• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Shinjitsu

Banned
UFRA said:
I haven't had this much fun playing online with my buddies in a long time. Just constant laughs and having a blast.

Even losing is still fun and awesome.

Really addicted, and so impressed. PS3 mics are a bit choppy, but I trust that Criterion will patch it.

110% better than the crappy demo.

Not surprised at all, the Burnout Paradise demo was pretty much the same.

see5harp said:
It will allow each gamertag or PSN name redeem a 2 day trial. I'm guessing that they are tying the codes to you name instead of the consoles so you should be fine assuming you login with your name/pass on your brothers system. On 360 you just put your profile on a usb.

Thanks!

Still trying to get it out of my head that this isn't Burnout: Paradise, so hopefully multi will help with that. Looking for some 360 players to add to my Autolog.

GT: kryptikjoker

In my short time with the game, the most fun I've had gaming all year. Cop races so far are not as fun, and the soundtrack is hit or miss, but get a good chase going and NFS: HP is an absolute blast. Far and away the best NFS since Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2, I'm hoping that it does well so we can get more trad NFS and less Fast and Furious!

Game is pretty fun. Like others have mentioned, those time trial events are definitely frustrating. I guess I'll just have to learn the tracks. Multiplayer on PC is kind of a mess though. The font size is too big and the standings and other status updates seem to cover too much of the screen. Is there any kind of chat? I couldn't figure out how to text chat and I never heard anyone say anything online although I've only played 2 matches.

If anyone wants to add me on PC, my account name is CrookedRain.

I gotta echo these cop races being shit. If you're gonna make hitting walls a penalty, at least make it so the cars don't fly around like a pinball the second you scrape a wall.

Anyway, still looking for more PSN gaffers, name is Absoludacrous.

Hawk SE

I have this for both PC and 360 (courtesy of a friend).

Both are largely the same, but much crisper on PC. I'm going to spend a lot of time with this game.

bridegur

Great, great, great game, and probably the best-looking racer I've ever played (especially when the rain is falling). So far my only complaints:

-Crashes are essentially someone throwing a handful of confetti
-No jumps
-No map for free driving?

Shinjitsu

Banned
bridegur said:
Great, great, great game, and probably the best-looking racer I've ever played (especially when the rain is falling). So far my only complaints:

-No jumps

I don't have the game yet, but I've defiantly seen videos of people free roaming. Doesn't look like there's shit to do in free roam, but it's there.

i-Lo

Shinjitsu said:
I don't have the game yet, but I've defiantly seen videos of people free roaming. Doesn't look like there's shit to do in free roam, but it's there.

Yes, you are correct. There is free driving mode (pressing triangle when the option shows up). And it's mostly if not completely for exploratory purposes.

Anyway, one thing that disappoints me is the screen cap feature. Severely limited. Would have preferred if it were either like Blur or Wipeout HD

bridegur

Shinjitsu said:

Oh, I know there's free roaming, it's just that you can't access a map of the world while doing so, like in Burnout Paradise. You also can't access free roaming online, which makes me wonder why they even bothered to put it in the game.

FatBaby

I just want to pop in and say that the autolog is fucking amazing. Every racing game needs to have this feature as far as I am concerned. So damn addicting.

AdamMPSP

Autolog is still down for me on the 360, as is multiplayer of any kind. Guess I'll go to bed and see what it's like tomorrow. Still love the game, though.

Holy fu_king shit at the Wii version.

The videos of it make it look like a high-resolution N64 game.

How is it possible that Wii games have gotten WORSE looking in the four years the system has been out? Who did EA hire to do the Wii version, Sunsoft?

UFRA

Pandemic said:

What a poor excuse for a news article.

I can vouch for the PS3 version at least...

The NFS: Shift 2 trailer is a ONE-TIME forced trailer. After you view it the ONE time in the beginning of the game, you NEVER see it again unless you CHOOSE to see it in the Extras menu.

I hate articles like this. The guy is trying to get some hits on his website by stirring up some issues that aren't really issues.

If you were forced to watch it every time you booted up the game, I'd understand how this would be bad. But who gives a damn really? If you buy a new Blu-Ray movie, some movies require you to watch some BS crap before you ever get to your movie.

Mar

UFRA said:
But who gives a damn really? If you buy a new Blu-Ray movie, some movies require you to watch some BS crap before you ever get to your movie.

