• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

If Aldridge picks Spurs they have got to be the favorite for the Western conference no?
Too close to say. I think they can take the Warriors or Rockets in a series, but Thunder and Clips w/ DJ and The Truth worry me. Of course injuries can always change things. They won't be slept on, that's for sure.

How is Ed Davis?

He is a good player can contribute if he is starting or coming off the bench. Big fan of his since his Raptors days, He can score in the paint has a great touch and has excellent rebounding ability as you can see above. He is active on defense, not saying he is a stud he commits to playing defense to the best of his ability.

otapnam

Too close to say. I think they can take the Warriors or Rockets in a series, but Thunder and Clips w/ DJ and The Truth worry me. Of course injuries can always change things. They won't be slept on, that's for sure.

i love what paul pierce did in the playoffs but they still let atlanta finish all over their faces.

you think a one year older pierce + the clips are going to fare that much better?

If I am steph curry im going out buying an island now... I mean they gave draymond 80 million he easily has to get 150 right?

Well, somewhere just north of 150, based on what the max would be for his number of years. The extension for Anthony Davis kicks in next year at 5 years, 145, and that's based on next year's expected cap number. Two years from now -- when Curry hits free agency again -- the cap number projects to be even higher, so his max contract would be higher.

Though I don't know when the next work stoppage is anticipated, 2 years or 3 years, which could render all expectations moot.

i love what paul pierce did in the playoffs but they still let atlanta finish all over their faces.

you think a one year older pierce + the clips are going to fare that much better?

Paul Pierce last year was a monster in the playoffs. He was hitting daggers everywhere. Pierce is replacing Barnes, Barnes had some big moments though, but would I expect him to outplay Kawhi in a Game 7 situation again. Fuck no. You gotta respect Pierce, I think the Spurs lived with Barnes hitting the shots he took.

I mean who do you realistically want?

Someone who can come in and produce when the Lamborghini that is Kyrie Irving inevitably blows a valve and needs to go back into the shop for awhile.

You can't go from Kyrie to Dellavadova and pretend that's okay because it isn't. The backup doesn't need to be good enough to be a starter; they just need to be someone who isn't a fucking punchline. That's a pretty low bar to clear.

I just feel even with his aged body he is still an upgrade over Barnes. If Pierce had been on that team last year I'm confident they would have closed out that series against Houston.

Trade alert. Stan traded for a bench. Why are the Pistons taking on salary? I mean you always overpay a free agent like you did with Aron Baynes. I thought they wanted some key free agents. They haven't gotten any of their targets.

WojYahooNBA said:
Phoenix has traded Marcus Morris, Reggie Bullock and Danny Granger to Detroit for future picks, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

WojYahooNBA said:
The Pistons will send the Suns a 2020 second-round draft pick. So yes, the Suns are clearing salary cap space.

I guess I would say I respect it, but I'm also not sure it will work. Collecting assets is one thing, but the Sixers haven't shown me that they are able to develop players past maximizing their value, or really that they are even interested in that at all. I worry about the culture they are creating as well, but talent probably trumps that.

The other thing is that Hinkie is enjoying a level of job security that most front officers and GMs. They'd be firedif they tried to do what Hinkie is, for better or worse.

This Jordan laughing gif is really on the fine line of being overused.

This is a misconception to those that dont follow the team. There is a great deal of player development going on in Philly. Ive been really impressed with the progress Brett Brown has made with basically a sabotaged roster 2 years in a row.

The team in general was horrific on D with a lot of the same core for the entirety of the 13-14 season and until jan or feb of last season then they clearly got better across the board with team defense (rotations and overall strategy) and most of the players became better individual defenders as well (not jumping for pump fakes, more blocks and steals)

The individual progress of the following guys has been noticeable for those that follow the team:

Nerlens Noel - could barely catch passes, had no offensive game and in general was awkward as hell once he got in the court. Now he can take players off the dribble and finish and has a couple finesse post moves along with a blossoming mid range shot. His defensive awareness has also noticeably gotten better as he put up crazy numbers at the end of the year and did better to stay out of foul trouble. Free throw shooting also came a long way. Nerlens is the poster child for my argument, anyone who saw him enough in college and early last year can see how much hes improved.

Henry Sims - developed a pretty reliable 3 ball from dead center over the course of the year in limited minutes to complement a decent post game.

Robert Covington - improved a good bit as a defender after looking not interested at all in playing that end of the floor when he came up from the D-League. Coaches have helped him play to his strength (shooting) and hes developing some skills to finish at the rim.

Hollis Thompson - dude was a lost cause who was prob close to being cut at some point and by the end of the year he became a decent perimeter defender and one of the best 3 point shooters in the game after he accepted his role. Sixers feature his 3 ball as a weapon now kind of like the Hawks do with Korver.

Jerami Grant - another guy that out of nowhere developed a perimeter game and is a really good streak shooter from 3. His defense improved drastically and he is a top tier perimeter defender for his size all in limited minutes.

