• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

If we can get him for cheap, that'd be cool. I think he would be a solid backup PG. There's a rumor that Knicks already reached out to him so Phil probably thinks he would do well in the triangle.

What about JJ and what do you with Felton? Personally I'd take JJ over Lin if he's willing to come back. I also wouldn't mind seeing Jason Terry come back for one last run, he played pretty decently during the playoffs so he's still got some in the tank.

Read a cap situation for Houston on RealGM, and props to the Houston Rockets

Daryl Morey really did get the steal of free agency signing Patrick Beverley to a 4 year 25 million contract. Reggie Jackson was trying to get a 4 year 48 mil contract, and Beverley couldn't get at least 8-10 million. Heck even Rubio is in double digits. Rondo gets 10 million for what he did in the past, while Beverley can do what Rondo can on offense by being limited but he plays defense which Rondo can't anymore.
Houston can be players in free agency next year in 2016 with that loaded roster. It is just insane.

Harden is on the books for 17 million 2017/18 Team Option
Ariza, Brewer and Beverley are combined 22 million 2017/18 and 2018-19 year isn't guaranteed for Beverley.

Through drafting great role players, All eligible for new contracts after this year I believe.

Donatas Motiejunas $2,288,205
Clint Capela $1,242,720 team option till 2017/2018 at 2.4 mil
Terrence Jones $2,489,529
Kostas P. $4,851,769
Dekker $1.6 mil for 3 years
Harrell $1.4 mil for 4 years.

Props to the Houston Rockets for having faith in their process.

What about JJ and what do you with Felton? Personally I'd take JJ over Lin if he's willing to come back. I also wouldn't mind seeing Jason Terry come back for one last run, he played pretty decently during the playoffs so he's still got some in the tank.

Felton is trash. We tried to get him to get it together for years but he simply wouldnt.

We also have 2.5M in cap space and 2.8M exception to use so anyone we sign would have to be cheap. I def dont want Terry on the Knicks though, cant stand that guy.

Agreed with this being a solid offseason
unlike the Lakers lel

Given our lack of assets, and bad contracts (Bargs & Calderon to a certain extent), I'm kinda happy the Knicks didn't overpay anybody like they would do a couple of years back

Yep. I think it'll take another 3-4 years for the Knicks to be competitive again and even though that'll be in the tail end of Melos contract, I'd rather Phil think long term instead of short sighted "win now" moves.

The Tyson and JR/Shump trades were really short sighted. I know Phil wanted to get them out of the team ASAP but I'm sure we could've gotten something besides a bag of peanuts for dudes who signed for 4/40m and 4/52m contracts this offseason. I wish we could move Calderon.

ViciousDS

Banned
Aldridge was drafted 2nd overall in the 2006 NBA draft by the Chicago Bulls, only to have his draft rights traded to the Portland Trail Blazers for their pick, Tyrus Thomas, and Viktor Khryapa, shortly after.

Still makes me so sad we did this.....him with Crawford if the head injury never happened would have been unreal.

Look at the bright side, fellow Lakers fans:

Russell
Clarkson
Brown
Randle
Upshaw

with Nance off the bench. Summer league is a wrap! Plan the (mini)parade!

HabeeNo

Yep. I think it'll take another 3-4 years for the Knicks to be competitive again and even though that'll be in the tail end of Melos contract, I'd rather Phil think long term instead of short sighted "win now" moves.

The Tyson and JR/Shump trades were really short sighted. I know Phil wanted to get them out of the team ASAP but I'm sure we could've gotten something besides a bag of peanuts for dudes who signed for 4/40m and 4/52m contracts this offseason. I wish we could move Calderon.

Main reason I see Phil pulling the win now deals is because tanking is not an option next year, and we gotta win more than 15 games lolol

dream

Since we're talking about the fucking Summer League, I think WNBA talk is fair game. After starting the season 0-7, then finally getting their first win last night, the Los Angeles Sparks just beat the Tulsa Shock 98-95 in the second half of a back to back, starting a 2 game winning streak for the only Los Angeles basketball team that has a chance at winning anything.