I stopped buying movies on retail discs for this very reason. I care. A lot.

UFRA

Mar said:
I stopped buying movies on retail discs for this very reason. I care. A lot.

But this trailer is only a one-time thing...unlike movies which can have permanant unskippable things. Perhaps I chose a bad example.

Mar

UFRA said:
But this trailer is only a one-time thing...unlike movies which can have permanant unskippable things. Perhaps I chose a bad example.

Yeah, I can live with a once off. But when will this end? I wouldn't be surprised if most EA games get advertised at the front of their games now. Once only or not, it's intrusive and insulting.

But yes, here I'll let this slide.

UFRA

Mar said:
Yeah, I can live with a once off. But when will this end? I wouldn't be surprised if most EA games get advertised at the front of their games now. Once only or not, it's intrusive and insulting.

But yes, here I'll let this slide.

I do agree with you on that.

The fact that it's unskippable, even the one time, is a bit insulting. Simply showing the trailer one time, AND allowing it to be skipped would be more respectful to us as consumers. I wouldn't have any problem with this at all.

If I liked an EA/Criterion game, I may like this other game they're suggesting to me. However, I shouldn't be forced to view it.

I just don't see a need for a news article on this yet. It's a one-time thing. Notice the article never mentioned that. It seems like they have an agenda, and want to ruffle some feathers. They make it sound like you have to watch this trailer every time and how it's the beginning of the end for advertisement-free gaming.

Shinjitsu

Banned
The ad thing could be worse. Anyone remember the load time extending Wipeout HD Fury ads? That was something to complain about, this is not.

aristotle

So I bought this game yesterday. I never got around to playing the demo. I loaded the demo yesterday after getting home and now it says the demo has ended. I don't want to open this game yet because I'm not sure if I'll like it. I loved BO:p. I know some of the impressions are that there is nothing to do in free-roam (Criterion may fix this later with an add-on or free update like BO:p). Is the handling the same or have they changed is completely?

Also: did Gamestop have specific pre-order goodies? I forgot to ask for my code when I picked mine up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
aristotle said:
So I bought this game yesterday. I never got around to playing the demo. I loaded the demo yesterday after getting home and now it says the demo has ended. I don't want to open this game yet because I'm not sure if I'll like it. I loved BO:p. I know some of the impressions are that there is nothing to do in free-roam (Criterion may fix this later with an add-on or free update like BO:p). Is the handling the same or have they changed is completely?

Also: did Gamestop have specific pre-order goodies? I forgot to ask for my code when I picked mine up.
The demo wasn't great and actually gave a bad impression. Most people here seem to agree that the full game is much better than the demo indicated.

aristotle

dark10x said:
The demo wasn't great and actually gave a bad impression. Most people here seem to agree that the full game is much better than the demo indicated.

Well I know that the BO:p demo wasn't well received (I liked it anyway). It just confuses me that the demo no longer works at all. I want to know about how it handles as that will ultimately make me keep it or return it. With GT5 coming out next week (I know it's not arcadey which is why I liked the last BO game), I want to figure out if they changed much. I know Criterion's track record with DLC so I'm not worried about longevity.

I just want to know how it handles in regards to BO:p and if GS had exclusive pre-order stuff.

dark10x

aristotle said:
Well I know that the BO:p demo wasn't well received (I liked it anyway). It just confuses me that the demo no longer works at all. I want to know about how it handles as that will ultimately make me keep it or return it. With GT5 coming out next week (I know it's not arcadey which is why I liked the last BO game), I want to figure out if they changed much. I know Criterion's track record with DLC so I'm not worried about longevity.

I just want to know how it handles in regards to BO:p and if GS had exclusive pre-order stuff.
It's a bit different from BO:p. There is a bit more weight to the cars and much more variation between the different models (or so I've found).

The progression is more like that of the older Burnout games, but with even more variety.

In terms of realism vs arcade feel, this game is somewhere in the middle with a slant towards the arcade. Similar to PGR, perhaps? More arcadey than that, but similar.

It feels different at first, but it's pretty easy to warm up to it. The track design is very different from Burnout Paradise and focuses more on sweeping turns and long straight aways with lots of shortcuts. In other words, much more Burnout 3/Revenge than Burnout Paradise.

