• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K10 GAF Season IX Thread of Meltdowns and Sweet Tears

:lol That's some crazy shit FaZe, thankfully I haven't played enough 2K10 to find all these bugs and glitches you guys have.

I got it strictly for league play, and thank the lawd I only paid a fraction of the retail price for it.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
CB3 said:
LIVE. Do it. Ask Truelize if you dont believe

:lol Live is still not as good as 2k (what 2k10 should be after the patch) in my eyes. But right now 2k has some issues that are frustrating.

Everyone simmer down and shelf your copy and wait for the patch (if you are worried about opening it).

I'm not going anywhere. I think for me 2k will be the strategic serious league and Live will be the fast break run and shoot fun league. I right now can't see Live being super strategic for me, the flow is really different.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm happy right now that I have both games. I created a 6'10" Center for My Player mode and I'm loving playing it. So much fun.

RPG sports are probably my favorite new mode.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Truelize said:
:lol Live is still not as good as 2k.

The Live I have and am playing right now is better than this buggy ass version of 2k, maybe if they fix this stuff with the patch I'll change my mind.

Way better than 2k9 Konex...really? come on now, it's the same fucking game with broken iso motion this year.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Matrix said:
The Live I have and am playing right now is better than this buggy as version of 2k, maybe if they fix this stuff with the patch I'll change my mind.

I agree. I want to put "once the help defense and framerate issues are fixed", but left that out.
I play Live at a totally different speed. It's not NBA Jam fast but it's more arcadey than 2k is. You can really get a good run and gun game going in Live.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ph33nix said:
shouldn't have rented nhl

I know. I'm going to have to buy it. But it's that or Brutal Legend next week and Schaffer gets my money first. That game needs and deserves the support. NHL can be gotten a bit later for me.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I feel Live is actually more sim then you are describing it to be, the games I played against CB and Stealth were not NBA run and gun type games.

It still really comes down to who you are playing imo and the teams being used.

edit- I also noticed the frame rate issues in the paint last night, I had played 3 games against my brother and hadn't seen them. 4th game I was cussing out loud it was so annoying.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Well I don't feel that I need to worry about each possession in Live like I have to in 2k. That's what I mean about being less sim and more run and gun. The game still is very realistic basketball, just runs at a different pace.

Truelize said:
:lol Live is still not as good as 2k (what 2k10 should be after the patch) in my eyes. But right now 2k has some issues that are frustrating.

Everyone simmer down and shelf your copy and wait for the patch (if you are worried about opening it).

I'm not going anywhere. I think for me 2k will be the strategic serious league and Live will be the fast break run and shoot fun league. I right now can't see Live being super strategic for me, the flow is really different.

The games will be what you make it bro.

2K can be even more run-n-gun than Live is based on the fact that laser-fast passes can thread the needle in the paint at will and everyone makes everything out of the box.

When we played Live this morning, I wasn't so much concerned about winning than showing you that the game isn't broken.

is it just me or has NBA 2k's post game improved.... a lot? this is probably the best feeling post game i have ever played. still trying to get things down otherwise. my only true complaint at this time is the help defense. i call no help defense and my guys still go over to help! then it leaves a guy open!

come on noah you fucking french douchebag

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Shawnwhann said:
The games will be what you make it bro.

2K can be even more run-n-gun than Live is based on the fact that laser-fast passes can thread the needle in the paint at will and everyone makes everything out of the box.

When we played Live this morning, I wasn't so much concerned about winning than showing you that the game isn't broken.

And dang. You mean you were taking it easy on me? I felt so good about myself.

Hey maybe I treasure possessions more in 2k because the game is so screwy. I don't know how to really explain it but during those games I was just playing and not thinking. I'm sure it can get just as intense though.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
is it just me or has NBA 2k's post game improved.... a lot? this is probably the best feeling post game i have ever played. still trying to get things down otherwise. my only true complaint at this time is the help defense. i call no help defense and my guys still go over to help! then it leaves a guy open!

Agreed, there are a ton of new animations in there that Big Z and Shaq didn't have last year. Live's post game is pretty basic right now. Might be the biggest strength that 2k still has over Live actually.

Matrix

Cloudy said:
I didn't really play 2k9 after the first few weeks though..

Well it was better than this.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I finished Draft Combo with my centre. Wound up with a ranking of 43 (seemed harder to move up for big men).
My player is focused on rebounding and I've been spending points to round out his offensive post move stats and defensive stats.
Kinda funny that every time I went to spend a point in the vertical attribute (that specifically states it's for dunks and rebounds) that the little adviser guy would tell me not to do it. Dumbass.

And I actually saved him properly this time so I wont have to restart again. So dumb. Looking forward to using our own players in team up mode soon. Should be fun.

Motherfuckers I aint goin nowhere.

