• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Erebus

Omiee said:
ok i put it on true and saved it, what does it change..?
i have a GTX 470 and although i get 60fps at max i want to have AA and nvidia control panel wont let me, is there any other option for me..?
not just for this but for overal, a good programme that lets me force AA and stuff
In a nutshell anisotropic filtering improves the image quality of the textures in the distance.

As of now I haven't been able to find a way to force AA. I've searched on various forums but no one seems to know. Consequently, if you have an nVidia card you're out of luck for the moment.

BO Paradise had an excessively exaggerated sense of speed. This has a bit more realistic sense of speed, not necessarily worse.
It still doesn't feel right to me. Perhaps I have become too accustomed to BO after all the hours I've spent with that game.

Question, have you guys been able to perform any takedowns on rival cars (not cop cars)? I've only managed to takedown one car and I played for a whole hour or so. It's not as easy as in Paradise apparently.

see5harp

TheBrain76 said:
So if I use the online pass on my PS3 does that mean I can't play online if I take the game to my brother's house?
I don't play sports games so I'm not sure how this works exactly.

It will allow each gamertag or PSN name redeem a 2 day trial. I'm guessing that they are tying the codes to you name instead of the consoles so you should be fine assuming you login with your name/pass on your brothers system. On 360 you just put your profile on a usb.

see5harp

DarkUSS said:
Question, have you guys been able to perform any takedowns on rival cars (not cop cars)? I've only managed to takedown one car and I played for a whole hour or so. It's not as easy as in Paradise apparently.

It's not as easy but when they start giving you weapons and the cops start putting up road blocks you can take them out a little easier.

Erebus

isamu said:
Well guys, I was honestly going to buy the PC version of this game, but after some research around the net and after hearing impressions on it from a friend, I"m gonna pass this up unless one of you can convince me otherwise. Here is a small litany of reasons I'm leaning towards skipping this title:

1)While playing the game, if you do something that EA considers "extraordinary" or "spectacular", it switches to these annoying cut-scenes that you cannot skip, and it often ruins your immersion of the race. I heard Burnout Paradise and some other NFS games had this issue and well, that is something I know would drive me up the wall.

2)PC version has NO fucking force feedback steering wheel support of any kind. In this day and age? And especially when Shift has it? Are you fucking kidding me Criterion???? My jaw is still on the floor over this one guys. Utterly despicable!!!

3)As mentioned above, no anti-aliasing. Not a bug deal, but C'mon, that's pathetic.

4)Not avaivable on Steam. *sigh*....need I say more?

There's more stuff but I just can't be bothered ATM.
1. Yes, every Burnout game had those. But I can't see how they're such a big deal as they only last a couple of seconds and occur whenever you crash your car or take down a rival.

2. PC version here and I'm sure I saw a force feedback setting somewhere. I don't have a wheel to test it though.

3. It's pathetic indeed. Hopefully it will get fixed soon with a patch or new drivers.

Gary Whitta said:
Reminded me of Cruisin' USA :lol :lol :lol

My 360 version is out for delivery, come on UPS!

If anyone wants to play online, my gamertag is Whitta. Gonna flush out my friends list to make room for new people now.
Ill add you to my FL. Been playing the online mode and its so awesome. Action packed. I cant wait to get the hyper cars which will be ridiculously fast.:lol Autolog is pretty neat.

Kingpen

Can anyone compare the single player portion of this against a title such as Midnight Club: LA?

I consider midnight_club to be the best pure arcade racer on next gen (it is different then burnout for different reasons) and it probably would compare similar to Hot Pursuit because of the presence of the cop chases...

chris121580 said:
:lol This can't be a serious post. You really want cut scenes and a story in a racing game? Come on

Don't forget, most of those terrible NFS games sold pretty well. Someone had to be eating that stuff up.

see5harp

Gary Whitta said:

If anyone wants to play online, my gamertag is Whitta. Gonna flush out my friends list to make room for new people now.

Come on Whitta northern Cali unite!

Omiee

more screens

205353a.jpg

28jwdoh.jpg

ascully

Well I really like the cheesy cut-scenes (Razor Callahan & the like) and they seem to be omitted here, they also lost the obligatory hot chick. I know this is a racing game but it was never meant to be a sim like Forza & GT, all the aforementioned things were what made NFS different.

forcing AA in AMD CCC thing definately works.

r26s2f.png
24q5lr6.png

for the blind enough not to see jaggies and yet sighted enough to read, the left one has 4xMSAA forced on and the right one has application settings.

Amir0x

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
HOLY SHIT I just saw the Wii version.

WTF is that shit? I think any old console or PSN/XBLA can do better than that.

Not that I care about the Wii version but seriously, what the FUCK!

For those who haven't seen the Wii version here is a link for the gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tUt_vB0aU

of course PSN/XBLA can do better than that. PSN/XBLA games can be as good as full blown titles if they want to be.

Amir0x

Banned
ascully said:
Playing on the PC, I was excited to play a Criterion Developed NFS. It feels a lot like Burnout when drifting but the game has no personality at all. No cutscenes, no story, nothing, just race after race and a levelling system. Quite dissapointed.

