• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

bender

What time is it?
lol the picture they're using on Mavs Moneyball's home page for the free agency thread

usa-today-8665984.0.jpg

Carlisle has to be sick of this crap at this point

Think about how Dirk feels. :(

Brandon Wright might be coming back via SnT with Suns.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Draymond to Detroit? Is this happening?

The Cavs lost 3 games after the trades in mid January when the big 3 played (best record in the league), they'll be fine if people stay healthy.

I'm sure they'll be "fine" but that doesn't mean they'll be winning anything. Let's a petition started to calling them the Brooklyn Cavaliers since they're paying every scrub on the team 100mil.

OctoMan

Banned
Lol Rondo. Not long ago people were trying to convince others he was "elite" and teams would clear out cap space to max him. Now hell play for food.

Lol Rondo. Not long ago people were trying to convince others he was "elite" and teams would clear out cap space to max him. Now hell play for food.

There was a stretch when he was elite. His defense and passing were outstanding. Now those have fallen off and he's no longer worth the shitty scoring and mental instability.

So how does that work if the Mavs did suck enough to get a top 7 pick. Would Boston's pick from the trade be pushed back to 2016-2017?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I agree. The problem is I don't really see a team he would sign with where that would be the case. Any team that he signs a max deal with is likely to have some expectations that I don't think he'll be able to match.

Draymond Green is so f'ing overrated if he gets max player money. Good lord. Good defender, not so hot on the offensive end, very questionable shot selection. And I don't think he'll fare as well without Curry and Klay drawing 90% of the defense's attention.

And I say all this because the Knicks will probably offer him a max deal. Because why not? Move Melo to the 2.

jmizzal

Whats the Cavs payroll and cap situation

Irving 90 mil
Love 110 mil
Thompson wants 80 mil
Mosgov is making what 40 mil?
Andy has a nice contract

LeBron is gonna get a huge contract over 20 mil a year
How is this gonna play out

LaMarcus Aldridge will not be joining the Lakers, The Times has learned. They were a 50-50 choice but he disliked bball part of presentation - @Mike_Bresnahan

As if there was any doubt.

So how does that work if the Mavs did suck enough to get a top 7 pick. Would Boston's pick from the trade be pushed back to 2016-2017?

Yes, it's protected until 2021 so it could be pushed back as far as then if the Mavs continue getting top 7 picks.

I agree. The problem is I don't really see a team he would sign with where that would be the case. Any team that he signs a max deal with is likely to have some expectations that I don't think he'll be able to match.

I wouldn't get too set on seeing any of that group move except for Aldridge. There's always a bit of noise early in free agency as guys try to leverage a bit.

And yeah, very quiet on the Gasol camp. I haven't heard anyone who thinks theres a real chance he's going elsewhere.

Marc did a segment on the inside stuff show last year, and it was basically showing how much he loved the town. He won't leave.

the problem with draymond Green is that Tristan Thompson was all over the glass in the playoffs, and the Warriors have to bring in Andre and David Lee to slow down the tough Cavaliers. That diminished greens value, maybe, despite a stellar regular season.

Irving 90 mil
Love 110 mil
Thompson wants 80 mil
Andy has a nice contract

Gilbert is going to write an enormous check for the luxury tax. In a year or two, they'll be in reasonably decent cap shape.

it's amazing what an ok PG can do when 3 other starters are HOFs. The heat always had garbage PGs and let lebron basically run the offense and got far, Rondo just looked good because he was an average PG playing with some amazing talent that was keeping the other team's defense busy.

Anywho, I didn't see Love coming back. But the Cavs gonna be in rough shape if Kyrie continues to be Mr. Glass for the rest of his career.

Irving 90 mil
Love 110 mil
Thompson wants 80 mil
Andy has a nice contract

They pretty much locked their core up for the next 3-4 seasons, not a lot of flexibility even with the cap going up. They are going to go with Kyrie, Love, LeBron and TT and supplement that with cheap vet signings. Not a bad core but it reliant on Kyrie and Love staying healthy and gelling. It'd be hilarious if they turned around and traded Love during the season to Sacramento for DMC.

Kickz

LaMarcus Aldridge will not be joining the Lakers, The Times has learned. They were a 50-50 choice but he disliked bball part of presentation - @Mike_Bresnahan

Yes, it's protected until 2021 so it could be pushed back as far as then if the Mavs continue getting top 7 picks.
Lol, dont worry Harden and KD next summer

Deals w/Amir Johnson and Jerebko have non-guaranteed 2nd years. Full story on Celtics' FA pursuits just posted. - Steve Bulpett

Those could actually be some decent signings.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Oh you don't fucking say, Aldridge wants Jack to do with us. What a god damn twist that was!

Gee, I wonder what DJ's response will be after Thursday night when every FA is gone.

SIGN HARRIS AND LOPEZ/ASIK ALREADY. WHAT ARE WE DOING.

Can't really blame LMA. He's going to be 30 when the season starts and probably wants to win now. Lakers can't really offer that with a core of 2 rookies and one 2nd year guy to build around. Would have loved to have him though. Now it's DeAndre or tank.

what's the bball part? the part where the lakers were like "yeah but you could be a MOVIE STAR" and did some handwaving when he asked what they're trying to do to compete?

Oh you don't fucking say, Aldridge wants Jack to do with us. What a god damn twist that was!

Gee, I wonder what DJ's response will be after Thursday night when every FA is gone.

SIGN HARRIS AND LOPEZ/ASIK ALREADY. WHAT ARE WE DOING.

