• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

First off lets not disrespect 12 year old girls alright and second he stills owes Dallas nothing at all. The NBA needs to change the rules. You have no clue how any of this happened or why but you question his manhood because your a hurt sports fan. If he's on the Mavs they love him, he's not on the mavs he's a coward.

Nah, he should've talked to Cuban and the Mavs. Refusing to talk to them IS cowardly.
Not a Mavs fan btw

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
LeBron, Tristan,
Delly

Thanks for the spoiler tags.

Lmfao, "We got roasted by Deandre Jordan but WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH WE GOT WES MATTHEWS!!!!!!!! THE CHAMPIONSHIP RUN IS ON!!!!!!! PLEASE BE EXCITED!!!"

You really took this from that statement? Seriously?

Anyway, DA is a bum and it only makes sense that he joins the bum Clips and that bum CP3. I will enjoy watching the Spurs sweep them next season.

If it makes the Mavs fans feel better, I still remember the league screwing us out of Juwan Howard back in the 90s. thanks to a series of events that followed, it opened us up to acquiring Shaq a few years later. Shaq was a big part of us winning our first ring against the Mavericks in 2006

oh wait

Mxrz

You can't write better stuff.

It will be interesting to see if people and the talking heads turn on DeAndre like they did with Dwight and LeBron. What he has done is far worse in about every regard. But then he is a career 8/8 guy. Which makes everything funnier.

The League rules are weird about this stuff, but wouldn't be surprised to see Cuban file some sort of complaint. About all the league could do is drop some fines, but still.

This has been so damn entertaining. Summing up my winners/losers from this circus show:

Winners:
- LA Clippers: Sure, they came off completely unprofessional and downright goofy, but they got their guy back. With DJ, they're a legit contender again, and not to mention solid pick-ups of Pierce and Stephenson. Besides, they've always been seen as a joke anyway...might as well embrace it, I suppose.

- Dallas Mavericks: Let's be honest here...DJ wasn't going to make them contenders and he's not even a player to build around for the future. Sucks for Nowitzki, but it's better for the Mavs in the long run to start the rebuilding process now and not spend another year lying to themselves with an early round exit.

- Doc and CP3: Doc may have just saved his career as GM for another year, and CP3 gets another shot at the trophy as his end of the tunnel approaches. They'll have to live down the fact they had to go beg a man-child to come back and save them, but still worth it for a title.

Losers:
- DeAndre Jordan: Dallas probably would've been the better career move. He'd actually get an opportunity to develop his offensive game outside of finishing off lobs and try his hand at being "the guy" (even if it never pans out). Clips are full of promises now, but really, does anyone believe they're gonna take touches away from Blake and CP3 and the rest of a high-powered offense to let DJ awkwardly find his game? He picked up more money staying in LA, but he could've gotten a fat paycheck with Dallas anyway, especially with the cap increase. He kinda hurt his brand as well by coming off as a giant child.

- Steve Ballmer: Maybe? Not sure how his antics will be received by other owners in the NBA. Any chance it hurts potential trade opportunities in the future? I guess it's a risk worth taking if this turns your team from pretenders to contenders. I can't help but like the guy though...he seems to be just having so much fun and enjoying being stupid rich.

- Mark Cuban: I really like Cuban...he's unabashedly a fan of his own team and loves to run his mouth. Unfortunately, that came back to bite him as he'll have some damage control to do for his tanking comments before DJ did his turnabout.

Mxrz

He said that he'd talk to Cuban/mavs last, and is ignoring their phone calls/texts presumably because he's too scared.

That's a bit bitchmade

Its more than a bit.

Winners:
- LA Clippers: Sure, they came off completely unprofessional and downright goofy, but they got their guy back. With DJ, they're a legit contender again, and not to mention solid pick-ups of Pierce and Stephenson. Besides, they've always been seen as a joke anyway...might as well embrace it, I suppose.
Do you reeeeeally see them beating the Spurs? OKC, Memphis? The warriors? There's only two, maybe three contenders in the West depending on Durant's health. This near exact team got bodied by the Rockets.

Bread

Banned
- Dallas Mavericks: Let's be honest here...DJ wasn't going to make them contenders and he's not even a player to build around for the future. Sucks for Nowitzki, but it's better for the Mavs in the long run to start the rebuilding process now and not spend another year lying to themselves with an early round exit.
yeah man the mavs are so lucky they didn't get a top 5 center. what a win for them!

Man, if option 2 happens and they snag a semi-big player, this off-season will officially be perfect

As much as I hope that happens I don't think there are many other big name players that would do what DeAndre did.