GAF is so hilarious lately. "no story in a Need for Speed game, how disappointing!" :lol <3 GAF

plagiarize said:
i cried at the end when he saved the baby lamb from the sixteen wheeler.

the monologue the Modified R165 ST had when the Limited R190 DX crashed for its last time was truly heart warming

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Gary Whitta said:

I'm adding you now. :D

iNvid02

when has NFS ever really had a story :lol

I did like the 10 blacklist racers, those cops, random chick who digs you but it was nothing major, and i'd be happy without it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I bet next fall, after Hot Pursuit and the new Shift in the spring, we'll get another story-based NFS where you take on Razor Callahan after he busts out of jail in a laundry truck secretly fitted with nitrous.

iNvidious01 said:
when has NFS ever really had a story :lol
Underground and Most Wanted both made some effort. Not much though.

I like it when games have some kind of narrative context. I loved the radio station announcer in SSX3 giving you reports from around the mountain and the similar color elements in Burnout 3. I know some people find that irritating but I really like it.

twinturbo2 said:
Whitta, I sent you a message on XBL, add me when you free some space up on your friends list. :D
Added :)

Omiee

plagiarize said:
forcing AA in AMD CCC thing definately works.

r26s2f.png
24q5lr6.png

for the blind enough not to see jaggies and yet sighted enough to read, the left one has 4xMSAA forced on and the right one has application settings.

i want this for nvidia driversssssssssssssssss

OneLetter

UPS just delivered my 360 copy - can't wait to get home and see how much better it is than the demo. If anyone wants to play, XBL Gamertag is the same as my username.

Guileless

Carbon, Undercover, and ProStreet have stories too. The constant in all of the story-based NFS games is a hot girl who is at first dismissive of you but warms up as you win races. I will say that Undercover's portrayal of law enforcement and the legal system is naive at best.

Guileless

I'll be damned. Every NFS from 2003 until last year (Shift) had a story. So a kid introduced to the series with Underground could very well take exception to the lack of story.

dwebo

Well, no G27 support at least. Restarted my ps3, plugged in the G27, powered on via console switch. Couldn't get past the press start screen, so I had to turn on a controller. No options in the menu. Started the first career race... and yeah, nothing.

It was weird, struggled to get past fourth for most of the first race (after starting a few seconds after everyone else :lol ), and then blasted past every other car in the last mile. Hey, I'm not complaining.

Also, it's annoying to have to sync up to autolog every time you boot up, since it takes a good 10-20 seconds and the disc seeking noise while it does it is absurd.

stuminus3

I can't believe this isn't on Steam. I don't have a DVD drive in my PC any more, and I'd rather cut my own balls off than buy something directly from the EA store. I'll be fucked if I'm paying the "console tax" for the 360/PS3 version, either.

Sorry to shit up the OP with my moaning but I was kind of looking forward to this.

stuminus3 said:
I can't believe this isn't on Steam. I don't have a DVD drive in my PC any more, and I'd rather cut my own balls off than buy something directly from the EA store. I'll be fucked if I'm paying the "console tax" for the 360/PS3 version, either.

Sorry to shit up the OP with my moaning but I was kind of looking forward to this.
Hey I'm with you. If a PC game's not available on Steam it might as well not exist IMO.

Mar

I heard a nasty rumour there's an unskippable trailer for another game at the start of NFS HP. Is it once only or every time you start the game?

This is important to me. I stopped buying movies because of that crap, I'll do the same for games. Even though NFS is my most anticipated game of the year I won't play it if this is true.

Erebus

Mar said:
I heard a nasty rumour there's an unskippable trailer for another game at the start of NFS HP. Is it once only or every time you start the game?

This is important to me. I stopped buying movies because of that crap, I'll do the same for games. Even though NFS is my most anticipated game of the year I won't play it if this is true.
Who spreads this crap?

First time you start the game only.

Mar

DarkUSS said:
Who spreads this crap?

First time you start the game only.

Jeff Gerstmann via twitter.

Thanks for clarifying. I can live with once only. Back on the hype train.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
What the?!?! This is already out? Oh. My. God.

Criterion goodnessssss come to meeee. Will buy PS3 version and double dip on PC if it's that good

UFRA

Mar said:
Jeff Gerstmann via twitter.

Thanks for clarifying. I can live with once only. Back on the hype train.

The full game actually starts up faster than the demo. The demo actually has more cut scene crap in the startup.

DarkUSS said:
Yeah pretty hard.

see5harp

UFRA said:
The full game actually starts up faster than the demo. The demo actually has more cut scene crap in the startup.

Well every time you start a new mode including the basic races for cops/racers you get what I thought was an unskippable cutscene. It isn't a deal breaker, but it is a little strange as most of that stuff doesn't really need explaining or context.

UFRA

see5harp said:
Well every time you start a new mode including the basic races for cops/racers you get what I thought was an unskippable cutscene. It isn't a deal breaker, but it is a little strange as most of that stuff doesn't really need explaining or context.

Right, but that's only first-time stuff as well. After a couple hours of playing the game you'll pretty much have all of the basic stuff introduced to you, and therefore no more tutorials.

Top Bottom