• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

fgRNLRC.jpg

We probably will lose to the Cavs. But I don't think non Raptor fans appreciate how big this win was for the psyche of this fan base and this city. For once things didn't end in epic disappointment. And they won going away. It's historic.

75% chance the Cavs win.
25% chance the raptors win.

Lowry, Biyambo, patterson were all in beast mode. Nothing you can do about that.
Corey Joseph is awful, just awful.

Wade is made of glass because putting a finger on him results in a foul.

Cory Joseph looked like ass this entire series. He was great in the Pacers Series. I hope he's not injured or something

Don't expect JV to be back at game one CavaliersGAF. I'm estimating 2 or 3.

fgRNLRC.jpg

We probably will lose to the Cavs. But I don't think non Raptor fans appreciate how big this win was for the psyche of this fan base and this city. For once things didn't end in epic disappointment. And they won going away. It's historic.

Awesome photo! Place looked electric.

shira

If Derozan walks and plays for the Lakers it's back to rebuilding. This might be a once in a lifetime shot with 2 allstars

75% chance the Cavs win.
25% chance the raptors win.

Lowry, Biyambo, patterson were all in beast mode. Nothing you can do about that.
Corey Joseph is awful, just awful.

Wade is made of glass because putting a finger on him results in a foul.

CoJo wasn't good today but he is like super consistent for them. No way Raps fans can shit on him. Bruh basically carried the back court load for 11 games.

If Derozan walks and plays for the Lakers it's back to rebuilding. This might be a once in a lifetime shot with 2 allstars

Doubt he walks, if the raptors come with a max deal (and now they will). The lakers are not a good fit for him and "fit" more than anything seems to dictate where stars like him go.

I'd almost bet on him going to some winning dark horse team with a crafty GM rather than the lakers.

fgRNLRC.jpg

Brinbe great photo! That's going on my wall.

Eleuin

As someone who doesn't care for basketball can someone explain why the Cavs beating the Raptors is a forgone conclusion?

Raptors only won 1 fewer game than the Cavs this season.

Raptors have a 32-17 record against teams above .500 while the Cavs were 27-21 against teams above .500

Also the fact that the Raptors already beat the Cavs multiple times this season.
Cavs are well rested and on a historic hot streak from 3
Raptors are coming from a game 7 series without their 2nd best player available for at least a few games

This is how the series will go: Derozan shoots the ball way too much at a terrible %. Meanwhile the Cavs open up an insurmountable lead where iso heroics from lowry and co don't matter (especially if they hold onto the ball until the last few seconds like they've been doing)

Hopefully JV comes back soon and they can steal one but that's wishful thinking, getting swept would suck

Doubt he walks, if the raptors come with a max deal (and now they will). The lakers are not a good fit for him and "fit" more than anything seems to dictate where stars like him go.

I'd almost bet on him going to some winning dark horse team with a crafty GM rather than the lakers.

I'm not sure giving DeRozan a max contract is the right move for the Raptors.

Yup, but that's not the case for other fans tho. They all see him doing well lol
Giving him Max is franchise crippling money. Its a horrible long term idea considering the teams extremely large deficiencies at the 4 spot. And all their players are getting better too. no one has really peaked. Demar getting 15-18/yr is fair. But other than that naw.

Vestal

Probably fair to say Toronto fans would've loved to have faced bosh.

Even before the anthem thing, nobody here liked wade (annoying like an LA clipper lol), so this was a satisfying win nevertheless.

Miami well coached and scrappy team. Hassan and JV would've made for an even better series.

They might have loved to face Bosh, but the outcome would have been VERY VERY different. Nothing against what they have done, but Bosh has owned Toronto every time they play.

Cipherr

The Raptors won? New blood in the ECF?

Im not gonna lie I'm shocked, but it feels good to have some new blood emerging man, holy shit. Congrats to their fanbase, that score looks crazy, I'll bet they were losing their shit.

Giving him Max is franchise crippling money. Its a horrible long term idea considering the teams extremely large deficiencies at the 4 spot. And all their players are getting better too. no one has really peaked. Demar getting 15-18/yr is fair. But other than that naw.

You are 100% right. Sadly the nba FA period is about timing. Some guys get paid and some don't. The new collective bargaining deal favours guys like DD. But to be fair, the raps underpaid him the past 3-4 years.