I think deleting my normal settings fixes the issue.

I'm frustrated about a lot of things with the game but my experiences against some gaffers here in a league setting have been terrific.

ecnal said:
no defensive rotation fix = i'm 1 and done with 2K this year.

I have learned how to fix this. Just ask anachronous_one!

rinse82

I'm sticking with 2K10, have both games and not really feeling Live at all. It's improved don't get me wrong, but I'll pass on it till Live 11.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Dark FaZe said:
Motherfuckers I aint goin nowhere.

I think deleting my normal settings fixes the issue.

I'm frustrated about a lot of things with the game but my experiences against some gaffers here in a league setting have been terrific.

ecnal said:
no defensive rotation fix = i'm 1 and done with 2K this year.

I have learned how to fix this. Just ask anachronous_one!

To keep the stupid defensive rotations to a minimum, I've been turning the Help Defense slider all the way down on the Coach Profiles, and setting every player to be guarded tightly and that seems to work well. In single player, I also set double teaming on all player assignments to Never (which is the default in an online game, anyway).

FaZe, after some testing, it appears that the Defensive Assist Strength setting that you had been lowering actually only affects how well Lock-On Defense (LT) works. For example, if you crank that slider all the way up, you can LITERALLY play defense simply by holding the LT down --- no buttons or stick necessary. Conversely, if you turn that setting all the way down, there is NO Lock-On Defense AT ALL. So as far as I can tell, that setting has nothing to do with AI defensive rotations.

Hope this info helps someone, and I'd love to hear if someone else has a better setup for keeping the bad defensive rotations in check.

Smokey

So are people dropping or what?

I haven't been around the last couple days (102 fever :/ ) so I really haven't had a chance to do anything.

Cloudy

Banned
To keep the stupid defensive rotations to a minimum, I've been turning the Help Defense slider all the way down on the Coach Profiles, and setting every player to be guarded tightly and that seems to work well. In single player, I also set double teaming on all player assignments to Never (which is the default in an online game, anyway).

Yah this is exactly what I do too... :D

DMczaf

I may end up keeping it depending on what the patch fixes, but this is the final year of me buying NBA2K on face value. Next year, Live 11 REALLY has a REAL good chance of picking me up in free agency, not a Knicks-Lebron chance.

played another game last night with some sliders and i'm lovin' it!

i really like the new post game AND blocking this year. it seems like there are a lot of dynamic blocks unlike last year where there would be a canned animation that couldn't be blocked.

the fast break is very good as well. i think it is improved from last year and feels much more realistic.

defense i still need to test out more settings. every few possessions i'll get in trouble because my guy is rotating and leaving someone open. i haven't really messed with any of the setting suggestions to cut that down so i dont know if they will work.

nba 2k restored! and the patch will probably only make things better

anachronous_one said:

Same here and it works alright. I've managed to cut off wide open 3's but I can't help but to leave the CPU open here and there for a moment or two for a mid range jumpshot or a chance at a drive to the rim. Luckily 2k10's cheese recovery defense usually kicks in and a nearby player goes into super turbo mode to cut off the lane.

DMczaf said:
I may end up keeping it depending on what the patch fixes, but this is the final year of me buying NBA2K on face value. Next year, Live 11 REALLY has a REAL good chance of picking me up in free agency, not a Knicks-Lebron chance.

The revolution is happening next year no matter what features 2k11 adds. Unless there is completely lagless multiplayer, almost near removal of lead pass and a complete change in the isomotion system I am going over to Live 11 as long as the reports of Live 10's online being fairly lagless are true (which I haven't confirmed yet).

Smokey said:
So are people dropping or what?

I haven't been around the last couple days (102 fever :/ ) so I really haven't had a chance to do anything.

We need a new roll call.

We also need something to keep the thread somewhat fresh until 2k irons out a patch or we officially start the league.

Maybe a preseason tournament just for the sake of seeing who's active early and getting some league ruled games under our belts before the games really start to count?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
played another game last night with some sliders and i'm lovin' it!

i really like the new post game AND blocking this year. it seems like there are a lot of dynamic blocks unlike last year where there would be a canned animation that couldn't be blocked.

the fast break is very good as well. i think it is improved from last year and feels much more realistic.

defense i still need to test out more settings. every few possessions i'll get in trouble because my guy is rotating and leaving someone open. i haven't really messed with any of the setting suggestions to cut that down so i dont know if they will work.

nba 2k restored! and the patch will probably only make things better
this is my sentiment exactly. 2k9 patch fixed a lot of issues. with the list of issues they are considering for the next patch, 2k10 could very well take the crown, the GOAT status.

viakado said:
this is my sentiment exactly. 2k9 patch fixed a lot of issues. with the list of issues they are considering for the next patch, 2k10 could very well take the crown, the GOAT status.

did they really? because in the last few months of 2k I still saw:

1. Fucked up substitution menus where you'd make subs and then it'd automatically reset
2. game freezing if you do d-pad subs
3. fucked up online play (still disconnecting?)

and more little shits here and there. you're delusional

bob when is this going down

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Dark FaZe said:
We need a new roll call.

