• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder_ur

I think there's a little of this going on. Oklahoma just got shook in the 1st half, and just imploded in the 2nd. Villanova playing lights out.. but Oklahoma can't make a shot from ANYWHERE on the court.

When's the last time something like this happened in the F4?

Yeah, to be fair, Nova's playing in the same building. Oklahoma actually had a chance to make it a game early in the second half. They were getting stops and offensive boards but missed a ton of good open looks.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
And Villanova still launching and making 3's.... Oklahoma still bricking 3's.

Oklahoma was shooting 48% at the half... their problem 1st half was 9 turnovers... problem 2nd half is turnovers (7) and horrible shooting. They shot in the 20's I think in the 2nd...

BTW, I do think Hield's stock will drop a bit, he's a senior.. and on the biggest stage he laid a turd.

Biggest blowout in NCAA history right there.

M-PG71C

That's pretty silly. Hield has been great all year.

Shooting in large arenas and especially domes is legitimately weird. I once played a couple games in a dome and you really can't overstate how much it messes with your depth perception and alignment.

CBSsports.com looks like it has it, right?

Nah, TBS is airing it.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah, to be fair, Nova's playing in the same building. Oklahoma actually had a chance to make it a game early in the second half. They were getting stops and offensive boards but missed a ton of good open looks.

Different guys react different to it. I don't think anyone will argue it's the only reason, but it probably was a factor.. basketball is about momentum. and once you lose it, and you aren't hitting j's.. the huge arena and crowd probably isn't doing you favors.

Nova played some great D on Buddy though.

spyder_ur

And Villanova still launching and making 3's.... Oklahoma still bricking 3's.

Oklahoma was shooting 48% at the half... their problem 1st half was 9 turnovers... problem 2nd half is turnovers (7) and horrible shooting. They shot in the 20's I think in the 2nd...

BTW, I do think Hield's stock will drop a bit, he's a senior.. and on the biggest stage he laid a turd.

Biggest blowout in NCAA history right there.

Final Four, I think you mean.

I don't think it'll have much of an impact on Hield's stock although it might have peaked in the tourney. His team won as many tourney games as the rest of the projected top 10 combined. He showed just fine, just one of those nights. Guys has had steel balls all year long.

Nah, TBS is airing it.

I can't check now because it's in between games, but I loaded it up through CBSsports.com. Or the March Madness app.

Different guys react different to it. I don't think anyone will argue it's the only reason, but it probably was a factor.. basketball is about momentum. and once you lose it, and you aren't hitting j's.. the huge arena and crowd probably isn't doing you favors.

Nova played some great D on Buddy though.

They were incredible. They are on a pretty incredible streak right now.

The funny thing is OU already beat this team by 23 this year. Obviously the same thing isn't going to happen every time in a rematch, but a 67 point turnaround is a humongous difference.

95% chance Carolina runs Syracuse out the gym

5% chance Cuse's zone forces Carolina (a team that can't really shoot in a regular gym, let alone a football stadium) to shoot and miss a lot of long shots and Cuse wins a UConn-Butler 2011 NCG-like (IE the last time the FF was in Houston, probably the worst played championship game of all time) low scoring game.

It's pre-ordained that Nova can't buy a bucket on Monday night and Nantz will do his schmaltzy, "Wow, this team looks nothing like the team we saw on Saturday night!"

Nuggets from Twitter:

Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde 22m
Officially the worst bloodbath in Final Four history. Villanova 95, Oklahoma 51.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 29m
In the 1 vs 16 game

Patrick Stevens ‏@D1scourse 30m
Just noting ... the most lopsided game of the 2016 tournament before tonight was Oregon by 39 over Holy Cross.

Patrick Stevens ‏@D1scourse 45m
Kansas 94-61 over Marquette in the 2003 semifinals.

Andrew Hadley ‏@xDelta07 52m
@D1scourse when was the last time someone won a final four game by 30?

And of course Kansas ended up losing the Final that year. To Syracuse.

College B-Ball Ref ‏@collegebb_ref 33m
Since 1949, no Top 10 ranked team has ever lost by more than 43 points, until tonight http://cbbref.com/tiny/riYqV

CfE6hO1WIAAkFIk.jpg:large

Fjordson

College basketball is so hard to watch sometimes (especially the last few years). The play quality is so poor.
Definitely. Night and day compared to the NBA right now.

They're trying to fix it kinda with some of the rule changes and the shorter shot clock, but it can still often be really slow and ugly. And of course Syracuse sitting in their zone never helps.

They're trying to fix it kinda with some of the rule changes and the shorter shot clock, but it can still often be really slow and ugly. And of course Syracuse sitting in their zone never helps.

Taking the shot clock down by 5 definitely helped a bit this year, but I still think it should be in line with the NBA. Nonetheless, the quality between all pros vs college sports is usually quite huge (NHL, NBA, NFL, etc.), but this also adds a factor of excitement too IMO.

Effnine

Taking the shot clock down by 5 definitely helped a bit this year, but I still think it should be in line with the NBA. Nonetheless, the quality between all pros vs college sports is usually quite huge (NHL, NBA, NFL, etc.), but this also adds a factor of excitement too IMO.

Yeah, I'm glad they took the clock down, but it's still painfully slow at times. UNC seems to have much more success going inside than launching 3s from way outside.

Celts Warriors last night was a different sport

Kevtones

Not sure this has been said but Oklahoma BLEW OUT Villanova earlier this year by 23 points.

23+44 = 67

This has to be the largest point differential of two games played by two teams in the same year ever. That's just INSANE.

Roy in a lot of ways is a terrible in-game coach because he's completely incapable (or unwilling) to make adjustments on the fly.

But you can't argue he isn't nice with the chalkboard in between games.

Exhibit A: He has Carolina completely prepared for this Syracuse press that destroyed Virginia. They're breaking it with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom