• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Wade avg 22 ppg last season and no one is going to try for him because you can't lowball him. Well that and the fact that he's going to remain in MIA... you guys...

He missed 1/3 of the season, again. Again, why would teams "lowball" him if they thought he was as valuable as you or he and his agent seem to think he is? Did Kris Middleton get low balled? Did demarre Carroll get low balled?

dream

Jeremy Lin averaged 20ppg for like a month. Wade has a body of work behind him and still scores efficiently. I get the trepidation, but you can't discount the player.

Okay, different example: Deron Williams averaged 20ppg for a few years too. Would you actually want to pay genuine American money for Deron Williams?

Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon

If the Mavs don't close the deal on DeAndre Jordan, their best bet might be to see if Pacers still want to dump Roy Hibbert's salary.

deandreohmy.gif

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
That's exactly what I think Detroit will do. Offer Draymond the max, and in a way to fuck over Golden State as much as possible.

I suspect GS will bite the bullet and take it of course, but still Detroit is taking the chance even if its a 1% chance.

I don't believe Detroit can screw with the offer sheet - I believe GSW gave Green a max-restricted offer which precludes other folks screwing with the offer sheet.

dream

Other players to have 20ppg seasons:

Marcus Thorton
Demar Derozan
Corey Maggette
Aaron Brooks

Shit ain't hard to do.

Who the hell is Amire Johnson and for 24 million

Ainge pls

Good citizen that many raps fans noted as being on thee downside of his career. Raps didn't exactly have the best defense last year front court. Now this is the Celts problem :)

A hearty handshake to this nice man on the way out. But glad we did not commit cap space to him in Toronto. We need guys who can last into the playoffs.

i know Roy Hibbert's name doesnt do much but illicit laughter these days, but considering he's basically on a one year deal he wouldn't be that bad of a get for a team on the cusp of playoff contention (like the Mavs seem to fancy themselves every year). It's not like you are committing a huge contract to him that's going to tie up your cap. Zach Lowe mentioned in a podcast that for as bad of a season he had last year, he still put up elite rim protection numbers (which is still a very valuable skill despite the small ball trends). His problem (and it's a big one) is that he is an absolute zero on offense though. A one year lottery ticket to see if he's still got a lot left in the tank, or can rebound from last season, doesn't seem all that bad.

I don't believe Detroit can screw with the offer sheet - I believe GSW gave Green a max-restricted offer which precludes other folks screwing with the offer sheet.

I don't think Golden State did that, because the TV is reporting that green walked away from negotiations.

Why would he walk away from the maximum amount of money available? they must have offered him less than that. Especially in light of the Tristan Thompson deal from earlier today, draymond must be asking for more.

Hibbert? My god, Deandre don't do this to us.
Holy Shit! Your team was on the brink of losing the Finals to Lebron James and a bunch of scrubs and you still are talking shit! Kevin Love and Tristan Thompson are now considered throwing money away? I hope the Cavs have a rematch with the bitch made warriors and their fan base again next June

On the brink..there wasn't even a game seven.

Sifl

I'd be more upset that the Knicks haven't done anything yet if some of these contracts didn't seem so ridiculous. They might be good value in a couple of years, but currently they are just
scust.png

I'd be more upset that the Knicks haven't done anything yet if some of these contracts didn't seem so ridiculous. They might be good value in a couple of years, but currently they are just
scust.png

Give it time, I'm sure the Knicks will hand out some contracts that will look awful now and in the future.

spyder_ur

Okay, different example: Deron Williams averaged 20ppg for a few years too. Would you actually want to pay genuine American money for Deron Williams?

Other players to have 20ppg seasons:

Marcus Thorton
Demar Derozan
Corey Maggette
Aaron Brooks

Shit ain't hard to do.

Plenty of people would have been happy to have Deron Williams, but I think we're done here when you say it isn't hard to do and compare Corey Maggette, Marcus Thornton and Aaron Brooks to Dwyane Wade.

Wade has clearly lost a step, but acting like he is a terrible player and only scores because he hoists shots is silly. I think there's a debate to be had about signing him, but at this point given the money we've seen today I wouldn't balk at 3 years/55M or whatever for Wade.

CI2rBtfWUAEs2MH.png

Now this is a team!

That's a real squad.

