• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

SaintR

Fucking insulting yo. Lakers and Knicks can't even pull the likes of a Greg Monroe.

Let me hear Steven A put this all on Phil Jackson for drafting the Zinger...take a HARD HARD look in the mirror Melo and Kobe, the rest of the NBA isn't running to your doorsteps to play with you, sorry.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The amount of money thrown around in the NBA for just okay players compared to the other major sports in mind fucking boggling.

See the Lakers and Knicks got better through the draft. Dallas just got way worse.

Source says Mavs would consider a salary-dump deal for Roy Hibbert if DeAndre Jordan doesn't choose Dallas. But still hopeful about DJ.

Are you kidding me? Mavs ain't making the playoffs with this lineup. They lost Ellis and Chandler, and if they can't get Matthews this free agency has been awful for them. And they still need a PG. Barea wants a 3 year deal, gtfo here lol.

See the Lakers and Knicks got better through the draft. Dallas just got way worse.

Are you kidding me? Mavs ain't making the playoffs with this lineup. They lost Ellis and Chandler, and if they can't get Matthews this free agency has been awful for them. And they still need a PG. Barea wants a 3 year deal, gtfo here lol.
Oh wow. Everyone was just joking about Dallas getting Hibbert...

Even if they got DJ, they'd be far from a contender. They really should just start a rebuilding process and thank Dirk for all the years he's given.

bender

What time is it?
Dirk should ask to have his contract reworked if his reward for multiple pay cuts is Roy Hibbert.

The amount of money thrown around in the NBA for just okay players compared to the other major sports in mind fucking boggling.

Small rosters, brah.

Bucks could come out big winners with signing Monroe or losers. I worry about who they put as priority. They seem to be all in on the greek freak and parker as the future. Will they take many shots away from Monroe to help them "develop"? I am NOT sold on middleton... they may look back a year or two from now and say damn we wasted 70 mill. I like there bench hopefully kid gives Mayo a little more looks in the offense. When he played well last year they won the majority of the games. This will be REAL interesting.

But 70 mil is gonna seem like chump change in a year or two.

Windhorst said:
After progress was made yesterday, Cavs & Tristan Thompson are currently still apart on contract talks, sources told ESPN.

Rich Paul needs to stop. This worked with Bledsoe but if you get Cavs overpay on Thompson that is just hurting your #1 client Lebron get his rings by restraining the Cavs from adding some depth if need be. They need to replace the seats of Marion, Perkins and Haywood with 1-2 contributors.

Bowser

Barea/Felton
Harris/???
Parsons/Justin Anderson
Dirk/Greg Smith
Hibbert/Satnam Singh

Yikes.

ESPN sources say Monta Ellis and Indiana Pacers have agreed on a four-year, $44 million with an option to return to free agency after Year 3

What a great deal. Well done Larry Legend. Kings lose chance at Ellis lol. Probably because he heard that Kings were interested in Rondo and having backcourt of Ellis and Rondo again.

Fjordson

Yeah, NFL owners keep their cash pretty close to the vest. Though I wonder if part of that is the decent-sized risk of a season ending injury on almost every play and the fact that even the best players only play half the game. A good or even just a decent NBA player can theoretically affect every possession of a game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah, NFL owners keep their cash pretty close to the vest. Though I wonder if part of that is the decent-sized risk of a season ending injury on almost every play and the fact that even the best players only play half the game. A good or even just a decent NBA player can theoretically affect every possession of a game.

They're also paying 55 players, not 15.

Fucking insulting yo. Lakers and Knicks can't even pull the likes of a Greg Monroe.

Let me hear Steven A put this all on Phil Jackson for drafting the Zinger...take a HARD HARD look in the mirror Melo and Kobe, the rest of the NBA isn't running to your doorsteps to play with you, sorry.

lol. You mad cause you have to actually build a team for once? FOH w/ that insulting talk

stn

Wow, Cavs are loaded with max deals. Thompson, Love, Irving, and presumably LeBron? How the heck are they gonna manage this?

bender

What time is it?
To be fair, the Mavs didn't want Ellis back. They want Parsons to step up. Still a disaster as I'm guessing DJ goes back to the Clippers.

