• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

j3VxfBD.png

LcA2HAd.jpg

Paul's Banana Boat tweet was the best though. lol

Bread

Banned
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't think he's a max player at all and think this whole thing is silly but i'm also kinda happy that some NBA news is happening as shit had slowed down recently.
with the cap jump next year he's definitely worth a max right now.

So if I make that game of thrones gif that I talked about earlier would I get banned if I posted it?

I mean it did happen quite a while ago....

edit: real talk though, if the clips wanted him to stay that badly then why didn't they do this earlier? they only had all the time in the world.

oof. As much as I don't like someone backing out of an agreed deal, can't really argue with that.

How could he have not seen this coming though? It doesn't take a genius to realize that playing with a 45 year old Dirk and an achilles-less Wes Matthews may have not been the best long-term basketball decision.

CJa5gWkUcAEINdV.png:large

Fjordson

How could he have not seen this coming though? It doesn't take a genius to realize that playing with a 45 year old Dirk and an achilles-less Wes Matthews may have not been the best long-term basketball decision.
Yeah, that's why it still feels scummy all around. to me. What's changed on the Mavs side in DeAndre's head and what's changed in Doc and co.'s heads. Why did they wait until now to try and seriously recruit him?

Maybe part of Chandler's recruitment was getting DJ hammered. Dude woke up the next morning and didn't even remember an agreement.

holy fuck. Galaxy destroying ether. And so ended the Great Emoji War of 2015.

So if I make that game of thrones gif that I talked about earlier would I get banned if I posted it?

I mean it did happen quite a while ago....

edit: real talk though, if the clips wanted him to stay that badly then why didn't they do this earlier? they only had all the time in the world.

breh don't :( I've seen that scene once and that will be the first and last time I will lay eyes on it. Robb stark was my boy
sadbron.png

CJa5gWkUcAEINdV.png:large

The whole sales pitch though was him being a center piece and having his own team and not playing third fiddle.

dream

Yeah, that's why it still feels scummy all around. to me. What's changed on the Mavs side in DeAndre's head and what's changed in Doc and co.'s heads. Why did they wait until now to try and seriously recruit him?

Well, DJ's agent is in Mark Cuban's pocket.

bender

What time is it?
what can a contender offer that could beat picks

it's cubes making the decision, not dirk.

No trade clause.

A playoff berth is something.

Not really. He wants to contend for titles which is what makes this situation sad. The loyalty is admirable but it's really done him a disservice since he won the title.

If he stays with the clips get tyson back on the phone cubes. After all verbal agreements don't mean anything
troll.png

Tyson might love Dirk but the front office has treated him poorly. He's probably laughing at them right about now.

Enron

Banned
This is the worst day ever. Why don't people want to play in Dallas? I can't figure it out. Mark Cuban has tried to throw money at people for years and no one wants to take it.

dso7Wq5.jpg

I don't buy the whole story about DJ's agent pushing him towards the mavs. Sports agents typically make what, 5% off a contract? I don't see any agent pushing a player towards a contract that would earn him 600k less. That's a huge chunk of change........

This is the worst day ever. Why don't people want to play in Dallas? I can't figure it out. Mark Cuban has tried to throw money at people for years and no one wants to take it.

As it turns out basketball players would rather stay with their old teams and make a lot more money.

I don't buy the whole story about DJ's agent pushing him towards the mavs. Sports agents typically make what, 5% off a contract? I don't see any agent pushing a player towards a contract that would earn him 600k less. That's a huge chunk of change........

Supposedly his agent has a close relationship with Cuban. The agent would've probably made back that money and then some through other Cuban related deals.

Enron

Banned

Yeah. The more I think about this, the more I think this whole thing was planned from the beginning. Nothing about it makes much sense.

bender

What time is it?

Tough conference, poor drafting/player development and their once-in-a-lifetime talent is on his last legs. There were also grumblings of how players were treated once the title team was blown up.

dream

Mark Cuban probably gave him some kickbacks, the way he did when Dirk took a "pay cut."