A 26 year old center that's as good as DeAndre isn't a player to build around?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
As much as I hope that happens I don't think there are many other big name players that would do what DeAndre did.

It's a guard dominated league, so, no, I would say not, especially since DJ sucks on offense. It's not like we are talking about Boogie or Davis, here.

RedAssedApe

Banned
ZasGeva.png

Ll112jZ.png

lol

lol...this dj thing has been a gold mine

I don't doubt it's possible, but seems kinda weird building around a center who is, at best, a third scoring option. When you take into account his FT shooting, he's even a liability on offense at times. His game is centered around finishing lobs, and unless you have a system to accommodate that, it might be tough. If he can improve that aspect (which Dallas might've actually given him the opportunity to), I'd say he's a franchise guy (ala Anthony Davis) without reservation.

rinse82

Wow, DeAndre is a coward.

I get the change of heart, it happens to us all, but at least be a man and own up to it. At least give the other team the courtesy of a PHONE CALL to let them know you have changed your mind.

Hydrus

This has been so damn entertaining. Summing up my winners/losers from this circus show:

Winners:

Winners? They still have no dept. They cant beat GSW, Spurs, Rockets, Memphis, let alone the Cavs. They were never a well liked franchise before & now they just pissed off the whole league. Good luck with future trades.

Winners? They still have no dept. They cant beat GSW, Spurs, Rockets, Memphis, let alone the Cavs. They were never a well liked franchise before & now they just pissed off the whole league. Good luck with future trades.

They would've had no depth if they let DeAndre walk and I doubt other teams, besides the Mavericks, will think about this when making trades with them. If there's a good deal to be had other teams will still consider them.

they have lance and pierce now, they're a bit deeper than last year for sure.

effzee

Maybe I missed it but what role did the Clippers really have in this? He changed his mind and then they pounced when they realised he might want to come back.

BTW LAC not being able to beat some of the teams listed is premature no? I think they can hang with Memphis, GSW, Houston, and OKC. Spurs seem untouchable but you never know with injuries here and there.

Without Jordan, Clippers were far worse and even with Jordan Dallas wasn't going to make much noise so why argue if this does or doesn't make them a real contender?

Shocking News

LeBron James had agreed to re-sign with the Cavs for one-year at $23 million plus a player option, sources told ESPN - Windhorst

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lebron next year is going to be "I need a 10 year contract or I walk." Broken down 42 year old Lebron making 30 mill a season.

ViciousDS

Banned
Shocking News

LeBron James had agreed to re-sign with the Cavs for one-year at $23 million plus a player option, sources told ESPN - Windhorst

so basically hes just going to keep taking the Max 1 year at a time (because the caps set to rise the next two years insanely) to get the most money........he really, really wants cleveland to win a ring for cleveland. /s

so basically hes just going to keep taking the Max 1 year at a time (because the caps set to rise the next two years insanely) to get the most money........he really, really wants cleveland to win a ring for cleveland. /s

The Cavs are going to be over the cap no matter what, he may as well make as much money as possible out of it. I assume he takes these one year deals for as long as he can and then takes one last full max.

they have lance and pierce now, they're a bit deeper than last year for sure.

They also nabbed Wes Johnson.

Right now the Clippers rotation is something like:

Paul/???
Reddick/Stephenson/Crawford
Pierce/Johnson/Stephenson
Blake/???
DeAndre/Ekpe Udoh

They probably bring back Rivers and then trade Crawford for some cap space and sign a third big.

Maybe I missed it but what role did the Clippers really have in this? He changed his mind and then they pounced when they realised he might want to come back.

BTW LAC not being able to beat some of the teams listed is premature no? I think they can hang with Memphis, GSW, Houston, and OKC. Spurs seem untouchable but you never know with injuries here and there.

Without Jordan, Clippers were far worse and even with Jordan Dallas wasn't going to make much noise so why argue if this does or doesn't make them a real contender?

From what has been reported, DJ had second thoughts about the situation and felt like he was coerced into taking a deal by his agent (the coercion part is debatable depending on who you talk to) and then called Doc on Monday to say that he thought he might want to come back. The Clippers then decided to call an emergency meeting on Wednesday to seal the deal. They essentially gave in to DJ's desires to not have Dallas's outside interference in him making a decision, but it seems like DJ doesn't realize that he doesn't HAVE to agree to what Dallas or his agent are saying if he doesn't want to. It seems like DJ's pretty immature and very impressionable. The end result was always what should have happened if you go by those close to DJ. The problem is that he shouldn't have let Dallas or his agent talk him into something he didn't want to do and then respond by ignoring them all instead of simply telling Dallas that he was no longer comfortable with the deal.

