• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

I would hate to think that TT negotiations and the desire to keep Varejao cost the Cavs from signing David West on a veteran minimum contract. And if Lebron didn't call David West and recruit him shame on him and the Cavs. Lebron called Kendrick Perkins recruit him to the Cavs.

I would hate to think that TT negotiations and the desire to keep Varejao cost the Cavs from signing David West on a veteran minimum contract. And if Lebron didn't call David West and recruit him shame on him and the Cavs. Lebron called Kendrick Perkins recruit him to the Cavs.

This is pretty much what I was getting at earlier. Sources had been saying West contacted the Cavs, but as they're currently constructed he would have been the 5th big, so it was probably contengent on them shipping Varejao out, which didn't happen yet, and could be because they didn't get the TT ball rolling.

I mean, the Cavs will still be damn good, but they could be looking unfair good, like the Spurs are starting to shape out.

Speaking of the Cavs, everybody is going to joke all year about their tax situation, "Brooklyn Cavs," etc., but so far, have they actually acquired anybody? Trade, anything? So far, they're paying out the nose to keep their own guys.

Fjordson

Summer League update: Justise Winslow is D Whistle reincarnated. Already has 5 FT attempts in the first quarter.
lol I saw Winslow's first game the other day. I know it's only summer league so it might not mean much, but he looked nice. Even his jumper.

Stanley Johnson for Detroit also looks good. Had had like 24 and 10 in the game I saw.

That last play from Winslow shows his strength. He might be undersized from a height perspective, but he can overpower you. He might not be the best dribbler, but his strength will get him into the lane. If he gets calls in the league, he'll be really useful.

Shame on David Griffin and Lebron James then. Lebron played against West several times and he choose loyalty with Varejao. So sad.

One of the Cavs message boards is melting down over it right now, the guy they were praising last year for getting Love and LeBron here (wasn't really him...) and shipping out Wiggins (also, really wasn't his call lol) are now damning him for sitting on his hands and doing nothing but reupping our guys, and for taking too long to re-sign TT.

Speaking of the Cavs, everybody is going to joke all year about their tax situation, "Brooklyn Cavs," etc., but so far, have they actually acquired anybody? Trade, anything? So far, they're paying out the nose to keep their own guys.

This is a pretty good tracker for offseason moves:

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/30/8860381/nba-free-agent-signings-tracker-2015-rumors

But no, the Cavs haven't actually added anyone new to their roster. But with a presumably healthy Irving and Love coming back, it's quite possible they won't need to, at least not to run roughshod over the East.

Fjordson

That last play from Winslow shows his strength. He might be undersized from a height perspective, but he can overpower you. He might not be the best dribbler, but his strength will get him into the lane. If he gets calls in the league, he'll be really useful.
Yeah, once he had his defender on his hip even just a little bit he was able to drive effectively in the game I saw.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Cavs don't need anyone, really. If healthy, they could have easily won a title this year. And if they come up against the Spurs in the finals, which they probably will, then their bigs match up pretty well against the Spurs bigs.

At least now Ray Allen knows exactly where to go.

I also heard that Karl Malone has started working out again.

The way basketball usually works is that players don't play 48 straight minutes and have to rotate players

Yeah, they got some depth in the post, look to be losing some on the wing, and their historic core is another year older. Duncan is timeless, but father time seems to be catching up with Ginobli and Parker.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Spurs' chances, just as I picked them entering the playoffs this past season. But I don't think anyone out west is going to roll over for them.

Cavs don't need anyone, really. If healthy, they could have easily won a title this year. And if they come up against the Spurs in the finals, which they probably will, then their bigs match up pretty well against the Spurs bigs.

I agree, they really don't need much at all (besides PG depth). Health is a challenge for every team that makes a run, but they've got enough parts at most spots on the floor.

Tom Penny

Spurs are still old. It is not a lock at at all that they beat GS or a healthy OKC. They are very good but the West just beats down each other unlike the East making it that much harder win it all.

Fjordson

Spurs need all the frontcourt help they can get. 'Cause if they make it to the finals Parker is getting locked down by Matty D
full

Spurs need all the frontcourt help they can get. 'Cause if they make it to the finals Parker is getting locked down by Matty D
full

I still can't believe Delly was playing like 40 minutes a game. lol If they actually had depth, definitely feel he could have kept up better with Curry.

Fjordson

I still can't believe Delly was playing like 40 minutes a game. lol If they actually had depth, definitely feel he could have kept up better with Curry.
I'm honestly only half joking. For all his faults, the guy is a hell of a defender and can get under the other team's skin.

Tom Penny

Why is there even an Eastern Conference anymore?

I dunno but I believe they are reseeding this year so the division gets you in but not necessarily home court which is a start. They will never do top 16 because of the money the East would lose and equal scheduling.

I dunno, but there shouldn't be.

Top 16 teams should make the playoffs.
Only reasonable argument I've seen against this is possible travel times. Should just happen by now

I dunno but I believe they are reseeding this year so the division gets you in but not necessarily home court which is a start.
Always like that. Memphis had home court over Portland this year. Rule change doesn't guarantee top 4 seed for division champion anymore; not sure if it guarantees playoff berth

Yeah, they got some depth in the post, look to be losing some on the wing, and their historic core is another year older. Duncan is timeless, but father time seems to be catching up with Ginobli and Parker.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Spurs' chances, just as I picked them entering the playoffs this past season. But I don't think anyone out west is going to roll over for them.

Father time is catching up with the big 3, that's why you bring in a 29 year big in his prime that's averaging 23/10 to play along a Finals MVP stud in Leonard

Parker was hurt, that's why they lost to the Clippers, and they needed 7 games and horrible calls to lose. With LA they don't have to rely on Parker for scoring like they have for years, also, Duncan doesn't need to carry so much weight anymore

Gigglepoo

Parker was hurt, that's why they lost to the Clippers, and they needed 7 games and horrible calls to lose. With LA they don't have to rely on Parker for scoring like they have for years, also, Duncan doesn't need to carry so much weight anymore

The Clippers deserved to win that series. There's no reason to denigrate what LA accomplished to make the Spurs look better. It was a great series but the better team ultimately pulled it out.

The Clippers deserved to win that series. There's no reason to denigrate what LA accomplished to make the Spurs look better. It was a great series but the better team ultimately pulled it out.

I def wouldnt say the Clips were the better team. They were the healthier team and Chris Paul had like a once in a lifetime game.

Parker being crippled the entire series, Splitter (starting center) playing hurt was a shell of himself, those aren't things to simply overlook

You can't be serious

Both teams were incredibly evenly matched, performance wise. How can you possibly sag the clear cut better team won?

Gigglepoo

You can't be serious

Both teams were incredibly evenly matched, performance wise. How can you possibly sag the clear cut better team won?

You're right. It's not a clear cut victory. I just think it's lame to read excuses for why the Spurs lost instead of acknowledging that they got beat.

Top Bottom