It's definitely a hybrid game. It has an NFS flavor with a lot of Burnout mixed in. It's a great game and definitely worth playing.

aristotle

dark10x said:
It's a bit different from BO:p. There is a bit more weight to the cars and much more variation between the different models (or so I've found).

The progression is more like that of the older Burnout games, but with even more variety.

In terms of realism vs arcade feel, this game is somewhere in the middle with a slant towards the arcade. Similar to PGR, perhaps? More arcadey than that, but similar.

It feels different at first, but it's pretty easy to warm up to it. The track design is very different from Burnout Paradise and focuses more on sweeping turns and long straight aways with lots of shortcuts. In other words, much more Burnout 3/Revenge than Burnout Paradise.

It's definitely a hybrid game. It has an NFS flavor with a lot of Burnout mixed in. It's a great game and definitely worth playing.

I think you helped make the decision to keep it. Thanks! I hope Criterion adds in stuff to do during free roam though. Otherwise, it's just a wasted feature.

Lots of fun to be had in 8-player Hot Pursuit mode last night, trying trying to figure out if I prefer being a cop or a racer, both are fun. I think the cops have the more difficult job though.

Pachimari

Can anyone with Hot Pursuit add me to your friendlists?
I gotta test out the Autolog Wall with my review copy.

PSN ID: Anastacio.

PS3 version by the way.

RedStep

bridegur said:

-No jumps

281sg7s.jpg

This game just got better.

Pandemic said:

Movie theaters and DVDs/Blu-Rays/VHS Tapes have been doing this for years. It's a 2-minute preview that plays once, who fucking cares?

Game is getting harder. I am guessing there is no difficulty that you can set.

Some of those preview races, I'm having a hard time to get gold on them. Will only be able to make it to silver because I keep hitting the fence etc.

glaurung said:
They're the same. Head to lensoftruth.com for a demo comparison.

Or Eurogamer.

I love the online integration with friends lists. For the demo I had 8 people on there. The problem is, if I buy this game now, I'll have a little bit of time until next week hits and from then on, will I still play it? Hmmm.

I still want to though.

Kingpen

Can anyone give a comparison of Hot Pursuit against Midnight Club LA?
Just looking for opinions about comparing the 1p game against each.

Thanks

dark10x

Kingpen said:
Can anyone give a comparison of Hot Pursuit against Midnight Club LA?
Just looking for opinions about comparing the 1p game against each.

Thanks
They are not really the same at all. MCLA is an open world racing game with a large city layout full of intersections and events. Hot Pursuit is much more straight forward like a pre-Paradise Burnout game or the non-open world NFS games.

Tim-E

I really want this game, but I need all the extra money I have for Christmas this year. :( I'll likely buy it on GamersGate once Christmas is over.

see5harp

Gary Whitta said:
Least favorite game mode so far: the speed runs where you get penalized time for every collision with the side of the road. Not fun at all, particularly when you're given the ultra high-end cop cars that handle like shit.

This X1000

Another thing I've noticed is that when you're on the road trying to rack up near misses, it almost feels like the cars get attracted to cars automatically. It's hard to explain but it's sorta like autoaim in a FPS. I actually love the Hot Pursuit events, but some of the time trials are really tough in this game.

Oneself

This game is awesome. Finally a NFS I enjoy (it's been a long ride since 2002:lol ). It's not "that much" better than the demo but it does feel more responsive and that changes everything.
Visually, the tracks in the demo were pretty much the worst looking parts of the game and the overall presentation definitely helps to make things better.
The "Autolog" MUST be a part of games to come as it makes everything feel more competitive .. it's like an hybrid of "facebook" for online gaming in fact... It's also a great way to compete online with friends when you don't have much time for online games. I sure don't have the time and this feature suits me perfectly.

The progression feels like Burnout 3 (IMO it's a good thing) and you're always unlocking stuff race after race. For those wondering, it doesn't feel like an open world game, it's way more focused. The fact that all tracks are part of one big map just makes things more realistic/coherent... kinda like Burnout 3 again but taken further.
Other than that, I did have good old flashbacks of Chase HQ & Cruisn' USA while playing (again, just good things for me) and the photo mode is a good diversion, just don't expect GT5 features in that mode though.

Top Bottom