• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA OFFSEASON TALK- Where our favorite teams go shopping for tanks

El Topo

Is he that good?

I'm not sure if his skills will translate well to the (much more physical/athletical) NBA, but he was pretty great in Euroleague last season. If I recall correctly he had (by far) the highest PIR (Performance Index Rating).
Could completely flop, could be a useful bench player and there's also a (very slim) chance he might adapt properly and become a great player. Definitely a nice bargain. Not that I watch too much Euroleague though.

rando14

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say Deron Williams is expected to sign a two-year deal with Dallas in the $10 million range once he hits the open market

2/10+ for the locker room cancer who made Jerry sloan quit? :\

CJlM4HsWUAASjR9.jpg

Stugotz lost the NBA Finals bet with Dan so he had to dye his hair to look like Guy Fieri

Lebatard show>>>>>>

Fjordson

Homer.

Actually, I've kind of had a soft spot for the Celtics uniform for years. I can't explain it except that maybe it's related to my youth league basketball team I was on during 5th and 6th grades, whose uniforms were green with white lettering. It's not that I'm appreciative of the Celtics, I'm just longing for lost youth.

That, or I could go for a bowl of Lucky Charms. Either way, really.

CJlM4HsWUAASjR9.jpg

Stugotz lost the NBA Finals bet with Dan so he had to dye his hair to look like Guy Fieri

Lebatard show>>>>>>
Lmfao.

Yeah, the radio show is great.

So, what does Brooklyn get for buying out Deron? I don't understand their reasoning. They gain nothing by tanking.

They get out from under a hefty luxury tax that makes no sense for a mediocre team.

Now they'll have a lesser tax and be.... actually, I'm not sure what losing Williams means to the team.

Bread

Banned
pay the tax and have a chance at the 8th seed or get rid of him and gift one of your rivals a lottery pick...unless deron threatens to sit out or something i don't know why you would buy him out.

Carlisle has a great track record with coach hating point guards though

Carlisle is .500 on that after Rondo, Kidd was considered a hot head as well but he was never as bad as Rondo.

Carlisle dealt with crazy though when he was an assistant at Indiana when Artest was there so he knows it comes with the territory. He's dealt with worse
yeshrug.png

Bread

Banned
welp i guess it's official that they bought him out

trade joe johnson to the cavs and embrace the tank!

3 years of brooklyn picks *drools*

So it is official

OFFICIAL: The HEAT announced they have signed free agent C/F Amar'e Stoudemire.

Miami Heat going to be dangerous in the East. Clearly the Cavs and Heat are the top of the crop.

Gigglepoo

Deron going to Dallas might be a win/win for the Celtics. Brooklyn probably won't find a better PG in such short notice, so they'll be in the lottery. Carlisle will inevitably clash with Williams, making it likely the Mavs will be in the lottery as well.

Everything is coming up Boston.

Bread

Banned
Deron going to Dallas might be a win/win for the Celtics. Brooklyn probably won't find a better PG in such short notice, so they'll be in the lottery. Carlisle will inevitably clash with Williams, making it likely the Mavs will be in the lottery as well.

Everything is coming up Boston.
ohhh didn't think of that second part! good call!

Cheebo

Banned
Heat have had a solid off season and draft. Too bad the best case scenario for them if everyone remains healthy is a 6-7 seed spot that will go nowhere. They are lucky the East is so weak, they'd never make the Playoffs in the West.

Even in the East their lineup is leagues behind Cleveland, Atlanta, Chicago, & Milwaukee.

Kusagari

Heat have had a solid off season and draft. Too bad the best case scenario for them if everyone remains healthy is a 6-7 seed spot that will go nowhere. They are lucky the East is so weak, they'd never make the Playoffs in the West.

Even in the East their lineup is leagues behind Cleveland, Atlanta, Chicago, & Milwaukee.

They have the best starting 5 in the east.

Im getting kinda sick of the Eastern Conference, just crown the Cavs repeat winners, every year it seems they get weaker. And Lebron gets to cake walk to the finals again.

Bread

Banned

what in god's name are you talking about

Cheebo

Banned
They have the best starting 5 in the east.

There is no way you are serious. I don't like the Cavs or Lebron but there is absolutely no question that no starting 5 in the east is far and away the best.

Lebron, Kyrie, K Love, Mosgov, plus just about anyone they put in there is the best starting lineup in the East.

I would LOVE a competitive east, but it is not happening this year. Cavs are way better going into this year than last year not to mention due their lineup finally clicking the second half of the season. Talking ourselves into imagining a competitive east won't make it happen. It's Cavs vs whoever survives the west again.

Ya'll talking about the east being weak but I think the Bucks are going to surprise a lot of people next year.
yeshrug.png

The heat would be my favorite for the 1st seed in the east but I'm still skeptical on Wade and Bosh's health and what version of them shows up on the floor. Just going to have to wait and see.

Tom Penny

I'm trying to figure out if Deron makes the Nets or Mavs better or worse because the Celtics have both their picks. I can't decide.

Ohwow.gif

Bosh has been pretty Damn healthy outside of the rando blood clot issue last year. I hear you on wade, he's good for 60 games tops but that's fine if it means he's alright for the postseason.

Dragic is a damn fine pg, whiteside makes deandre Jordan look like Roy Hibbert and might actually be better his year and deng, well, we got Winslow!

This team has a better bench than last year, too, so yeah they'll be a top 3 team in the east barring injuries.

There is no way you are serious. I don't like the Cavs or Lebron but there is absolutely no question that no starting 5 in the east is far and away the best.

Lebron, Kyrie, K Love, Mosgov, plus just about anyone they put in there is the best starting lineup in the East.

I would LOVE a competitive east, but it is not happening this year. Cavs are way better going into this year than last year not to mention due their lineup finally clicking the second half of the season. Talking ourselves into imagining a competitive east won't make it happen. It's Cavs vs whoever survives the west again.

Best starting 5 would have to do how well each person is suited at each position. Lebron is clearly the best SF ever, but Deng is average. Wade is better than any SG on the Cavs. Bosh is better than any PF the Cavs have. Whiteside is better than Mosgov based on his small body of work. And when it comes Kyrie and Dragic which player would want running a NBA offense. It is Dragic. Kyrie is the better player one would argue but who is a better PG. So Miami has the advantage at PG, C, PF and SG.

fertygo

Best starting 5 would have to do how well each person is suited at each position. Lebron is clearly the best SF ever, but Deng is average. Wade is better than any SG on the Cavs. Bosh is better than any PF the Cavs have. Whiteside is better than Mosgov based on his small body of work. And when it comes Kyrie and Dragic which player would want running a NBA offense. It is Dragic. Kyrie is the better player one would argue but who is a better PG. So Miami has the advantage at PG, C, PF and SG.
Basketball matchup doesn't work like that fam.

Bread

Banned
that's a dumb way to look at it, you completely ignore what role the players have in each offense.

Top Bottom