You can't sign Harris without tying up your cap while Orlando drags it out, and we couldn't afford Harris AND Lopez/Asik anyway. Look around nobody is signing for bargain money. Lopez and Asik will probably get $8-10 million/year at a minimum, Harris will get a max. Lopez and Asik will do nothing but prolong the inevitable anyway. So we win 35 games instead of 20?

spyder_ur

In their defense how were they to know that a professional basketball player would care about the basketball part?

commish

They pretty much locked their core up for the next 3-4 seasons, not a lot of flexibility even with the cap going up. They are going to go with Kyrie, Love, LeBron and TT and supplement that with cheap vet signings. Not a bad core but it reliant on Kyrie and Love staying healthy and gelling. It'd be hilarious if they turned around and traded Love during the season to Sacramento for DMC.

That's a pretty solid core, all things considered. And as long as a Finals trip is all but guaranteed, they will likely have a pretty easy time picking up cheap but quality players.

Mike BresnahanVerified account
‏@Mike_Bresnahan
More LMA: He and Kobe didn't quite gel. It's a little vague, but Aldridge apparently didn't quite get answers from Kobe he was seeking.

Kobe is a cancer just like Melo bruh.

LMA: "Are you retiring after the season?"
Kobe: "Maybe...maybe not. Maybe fuck yourself."

commish

‏@Mike_Bresnahan
More LMA: He and Kobe didn't quite gel. It's a little vague, but Aldridge apparently didn't quite get answers from Kobe he was seeking.

LMA has always been a little soft, so not surprised. Was probably intimidated.

Raptors brehs, where do we go from here?

We need a 4 don't we?

Demarre can play some of the 4. Because he can shoot beyond the 3-point line, he could theoretically draw large power forwards outside of the lane, leaving some more space for Jonas to operate, and derozan to drive the lane.

Its still early. Wouldn't be surprising to see Ross and a pick traded for a serviceable defensive minded PF.

jmizzal

Might as well give him a one year deal.

Could have had Okafor and Rondo. They blew it.

Yup Lakers thought they were for sure getting a big in FA, and might end up with nothing, should have gotten Okafor.

Like I said never pass on a big like that, Okafor wasnt just a potential guy, he showed in college he will be a 20 and 10 guy in the NBA, he wasnt like Embiid where you say man in 3 years he can be really good, Okafor is a sure thing to me.

skilled PG's come around every day talented legit bigs come around every now and then.
Last ones like Okafor were Drummond and Dwight Howard

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Gilbert is going to write an enormous check for the luxury tax. In a year or two, they'll be in reasonably decent cap shape.

Hilariously...

LeBron will re-sign at 22 million
Mozgov had a team option used for 5 million (only!)
Kyrie is at 14.5 million
TT is at 16 million (reports are 5/80)
Love is at 22 million (5/110)
Varejao is at 9.6 million

That's 89 million. Lets say JR + Delly + Shump get 20 million combined, at 109 million.

In two years - the cap is at 109 million. They'll barely be over the cap as it currently stands. That's why all this money that seems insane now is going to be pretty cheap. Right now, Anderson Varejao is signed for 9.68 million, which is 14.4% of the cap. In 2017, TT at 16 million is...14.6% of the cap.

‏@Mike_Bresnahan

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/616345152391491584

So how many more players is it going to take before the "nobody wants to play with Kobe" gets taken seriously? ESPN can't make excuses any longer.

C'mon down to SA. We're like a big family where even parting with players like Tiago Splitter stings.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lakers are the new Knicks.

Cavs re-upping Love for the max this year was huge. Yeah, the tax will be super high next season, but after that with the cap increase they'll be sitting pretty.

Yup Lakers thought they were for sure getting a big in FA, and might end up with nothing, should have gotten Okafor.

Like I said never pass on a big like that, Okafor wasnt just a potential guy, he showed in college he will be a 20 and 10 guy in the NBA, he wasnt like Embiid where you say man in 3 years he can be really good, Okafor is a sure thing to me.

skilled PG's come around every day talented legit bigs come around every now and then.
Last ones like Okafor were Drummond and Dwight Howard

He's probably going to be a terrible defender. It's hard to build around a terrible defensive C. Al Jefferson is a fucking offensive savant, a borderline 20/10 guy himself, yet he's been on 4 different teams in his career and has never sniffed even an ounce of playoff success. Why do you think that is? I don't care much how this FA period plays out I still like the Russell over Okafor pick.

"So you see, LA, the offense will be running through Kobe. When he gets double or triple teamed, he'll dish to you for the shot or chuck up a low percentage shot and expect you to put back in the board."

Fjordson

Marc did a segment on the inside stuff show last year, and it was basically showing how much he loved the town. He won't leave.

the problem with draymond Green is that Tristan Thompson was all over the glass in the playoffs, and the Warriors have to bring in Andre and David Lee to slow down the tough Cavaliers. That diminished greens value, maybe, despite a stellar regular season.
I'd disagree with that. Dude bounced back the last few games, especially in the clincher with the triple double.

I mean I wouldn't mind if it were true since that'll make it easier on Golden State's wallet, but I think someone will offer him a lot.

He's probably going to be a terrible defender. It's hard to build around a terrible defensive C. Al Jefferson is a fucking offensive savant, a borderline 20/10 guy himself, yet he's been on 4 different teams in his career and has never sniffed even an ounce of playoff success. Why do you think that is? I don't care much how this FA period plays out I still like the Russell over Okafor pick.
Russell over Okafar was great imo. I'd take that every time.

Top Bottom