JaKarr Sampson - another scrub with a limited game that looked to just be a 12th man. After MCW was dealt he was forced to the play the point for awhile despite having suspect handles and no natural guard skills. By the end of the year he held his own defensively and was a decent and versatile option at the 1 thru 3 spots who could get some buckets.

Believe me there is player development going on, Brett Brown and most of the players have been pretty candid about stuff they are working on over the course of the last year with the media and its making a difference for most of the younger players that have a future with the team. Im not worried about the culture thing either, most of the guys stayed as positive as you could have been with the media during our long streak except MCW who is kind of a whiny bitch which might have had something to do with why we was shipped off ultimately.

Man, it really is going to come down to the Spurs and Suns (of all teams).

Don't worry. Spurs got this.

horry-vs-nash-o.gif

Fjordson

lol, he's being grossly overpayed. but it will look like a bargain next year.
Dude is signed through 2020. And the fact that it's all 5 years without an option is another bonus. The Warriors just won a title and now have their three best players signed under the max, with Klay and Dray signed long term.

Anyone saying it's less than great needs to start taking notes or something when they watch these games.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Anyone who thinks Draymond's deal was bad isn't paying attention when they watch the Warriors.

And it was technically 82 mill.

This so much, their entire defense and a lot of offense depends on curry and Green.

Most of their scoring comes from Draymond rebounding and pushing it up for curry/thompson threes. It's a lot easier for curry to get Layups when Draymond is pulling centers to the three point line and still be able to guard him at the other end.

Fjordson

This so much, their entire defense and a lot of offense depends on curry and Green.

Most of their scoring comes from Draymond rebounding and pushing it up for curry/thompson threes. It's a lot easier for curry to get Layups when Draymond is pulling centers to the three point line and still be able to guard him at the other end.
+ it's also a bit of an unspoken commitment to Curry who the Warriors will try to convince to stay in two years. He may be Curry's favourite teammate on and off the court.

Ok I am thinking Suns got some kind of guarantee from Aldridge

I think this is similar to what San Antonio did in preparation for their meeting. I think now that Aldridge, if he hasn't met with the Knicks already, is getting ready to finish all of his meetings their just trying to get things as set as they can to try and persuade him.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m4 minutes ago
Suns need to get off Markieff Morris/PJ Tucker in sign-and-trades or dumps to get closer to space needed for Chandler and Aldridge.

Suns have no assurance that Aldridge will sign, but the fact that he's suddenly so intrigued has motivated them to push hard.

Really Aldridge?

LaMarcus Aldridge is considering the possibility of taking a visit or two in free agency, sources tell Yahoo. No decision is imminent.

And desperate Lakers.

The Lakers have expressed a desire to get a second meeting with Aldridge, but unclear if that'll happen, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Suns making PJ Tucker and the good Morris twin available? Damn PHX phones must be ringing non-stop. Several teams should be interested/

Lakers can't handle the rejection. Lol. The audacity of the Lakers trying to seek another meeting after LMA gave them the GSP " I am not impressed with your performance"

Okay. I'm really beginning to believe LaMarcus is doing this just to make a point to Portland and has no intention of leaving, because this is just becoming ridiculous. Almost wish the Spurs had just kept Splitter and moved on with their own plans.

It's not the team, its the front office. Ditto for NYK. Boneheaded move after boneheaded move.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/04/09/matt-barnes-kobe-bryant-lakers-clippers-mitch-kupchak

Lakers lucked into a few titles because Shaq wanted to be Hollywood famous, and Pau wanted to get paid.

I agree the lakers front office has done a terrible job and are completely not self aware of how the rest of the league views them.

They were able to woo Shaq because they initially offered him the most money and had several all-star caliber players already on the team like Van Exel, Ceballos, Jones, and Campbell. Without those guys there he probably wouldn't have been likely to sign back then. The current lakers front office hasn't really had to make a pitch to a big name free agent in almost 20 years, so it's no surprise they're messing up so bad that someone in LMA's camp probably went public about it.

Yahoo Sources: Another high-profile team is pursuing the possibility of gaining an audience with LaMarcus Aldridge: The Miami Heat.

Tywin Lannister going to win. Cause that is what he does. Don Riley got this. But seriously. Why the fuck would Miami want LMA? They don't need him. This is getting crazy for sure.

El Topo

This whole LMA story is starting to get ridiculous. Just pick a damn team. Doesn't exactly reflect too well on him either.

"Pick a team!," yell the people not choosing to uproot from their current locations and lock themselves for anywhere from 3 to 5 years into a different situation.

This is day 2 of free agency and nobody can sign. He can take his time.

Sifl

"Pick a team!," yell the people not choosing to uproot from their current locations and lock themselves for anywhere from 3 to 5 years into a different situation.

This is day 2 of free agency and nobody can sign. He can take his time.
In reality he probably just wants more free food.

Top Bottom