• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Surprised Wesley Matthews coming off Achilles injury is getting more interest than Lou Williams. Lakers go after Lou, he is whatever you envisioned Swaggy P to be.

Contract Year Lou plus his prior injuries on the Hawks pre Raps days scares people off.

Guy is an absolute delight on offense though. Character wise he's great too, family man and very fan friendly.

Contract Year Lou plus his prior injuries on the Hawks pre Raps days scares people off.

Guy is an absolute delight on offense though. Character wise he's great too, family man and very fan friendly.

I'd love for CLE to get him as the backup PG. probably unaffordable at this point, but idk. he's one of my favorite players.

but seriously, what is the main goal for the Knicks? Like i know that Riley wants to get in a room with KD next offseason though the odds of KD coming to miami are probably smaller than the Lakers getting LMA. But we know what they're at least trying to do.

Are the Knicks just hoping that Melo isn't a black hole of a basketball player and they can get some decent bball going with him as their main guy?

spyder_ur

but seriously, what is the main goal for the Knicks? Like i know that Riley wants to get in a room with KD next offseason though the odds of KD coming to miami are probably smaller than the Lakers getting LMA. But we know what they're at least trying to do.

Are the Knicks just hoping that Melo isn't a black hole of a basketball player and they can get some decent bball going with him as their main guy?

It is confusing. But with Afflalo and if they get Monroe they're probably a playoff team.

I don't really get the plan long-term though.

spyder_ur

The Crowder deal is better than I was expecting. I figured he'd be approaching $10M per. 7 is a steal. Now he needs to be shooting 500 3s a day and totally eliminate the long 2 from his game. I think he will - he's a tough, hard worker.

It looks particularly fantastic next to contracts like Aminu and Carroll, the former he's a much better player than and the latter he is 4 years younger than.

HabeeNo

It is confusing. But with Afflalo and if they get Monroe they're probably a playoff team.

I don't really get the plan long-term though.

There's not much to say about the future plan. Last time the Knicks thought in the future, we destroyed our assets for Melo, overpaid Stat and only saw results on the first year because of his bum knee T_T

My guess is that they'll try to sign a bunch of secondaries and a star on the short term and fight for that 8th seed, since draft picks are not gonna be an option for a couple of years :(

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
God I hope the Lakers told Tobias to hold steady and guaranteed him a 4 years 15 mill deal if (LOL more like WHEN) Jordan says no.

If he gets signed and we end up sitting on our asses for an obvious answer of "no", that every man, woman, and child already sees coming, save for the delusion ass Lakers FO, I'm gonna be annoyed as hell.

Sifl

If the Knicks want Monroe and Monroe wants the Knicks we should just sign him. No point in wasting time on LMA and giving Monroe time to think about what a terrible mistake he's going to make.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Draft/develop young talent rather than overpay marginal players now or guys who will only help you get to the first round yet still lose. It's not a bad strategy. Melo doesn't fit into the plans - that was clear from the draft.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Honestly, I'm gonna be pretty shocked if Tobias doesn't just wait this shit out and let the Lakers embarrass themselves tonight when Jordan says no. They won't have any choice but to pull the trigger at that point, the fucking morons.

Aren't the Celtics and Detroit the only other teams in the running for him at this point though? We all suck ass. But I'd much rather suck ass without dealing with bitter cold winters and getting accustomed to LA dimes falling out of trees trying to get a piece.

Draft/develop young talent rather than overpay marginal players now or guys who will only help you get to the first round yet still lose. It's not a bad strategy. Melo doesn't fit into the plans - that was clear from the draft.

That's gonna take a whole lot of patience from a fanbase that enjoys booing their draft picks every single year but i suppose it's a decent plan.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
That's gonna take a whole lot of patience from a fanbase that enjoys booing their draft picks every single year but i suppose it's a decent plan.

It helps that the Rangers are good :) I think most Knick fans are over the idea that they are going to add one or two people and all of a sudden, hang with LBJ. It's not going to happen.

OctoMan

Banned
So what's the Knickerbockers lineup look like?

PG- Calderon
SG- Afflalo
SF- Melo
PF-???
C- Monroe

If i have that right, Jesus that's still awful and still not even playoff worthy in the east. Cavs, Miami, chicago, washington, Atlanta Toronto and Milwaukee are definitely better. Magic man Stevens and the pacers are too. Might as well throw in the nets.

Sorry to all the Blazers fans still holding out hope Aldridge was coming back:

• Blazers assistant coach Kim Hughes told an Indiana TV station that the team had lost forward LaMarcus Aldridge. "Well, people don't realize we just went young," Hughes says in the video, according to The Oregonian. "We didn't publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge. It hasn't been declared yet, but I'm sure he won't come back. We will go young."

