• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

OctoMan

Banned
lol

the Heatles need a few more pieces before they get to be called "the biggest threat in the east". Even then, they're not really a threat.

I dunno, who else could it be? Think a healthy Heat team has as good a shot as anyone. Maybe the Hawks.

edit: to be clear, I'm basically talking about second place in the East (and I'm guessing OctoMan was also). Not biggest threat to make the finals (that's obviously Cleveland).

Yeah talking best shot at the cavs. Which again isn't much. I'm not sure I see what pieces they need. They need to tighten up their bench of course but they have a good a starting 5 as possible and Winslow off the bench should be ready to contribute. Idk they could have a lot worse problems if we're not talking health. Wade is still a all star 2, Dragon was all nba 2 just two seasons ago and hasn't dropped off, Bosh is elite if he's not dead, Whiteside should be a monster and Deng is fine for your 5th guy.

Is being a top 3 team in the east really saying much? I think that just means that you're better than the Hawks and/or Bulls.

whatever we are, at least we didn't roll into a ball and cry like the cavs did when lebron left. this team remains competitive and, barring injuries, should see a decent playoff run this year and have a huge chunk of money for the next offseason in order to add a top tier player.

whatever we are, at least we didn't roll into a ball and cry like the cavs did when lebron left. this time remains competitive and, barring injuries, should see a decent playoff run this year and have a huge chunk of money for the next offseason in order to add a top tier player.

Well, I mean, your team still had Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade and a competent coach and general manager.

When LeBron left Cleveland, they had

Fjordson

You can't get more than what the CBA allows.

And man.... "only" 1.4 million...
Haha, well $1.4 million is still a lot to regular folk but I dunno. I guess David West turning down $11 million still has my brain scrambled. When I heard $1.4 million it was just like "that's it?".

It'll be a lot more next year when he can re-sign for $30 million or so.
Ahh right right. That makes sense.

I keep seeing on twitter that Lebron is giving himself an out every year to make the most money possible. Just figured it'd be a bigger raise than $1.4 million.

If anything, I think he probably helped Cleveland by opting out. I don't know their numbers and how close they were to the cap (probably not very close, considering most of the team had expiring contracts and Irving and Varejao were probably the only two larger contracts on the books). This means they can make a run after FAs, since they can't go over the cap with those contracts, but they can go over as much as they want with bird rights players. It was always known he was going to resign, so its probably best from the teams perspective that he does it after their moves are done.

Wizman23

Banned
Healthy Heat team is the biggest threat in the east. They need a healthy Deng and Wade for the playoffs and Whiteside taking the next step to becoming a monster, premier big. Even then odds aren't in their favor.

LOL. What the biggest threat to take the Cavs to 5 games in a 7 game series?

Fjordson

If anything, I think he probably helped Cleveland by opting out. I don't know their numbers and how close they were to the cap (probably not very close, considering most of the team had expiring contracts and Irving and Varejao were probably the only two larger contracts on the books). This means they can make a run after FAs, since they can't go over the cap with those contracts, but they can go over as much as they want with bird rights players. It was always known he was going to resign, so its probably best from the teams perspective that he does it after their moves are done.
Ooh very interesting, that makes sense. Thanks.

LOL. What the biggest threat to take the Cavs to 5 games in a 7 game series?
He said the odds aren't in their favor. Easy tiger.

Haha, well $1.4 million is still a lot to regular folk but I dunno. I guess David West turning down $11 million still has my brain scrambled. When I heard $1.4 million it was just like "that's it?".

Ahh right right. That makes sense.

In your defense, 6-7% raise is kinda whatever if you're the best at what you do. But yeah, that's the max he can get.

All those dudes, including LeBron, were still cap holds, so I don't know that Cleveland had any more flexibility with him opting out versus him opting in. Cleveland would have had to actually renounce many of their unsigned free agents in order to free up any considerable space.

All those dudes, including LeBron, were still cap holds, so I don't know that Cleveland had any more flexibility with him opting out versus him opting in. Cleveland would have had to actually renounce many of their unsigned free agents in order to free up any considerable space.

