• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

I hope DeAndre Jordan purchases a page out of the Dallas newspaper and pens a "thank you/goodbye" letter to the Dallas fans and organization.

He's in that house sitting at the typewriter with CP3 hovering over his shoulder:

DJ-"Dear Los Angeles, I'm coming hoam."

CP-"That's H-O-M-E you big dummy!"

DJ-"Aw Gee sorry Chris. High five?"

CP-"Well, okay. I guess you deserve it."

DJ-"Yay, friends forever!"

Agreed 100%. Just saying not sure what the hell the league could actually fine the Clippers for. League is definitely going to have to address this, the current moratorium obviously doesn't work.

Pretty much, read an interesting article on mavs moneyball about this. Verbal agreements during moratorium are pretty stupid since they pretty much contradict the CBA entirely. Players should not be allowed to make such agreements in the first place before the moratorium is over.

Subject to Section 14 below, any oral or written agreement between a player and a Team concerning terms and conditions of employment shall be reduced to writing in the form of a Uniform Player Contract or an amendment thereto as soon as practicable. Immediately upon the consummation of any such oral or written agreement, the Team shall notify the NBA by facsimile or e-mail and provide the NBA with all economic terms of such agreement.

It says right in the CBA that oral agreements are required to have a contract. But hence it contradicts the whole moratorium.

Except as permitted in the next sentence, notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, no player and Team may enter into any oral or written agreement concerning terms and conditions of the player's employment, or reduce any such agreement to writing in the form of a Uniform Player Contract or amendment, during the Moratorium Period. The following shall be permitted during the Moratorium Period: (i) a player may accept any Required Tender, Qualifying Offer, or "Maximum Qualifying Offer" (as defined in Article XI, Section 4(a)(ii)) that is outstanding; (ii) a player and a Team may negotiate over the terms and conditions of a Player Contract or Offer Sheet that may be entered into following the conclusion of the Moratorium Period; (iii) a First Round Pick and the Team that holds his draft rights may enter into a Rookie Scale Contract; and (iv) a player and a Team may enter into a Player Contract, not to exceed two (2) Seasons in length, that provides for a Salary for each Salary Cap Year equal to the Minimum Player Salary applicable to the player (with no bonuses of any kind)

Unfortunately the moratorium makes oral agreements null in void. So it's basically an issue of verbal agreements existing at all during the moratorium period. THAT is the major problem.

edit: link to the article http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2015/7/8/8916763/deandre-jordan-legal-lawyer-dallas-mavericks-los-angeles-clippers

MxiFCX0.gif

lololol. Oh internet, you never fail me.

Doc ain't sleeping tonight till this shit gets done!

coach.gif

yessss

jmizzal

I hope DeAndre Jordan is man enough to talk to Mark Cuban face to face before he signs back with the Clips

I think the whole point of the moratorium signing period is to give the league accountants time to figure this stuff out

Thats not the reason for it, they just dont want teams and players to talk before July first so guys wont be signing right at midnight, the moratorium period is way too long it should be 3 days not a week

Why does Cuban even want to meet with him? To try and "re-convince" him to sign with Dallas? If it's gotten to this point Mark should just tell DJ to fuck off and move on.

Why does Cuban even want to meet with him? To try and "re-convince" him to sign with Dallas? If it's gotten to this point Mark should just tell DJ to fuck off and move on.

He'll have plenty of time to tell him to fuck off once he actually signs with the Clippers. He doesn't have to degrade himself classlessly like the Clips but he should still let him know (if that's even possible) that he wants him on the team.

Oh good, so you've only known 7 years of misery. I envy you.

Bulldogs pretty much got me into sports period. Seriously. It was when they were ranked number one but ended up losing three games in the season. But despite them losing every year I've never been able to stop watching them every year. Not from there, though, which means I do my best to NOT be one of those obnoxious Alabama/Tiger/whatever SEC Team is popular side walk fans.

I'll probably move to Athens sometime in my life, I've always wanted to move there. We have a ton of those types of folks when ti comes to both Arizona State and The Wildcats sports. Basketball is huge in Tucson
(Because Tucson sucks and there's nothing else to do there)

"Speculation rising amongst NBA executives that Pacers will approach Mavs about a Roy Hibbert trade if DeAndre Jordan opts to re-sign w/ LAC." - @JakeLFischer

FUCK THIS SHIT.