HabeeNo

So what's the Knickerbockers lineup look like?

PG- Calderon
SG- Afflalo
SF- Melo
PF-???
C- Monroe

If i have that right, Jesus that's still awful and still not even playoff worthy in the east. Cavs, Miami, chicago, washington, Atlanta Toronto and Milwaukee are definitely better. Magic man Stevens and the pacers are too. Might as well throw in the nets.

Porzingisanity or Thanasisanity happening on that PF position this year

Ronin Ray

Congratulations Knicks fans the kings have now become the Number 1 dumpster fire in the NBA !!!!!

Top Five Dumpster Fires
1 Kings
2.Kings
3.Kings
4.Knicks
5.Lakers ( keep Kobe out of the meetings and I don't know focus on basketball)

spyder_ur

Honestly, I'm gonna be pretty shocked if Tobias doesn't just wait this shit out and let the Lakers embarrass themselves tonight when Jordan says no. They won't have any choice but to pull the trigger at that point, the fucking morons.

Aren't the Celtics and Detroit the only other teams in the running for him at this point though? We all suck ass. But I'd much rather suck ass without dealing with bitter cold winters and getting accustomed to LA dimes falling out of trees trying to get a piece.

I think the Celts are mostly out on Tobias at this point, unless its a sign and trade.

And please don't group us with garbage like the Lakers and Pistons. One team made the playoffs and has Isaiah Thomas and the single greatest coach and man ever to grace the surface of an NBA court.

bigkrev

Went to bed last night before seeing the full details of the Philly trade- I thought for sure we had given up Saric, and did not realize we got Stauskas! Combined with the Lakers striking out on every FA (and their pick only being Top-3 protected this year), it was a good day for the Sixers.

Bowser

Wow, Larry Bird just seems like an all around asshat:

Then there was this: You remember the post-season postmortem when Larry Bird all but begged Roy Hibbert to opt out of the final year of his contract? West was watching. West was listening. And West was seething. He thought it was a low-class move by the organization to, in his words, "throw Roy under the bus."

"That's one thing where I wish they would have handled better was the situation with Roy," West said. "I'll be honest with you, that bothered me a little bit, and I told Roy that. I'm the type of guy who feels like we're all in this fight together and I'm not designed in that way to put it all on one guy. That did rub me the wrong way. That threw me off. I started reading some of that stuff, I started thinking, 'Whoaa.' I just didn't feel good about that. I told Roy that it bothered me, that he's still my teammate.

West also cleared up the apparent confusion over when he opted out. On draft night, Bird insisted that he hadn't yet heard from either Hibbert or West or their representatives, even going so far as to say he expected both to opt in. When some of us in the media persisted asking about West, Bird, who enjoys tweaking us just for fun, said, "Anybody else got any stupid questions??" then pointed to the Indianapolis Star's Candace Buckner, who last week broke the news that West was opting out. "C'mon, Candace, I know you've got some (dumb questions) in you."

Well.

Here's West on that subject:

"We wanted to be respectful so I had my agent tell the organization two, three days before the draft that we were going to opt out of the final year of the contract," West said. "I felt doing it post-draft wouldn't be the right thing to do."

So, um, somebody fudged the truth, and I'm not betting that it's West.

http://www.wthr.com/story/29457742/...e-didnt-think-he-could-win-a-title-in-indiana

Speaking of teams making splashes in free agency, the only chatter out of Charlotte yesterday was Frank Kaminsky looked rusty during summer league practice. Today, the interesting nugget is that MKG's ankle doesn't hurt.

Aahhhhh AND 1....more year of tanking!

I have a feeling this isn't just a 1 more year thing anymore. This is our future. Give us your garbage, rest of the league. We will welcome them with open arms. We have bright sunny weather, hot girls, beaches, and earthquakes. Basketball is optional.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Everything about the Lakers news has been so disappointing.

You ain't never lied. This week has been depressing as hell. I never thought I'd say this, but we need to let Kobe go. He's obviously holding this franchise back and while I thank him for his contributions to the Lakers and game of basketball, it's time to ride that horse off into the sunset and let the next generation rise up.

Afflalo at that price is a fantastic deal honestly based on yesterday's climate.

Agreed. He hits his FTs at a good percentage, has long range, is passionate about improving and competing. And probably a better fit in the east.

He was amazing on Orlando in 2013.

h1nch

@WojYahooNBA

Free agent Greg Monroe will sign a maximum contract with the Milwaukee Bucks, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

So maybe the Knicks and Lakers can do a combined roster and see how that works.

Melo to Kobe, Kobe to Ryan Kelly, corner 3, good!

(The Melo and Kobe passing bit is probably where it falls apart.)

Top Bottom