• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

lol, Stephen A's rants on Hibbert when he had those zero point zero rebound playoff games were hilarious as hell.

https://youtu.be/xEurHNJX0HI?t=161

This gem was pretty great, not mine btw

hibbert00xta8j.gif

It seems LMA took less money to sign with Spurs. Dude really trusts pop will get him to that TD status.
He's like Bynum 2.0 just lost love for the game. It was the most awkward shit I watched in a season.
And It didn't help that bird said they plan on playing smaller/more outsides once PG comes back. It's like equivalent to Hibert can fuck off if translated to nba forums lingo.

I think what this offseason showed is that cap space is really no longer an asset. Look at how easily teams like PHX and San Antone were able to create space when they needed it? It doesn't take 2-3 years of tanking/planning to have a ton of cap space. This might be the last time you ever see teams arming themselves with cap space as a weapon in free agency. That's no longer alluring to players. What we have also learned is that players want to play with other good players. That's not something the Lakers or Knicks can offer right now. All they have is cap space. If I'm 30 year old LaMarcus Aldridge do I want to go to the Lakers snd spend a year or two of my prime finding out if Julius Randle and DAngelo Russell are any good? I mean, even if we had signed either him or DeAndre, this is probably still a lottery team. Now if after this season, Randle and Russell look like studs, we might have something to sell guys on, but this offseason was a sobering reminder for Lakers fans that we are at the beginning of the rebuilding process, not the end, and having a ton of cap space alone doesn't let you skip any steps.

Well said. Some writer mentioned how salaries are so high now that a few mill here and there doesn't matter to these (millennial generation) players. Many are concerned with legacy, quality of life, treatment, and of course winning (see legacy).

Plus a lot of the smaller market cities have become really sweet places over the past ten years.

I think Zach Lowe was saying (prior to this offseason, so that could change) that like 27 teams project to have enough cap space to offer KD a max deal next year. Shit is gonna be crazy. If you thought teams were throwing money around this year...

Smart money is on the GM who focus away from KD and makes a big splash for the other FAs RIGHT AWAY.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Knicks got Kyle O'Quinn from the Magic, 16/4 - Woj

Honestly don't know how I feel about this one lol

Knicks fans will love this guy. He's not great but he busts his ass off like a maniac. Dude gives 100% effort. And hes a NYC kid too. Wish the Magic kept him but realistically there was no way he was gonna see any playing time. Good move by the Knicks.

ISOM

I don't know how to feel about hibert tbh. He's a huge question mark for me...

Hibbert is still elite defensively. The Lakers won't need to do anything but have him protect the paint. It's actually a great signing because it covers up the defensive weaknesses of our lineup.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hibbert is a gamer. Lakersgaf rejoice. We have found one of us.

Gonna need to change his Twitter handle and banner tho. Purple and gold swagger lol

I find it funny that ESPN is trying to put West on Clev, like really why would he go there, he wants to win but he also wants to play, Cavs have 4 starting caliber bigs already, they need pg and wings.

Yea, I just don't see it happening. Mozgov proved to me that he is a starting center - obviously Love is starting. The only way I see this working out is if they move Verajao and they play small 5 with Mozgov's backup.

I find it funny that ESPN is trying to put West on Clev, like really why would he go there, he wants to win but he also wants to play, Cavs have 4 starting caliber bigs already, they need pg and wings.

Yea, I just don't see it happening. Mozgov proved to me that he is a starting center - obviously Love is starting. The only way I see this working out is if they move Verajao and they play small 5 with Mozgov's backup.

Varejao's coming off the Achilles tear. You're fooling yourself if you think he'll be where he was pre-injury anytime soon, then don't forget he's Anderson Varejao and will likely get injured again at some point in the season.

You can never have enough decent bigs, and also keeping them from going to other Contenders is a viable strategy as well.

Cavs don't think Thompson is worth 5/80. But what are they going to do? They don't really have a choice.

Yeah, he's not, but Gilbert is already gonna pay out of the ass since he needs to keep LeBron happy. If that Contract is too bloated, it legit hurts the team as it'll be extremely hard to move later if need be, and even with the Cap rising. The Love deal, is going to be super friendly under the new cap should they decide to go in another direction or win the title.

Does Brian Windhorst hate the Lakers or something? Just watched him hate on Hibbert and say he doesn't fit the Lakers and how Lakers are just doing this for next year so they can repeat going after top FAs.

I think if it's true that the Cavs are going after West, then Varajao is on the block in some deal. They would move TT to the 5 to backup Mozgov, and West will play behind Love. That's a pretty lethal front court.

Does Brian Windhorst hate the Lakers or something? Just watched him hate on Hibbert and say he doesn't fit the Lakers and how Lakers are just doing this for next year so they can repeat going after top FAs.

I don't know about the lack of fit, but the rest is accurate enough. Hibbert has a year left on his deal and he comes off the books.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah, he's not, but Gilbert is already gonna pay out of the ass since he needs to keep LeBron happy. If that Contract is too bloated, it legit hurts the team as it'll be extremely hard to move later if need be, and even with the Cap rising. The Love deal, is going to be super friendly under the new cap should they decide to go in another direction or win the title.

Cavs don't think Thompson is worth 5/80. But what are they going to do? They don't really have a choice.

But is it really leverage when you know Lebron isn't going to actually walk because his boy can't pillage his hometown teams coffers even worse then he already will?

When you know a guy isn't walking out that door it kinda limits the power you have. Though Gilbert is a sucker so he probably will bend to Lebrons whim.

Varejao is also another one of "LeBron's boys" , and the only Cavs member that was actually in Cleveland that's still here from their first run, so it's doubtful LeBron would want him gone, even with that bad contract.

I mean, yeah the Cavs were pretty damn lethal when Healthy and could have possibly beaten the Warriors if they were at full strengh, but keeping guys like Varejao off limits and bending to his will to give TT near-max numbers really doesn't help the team too much going forward.

PopeReal

So.... my Blazers are gutted but I fully expect them to surprise everyone and make a deep playoff run.

But offhand, how does the next draft class look? (asking for a friend)

So.... my Blazers are gutted but I fully expect them to surprise everyone and make a deep playoff run.

But offhand, how does the next draft class look? (asking for a friend)

Pretty bad. I don't follow high school basketball at all or college basketball too closely, but part of the reason there were so few trades in the draft this year was because nobody thinks it'll be that good next year.

Fjordson

Next year's draft is weak. One after that will be good, though.

Wonder how many games they'll sit out to prepare themselves for the playoffs. They're definitely no spring chickens anymore, but anyone would be a fool to underestimate them.
Oh they could win the title, but if Manu and Parker were still consistent I really think they could get close to the 72 win record. Both have regressed though, especially Manu.

I don't see the Spurs making that big of a splash during the regular season because of part time players Duncan, Parker, etc but they'll be super dangerous in the playoffs.

Edit: my hawks tho :( we literally have 0 sfs on the team lol.
Rumors of Wesley Johnson are ok. Better than nothing.

Top Bottom