"Speculation rising amongst NBA executives that Pacers will approach Mavs about a Roy Hibbert trade if DeAndre Jordan opts to re-sign w/ LAC." - @JakeLFischer

ANARCHY!

lol.

It's funny because Zach Lowe wondered aloud during his last podcast if the Kings could just back out of their terrible deal with Philly after all the backlash they got, and he and his guest both agreed it would never happen because it would destroy their rep as a front office around the league. It'd be hilarious if this entire offseason unraveled and nobody trusted anybody anymore.

Because without DJ, the mavs are fucked for the next several seasons. That's why.

They are like, a 6th seed at best even with him though. They're fucked either way. I just figured Mark's pride and ego wouldn't allow him to engage in this kind of fuckery. If DJ is gonna be this wishy washy then let him go. It's clear he doesn't want to leave LA if he can be made to change his mind so easily.

jmizzal

Wow this is kinda embarrassing to the league. Wont surprise me if they fine the clippers hard for this. I mean, whats gonna stop teams from trying to screw other teams in the future by doing this. Mav's are screwed.

Yea I dont like it, you dont see teams still bothering Aldridge right now, he only agreed with the Spurs nobody is still pestering him

dream

Yea I dont like it, you dont see teams still bothering Aldridge right now, he only agreed with the Spurs nobody is still pestering him

But if Aldridge reached out to, I dunno, Mitch Kupchek and said, "yeah, I've been thinking..." do you really think Mitch would be like "nope, sorry, you verbally committed to San Antonio and I respect that?"

bender

What time is it?

I'm with you but how much do these free agent failures hurt future recruiting efforts?

But they can if they wanted to. It'd probably be a waste of time but if they wanted to they could. There is no pen to paper saying that LMA belongs to the Spurs, not yet. And the league fining a team over it would be ridiculous. They'd have no grounds to issue such a fine. These guys are still FREE agents, a verbal agreement doesn't change that.

"I'm told that DeAndre Jordan won't even take a phone call from Mark Cuban or Chandler Parsons." - @ESPN_McMahon

I thought him and Parsons were buds. This is cold.

Daezuel

They are like, a 6th seed at best even with him though. They're fucked either way. I just figured Mark's pride and ego wouldn't allow him to engage in this kind of fuckery. If DJ is gonna be this wishy washy then let him go. It's clear he doesn't want to leave LA if he can be made to change his mind so easily.

Yeah but with DJ in the fold they'd be an attractive FA destination, now they're basically the Lakers without the young talent.

Champagne

Banned
Because Portland actually has some managerial/organizational brain and class and isn't really a little league team masquerading as a professional basketball organization for a couple of decades.

BREAKING: Damien Lillard has flown to San Antonio in a last ditch effort to get LaMarcus Aldridge to re-sign with the Portland Trailblazers. Reports are coming in that Lillard has signed with the Spurs for the vet minimum.

Because Portland actually has some managerial/organizational brain and class and isn't really a little league team masquerading as a professional basketball organization for a couple of decades.

Apparently Jordan reached out to Doc to express doubt in his decision. If LMA went to Portland's front office in the same way they'd be all over his nuts, don't get it twisted. Class? LOL.

dream

"I'm told that DeAndre Jordan won't even take a phone call from Mark Cuban or Chandler Parsons." - @ESPN_McMahon

No man, he got his bae back. Fuck his rebound chick.

Star guard Chris Paul -- after cutting short his Caribbean vacation with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade -- new recruit Paul Pierce and veteran guard J.J. Redick were among the Clippers players to join that meeting, sources said.

Paul was emotional during the meeting, a source in the room told ESPN's Chris Broussard. Paul told Jordan he had no idea he felt negatively about him and that he thought they were "brothers.'' Paul said he'd work to get Jordan more involved in the offense and that the Clippers couldn't move forward without him.

lmao I picture Mark blowing up DJ's phone and eventually Doc answers. "He can't come to the phone right now, he's with his family!"

Top Bottom