• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

I think what this offseason showed is that cap space is really no longer an asset. Look at how easily teams like PHX and San Antone were able to create space when they needed it? It doesn't take 2-3 years of tanking/planning to have a ton of cap space. This might be the last time you ever see teams arming themselves with cap space as a weapon in free agency. That's no longer alluring to players. What we have also learned is that players want to play with other good players. That's not something the Lakers or Knicks can offer right now. All they have is cap space. If I'm 30 year old LaMarcus Aldridge do I want to go to the Lakers snd spend a year or two of my prime finding out if Julius Randle and DAngelo Russell are any good? I mean, even if we had signed either him or DeAndre, this is probably still a lottery team. Now if after this season, Randle and Russell look like studs, we might have something to sell guys on, but this offseason was a sobering reminder for Lakers fans that we are at the beginning of the rebuilding process, not the end, and having a ton of cap space alone doesn't let you skip any steps.

smurfx

get some go again
as long as that clown jim buss is running things for the lakers then expect them to continue sucking. he said he would step down if the lakers suck this year but we know he isn't going to.

I know
i was seeing if he'd call me out

actually thinking about Shaq got me to thinking about how things have changed. Back in the summer of '96 Jerry West completely cleared the Lakers of anybody who made any kind of money. He sold Shaq on the idea of coming to a team that was a blank slate (aside from a couple of promising young guys like Eddie Jones and NVE, and some high school kid named Kobe) in order to have the money needed to pay what it was gonna take to get Shaq. Maybe it's because Shaq was a generational talent (much like LeBron) who can be surrounded by complete trash and still win 50 games a year, or if players are savvier now and know they can win titles and get endorsements anywhere. KD makes like $200 millon from his shoe deal and he plays in OKC.

as long as that clown jim buss is running things for the lakers then expect them to continue sucking. he said he would step down if the lakers suck this year but we know he isn't going to.

The Jim Buss thing is fun to joke about, but it's become a media parody at this point. There is nothing to show that Jimmy Buss is solely to blame for anything that is going on. I don't think Jerry West himself could have talked a guy like LMA into choosing the Lakers over Spurs or Rockets or Suns. They simply had more to offer. More to show. People keep saying how bad Jimmy Buss is, but can anyone cite specifically something he has done? Don't get me wrong I don't think he's Basketball Jesus or anything, but this idea that he alone is ruining the Lakers seems like an easy narrative to latch on to and little else. The Lakers suck right now because sometimes that is what happens to teams when their players get old and they are forced to rebuild.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think what this offseason showed is that cap space is really no longer an asset. Look at how easily teams like PHX and San Antone were able to create space when they needed it? It doesn't take 2-3 years of tanking/planning to have a ton of cap space. This might be the last time you ever see teams arming themselves with cap space as a weapon in free agency. That's no longer alluring to players. What we have also learned is that players want to play with other good players. That's not something the Lakers or Knicks can offer right now. All they have is cap space. If I'm 30 year old LaMarcus Aldridge do I want to go to the Lakers snd spend a year or two of my prime finding out if Julius Randle and DAngelo Russell are any good? I mean, even if we had signed either him or DeAndre, this is probably still a lottery team. Now if after this season, Randle and Russell look like studs, we might have something to sell guys on, but this offseason was a sobering reminder for Lakers fans that we are at the beginning of the rebuilding process, not the end, and having a ton of cap space alone doesn't let you skip any steps.

Agree 100%. The thing is when you already have a good team its really easy to trade your away good players to free up cap space to sign up great players. Who want to play for you because you've already established yourself as being a good team. Teams have more money to spend then there are guys worth it out there as FAs.

Pretty much every team in the league can clear up enough cap space to sign a guy like KD next offseason. Having it right now or at the beginning of the offseason doesn't really mean shit. Philly could decide next year is they want to get serious about winning and they have all the cap space in the world, it doesnt mean shit because they aren't actually going to be able sign anyone unless they plan on giving the max to a guy nobody else in the league would think about doing that with.

Agree 100%. The thing is when you already have a good team its really easy to trade your away good players to free up cap space to sign up great players. Who want to play for you because you've already established yourself as being a good team. Teams have more money to spend then there are guys worth it out there as FAs.

Pretty much every team in the league can clear up enough cap space to sign a guy like KD next offseason. Having it right now or at the beginning of the offseason doesn't really mean shit.

I think Zach Lowe was saying (prior to this offseason, so that could change) that like 27 teams project to have enough cap space to offer KD a max deal next year. Shit is gonna be crazy. If you thought teams were throwing money around this year...

ViciousDS

Banned
heZIScPl.jpg

What an offseason.

Hahaha omg what an amazing picture

At this point Jim Buss seems more like a scapegoat then the entire problem. Sure he messed up but he isn't to blame for everything.

That's exactly what it is. Like I said, don't get me wrong Jim Buss is the product of nepotism, and more often than not that's not good, but a lot of what I've read/heard is that he defers a lot to Mitch on pure basketball decisions. He's not sitting there telling him who to draft or who to trade for (final decision on the number 2 pick, for example, was given 100% to Mitch). This idea that he's creating dysfunction is a myth.

Few years back Aldridge was in the same situation. Dude isn't staying on for another rebuild.

Roy Hibbert is the one Lakers-GAF.

Its one year and we need a center badly (I like Upshaw but he's too prone to being a fuck up to trust). Only thing that worries me is his slow down game hurting the development of our young guys. Let those boys get out and run.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
This free agency was the death of the big market advantage. Players are choosing money and winning over money and losing in a big market.

Would love to see the Cavs sign someone new that's good. They can offer their mmle which would be more than the minimum offer the Spurs can offer West.

This free agency was the death of the big market advantage. Players are choosing money and winning over money and losing in a big market.

I think it can still be an advantage if all other things are equal, but yeah if all you have to offer is money and fame, players can get that anywhere. KD got what? Like some crazy $200 million shoe deal playing in OKC.

Heck I wouldn't want to play for Byron Scott either. Coaching matters. Byron Scott discussed the high rate of three-point shot attempts taken by NBA teams and admitted he is not a believer in the system.

“You’ve got a lot of teams that just live and die by it,” Scott said Friday. “Teams, general managers, coaches, they kind of draft that way to try to space the floor as much as possible. But you have to have shooters like that; you also have to have guys that can penetrate and get to the basket, because that opens up the floor.”

When asked whether he buys into the style, Scott said: “I don’t believe it wins championships. (It) gets you to the playoffs.”

Through four exhibition games, the Los Angeles Lakers are averaging about seven 3-point attempts and have made just six of 29.

Eight of the last Nine NBA champions led all playoff teams in 3-point attempts and makes.

The dude is an outdated coach. It is just that simple. Even Pop had to reinvent how his team played in the last decade. Lakers actually downgraded from D'Antoni to Byron Scott. It is the sad true Lakers fans.

Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 3m3 minutes ago
Hearing the Lakers-Pacers deal is done involving Roy Hibbert. Just a matter of the assets involved now.

And now Byron Scott going to run plays through Roy Hibbert. Prayers are with you Lakers-GAF.

Blazers gonna be in the running for a top 3 draft pick, though we know their history with those...

"With the 2nd pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, the Portland Trailblazers select... Michael Jordan? It's a bit late for that, jerks. You're getting Marshall Plumlee out of Duke. The Los Angeles Lakers are now on the clock."

actually thinking about Shaq got me to thinking about how things have changed. Back in the summer of '96 Jerry West completely cleared the Lakers of anybody who made any kind of money. He sold Shaq on the idea of coming to a team that was a blank slate (aside from a couple of promising young guys like Eddie Jones and NVE, and some high school kid named Kobe) in order to have the money needed to pay what it was gonna take to get Shaq. Maybe it's because Shaq was a generational talent (much like LeBron) who can be surrounded by complete trash and still win 50 games a year, or if players are savvier now and know they can win titles and get endorsements anywhere. KD makes like $200 millon from his shoe deal and he plays in OKC.

I think the bolded is a pretty key thing. You don't have to play in New York, Chicago or LA to be on TV all the time anymore.

Parker
Green
Leonard
Aldridge
Duncan
all coached by Pop

That's like an all time starting 5, Spurs just confirmed 2-3 rings with this signing. Insane, just call it a season already

shwimpy

Parker - Over the hill
Green - Inconsistent
Leonard - Overrated
Aldridge - Their best player
Duncan - One year older
all coached by Pop - GOAT

That's like an all time starting 5, Spurs just confirmed 2-3 rings with this signing. Insane, just call it a season already
It'll definitely be an interesting year for them.

The Portland assistant that said LaMarcus Aldridge wouldn't be returning got fired.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...t-coach-kim-hughes-lamarcus-aldridge-comments

Portland president of basketball operations Neil Olshey told The Oregonian on Saturday that Kim Hughes has been fired for comments made last week.

"We can confirm Mr. Hughes is no longer with the team," Olshey told the newspaper. "It is our policy to otherwise refrain from commenting on personnel matters."

Hughes told WTHI of Terre Haute, Indiana, on June 27 that Aldridge wouldn't be returning to Portland. It wasn't until Saturday that Aldridge announced that he would be signing with the San Antonio Spurs.

Top Bottom