You say $15 is fair and I agree. But the max is $20. THe market determines what is fair. As a GM/owner, Do you really risk your massive team value over an extra $5mln?

DD will get his max.

Unless you have the occasional pay cut star (everyone Spurs) or player who appears to fear long term injury and signs quickly long term for less (draymond, curry), there will be overpayments.

There was a book I was reading a few years ago that described how teams decide on trades/extensions. It should come down to the typical cost:benefit ratio, i.e. Does the team have a viable alternative ready? And in most cases, the answer is no. You can't replace team chemistry nor 15ppg instantly. (Unless you are the Spurs and LMA is waiting in the wings).

So teams take the SAFER RISK and pay, then at least then they know they would be a decent team, rather than risk being a below average team and alienating the fanbase. Saving money never seems to help in this league, as big money FA's rarely move around. Stockpiling draft picks does pay off however, as excellent trade chips and player value.

A team like the raptors must develop from within and will ALWAYS have to overpay free agents. Just be happy it's their money and not your money :)

They might have loved to face Bosh, but the outcome would have been VERY VERY different. Nothing against what they have done, but Bosh has owned Toronto every time they play.

For sure! But one could also argue that Goran - who hurt the raps big time - would've gotten a lot less touches on the ball. The heat are almost as good, like, a different kind of "good", giving more minutes to Whiteside and Dragic rather than have Bosh play 35 mpg.

With Whiteside in the middle and no JV, biyombo would have been somewhat neutralized.

And Patterson loves playing on the wing so being lured out of the paint by bosh is his jam.

beat

Unless you have the occasional pay cut star (everyone Spurs) or player who appears to fear long term injury and signs quickly long term for less (draymond, curry), there will be overpayments.
My opinion, Draymond didn't take a bargain cause he was afraid of long term injury, but at the time there was already legitimate concern he was playing better than his real ceiling and would revert to the mean.

Joei

Congrats Raptors, but I'm sorry, I don't see this next series going past 5 games. Toronto MAY win a home game, but they're not winning a road one nor are they winning back to back games.

I, for one, can't wait to start this series though. I've read about as much as I can of Cody Kessler looking good in rookie mini-camp and watched enough of the Indians score 2 runs a game.

Oozer3993

The Catastrophic Postseason Ruining Injury is hanging over the Cavs like the Sword of Damocles. I just know Lebron is gonna get hurt soon. Cleveland isn't allowed this kind of success. This is just God making sure our pain can be even greater. A Lebron injury or a Steph Curry Game 7 90 foot buzzer beating game winning heave is in our future.

Draft lottery is at halftime of Tuesday's game, right?

It's before the game. Lottery at 8, game at 8:30.

My opinion, Draymond didn't take a bargain cause he was afraid of long term injury, but at the time there was already legitimate concern he was playing better than his real ceiling and would revert to the mean.

I think you're right. There were times during the restricted FA period where I was surprised by the lack of rumours about X team trying to make a play for him, even in future.

Curry makes everyone look better :)

Miami tricked me, I really believed that ever since Brad Stevens got knocked out of the playoffs they would be the team to really keep Lebron from losing in the Finals again. You're up Toronto, don't fuck it up.

He destroyed the Raptors in 2014 in post-season.

Then the Nets got destroyed but they were old AF.

That was one year and it was the Raptors. You gotta look at his whole body of work. Go back to his Atlanta days. You could practically put his face on the side of a milk carton, he was missing so much.

No bosh, No Whiteside. 1 from the ECF. I'll take it. Don Riley gonna do work this off season and have us in the Finals next year.

No, you won't be.

congrats rapsGAF

cleveland's bigs are about to get a full helping of biz

pretty sure our bigs will hold up better than Justice Winslow at the C.

At least, I think it's fair to say we won't get out-rebounded on the offensive glass by 17 or whatever it was tonight. That smallball lineup lost MIA the game just as much as TOR's backcourt performance. Because what are rebounds for. Surely we can duplicate game 6 again despite prep time!

Kyle Lowry says LeBron Is One of the Best Players Besides Steph

Lowry needs to shut up. Man Lebron is going to destroy us.
Doesn't matter how right or wrong the statement is don't give Lebron any more motivation to embarrass us even more

Another funny story Amare Says he wanted to play more minutes for the Heat. Amare just retire

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Oh man, it would be so funny if the raptors beat the cavs. I wonder if anyone will say "lebron needs more help!" Again lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom