• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Hilariously...

LeBron will re-sign at 22 million
Mozgov had a team option used for 5 million (only!)
Kyrie is at 14.5 million
TT is at 16 million (reports are 5/80)
Love is at 22 million (5/110)
Varejao is at 9.6 million

That's 89 million. Lets say JR + Delly + Shump get 20 million combined, at 109 million.

In two years - the cap is at 109 million. They'll barely be over the cap as it currently stands. That's why all this money that seems insane now is going to be pretty cheap. Right now, Anderson Varejao is signed for 9.68 million, which is 14.4% of the cap. In 2017, TT at 16 million is...14.6% of the cap.

and you think lebron isn't going to want a ridiculous huge new max contract when the one he signs this year is up? He's going to want whatever the new max is, not what's max today.

that's just a lot of wishful thinking on your part.

OctoMan

Banned
There was a stretch when he was elite. His defense and passing were outstanding. Now those have fallen off and he's no longer worth the shitty scoring and mental instability.
But what also worked against him was the nba quickly correcting it's massive market inefficiency of needing guards thay can shoot. Instead he is a pg where the defender sags 5 feet away from him, the exact opposite of the meta-strategy in the nba. Not sold he was ever elite, just that the NBA didn't know any better at the time m

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
You can't sign Harris without tying up your cap while Orlando drags it out, and we couldn't afford Harris AND Lopez/Asik anyway. Look around nobody is signing for bargain money. Lopez and Asik will probably get $8-10 million/year at a minimum, Harris will get a max. Lopez and Asik will do nothing but prolong the inevitable anyway. So we win 35 games instead of 20?
We max Harris and trade for Hibbert. Done.

We have to do something. Fuck tank ball. I have no interest in watching my Lakers develop into a culture of fuck-losers trying for lottery picks every damn year like the Knicks and Sixers. Fuck that.

the Kobe thing was probably him being dodgy about whether or not he plans to play after this season. That's probably something guys committing to 4 year contracts want to know. I'm not sure why he was even at the meeting.

jbug617

Banned
Woj says the Lakers sold him more on LA than playing for the Lakers.
@WojYahooNBA: As @Mike_Bresnahan says, Aldridge felt too much of Lakers presentation focused on outside opportunities; wanted clearer, better b-ball focus

Gigglepoo

i know Roy Hibbert's name doesnt do much but illicit laughter these days, but considering he's basically on a one year deal he wouldn't be that bad of a get for a team on the cusp of playoff contention (like the Mavs seem to fancy themselves every year). It's not like you are committing a huge contract to him that's going to tie up your cap. Zach Lowe mentioned in a podcast that for as bad of a season he had last year, he still put up elite rim protection numbers (which is still a very valuable skill despite the small ball trends). His problem (and it's a big one) is that he is an absolute zero on offense though. A one year lottery ticket to see if he's still got a lot left in the tank, or can rebound from last season, doesn't seem all that bad.

As a Pacers fan, I don't want him to be traded for nothing. I'd rather have him around to teach Myles Turner his secrets even though he'll be gone after the season. Larry Bird is smart enough to not dump an asset. I hope.

We have to do something. Fuck tank ball. I have no interest in watching my Lakers develop into a culture of fuck-losers trying for lottery picks every damn year like the Knicks and Sixers. Fuck that.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. Harris is legit and Hibbert is only on a one year deal. I just don't want to lose any roster flexibility, especially not on middling players like Greg Monroe or Omer Asik for multiple years.

Kobe spoke for about three minutes in the presentation, said he envisioned LaMarcus Aldridge working with him the same way Pau Gasol did. - @Mike_bresnahan

LOLOL

Kickz

Surprise but even with those guys you have a strong tank

Everyone wants to count out Portland w/ Aldridge -- don't do it yet. Blazers still make a compelling basketball case, still pay most money

Suns GM Ryan McDonough and staff -- with Tyson Chandler -- still in meeting with Aldridge now in Los Angeles, sources tell Yahoo.

Oh c'mon. Suns are making me a little nervous.

nubcake

Neo Member
Kobe spoke for about three minutes in the presentation, said he envisioned LaMarcus Aldridge working with him the same way Pau Gasol did. - @Mike_bresnahan

LOLOL

I always joke about Kobe thinking he's still 28, but now I'm really starting to wonder if he has a mental illness where he LITERALLY thinks he's still 28.

I always joke about Kobe thinking he's still 28, but now I'm really starting to wonder if he has a mental illness where he LITERALLY thinks he's still 28.

Kobe is who he is. He's not going to bullshit or blow smoke up people's asses. He's not a salesman. I don't blame him. I blame the Lakers for including him in the meeting in the first place.

LOLOL

8VkFNmO.jpg

Speaking of which....can anybody link a video or an image of Pat Riley leaning against the wall after they Knicks beat the Heat? I can't find it for the life of me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
@Mike_Bresnahan 5m5 minutes ago

Kobe spoke for about three minutes in the presentation, said he envisioned LaMarcus Aldridge working with him the same way Pau Gasol did.

‏@Mike_Bresnahan 22m22 minutes ago

Aldridge was floored in a good way by Houston's analytics, on-court projections in their presentation. Not so with the Lakers.

Lakers behind the times. They even be out hustled by the Rockets.

PHX could be a wild card, especially if they already have Tyson in tow. He makes life a lot easier for PFs. And they have a solid backcourt locked up. It'd be hilarious if after all this LMA just went back to Portland though.

PHX could be a wild card, especially if they already have Tyson in tow. He makes life a lot easier for PFs. And they have a solid backcourt locked up. It'd be hilarious if after all this LMA just went back to Portland though.

I'll never forgive him. We lost Splitter and would have to settle for Greg Monroe.

I'd disagree with that. Dude bounced back the last few games, especially in the clincher with the triple double.

I mean I wouldn't mind if it were true since that'll make it easier on Golden State's wallet, but I think someone will offer him a lot.

Russell over Okafar was great imo. I'd take that every time.

Good point, you're right, he did bounce back. And someone will pay him.

but I do think that performance caused a lot of people to give him a second look, and wonder if you want to commit 25% of your cap space to someone who seems to thrives in a particular system, playing next to the MVP and another guy who can score 37 points in a quarter :)

OctoMan

Banned
I feel like Phoenix just saw tyson walking down the street in his hometown la and said,"hey you want 50 mil? Get in here and help us recruit and it's all yours."

I mean it's pretty funny they sign him and are bringing him in for the pitch an hour later.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
and you think lebron isn't going to want a ridiculous huge new max contract when the one he signs this year is up? He's going to want whatever the new max is, not what's max today.

that's just a lot of wishful thinking on your part.

LeBron goes up to 35 million max (assuming he opts out during 2016-2017, which is where the second part of the cap jumps up) assuming he does the two year deals w/ options at 1 - so even adding 13 million, it doesn't even put them in luxury tax at that point. The luxury tax will be around 132 million - and I'm guessing they will be willing to go over the luxury tax at some point.

What CLE has is that they're getting Love & Irving locked in at unbelievable rates relative to the cap in a couple of years. Irving, Love, and TT are locked in till 2020. Love took the guaranteed money rather than do what LeBron did, and keep taking options till the cap jumps are done. I mean, Cleveland basically has a five year window now to try to get a title, and as long as they duck the tax a couple of times, they won't end up pulling a Brooklyn in terms of money.

Now, if they turn Haywood's contract into a 10 million a year player on a gtd contract; then they'll be paying out the wazoo. But seeing as the value of the cavs themselves has gone from 222 million pre LeBron to 915 post LeBron, I'm sure Gilbert can afford it. :p

Fjordson

Good point, you're right, he did bounce back. And someone will pay him.

but I do think that performance caused a lot of people to give him a second look, and wonder if you want to commit 25% of your cap space to someone who seems to thrives in a particular system, playing next to the MVP and another guy who can score 37 points in a quarter :)
Totally. I'm biased towards wanting his value to go down, but I'm not sure he's worth anything around the max to other teams. It's a unique situation around him in Golden State that maximizes his strengths imo.

zychi

Banned
I still wish we drafted LMA.

Does LMA want to win, or does he have the Melo mentality of get mine and pay me?

If he goes to the Spurs, Timmy plays the 5, and LMA plays the stretch 4, they are easily the favorites next year.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Wow. So Kobe really went in there and was like: "Yo, you can be my Robin, much like Pau. I ain't in my prime no more, but I still got it, homie."

We never had a damn chance. I still love you, Mamba.

harSon

Banned
Lakers straight fucked up. Getting Russell wasn't a bad move, since this free agency is filled to the brim with PF/C - but if they fail to land one... then they're moving into a free agency class next season that is extremely weak in comparison at those same positions. They better hope they have another historically ass season, and manage a top 3 lottery pick - considering this upcoming draft class is going to be stacked with big men.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Damn team giving out max contracts like its candy. I mean damn! Going to be some disappointed GM's in a couple years.

Eh, giving a max contract now at 22 million a year (for a vet) is going to be insanely cheap compared to giving them one in two years (where it could be closer to 30-35 a year).

If you can lock in three max contracts this year; what normally would account for ~90% of your cap space will account for ~60% of your cap space in two years.

Thomas ‏@tommy_t_256 57s58 seconds ago Florida, USA
.@bomani_jones LA: "When you get doubled, where should I go, high post?" Kobe: "Doubled? I'm still open. You roll to the glass big dog."

So the question now is who does Cleveland face in the finals next season?

I'll pull for the Rockets or the GS Warriors again, but The Grizzlies and the Clippers are going to be healthy too, and you can't forget The Spurs and the Thunder being healthy again.

Shit...stacked again.

RedAssedApe

Banned
@BillPlaschke

Too easy to blame @kobebryant for LMA bad pitch..he barely spoke..this is about organizational failure to convince players they can thrive

boring. was hoping kobe went all alpha dog mode like with dwight

Top Bottom