• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

i feel so bad for Lin

passed around like an unwanted puppy.

by the time he finishes his career, he's going to have donned every team jersey.

As a Spurs fan I strongly dislike Cuban and the Mavs, but this is beyond classless from Jordan and the Clippers. Now Dallas probably has to reboot their team because of this fucking man child that lied to them. Disgusting.

Their trade for Rondo already set them down this path.

I can definitely see Cuban voicing a strong opinion on changing how free agency works after this. Personally, I think verbal agreements are stupid. Especially when there's that much money on the table that you could be spending elsewhere when something like this happens. Of course, verbal agreements really depends on how professional the player is but yeah. It's just stupid lol.

FTF

I can definitely see Cuban voicing a strong opinion on changing how free agency works after this. Personally, I think verbal agreements are stupid. Especially when there's that much money on the table that you could be spending elsewhere when something like this happens. Of course, verbal agreements really depends on how professional the player is but yeah. It's just stupid lol.

Yup...also, is signing a post dated contract that has July 9th allowed? I assume not as all teams would do that though.

Yup...also, is signing a post dated contract that has July 9th allowed? I assume not as all teams would do that though.

players/agents would probably just not do that. They have most of the leverage during FA, not the owners or teams. There really isn't a solution to what is happening tonight. You will never be able to stop a player from waffling like this.

How ? A verbal agreement has no standing. Plus the league needs to set the cap first.

But if Aldridge reached out to, I dunno, Mitch Kupchek and said, "yeah, I've been thinking..." do you really think Mitch would be like "nope, sorry, you verbally committed to San Antonio and I respect that?"

Well yeah, sort of. It feels like an unwritten rule between GMs has been broken.

The fact people are reporting DJ ain't talking to his agent are also very troubling.

Lastly, one would think the players union would also be upset with DJ because other lesser talented lesser salary players missed out on the Dallas cap space that they were holding for DJ.

Maybe now Dallas makes a play for guys like Biyombo ($6 mil over 2 years,for example, from the raptors).

Enron

Banned
Well yeah, sort of. It feels like an unwritten rule between GMs has been broken.

The fact people are reporting DJ ain't talking to his agent are also very troubling.

Lastly, one would think the players union would also be upset with DJ because other lesser talented lesser salary players missed out on the Dallas cap space that they were holding for DJ.

Maybe now Dallas makes a play for guys like Biyombo ($6 mil over 2 years,for example, from the raptors).

The players union's sole purpose is to get the players the most money possible. They will be a-ok with this.

I'm kind of pissed about this, but it's alright. I think I'll just become a Warriors fan now.

Can't wait til the playoffs next year when they go ham on the clips. I bet they wanted to matchup with them this year in the playoffs for revenge but Houston effed that up for them.

All this drama just so they can get their ass kicked by the Spurs next year.

Nah, Rockets can take care of this. We'll try to humiliate them as much as possible.

Seriously, the Clippers@Dallas next season will be hilarious.

DJ better practice his free throws, he's about to shoot more than in the entire Clippers-Rockets series +last regular season this year, I can see it

If only the offseasons for the other sports were this entertaining. Though if this were happening with my team, I wouldn't be amused one bit.

How ? A verbal agreement has no standing. Plus the league needs to set the cap first.

I don't know how but it totally sucks for fans and teams to get excited for a player they think is coming to their team, not be able to make any more moves because X amount of money is tied to signing said player while other free agents get snatched up, and then BAM.

#sorrynotsorry

I understand that the players have the control but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. If I were a business owner, I would totally be pissed if this happened to me.

I posted earlier but technically a team and a player aren't even allowed to have a verbal agreement during moratorium. A verbal agreement under any other circumstance is followed by a written contract.

The problem is allowing verbal agreements to exist at all during moratorium. It's really Silver's fault for letting that slide in the first place.

He'll argue for a much shorter time between free agency starting and when contracts can be signed.

Yeah, the argument on talk radio (and from Camp Cuban) will likely be having the league establishing the cap sooner, reducing the time of a signing moratorium.

As some of you guys have already said, I don't think the Players' Association will go for it. The prime time FAs have everything to gain from situations like this, being able to dictate the destinies of teams a bit, even though it sorta hurts some of these lesser-paid FAs who get turned away. It really impedes the team building process...but that's not what the PA is really looking for. It's all about the power, the money.

jmizzal

I posted earlier but technically a team and a player aren't even allowed to have a verbal agreement during moratorium. A verbal agreement under any other circumstance is followed by a written contract.

The problem is allowing verbal agreements to exist at all during moratorium. It's really Silver's fault for letting that slide in the first place.

Yea NFL you can only discuss a ball park figure and whats the players worth and I dont even think the players can even talk to the teams during their moratorium. Then 12 am you can sign.

That at least prevents this kinda stuff, like has been said it hurts teams holding a spot for a player and lose out on other players, 7 days is way too long.

That probably wouldn't have prevented this though. DeAndre would have gotten cold feet as soon as a pen and paper were presented. This happened tonight because contracts can be signed tomorrow.