Since we're talking about the fucking Summer League, I think WNBA talk is fair game. After starting the season 0-7, then finally getting their first win last night, the Los Angeles Sparks just beat the Tulsa Shock 98-95 in the second half of a back to back, starting a 2 game winning streak for the only Los Angeles basketball team that has a chance at winning anything.

But didn't Skylar Diggins tear her ACL. What makes this 2 game streak special?

otapnam

Out of curiosity why does anyone want Lin? His stats weren't that bad but he looked god awful whenever I saw him playing with the Lakers last year.

On De'Andre though, he actually has some pretty good post up moves, he just rarely gets a chance to use them.

Also does his mom live in Dallas? She was hanging around one of the post game interviews last season when the Clips were playing in Dallas.

edit: lol DeAndre has a pretty great sense of humor, video of an interview on him after his first ever made jumpshot in the NBA https://youtu.be/sSuQ5dYhcHI?t=15

Also do you still have that reporter Clippers fans?

Put Lin on a not tanking shit roster laker team n you will get decent stats.

Not all star but should b slightly above average. Hes pretty hungry after being tricked into thinking the lakers were above taking

Not all star but should b slightly above average. Hes pretty hungry after being tricked into thinking the lakers were above taking

Yeah, I could see it working out well. I'm still skeptical of him as a starter though.

Saw this over on mavs moneyball :p. Seriously though how did he do it? Some damn Calipari recruiting from Parsons.

Screen_Shot_2015_07_04_at_7_53_29_AM.png

edit: Also is a S&T still possible with the Clips?

Does this mean an Austin Rivers selfie banner will replace the DeAndre Jordan banner that covers up the Lakers championship banners?

maxresdefault.jpg

Lin needs to rejoin the Knicks. Just for the fans to have something to look forward to.

Ptown resident and Blazers fan here,

Anybody know why we have trouble signing free agents from an over all NBA player perspective? I guess it's all down to Aldridge just wanting to leave this year but I never thought going into the summer that we'd lost all our starters. We woulda been second or third in the west if we didn't have so many injuries so I thought everyone would want to re-sign.

As a fan I wanted to see the team go further than first round of the playoffs but on the other hand it will be exciting to see a new team grow. The only high note about all this was at the end of the Memphis series when we put in McCollum and Leonard and they started to blow shit up for a minute. We still got them at least so I wanna watch them get more minutes. With all these new young fast ass dudes on the team it seems like Olshey wasn't happy with the Memphis blowout and wants to outrun that defense.

This Aldridge drama has been entertaining the fuck outta me though. I wish he would stay and take the money. Always take the money.

Anybody know why we have trouble signing free agents from an over all NBA player perspective? I guess it's all down to Aldridge just wanting to leave this year but I never thought going into the summer that we'd lost all our starters. We woulda been second or third in the west if we didn't have so many injuries so I thought everyone would want to re-sign.

As a fan I wanted to see the team go further than first round of the playoffs but on the other hand it will be exciting to see a new team grow. The only high note about all this was at the end of the Memphis series when we put in McCollum and Leonard and they started to blow shit up for a minute. We still got them at least so I wanna watch them get more minutes. With all these new young fast ass dudes on the team it seems like Olshey wasn't happy with the Memphis blowout and wants to outrun that defense.

This Aldridge drama has been entertaining the fuck outta me though. I wish he would stay and take the money. Always take the money.

I think that 2010-2011 portland team would have gone pretty deep if they had beaten the Mavs in the first round that year. Dirk even later admitted that they were the toughest team they faced during that run.

I'm still surprised DeAndre left tbh, it really seems like him and Blake were best buds. Those two were seen everywhere together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8edRxLqmthI

wenorthtoo.jpg

Travel.

http://youtu.be/F4B47QskFmU

At the 4:30 mark, Lowe talks with LMA about the travel. Heard it in podcast with LMA awhile back. Could be a reason as the Blazers lead the league usually in plane miles.