We also need something to keep the thread somewhat fresh until 2k irons out a patch or we officially start the league.

Maybe a preseason tournament just for the sake of seeing who's active early and getting some league ruled games under our belts before the games really start to count?
Agreed on both counts. We should need to get an idea of who's for-sure in, who's for-sure out, and who is sitting in wait-and-seem mode, as well as try to get in a pre-season tourney going or something.

Seems like people are dropping, and this will affect team availability, obviously.

anachronous_one said:
Agreed on both counts. We should need to get an idea of who's for-sure in, who's for-sure out, and who is sitting in wait-and-seem mode, as well as try to get in a pre-season tourney going or something.

Seems like people are dropping, and this will affect team availability, obviously.
participants currently in season 9 that is also in live league:

Pheenixs - still in.
Shawn - still in.
Smokey - still in.
CB3 - still in.
Ecnal - still in.
Matrix - still in.
DiddyBop - still in.
Truelize - still in.

i do believe they have both games correct and intend on doing both leagues. that's my assumption.
noone has dropped, and the people that have, have already left league and i updated the OP. currently there are 2 openings available.

im still in! i already opened the game!

also, thank GOD they added in a quick menu for playcalls. last year, you had to go in and freaking ASSIGN the 8 plays you wanted before the game. now with the quick menu, you can easily scroll through all your plays on the fly by position. great addition and opens up the offense nicely instead of having to concentrate on the 8 plays you chose.

2K admin said:
I project that this weekend will stress the servers in ways we haven't seen yet so it will probably be up and down for most of the weekend making it hard to start games. But by the time monday rolls around we will have learned the hardest lessons on what's going on with the servers in response to the load so things should start getting cleaner and cleaner from then on.

So i would say test it out this weekend and see what it looks like, but you can count on more consistent situation next week.
i just want a stable server :(

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I like how they act surprised. Like this hasn't been happening for the past three years or so

ecnal

anachronous_one said:

i wish that fixed it 100%.

it's stupid that in order to fix the broken defense you have to give up all control you have over defensive matchups, pressure, and rotations.

great work 2K.

DCX

DCX
viakado said:
participants currently in season 9 that is also in live league:

Pheenixs - still in.
Shawn - still in.
Smokey - still in.
CB3 - still in.
Ecnal - still in.
Matrix - still in.
DiddyBop - still in.
Truelize - still in.

i do believe they have both games correct and intend on doing both leagues. that's my assumption.
noone has dropped, and the people that have, have already left league and i updated the OP. currently there are 2 openings available.
I'm in.

DCX

Mrbob

Pheenix we should probably wait till at least next monday to play. Reading the 2k forums the devs basically say the servers won't be stable till at least monday. :/

Mrbob said:
Pheenix we should probably wait till at least next monday to play. Reading the 2k forums the devs basically say the servers won't be stable till at least monday. :/
1 on 1 matches are fine. except for the minor slow down when change of posession.

CB3 said:
I like how they act surprised. Like this hasn't been happening for the past three years or so

:lol

The servers are fixed when 25% of the casuals decide to stick exclusively to matches in their house with the homies and playing association. It isn't an issue of net code. It's an issue of 2k being poor motherfuckers who can't afford to take care of the community. Live 11
onlinebut2k11associtation
future.

Mrbob said:

My 1 on 1 matches here with gaffers have went fairly smoothly.

giga

What happened to the defense lock with LT? I can't keep my defenders in front of the ball handler any more..

Suggestions for a good slider? There are too many OS to choose from.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
giga said:
What happened to the defense lock with LT? I can't keep my defenders in front of the ball handler any more..

Suggestions for a good slider? There are too many OS to choose from.
LT for lock on defense works just fine with default settings.

If you're expecting something that requires you to do NOTHING and magically keeps you in front of the player you are guarding, then you probably want to crank up the slider labeled Defensive Assist (or something like that) under Controller Settings. It's defaulted at 50, but at 0 there is NO lock on at all, and at 100 all you do is hold LT and the AI keeps your player in proper position without you even touching an analog stick or a button.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I got my myplayer through traning camp onto the Nuggets opening day roster and im somehow on the Lakers roster too :lol

This game is trash. Everything is gltiched to the point that its unplayable or not working like every online component. Im not touching this shit again until that patch hits to turn my beta copy of NBA2K10 into something that more closley resembles an actual retail game.

Top Bottom