• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Basketball Reference has him down for almost $88 mil made in his career thus far. I don't think $10 mil means as much to him as it does to you and me.

That's still over 11% of his career earnings that he's giving up. I don't care how rich you are that's a decent chunk of change to pass on for the chance at a ring.

If there is one team that is the opposite of fradulent it is the Spurs lol.

Oh, for sure. Especially with Pop, although they still have to play the games and Warriors are looking just as good.

Wondering if Duncan and the rest of the Old 3 can stay healthy all season. (Then again they could take 30 games off and be fine. ;p)

That's still over 11% of his career earnings that he's giving up. I don't care how rich you are that's a decent chunk of change to pass on for the chance at a ring.

Oh sure, I agree, and I don't know that I would do it myself. It's just important to keep in perspective how little $10 million matters to David West than to the average American.

Oh, for sure. Especially with Pop, although they still have to play the games and Warriors are looking just as good.

Wondering if Duncan and the rest of the Old 3 can stay healthy all season. (Then again they could take 30 games off and be fine. ;p)

After these Finals im not worried about GS. I saw an inferior version of Spurs ball.

As the days go by, the Haywood offers dry up and get worse, and FAs get snatched up. So, they're not helping themselves much by not getting TT signed, to get LeBron re-uped to finish shapping the rest of the team this year.

The only free agents they can get are the ones that can't get big deals elsewhere, they just don't have any money. Maybe they missed out on West, but he seems to be an outlier. He committed early when he really didn't have to, minimum deals will always be there.

It seems to me that the Cavs' need is additional depth at the point guard position, and neither West nor Johnson fill that role anyway. Haywood's contract may or may not get them the piece they need, but they still have another month before they have to move it (or lose it). As for free agents, forget about it. They'll get someone on a minimum deal, and that's not buying you much.

Spurs fans already getting loud. It's July brehs. Be easy. I remember people crowning the Cavs after they got Love.
I think fans are mostly celebrating the successful off-season the Spurs are having. The people making championship predictions are other teams' fans.

I mean... how can you not admire that front office game?

EDIT: And, not that it matters because it's a single anecdote, but people that "crowned the Cavs after they got Love" don't exactly have egg on their face: the team did come within 2 games of the trophy. That's not a bad prediction.

SaintR

Man the Spurs tho. I can't believe it was back in 1999 that the Knicks met the Spurs in the Finals and here are the Spurs STILL going strong and the Knicks are getting dissed by David "me to the Knicks is ridiculous" West and LMA won't even meet with them Lol.

F this.

Fjordson

Spurs have to drop that built not bought mantra now that they bought Aldridge's talents for 80M and got David West for the low low.
True, though I heard on NBA TV that Aldridge is the first free-agent coming off an all-star appearance that the Spurs have gotten since like '91. Crazy stat considering how much they've won. Dat draft success.

Man the Spurs tho. I can't believe it was back in 1999 that the Knicks met the Spurs in the Finals and here are the Spurs STILL going strong and the Knicks are getting dissed by David "me to the Knicks is ridiculous" West and LMA won't even meet with them Lol.

F this.
That's my favorite "Tim Duncan is so old" line. Tim Duncan is so old he's played against the Knicks in the finals.

The only free agents they can get are the ones that can't get big deals elsewhere, they just don't have any money. Maybe they missed out on West, but he seems to be an outlier. He committed early when he really didn't have to, minimum deals will always be there.

It seems to me that the Cavs' need is additional depth at the point guard position, and neither West nor Johnson fill that role anyway. Haywood's contract may or may not get them the piece they need, but they still have another month before they have to move it (or lose it). As for free agents, forget about it. They'll get someone on a minimum deal, and that's not buying you much.

Yeah, I get you. Cavs have the MMLE, I think that's like 3.6 mil? So other than the Haywood contract and sending out other guys with him (like the JJ example) is all they could do for anyone else expensive.

With guys like Stuckey, and Joseph gone now, is the most alluring FA guard Mo Williams? Wondering if he'd even accept a minimum deal.

Fjordson

EDIT: And, not that it matters because it's a single anecdote, but people that "crowned the Cavs after they got Love" don't exactly have egg on their face: the team did come within 2 games of the trophy. That's not a bad prediction.
I mean if you're into moral victories I guess lol.

edit:

Cavs interested in Crawford
So I guess JR is definitely leaving? For some reason I thought he was coming back.

Gigglepoo

David West was one of my favorite players in the league even before he joined my beloved Pacers. It's so refreshing to see an athlete that really cares about winning first and foremost, and is willing to sacrifice money to be a champion. Good for him. I'll be rooting for the Spurs next year (unless the Pacers shock the world).

Fjordson

If the Spurs get precisely as close as the Cavs did, it means your Warriors don't repeat. You know what else it means? It means Calipari leaves Kentucky to coach overseas.

The two are related somehow.
Stop that. Cal gonna retire at UK. He just went 40-0, dude is on top of the world.

Oh wait....

Blade%20Runner%20-%20Batty%20in%20the%20Rain.gif

Fjordson

Cousins somehow still going to LA would be awesome. The league needs someone as entertaining as Boogie to be on a good team and/or huge market like LA. He's wasting away in Sacramento.

Probably the same reason people are fine making $70k a year and being comfortable than reaching for $90k and stressing.

You reach a certain point where you've got more than enough $, and a few extra mill won't change your life a heck of a lot.

But the experience of being part of a champ squad lasts forever.

Cousins somehow still going to LA would be awesome. The league needs someone as entertaining as Boogie to be on a good team and/or huge market like LA. He's wasting away in Sacramento.

I'd love to see Boogie go to a good team but I don't think the league needs him to go to a big market.

Fjordson

I'd love to see Boogie go to a good team but I don't think the league needs him to go to a big market.
Lmao, you're probably right, but as a fan I can only hope. Sacramento is just so dull. Even being there live, I've been to a few games over the past 3 seasons and the crowd and atmosphere is pitiful compared to the early 2000's (not that I totally blame the fans, the product ain't exactly great).

Top Bottom