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This DA thing - what the fuck. I don't care for either team, so it doesn't matter to me. But when you give you word, you should keep it. I suppose it's always a risk that someone will change their mind. It just doesn't happen very often.

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 10m10 minutes ago
Kobe Bryant retweeted Jemele Hill
Ah ok .. I see .. 🔓🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🔒💤 #mambaout

zychi

Banned
Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 10m10 minutes ago
Kobe Bryant retweeted Jemele Hill
Ah ok .. I see .. 🔓🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🔒💤 #mambaout
Who is Kobe Bryant and who is Jemele Hill? Is Kobe that guy being paid a ton of money to sit at home and pretend he's still great?

Damn I thought this was a done deal?!

Holy shit, NBA free agency is crazy.

Honestly, as a mavs fan, tanking is probably going to get us a championship faster than Deandre Jordan. Not that I wouldn't mind us making the playoffs and being at least competitive, but we ain't winning the West with this lineup.

Gigglepoo

"I'm told DeAndre's meeting with LAC just ended" - @Chris_Broussard

It probably just started.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m1 minute ago
The Clippers meeting with DeAndre Jordan is underway in Houston, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

EDIT -- Darn it, Cassidy! Whatever, it's funny enough to post it twice.

zychi

Banned
He's the guy you haven't been able to stop talking about for years.
He's the guy trying to fix is public perception so he can get a career in broadcasting after he raped a woman, running teammates out of town, throwing fits on the court, going 6/24 when it mattered most, and now everyone would rather play with the Clippers instead of be on his team?

Or is he the guy that Laker fans pretend is better than he actually was?

He's the guy trying to fix is public perception so he can get a career in broadcasting after he raped a woman, running teammates out of town, throwing fits on the court, going 6/24 when it mattered most, and now everyone would rather play with the Clippers instead of be on his team?

Or is he the guy that Laker fans pretend is better than he actually was?

So you do know who he is?

Winslow's jumper is broken.

At Duke, he shot better than 40% from the 3. Somewhere around 20% on jumpers inside the arc. It's just weird.

He can work on it, though. His form isn't terrible. He caught grief for shooting in the 60s for FT, which they say is a barometer for shooting overall, but in reality, his shooting percentages dropped to the floor in January when he broke his ribs, and were looking pretty good in late February and into March as he got better. (He ended up shooting > 50% from the 3 during the tournament, for example). I'd say 75% FT is probably where his true average would be, which can be improved upon.

PBY

Banned
At Duke, he shot better than 40% from the 3. Somewhere around 20% on jumpers inside the arc. It's just weird.

He can work on it, though. His form isn't terrible. He caught grief for shooting in the 60s for FT, which they say is a barometer for shooting overall, but in reality, his shooting percentages dropped to the floor in January when he broke his ribs, and were looking pretty good in late February and into March as he got better. (He ended up shooting > 50% from the 3 during the tournament, for example). I'd say 75% FT is probably where his true average would be, which can be improved upon.

Not that weird - if you read about how statisticians project shooting, FT shooting is a good indicator of shooting in the NBA. Not saying he can't improve, but also raw college #s not always the best indicators.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/05/25/projecting-draft-prospects-three-point-percentages/

NBA players have been tweeting emojis with different modes of transportation and this conversation is the stupidest thing I've read all day.

Not that weird - if you read about how statisticians project shooting, FT shooting is a good indicator of shooting in the NBA. Not saying he can't improve, but also raw college #s not always the best indicators.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/05/25/projecting-draft-prospects-three-point-percentages/

I don't call the projection weird, just the variance between 3pt FG and 2pt jumper percentage. I find it odd, though maybe it's not. Chad Ford was killing him all year about his 2pt jumper, particularly when it was in the low teens earlier in the season.

zychi

Banned
other than black athletes I don't see much in common. Sounds sorta racist.

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.
I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

Not a race thing. Just an egomaniac who got away with raping a woman and basically admitting he did it, but nothing of consequence occurred after the fact.

Top Bottom