top of that. (assuming they got rid of everyone else).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You'll know he's holding Dan's feet to the fire if Shumpert and Smith get maxed.

JR is counter-productive to the success of any team. He just is. Makes dumb plays, takes dumb shots. He gets hot once and again and you see what he could be, then he lays an egg for 3 or 4 games and pouts. A stiff.

Shump is good. They will need him back at a reasonable price.

No, I'm telling you that even if you did that for every NBA player, very very few would still be able to provide what Wade can at that position. I don't think there are 5.

What he provides does not outweigh the possibility of resigning Whiteside and making a FA play for Durant next summer. What I am saying is that Wade is not worth what he is asking for. 20/5/5 is just some arbitrary, meaningless standard (especially when you can't stay healthy enough to do it for a full season). Tyreke Evans put up 20/5/5 as a rookie, what did that end up meaning for him?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Daaamn; gonna have 4 players making crazy money in Cleveland - Kyrie (who will be a bargain near the end of his extension), TT, LeBron, and Kevin Love. Gonna be like 18 + 16 + 22 + 22 a year for those 4 alone? 78 million right there.

For maximum lulz, the projected cap in two years would allow them to sign a max player on top of that. (assuming they got rid of everyone else).

This is exactly why they are paying these big prices. Everyone expects the cap to go up by so much. TT is overpriced in 2015, but probably won't be in 2017.

Damn, Lebron making Gilbert pay for that runaway slave letter he sent. Gilbert gonna be broke and ringless for a while with contracts like those he's handing out.

Gigglepoo

This is exactly why they are paying these big prices. Everyone expects the cap to go up by so much. TT is overpriced in 2015, but probably won't be in 2017.

Is he overpayed, though? He a destructive force on the glass and a very good defender. Those are two necessary ingredients for a championship team. I'd gladly shell out big bucks for him.

dream

I'm not even sure that 20/5/5 is the right standard for excellence. I bet players like Jeremy Lin, Deron Williams, and Mo Gotti could put those numbers up if they tried.

JR is counter-productive to the success of any team. He just is. Makes dumb plays, takes dumb shots. He gets hot once and again and you see what he could be, then he lays an egg for 3 or 4 games and pouts. A stiff.

Smith isn't getting maxed and Shumpert's probably getting around 9m per

It was a LeBron owns Gilbert joke, not an actual prediction!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Huh, I'm surprised. I thought he'd hitch his wagon to LeBron. Now he's stuck in Cleveland for the remainder for his prime no matter what The King does.

Love has had a history of injuries though. He may want to make sure he's maximizing his money. Also - now Cleveland has no reason not to rebuild their offensive scheme to include him.

I think JR is good on a team like Cleveland, where he doesn't feel the need to be an alpha dog and the main guy is willing to kick out shots to open teammates and be more encouraging. There was an article during the Finals about how JR said he had never felt so wanted on a team before he got to Cleveland (Cleveland told him LeBron specifically asked for him even during JR's doldrums). I could see Cleveland (and having two fantastic passers on top of the PG) being a good team for him.

Top Bottom