Yeah everybody that Cleve resigned were guys whose bird rights they already had so Bron's situation didn't really do much for them.

hope32

Yeah but then he would've been an unrestricted free agent without the option to match any deal he got elsewhere. It may have not been the best plan but it was a plan that makes more sense than Daryl Morey giving away an asset to a rival team because of some back room dealings with an agent.

He would have had Parsons bird rights so he could offer/match whatever his max raise was the following year. Makes no sense to make him a restricted free agent when he could have easily traded him during the year on his cheap contract if he felt like he wasn't going to resign.

And that makes even more sense. Listen to this man, Fjordson.

Also, LeBron wasn't a bird rights player anyway, since he hasn't been with the team for 3 consecutive years yet since rejoining them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
clipboard01ikqi4.png

0031_d66c.gif

hoo boy

Goddamn!

So will Steph Curry be eligible for something like that? His deal is up after the 2016-17 season.

I think it will be slightly less since he won't have had 10 years of experience by then.

$40 million for Bron's age 32-36 seasons? Lol swallow that shit, Gilbert.

I hope that Bron is still good by then so that we might be able to see a Kobe-esque two year $80 million dollar deal.

If I were Kobe I will sit as many games as I can get this coming season to be healthy as possible past that.. Give the Mamba a taste of that 2016 salary cap
banderas.png

Whats crazy is I think Lebron is worth it at that even if he goes full flabby, slow and be averaging 15+ DNPs a season.

Bowser

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 1m1 minute ago
With lots of cap room post-LaMarcus, Blazers putting an offer sheet on Thunder RFA center Enes Kanter, per sources.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 40s40 seconds ago
OKC's Enes Kanter is in Portland, preparing to sign an offer sheet with Blazers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Will be interested to see if OKC matches...per Lowe's article this morning:

If you want more drama, you should root for Dallas to hit Enes Kanter with a max offer sheet. The Thunder are only $2 million below the tax, so matching a max contract would cost them the equivalent of almost $40 million. Only three teams have the room to offer Kanter north of $15 million: Philly, Portland, and Dallas. The first two don’t seem interested — both have a ton of bigs already — and Dallas couldn’t survive defensively playing Kanter and Nowitzki together.

"OKC's Enes Kanter is in Portland, preparing to sign an offer sheet with Blazers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports." - Woj

Who needs Aldridge anyways?

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt 1m1 minute ago
With lots of cap room post-LaMarcus, Blazers putting an offer sheet on Thunder RFA center Enes Kanter, per sources.

Bleh don't think he'll stay with us then since our owner is a cheapass. Hopefully McGary's offensive game keeps improving.

"OKC will likely match, + then look to deal Novak/Augustin/PJII for $0. But POR is forcing their hand. Lots of teams were rooting for this." - Zach Lowe

I guess they're on the phone with the Sixers as we speak.

Lebatard says the Heat offered Wade 20M/1 year and that was it. There was no 3 year deal just the 20M/1 year and he took it. So he's asking what all that posturing was about in the leading up him signing.

I say he was trolling attention.

Lebatard says the Heat offered Wade 20M/1 year and that was it. There was no 3 year deal just the 20M/1 year and he took it. So he's asking what all that posturing was about in the leading up him signing.

I say he was trolling attention.

He was trying to bluff but Riley is too smart for that. Nobody else wanted to sign him.

Healthy Heat team is the biggest threat in the east. They need a healthy Deng and Wade for the playoffs and Whiteside taking the next step to becoming a monster, premier big. Even then odds aren't in their favor.

You could say that about any of the top 6 east seeds (minus the cavs obviously).

Healthy wade, healthy rose, healthy wall, heck, even healthy Lowry could've changed the face of the playoffs.

TRios Zen

LMA officially a Spur and Bruce Bowen allowed his #12 to come out of retirement to make him feel comfortable.

Not surprising really, just cool that it's official.

Top Bottom