What do you think would happen if say contracts could be signed 3 days earlier and DeAndre's in a room with his agent, Cuban, a few other Dallas executives, and a contract in front of him, with no Clippers in site. You think he'd still back out right then and there? Not saying he wouldn't have second thoughts now, but you think he could look Cuban in the eye and say no?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
What do you think would happen if say contracts could be signed 3 days earlier and DeAndre's in a room with his agent, Cuban, a few other Dallas executives, and a contract in front of him, with no Clippers in site. You think he'd still back out right then and there? Not saying he wouldn't have second thoughts now, but you think he could look Cuban in the eye and say no?

On the day before he could officially sign we'd be getting this all over again.

Why are teams allowed to talk to free agents at all during the moratorium? It seems that something like this was inevitable.

That's what will have to be answered for, at some point, now that this issue has been brought to the front page (literally).

Again, there's going to be a fight to have the league establish these cap numbers earlier - to prevent a moratorium from taking place at all. So, July 1, all is fair game. If Dallas can't get DeAndre, they max someone else out perhaps. Maybe Cuban offers RoLo a little more dough than he got in NY. Or, perhaps Biyombo gets offered more than Toronto offered. Who knows.

The marquee FA controlled the team's destiny, and it'll continue to work that way. That's a lot of power for the players to concede.

Tom Penny

LL

This. There really shouldn't allow verbal agreements to happen, like in the NFL. Granted, teams and players will find ways around it if they are so inclined, but it should reduce the severity if situations like these.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...or-the-deandre-jordan-blockade-025429242.html

This is a legendary offseason. Getting near "the Descision" levels"

I'm dying over here

Not gonna lie, I'd prefer DJ at the last minute, when Fegan is coming to his house at midnight with Clippers players around him, to sign with the Mavs. All the Texas teams are on my list of teams to root for, despite the rivalries (root for Rockets, then Spurs, then Mavericks). Just a Texas thing for me. On top of that, I don't like the precedent this sets. What if the owners decide to do this to players?

Besides, having the Chris Paul era Clippers end with the choke to the Rockets would be absolutely glorious

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This. There really shouldn't allow verbal agreements to happen, like in the NFL. Granted, teams and players will find ways around it if they are so inclined, but it should reduce the severity if situations like these.

In the NFL they still agree on the contract just like they are in the NBA.

It's technically the media who are reporting players agreeing to deals the teams themselves never actually say a thing as they can't by the rules.

I don't think it would have gotten to that point, just like it didn't now. I think the night before he was set to sign that contract and be in that room with Cuban and his agent he would have been calling Doc crying about what a mistake he was making. The answer to this issue isn't "If this had happened sooner maybe Cuban and DJ's agent could have pressured him into making a mistake". DJ fucked up, but the end result is he's making the decision that is really best for him then good for him. Would the Mavs really want a guy who doesn't really want to be there anyway?

Enron

Banned
Would the Mavs really want a guy who doesn't really want to be there anyway?

When the alternative is waiting for 5 days, watching everyone else sign elsewhere, and you end up starting a 3rd stringer or some dude who should be in D-League at C? Yes, you'd take the guy that doesn't want to be there but at least can play.

When the alternative is waiting for 5 days, watching everyone else sign elsewhere, and you end up starting a 3rd stringer or some dude who should be in D-League at C? Yes, you'd take the guy that doesn't want to be there but at least can play.

I think they learned their lesson with Lamar Odom on that front.

In the NFL they still agree on the contract just like they are in the NBA.

It's technically the media who are reporting players agreeing to deals the teams themselves never actually say a thing as they can't by the rules.

That's sort of my point, if you make it more stringent with regards to verbal agreements, I think you generally reduce the medias reporting of players agreeing to deals long before they can happen. Like I said, some players and teams will still agree in advance, but in the NFL it's generally accepted that things are up in the air until moratorium ends, unlike the NBA where expectations for signings happen well in advance.

bender

What time is it?
I don't think it would have gotten to that point, just like it didn't now. I think the night before he was set to sign that contract and be in that room with Cuban and his agent he would have been calling Doc crying about what a mistake he was making. The answer to this issue isn't "If this had happened sooner maybe Cuban and DJ's agent could have pressured him into making a mistake". DJ fucked up, but the end result is he's making the decision that is really best for him then good for him. Would the Mavs really want a guy who doesn't really want to be there anyway?

Even though I don't think he did this maliciously, add sabotaging the off-season of a conference rival as part of the end result.

I was in the middle of writing a whole monologue of how DJ and his agent went down but then I just felt like I was just insulting his intelligence lol so I will refrain from doing so since I'm not a Mavs fan or Clippers fan.

dream

Has DJ signed yet? Both Ramona and Woj are using the word "commitment," but we all know what DJ's commitment is worth...

bender

What time is it?
Has DJ signed yet? Both Ramona and Woj are using the word "commitment," but we all know what DJ's commitment is worth...

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2h2 hours ago

ESPN sources say Mavs owner Mark Cuban has begun to notify people within the organization that DeAndre Jordan is staying with Clippers

Werd

If he really hasn't spoken to Cuban since Tuesday that's pretty low. Really hope Cuban shows up on the radio tomorrow, that would be entertaining.

Top Bottom