Him taking less money would have zero effect on Clevelands ability to add other players or make any roster moves.

Well, they gave the Spurs and Rockets a run for their money last year. With CP3, Blake, and Jordan, they'll have a shot to beat those teams. I mean, their odds last year weren't terrible against those teams either.

Apparently DJ contacted Blake about having second thoughts, then contacted Doc Rivers. So from the Clippers side of things DJ contacted them and they seized the opportunity to get him back as a Clipper. Memphis always gives the Clippers trouble, which is why I wanna see if they can overcome the grindhouse frontcourt. I like Clippers chances against the Warriors based on a superior frontcourt plus they got Paul Pierce and Lance Stephenson who can impact games more frequently than Matt Barnes could.
Houston ain't winning anytime soon, Clippers should be able to handle them with ease this time around. Spurs have a great frontcourt but of course perimeter play is what is going to make them win the series against the Clippers, lets see if Kawhi Leonard can be the "star" people claim him to be instead of getting outplayed by Matt Barnes in a Game 7.

Him taking less money would have zero effect on Clevelands ability to add other players or make any roster moves.

Yeah I mean who would they have signed if he'd taken less? David West went to San Antonio for the vet minimum so cap space was irrelevant there. They're HEAVY favorites to win the East and could win it all if they're healthy. LeBron is doing exactly what he should be doing. He's incredibly valuable to that team and that city. If you consider how much extra income he's brought to Cleveland, his contract is chump change.

dream

This is not a good day for Dan Fegan, Jordan’s agent. On draft night, the Mavericks selected Satnam Singh with the 52nd pick — a massive guy who no one thinks can play in the NBA. Fegan’s agency represents Singh. The league rolled its eyes — another Cuban-Fegan job. The two men are tight, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Cuban has signed a pile of Fegan clients, and he made a run at another one, Dwight Howard, two summers ago.

He didn’t get Howard, but a year later, Cuban wooed another Fegan client: Chandler Parsons. The Rockets let Parsons out of his contract a year early, and it’s widely known around the league — and yet never said on the record — that Houston did so as a repayment for Howard signing there.

Sketchy, sketchy stuff.

Yeah I mean who would they have signed if he'd taken less? David West went to San Antonio for the vet minimum so cap space was irrelevant there. They're HEAVY favorites to win the East and could win it all if they're healthy. LeBron is doing exactly what he should be doing. He's incredibly valuable to that team and that city. If you consider how much extra income he's brought to Cleveland, his contract is chump change.

yessir

OctoMan

Banned
Healthy Heat team is the biggest threat in the east. They need a healthy Deng and Wade for the playoffs and Whiteside taking the next step to becoming a monster, premier big. Even then odds aren't in their favor.

The Rockets let Parsons out of his contract a year early, and it’s widely known around the league — and yet never said on the record — that Houston did so as a repayment for Howard signing there.
Sketchy, sketchy stuff.

Uh, what? Parsons was a restricted free agent and Houston didn't want to match the 3 year $46 million deal unless they could've signed someone like Chris Bosh before that.

Healthy Heat team is the biggest threat in the east. They need a healthy Deng and Wade for the playoffs and Whiteside taking the next step to becoming a monster, premier big. Even then odds aren't in their favor.

lol

the Heatles need a few more pieces before they get to be called "the biggest threat in the east". Even then, they're not really a threat.

Fjordson

lol

the Heatles need a few more pieces before they get to be called "the biggest threat in the east". Even then, they're not really a threat.
I dunno, who else could it be? Think a healthy Heat team has as good a shot as anyone. Maybe the Hawks.

edit: to be clear, I'm basically talking about second place in the East (and I'm guessing OctoMan was also). Not biggest threat to make the finals (that's obviously Cleveland).

Let's assume that Dragic, Bosh, and Whiteside stay healthy. Let's also assume that Whiteside plays at or beyond his play from last season.

You really just need a healthy wade going into the playoffs for that team to be a legit threat. Deng can play meh, and there's always hope that Winslow blossoms into a decent player which will only help with our depth.

It's not good enough for a ring but it's definitely a top 3 team in the East

Let's assume that Dragic, Bosh, and Whiteside stay healthy. Let's also assume that Whiteside plays at or beyond his play from last season.

You really just need a healthy wade going into the playoffs for that team to be a legit threat. Deng can play meh, and there's always hope that Winslow blossoms into a decent player which will only help with our depth.

It's not good enough for a ring but it's definitely a top 3 team in the East

Is being a top 3 team in the east really saying much? I think that just means that you're better than the Hawks and/or Bulls.

Top Bottom