Hearing that the Aron Baynes deal with Detroit is along the lines of Brandan Wright's new pact with Memphis and could rise as high as $20M

ok. Someone takes the keys from Stan Van Gundy. Don't give a damn what the market value is. You don't pay Baynes $20 million dollars over a few years.

SaintR

lol. You mad cause you have to actually build a team for once? FOH w/ that insulting talk

The thing is I'd be all in for a rebuild, we've seen the Knicks lose for years so if they start losing with purpose of rebuilding then so be it......but here's the rub..Knicks don't have any draft picks, kinda hard to rebuild without those.

Jarate

Banned
What are the 76ers doing by the way?

They have literally annihilated another team in a trade

Remember how everyone complained about how this team didnt have "veteran prescence" well now they do!

And remember how the sixers literally turned a roster of basically only Jrue Holliday into their current roster, which now has at the very least 2 elite big man prospects, a possible greg oden who if healthy would also be an elite prospect, Saric who is still a highly coveted prospect, and loads of draft picks including a Lakers pick which is incredibly valuable and a few Kings picks which are also horrendously valuable

All basically stemming from having Jrue Holliday

Lineup will look like

C: Okafor
PF: Noel
SF: Covington
SG: Stauskus
PG: Wroten/Ish Smith

While this is still a bad team, this isnt as horrible as the burning fire known as the Lakers, Knicks, and Kings. We went from basically the Knicks into a team with legit assets which is an incredible thing.

There is a real reason for that especially Kobe. Treating your teammates like shit at 35 and aging still thinking you deserve to take 30 shots a game. Ha! I love it.

Has nothing to do with Kobe being an asshole. Players don't want to go where the cupboard is bare, they want to go where they can win. The lakers are asking guys to commit to a team consisting of 4 rookies and one 2nd year guy. Whether Kobe is there or not of course vets are going to have pause. The city and the bigger market can be an advantage but they can't be the only advantage. The reason LMA wasn't impressed with Lakers basketball presentation probably has nothing to do with Kobe it has to do with the fact that we have very little to hang our hat on basketball wise right now. We are where a team like a Bucks were a year or two ago, a lot of promising your prospects who haven't really shown anything. It's not surprising a guy like Monroe or even LMA of Jordan don't want to come here and have the pressure of being the savior and the only guy, I mean realistically, if we had added any one of those three guys where would we be next year? I mean best case scenario is what? 35-40 wins? For all the fanfare that still misses the playoffs on the west. This offseason has been a sobering reminder of just where the league is at now. Cap space alone is not an asset. If anything it is sort of a deterrent because it probably means you ain't got shit else on your team. Players want to follow the Heatles model and go somewhere where they can play with other top players and win. Even if it's a team like the Bucks. Maybe we have those guys that others might want to play with in Julius Randle and Dangelo Russell, but it's gonna take a year or two for them to prove it.

The silver lining though is that Jeanie said she would fire Jimmy if he didn't turn things around in three years like he promised. Next year is year 3.

ok. Someone takes the keys from Stan Van Gundy. Don't give a damn what the market value is. You don't pay Baynes $20 million dollars over a few years.

Umm Pop. What are we going to do at Center? There has to be someone stashed away, because between Splitter and Baynes we just lost our depth. :(

Small markets have to overpay to land players. That's why Joe Johnson was a max player when he shouldn't ever be the best option on your team.

Sucks, but them the breaks.

Small markets have to overpay to land players. That's why Joe Johnson was a max player when he shouldn't ever be the best option on your team.

Sucks, but them the breaks.

Yeah but you don't cough up 6.5 mil a year for aron fuckin baynes

I bet Bower's dr robotnik looking ass is behind this

Wow, Cavs are loaded with max deals. Thompson, Love, Irving, and presumably LeBron? How the heck are they gonna manage this?

oK2kuQU.jpg

I just bought 4 copies. Doin my part.

And who the fuck are we getting at backup PG and SF? Pls

Top Bottom