Fjordson

Yeah, I could see it working out well. I'm still skeptical of him as a starter though.

Saw this over on mavs moneyball :p. Seriously though how did he do it? Some damn Calipari recruiting from Parsons.

Screen_Shot_2015_07_04_at_7_53_29_AM.png

edit: Also is a S&T still possible with the Clips?
Lmao @ that Chandler pic.

wenorthtoo.jpg

Travel.

http://youtu.be/F4B47QskFmU

At the 4:30 mark, Lowe talks with LMA about the travel. Heard it in podcast with LMA awhile back. Could be a reason as the Blazers lead the league usually in plane miles.

Yeah, Seattle really needs a team again. I feel like there was some crazy Blazers vs Supersonics games when I was a kid and it just makes sense for the west to have a team up there. I didn't realize we are further north than Toronto though so yeah, you may have a point with the travel aspect regarding getting players.

I'll have to listen to that podcast later, thanks for the link.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Welp, that's that, there's no one left that can make a noticible impact on this team in free agency.

And we're still waiting on Lamarcus. Incredible. Utterly fucking incredible. This transcends pathetic... They don't even have a word for this yet.

The Lakers FO is gonna catch heat like never before when they come away empty handed, or sign some player no one wanted on the roster, just to say they actually did something, after waiting until all the decent FA's are gone thinking they can get Aldridge who already unofficially told them to kick rocks DAYS ago.... They're about to catch heat they haven't seen in a looooong fucking time. From media and fans alike.

But you know what, fuck it. It's time to start the Young Gunna's hype train.

Doe
Kobe
Brown
Randle
Upshaw
Clarkson as the 6th.

This team got no fucking experience, but a truck load of upside and talent. More than any young group in the league. Kobe gonna play the single Dad trying to get by feeding and teaching his kids as they mature into their own identities role here. We're gonna suck on D and probably foul out of every game, but it's all part of the development process and we will see some highlights. Also, top 3 pick is in play now.

NBA... YOUNG GUNNA'S COMIN' FOR YOU! LETS HANG THEM SUMMER LEAGUE BANNERS HOMIE!

Into

Kevin Arnovitz writes of the Clippers' attempts to re-sign DeAndre Jordan: "The Clippers' meeting didn't include a single player. [Blake] Griffin, of course, was in constant touch with his confidant, but [Chris] Paul was off in the Bahamas with LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. Paul made only half-hearted attempts to reach out to Jordan late in the process, according to sources close to the situation."

If this is true, then i just do not get it. DJ played all 82 games last season i believe, which for a center is a miracle and you cant spare 5-10 min to call him? Its more important to show LeBron and Melo what a great cannon ball jump in the water you can do?

Sure, maybe its just media "narrative". But nothing about Chris Paul suggests that he is anything but a major shitbag. This and well 900 other instances kinda hint at that.

So going through all the teams in the west so far:

Warriors - Stayed the same.
Rockets - Stayed the same.
Clippers - Got way worse defensively. Don't think Pierce will help them a ton and still don't get the Lance trade.
Blazers - Got way worse. Want to see the numbers Lillard puts up this season being the main option.
Grizzlies - Stayed the same.
Spurs - Slightly better if they get Aldridge. There hasn't been enough talk of them losing a decent chunk of their bench this offseason.
Dallas - About the same IMO. They have no back court or a bench.
Pelicans - About the same but should be better with age.
Thunder - Almost the exact same. Should be strong title contenders if everyone doesn't go down to injury.
Suns - Slightly better. Way better if they get Aldridge.
Jazz - Should be a lot better with age and can definitely make the playoffs.
Timberwolves - Should be a lot better. I think at best they'll be .500 and at worst around 30 wins.
Denver - About the same. In contention for a top 5 pick next year.
Lakers - lol
Kings - loooooooooooooooooooooool

Kings - loooooooooooooooooooooool

Kings did the best that they could with all the cap space they got from the Philly trade.

