• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

Champagne

Banned
Apparently Jordan reached out to Doc to express doubt in his decision. If LMA went to Portland's front office in the same way they'd be all over his nuts, don't get it twisted. Class? LOL.
Do I think they would try and get him back if that were the case?

Absolutely.

Do I think they would barricade his house until midnight to prevent him from talking to Pop and the Spurs before he resigns with them?

No.

That's a Clippers move by the books.

You never go full Clippers.

"Believe it or not, DeAndre isn't at home, please leave a message at the beep. I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not home!"

Do I think they would try and get him back if that were the case?

Absolutely.

Do I think they would barricade his house until midnight to prevent him from talking to Pop and the Spurs before he resigns with them?

No.

That's a Clippers move by the books.

You never go full Clippers.

Wouldn't surprise me if they acted the same way. A lot of these coaches and front office guys jobs rely on big free agent signings. These guys can get desperate.

jmizzal

But they can if they wanted to. It'd probably be a waste of time but if they wanted to they could. There is no pen to paper saying that LMA belongs to the Spurs, not yet. And the league fining a team over it would be ridiculous. They'd have no grounds to issue such a fine. These guys are still FREE agents, a verbal agreement doesn't change that.

I didnt say they should be fined, just I dont like this kinda stuff, Clips had their chance to recruit Jordan back and nobody showed up but Doc and the owner, CP3 was too busy riding on boats with LeBron, Melo and Wade, now they wanna act like they love the man.

CJb0BKiWgAAQivG.jpg

bender

What time is it?
I don't really blame the Clippers. Jordan should be man enough to voice his change of heart with the Mavs.

I didnt say they should be fined, just I dont like this kinda stuff, Clips had their chance to recruit Jordan back and nobody showed up but Doc and the owner, CP3 was too busy riding on boats with LeBron, Melo and Wade, now they wanna act like they love the man.

But again, DJ is still a FREE agent, so until he signs on the bottom line they can take as many "chances" to recruit him as they want. That's just the reality of the situation. The fact that DJ is so receptive to this new recruitment says it all. He could have squashed all of this if he really weren't waffling on signing. This is all on DJ. He should have never agreed to the Mavs if he wasn't 100% sure. I don't blame Doc for jumping at the chance to talk him back to LA.

Apparently Jordan reached out to Doc to express doubt in his decision. If LMA went to Portland's front office in the same way they'd be all over his nuts, don't get it twisted. Class? LOL.

Exactly. This says more about DJ, his agent, and possibly the Mavs than it does about the Clippers. If it was something like "Good luck DJ, we hope you enjoy it there." "Yeah I guess I will." "You guess? You're having second thoughts? Wait right there!" Then yeah the Clippers are sleazy and desperate. It sounds more like "Yeah Doc I don't even know what happened. I felt like I got bum rushed through this deal and I don't even know how I got here" then of course you're going to try to get him back.

bender

What time is it?
Clippers are gunna be the villain team of the west in the majority public's opinion

Already were. This is just another log on the fire.

Exactly. This says more about DJ, his agent, and possibly the Mavs than it does about the Clippers. If it was something like "Good luck DJ, we hope you enjoy it there." "Yeah I guess I will." "You guess? You're having second thoughts? Wait right there!" Then yeah the Clippers are sleazy and desperate. It sounds more like "Yeah Doc I don't even know what happened. I felt like I got bum rushed through this deal and I don't even know how I got here" then of course you're going to try to get him back.

Sounds like his agent isn't involved.

Hydrus

The Clippers aren't doing anything wrong. You can't fine someone for breaking "unwritten rules". And you are kidding yourself if the NBA isn't loving this drama. It's the middle of July and we are still talking about the league. And on top of that they get to advertise some Dallas/Clipper matchups during the regular season. It's all gravy.

I know technically clips aren't doing anything wrong, but there is going to have to be some kind of punishment for this kind of move. This is now basically a loop hole and teams are going to take advantage of it. Just look at what the pacers are trying to do now. Making deals then backing out last minute is going to hurt teams.
Wont surprise me if owners and GM's start complaining, then the commissioner comes out and says " clippers fined for basketball reasons" to try and save face, just like the chris paul deal

Already were. This is just another log on the fire.

His agent was involved in pushing him to sign with the Mavs because he's buddies with Cuban, supposedly also telling the Clippers they needed to trade CP3 if they wanted any shot at getting DJ back (who knew if Jordan even made that demand himself, or if it was just more FUD from his agent to ensure he signs with Dallas) . The fact that his agent is not involved in this current talks says a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if he's got one less client after tonight.