Seeing Marcus Thornton on the roster again is really messing with my mind.

I do think it's increasingly likely that Sullinger or Olynyk will be gone before the season starts.

So it seems Lakers will once again wiff on everyone, and put together another squad of 1 year contracts of bums no one else wants.

Awesome another year of not watching past December.

What kind of Greek tragedy is this comparable too?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't think Golden State did that, because the TV is reporting that green walked away from negotiations.

Why would he walk away from the maximum amount of money available? they must have offered him less than that. Especially in light of the Tristan Thompson deal from earlier today, draymond must be asking for more.

I'm guessing he wanted player options to get back into FA earlier than GSW was willing to offer.

So it seems Lakers will once again wiff on everyone, and put together another squad of 1 year contracts of bums no one else wants.

Awesome another year of not watching past December.

What kind of Greek tragedy is this comparable too?

None. Because it's still the Lakers, and they still have 16 NBA championships.

Nobody is ready to hear a Laker fan pity party.

spyder_ur

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard 13m13 minutes ago
Source says @aldridge_12 had very positive feelings about his meeting with the Spurs. He really liked their presentation

You don't say Broussard. Beaten by like 6 hours.

Can't wait for him to confirm Love re-signing.

I wouldn't sign Draymond unless he was going to be the 3rd or 4th option like he is on the Warriors. Last thing on planet earth that you want on your team is Draymond catching the ball at the top of the key and driving into a defenders chest like he consistently did in the finals as your #2 guy or worse your #1 option.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
They talk big for having one of the consistently worst franchises in the league

I'm pretty sure the Knicks haven't "talked big" in decades. I don't even know what to say to that.

Anyway, my Suns are making some moves. We had to sign BK, so I can't get mad at that (and I'd rather have BK at 70 than Dragon at 90), but the Chandler signing may not pan out because I don't think he can hold up when he's 34+. BK and Bledsoe are kinda the exact same player though. Oh well. We'll see.

lol the picture they're using on Mavs Moneyball's home page for the free agency thread

usa-today-8665984.0.jpg

Carlisle has to be sick of this crap at this point

OctoMan

Banned
Out of the top 10 free agents, only one will be moving to a new location.

How boring. FA is over rated. Empty threats. So stupid.
Aldridge, Deandre, draymond, and Millsap all seem to be on the move and are top 10. Not sure on Gasol. Haven't heard a word on him.

spyder_ur

I wouldn't sign Draymond unless he was going to be the 3rd or 4th option like he is on the Warriors. Last thing on planet earth that you want on your team is Draymond catching the ball at the top of the key and driving into a defenders chest like he consistently did in the finals as your #2 guy or worse your #1 option.

I agree. The problem is I don't really see a team he would sign with where that would be the case. Any team that he signs a max deal with is likely to have some expectations that I don't think he'll be able to match.

Aldridge, Deandre, draymond, and Millsap all seem to be on the move and are top 10. Not sure on Gasol. Haven't heard a word on him.

I wouldn't get too set on seeing any of that group move except for Aldridge. There's always a bit of noise early in free agency as guys try to leverage a bit.

And yeah, very quiet on the Gasol camp. I haven't heard anyone who thinks theres a real chance he's going elsewhere.

So now that the Lakers blew it with LMA are they gonna call Rondo up? He's been waiting by his phone all day, headband getting crushed in his free hand while he wipes away tears of anguish with the other one.

So now that the Lakers blew it with LMA are they gonna call Rondo up? He's been waiting by his phone all day, headband getting crushed in his free hand while he wipes away tears of anguish with the other one.

They don't need Rondo they just used the number 2 pick in the draft on a PG. Rondo probably gonna go crawling to the Knicks.

Might as well give him a one year deal.

They don't need Rondo they just used the number 2 pick in the draft on a PG. Rondo probably gonna go crawling to the Knicks.

Could have had Okafor and Rondo. They blew it.

Into

I'm pretty new to Baskeball-GAF, so I'll ask.

Why does everyone here seem to hate the Knicks so much?

They used to be a hard physical team in the 90s, that upset other East teams. They also call themselves "Mecca of Basketball" which is histerical. Spike Lee as a personality is trash, tough Do the Right Thing is a classic. Melo is perhaps the most overrated "superstar" in the NBA.

Top Bottom