If George Karl focuses on coaching/building chemistry and Vivek leaves the basketball stuff alone, they can make this lineup work:

Rondo
Mclemore
Gay
WCS
Cousins

bench rotation:

Darren Collison
Bellineli
Casspi (assuming he's resigned)
Solid big FA (?)

Lot of people will look over this as nothing. Dude has potential. I live in AZ watched him a lot at U of A. Athletic and can shoot the deep ball. If he has a coach that pushes him he can be a decent player for the knicks. Hopefully he actually gets a chance to compete there.

I hope so. As a Knicks fan, I see him as just another average bench player. Seems not to be able to do anything well.

Off topic but I just checked Nike.com and it seems they are selling newer color ways for some of their signature shoes.. Independence Day themed according to one website... All are ugly with the exception of the Kylie 1.

As a toronto fan, I'm reminded of when Bosh left. He had everything EXCEPT getting past the first round (not his fault, like vince Carter before him he was alone).

Like LMA, there was money, love, marketing, and a really nice liveable city (love both POR and TO, amazing quality of life).

But the winning thing. Spinning their wheels. It's almost like they peaked and knew that they'd never get past the first round. And would have to play centre sometimes and get banged up cuz of lack of team talent. And if they did make the playoffs, it would be seed 6-8 and they would be playing over 40 minutes a game. To be dispatched with in 5 games.

In Bosh case, champion like Riley comes calling, says come play with Lebron. Here's your money too.

And of course LMA is being given quite possibly the highest most generous honour in the league right now - being told he can take the reigns from Duncan and continue this winning Spurs tradition into the next decade.

So nothing against Portland, just not the best basketball situation for both parties.

DJwest

I just can't stop laughing everytime I think of Melo lmao. I guess his 2016 season will end again after the All Star Game. For shame!

Bowser

Hearing Tobias Harris received MAX offer from the Kings, strongly considered it. Appeal of staying in Orlando and a solid offer sealed deal

Lol kings

Macadinho

Banned
I just can't stop laughing everytime I think of Melo lmao. I guess his 2016 season will end again after the All Star Game. For shame!

I know he'll probably get voted for because of his name and profile etc... But surely the East has a better power forward it can nominate ahead of him rather than Melo on lets face it a Knicks team that'll surely be in the lottery next year.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I know he'll probably get voted for because of his name and profile etc... But surely the East has a better power forward it can nominate ahead of him rather than Melo on lets face it a Knicks team that'll surely be in the lottery next year.

He'll get voted into the All star game because he's one of the best players in the league still. Just happens to be playing for the most dysfunctional team in the league.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Heat GAF, how'd ya'll like Justise this morning? I was asleep, but i see he had 15 on 4-8. 1-3, 6-8 and was +28.

Just have to get this out of the way now - summer league is 1000000% irrelevant. Much like preseason. The list of players who dominated summer league and sucked in the NBA (or vice versa) is 20000 pages long.

Just have to get this out of the way now - summer league is 1000000% irrelevant. Much like preseason. The list of players who dominated summer league and sucked in the NBA (or vice versa) is 20000 pages long.

However, we need summer league talk to provide respite from Laker free agency whining.

Fatalah

I hope so. As a Knicks fan, I see him as just another average bench player. Seems not to be able to do anything well.[players/QUOTE]

I'll let PJ's coaching crew with with him before making a final judgment on Derrick. If he plays well, he'll opt out after year 1. If he doesn't opt out, he has 1 more year to work on his ish.

h1nch

@WojYahooNBA

Free agent LaMarcus Aldridge will sign with the San Antonio Spurs, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

BOOM

SaintR

@WojYahooNBA

Free agent LaMarcus Aldridge will sign with the San Antonio Spurs, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

BOOM

Man that's a solid team, good on him to make the best choice for his career...also thank god he didn't end up in the Heat after all was said and done.

So is that pretty much everybody out of the top tier free agents? (Not including Lebron)

Top Bottom