I know technically clips aren't doing anything wrong, but there is going to have to be some kind of punishment for this kind of move. This is now basically a loop hole and teams are going to take advantage of it. Just look at what the pacers are trying to do now. Making deals then backing out last minute is going to hurt teams.
Wont surprise me if owners and GM's start complaining, then the commissioner comes out and says " clippers fined for basketball reasons" to try and save face, just like the chris paul deal

You can't fine someone for doing nothing wrong. This might change the rules regarding moratorium periods going forward, but really the only thing that was keeping this from happening in the past was some unspoken agreement between the teams. There is nothing concrete you can create some kind of punishment out of.

bender

What time is it?

I can see free agency rules being changed but the Clippers don't deserve a fine.

dream

Well, DJ's agent is in Mark Cuban's pocket, and Ramona Shelburne reports that DJ wanted to mull the decision over but was rushed into making a decision. It sounds more like a situation where DJ realized he was being played and reached out to the people who really cared for him.

Well, DJ's agent is in Mark Cuban's pocket, and Ramona Shelburne reports that DJ wanted to mull the decision over but was rushed into making a decision. It sounds more like a situation where DJ realized he was being played and reached out to the people who really cared for him.

Or it could be that theory that Blake Griffin picked up tips from a drunk Mark Cuban. Who the fuck knows.

You can't fine someone for doing nothing wrong. This might change the rules regarding moratorium periods going forward, but really the only thing that was keeping this from happening in the past was some unspoken agreement between the teams. There is nothing concrete you can create some kind of punishment out of.

If Roger Goodell has taught me anything, yes you can, lol

Enron

Banned

Then why did he wait 5 days until the last possible minute? There was only ever one goal here, and that was to wreck the Mavericks' offseason. Clips get their man, and cripple a western conference rival for years in the process.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
His agent was involved in pushing him to sign with the Mavs because he's buddies with Cuban, supposedly also telling the Clippers they needed to trade CP3 if they wanted any shot at getting DJ back (who knew if Jordan even made that demand himself, or if it was just more FUD from his agent to ensure he signs with Dallas) . The fact that his agent is not involved in this current talks says a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if he's got one less client after tonight.

Yeah not sure what they can do. No way they get rid of the moratorium after all this, they're getting a ridiculous amount of attention and now get the "yes he agreed but could he pull out?" every year now.

Maybe if anything they might shorten the timeframe?

dream

Then why did he wait 5 days until the last possible minute? There was only ever one goal here, and that was to wreck the Mavericks' offseason. Clips get their man, and cripple a western conference rival for years in the process.

Hey man, everyone has their moment of clarity at different times.

I don't think even Roger has fined someone for breaking a rule that didn't exist. This is completely different from the "Basketball Reasons" debacle too.

He fined the Cowboys and Redskins for not adhering to an illegal, collusion enforced cap during a cap free year when they were coming up with a new collective bargaining agreement.

Yeah not sure what they can do. No way they get rid of the moratorium after all this, they're getting a ridiculous amount of attention and now get the "yes he agreed but could he pull out?" every year now.

Maybe if anything they might shorten the timeframe?

Yeah I have to believe the moratorium exists for a reason. The league has to approve these deals and they probably don't want teams pressuring to get guys to sign contracts at 12:01AM when free agency. Plus the entire free agency period gets them a ton of publicity. To be honest I don't think the NBA will change a thing. As crazy as this entire circus has been, it seems like a one-off thing. 99.999% of the time guys agree to sign, they mean it, and it's not an issue. You don't change the rules over an outlier.

jmizzal

How was DJ being played? Mavs were giving him 80 mil, hes a grown man if he didnt want it he could have not taken it, instead of dragging things in the last hours

Enron

Banned
Yeah I have to believe the moratorium exists for a reason. The league has to approve these deals and they probably don't want teams pressuring to get guys to sign contracts at 12:01AM when free agency. Plus the entire free agency period gets them a ton of publicity. To be honest I don't think the NBA will change a thing. As crazy as this entire circus has been, it seems like a one-off thing. 99.999% of the time guys agree to sign, they mean it, and it's not an issue. You don't change the rules over an outlier.

No, but you might change the rule when tonight's incident completely changes the way franchises act during the moratorium period, which it will.

dream

Lucas Hann has a fascinating article on ClipsNation right now. Among the highlights:

I haven't released this yet because I can't guarantee that it's true, but I received a tip last weekend that Fegan had promised Cuban that he would deliver DJ before the season even ended. I can't guarantee that this tip was valid but the Clippers were rumored to be trying to get the Mavericks on tampering charges, and it certainly seems more likely in the aftermath of today's events.

Isn't it obvious what happened here? DeAndre didn't just buy all of Mark Cuban's promises all along; he had his trusted advisor and agent in his ear every step of the way, blowing a minuscule high-5 "beef" with Chris Paul out of proportion and pushing Jordan towards the Mavericks.

Even DJ's own family, the people who care about him most and are closest to him, saw the manipulation that was taking place and were so determined to help him break out of Fegan's control that they actually placed calls to his former teammates asking them to help convince DeAndre to return.

Top Bottom