• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Gigglepoo

Little indifferent on the potential Joe Johnson deal. Makes me think the pickings are pretty slim for that Haywood contract.

No one can contest that West and JJ would be a nice influx of talent, but they're likely just one year players with CLE, and I'd rather get a young promising player, or some picks for more ammunition to keep reloading as this team goes forward.

I also don't think they'd get rid of Varejao, he is in Mike Miller territory to LeBron. Although, if he could give a back door guarantee that he'd get bought out later in the season and come back, then maybe.

How do expect the Cavs to get a young, promising player or decent draft picks? I'm shocked they could potentially get a legit player like Johnson for nothing and you want even more?

How do expect the Cavs to get a young, promising player or decent draft picks? I'm shocked they could potentially get a legit player like Johnson for nothing and you want even more?

eh, I'd like someone south of 30 at least, that 11 mil non guaranteed is a powerful piece for some of these teams trying to get under the cap.

Last year the Cavs got reemed in clearing up Space for LeBron in having to give up a 1st rounder, Zeller, Karasev, Jack and probably more I'm forgetting simply for space.

While JJ is a very nice player, he's also 35 and on a one year deal. It's why I'm thinking they're simply unable to move it as easily as they may have believed, as I'm sure they're prefer to try to find a slightly younger package, or some decent assets to use later.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Justise didn't shoot the ball well today, but he was making plays, handled the ball fairly well. That last inbounds pass was perfect with 0.4 seconds on the clock.
He looks like baby Iguodala on the court. I didn't think he'd be a reliable ballhandler or a playmaker so early. It's going to be awesome to see him on the court with Dragic, Bosh, Whiteside, Wade, etc...
But he's definitely not a 3, yet.

Stanley Johnson out here ballin

tumblr_m39rql6cxR1r7zpado1_400.gif

eh, I'd like someone south of 30 at least, that 11 mil non guaranteed is a powerful piece for some of these teams trying to get under the cap.

Last year the Cavs got reemed in clearing up Space for LeBron in having to give up a 1st rounder, Zeller, Karasev, Jack and probably more I'm forgetting simply for space.

While JJ is a very nice player, he's also 35 and on a one year deal. It's why I'm thinking they're simply unable to move it as easily as they may have believed, as I'm sure they're prefer to try to find a slightly younger package, or some decent assets to use later.

Cap space/expiring contracts are not very valuable. Roy Hibbert was a $15 milliion expiring contract (and, unlike Haywood, an actually somewhat decent player attached to it) and all the Pacers got for him was a 2nd rounder. Haywood's contract is simply filler. It carries no value around the league.

Cap space/expiring contracts are not very valuable. Roy Hibbert was a $15 milliion expiring contract (and, unlike Haywood, an actually somewhat decent player attached to it) and all the Pacers got for him was a 2nd rounder. Haywood's contract is simply filler. It carries no value around the league.

Wasn't the Pacers and Hibbert a mutual parting for it though? Indiana wanted to speed its team up, and with him opting in, they couldn't ask for much in return.

Hope he actually plays with some desire for you guys though.

This is one of the Cavs last assets to use for a while, other than MMLE and minimums. Oh well, FA isn't over, there may still be a desperate team yet. ;p

How did Haywood get that contract anyways??!?? Who the hell gives a dude that's already been amnestied 10m a year?
mindblown.png

t26

kcxiv

I love the Laker fans who think these signings were "great" and the team will be a playoff team next year.

Come back to reality bros

no one thinks they are a play off team,b ut they have to still try to win now. They are more then likely a lottery team, but like i said, not a bottom 3 team

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
In the East, the Lakers would be a 30-35 win team. In the Western conference Monster Island, I give them 25 wins.

Bread

Banned
Bass is a solid player, he always kept his head down and put in 100% every night. I won't really miss him though.

Gigglepoo

In the East, the Lakers would be a 30-35 win team. In the Western conference Monster Island, I give them 25 wins.

Kind of impossible to know. We have no idea how good Russle and Randle will be, if Kobe will stay healthy, or how hard Hibbert will push himself. If everything comes together, they'll be competitive.

I think that severely underestimates the learning curve young guys have in this league. Even if the young guys play well, they are still largely rookies. Rookies playing on a flawed roster for a mediocre at best head coach. People said I was crazy when I said the Lakers would be one of the worst teams in the league last year, they are much closer to a 20 win team than a 40 win team next season.

I like the point you made about the coaching being a downgrade. I'm surprised that doesn't get mentioned more. His stance against the move to 3-point success over the past decade is just...troubling. Add in KB thinking he's 27, Hibbert (who may have other issues at play, which we can all be sympathetic to), and a bunch of rookies and it's a recipe for a 30 win team.

The fact that Jeremy Lin seemed frustrated said it all. That guy is of strong character and has experience playing in some awkward situations (NYK and backing up Beverly on Hou).

Sandfox

Lakers getting Bass would be a good get. This year's team is shaping up to be a lot more fun barring injury.

The Lakers won 21 games with a worse roster and a crazy amount of injuries so I see more than 25 wins unless something crazy happens.

Wait Lou is a Laker now?

Shit.

Raptors what are you doing.

Defence man. Good player, bailed out the raps more than a few times. But contract year balling + team needs perimeter defender badly lends itself to where we stand now. Money spent on demarre, biyombo, drafting a senior PG, and probably another couple of journeyman signings to shore up the bench D.

Remember the east is totally wide open. We are all competing for the opportunity to be swept by the LeBrons.

Edit: just realized I was made a full gaf member today! :) hooray!

We didn't land the big guys, but honestly I think I agree that this is actually sort of a good lesson for the front office. Shame he has to come to the Spurs though. Fuck the Spurs.

I'll happily cheer for the Rockets this year over other team, by the way.

I hope this hard lesson will finally get the Lakers organization to understand that....it was what they brought to the game of basketball is what makes them The Lakers. The flash and the California culture is nice...but ultimately it comes to what's on the court and how they play. They played like shit and unless they realize that they need to be more than shit, all the secondhand perks are irrelevant.

But....Roy Hibbert? Lou Williams? Shit, I'll take these guys. I'm not looking for a title, I want a good effort and some great Lakers basketball. Make it happen! Meanwhile, keep your heads up guys, and don't listen to the media wholeheartedly. Work your asses off and get better as players.

Also, as much as I like him, Byron Scott may have to be gone. I'll give him another year, but if he doesn't show improvements as a coach, I say let him go or let him be an assistant coach. He might be better at that.

Top Bottom