• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

markao

DarkUSS said:
Nah, nHancer is outdated and isn't supported by the new nvidia drivers at all.
Ah, did not know that, thats a shame (sorry for the false hope Omiee :( )

Let's hope nVidia will update their drivers quickly, something they normally do rather well.

Omiee

markao said:
Ah, did not know that, thats a shame (sorry for the false hope Omiee :( )

Let's hope nVidia will update their drivers quickly, something they normally do rather well.

they updated their drivers last week i think to 260.99 but nhancer doesnt work for me.
is there any other programme cuz nvidia control pannel doesnt always work.

dark10x said:
Does it actually display all 100 cars at once? If they are simply staggered (so that you only see a smaller group at any one time), then you're talking about something entirely different.

Sounds like buying the console version was the right move then. If I can have a perfect 60 fps 100% of the time, I'll take a rock solid 30. Those types of dips in PC ports drive me crazy.

Well he's playing at 1200p and seems to be GPU bound. Sounds like dropping the resolution to match the console version would yield a perfect 60fps with little issue, even with AA forced.

one hell of a game here guys.. im loving this baby on the PC. I went with the PC version since it was less expensive plus i had a little credit left on my card after i had returned another pc game a while back without receipt. Anyways... the game is damn good. Very challenging and the visuals at times are breath taking.

one thing i must admit is the AA dont clean up everything like it should although AA definitely works when using your video card settings ..it just seems its not as effective as it could be ..or as it is with other games but regardless..the game is a nice looking game.

Im running it on a Q6600 Quad @ 3.4ghz OC. AMD 5850 1GB Card, 4GB ram OC'd and i get a steady 55-60 at all times. It runs well on my setup even with everything jacked up x4AA, X16AF and wired usb 360 gamepad works as plug and play, nice.

If you liked burnout games you will like this game obviously..its definitely your arcade racer. The sense of speed thing that i see a few bitch about is nothing to bitch about..the game runs silky smooth and plays like a dream :D

Teknoman

dwebo said:
One's an arcade racer, one's a sim racer. You should know which kind of driving game you want :lol

:lol Thats the problem. I like both styles, but i'm going to go for only one racing game for now, and wanted to choose one with a nicely populated community.

I'll figure it out eventually, but both games just look great for what they do.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
im REALLY trying to like this game. I just absolutely cannot stand the controls, the AI or pretty much anything outside of the visuals. Im only about an hour or so into it so I'll hope it gets better

maks

Mr.Potato Head said:
one hell of a game here guys.. im loving this baby on the PC. I went with the PC version since it was less expensive plus i had a little credit left on my card after i had returned another pc game a while back without receipt. Anyways... the game is damn good. Very challenging and the visuals at times are breath taking.

one thing i must admit is the AA dont clean up everything like it should although AA definitely works when using your video card settings ..it just seems its not as effective as it could be ..or as it is with other games but regardless..the game is a nice looking game.

Im running it on a Q6600 Quad @ 3.4ghz OC. AMD 5850 1GB Card, 4GB ram OC'd and i get a steady 55-60 at all times. It runs well on my setup even with everything jacked up x4AA, X16AF and wired usb 360 gamepad works as plug and play, nice.

If you liked burnout games you will like this game obviously..its definitely your arcade racer. The sense of speed thing that i see a few bitch about is nothing to bitch about..the game runs silky smooth and plays like a dream :D

nice to hear. I got the same setup but with 2gb ram. Hopefully i will be ok

Here's some screenshots of mine i took .. just wanted to show you all what my setup looks like when running X4 AA and X16 AF. Like i said in the earlier post..im getting constant stable 55-60 fps..it does dip a tad below 55fps but its not noticeable what so ever.

Setup.

Q6600 Quad@ 3.4 GHz, AMD 5850 stock, 4gb ram, 1366x768 .. on a Panasonic Plasma 50inch .. the jaggies are not that bad at all but everyone is different when it comes to jaggies...although this game is kinda weird in that forcing AA works for some parts in the game and not others...i dont know, it dont bother me though.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Stallion Free said:
NV Inspector works great in place of Nhancer. It's like a manlier version of it.

Hopefully someone figures out this AA nonsense.

Its worth noting that the 2xmsaa in the 360 version only applies to the cars, the environments are completely bereft of AA.

The reason? The cars are forward rendered and the environments are deferred rendered.

I'm surprised anyone has got AA working in the PC version at all. Is the AA applying to the environments as well, plagarize?

Edit: Aha, looks like the exact same thing is happening in the PC version. Ignore the overhead wires, that's not AA, they're just rendered in some funky way.

brain_stew said:
Its worth noting that the 2xmsaa in the 360 version only applies to the cars, the environments are completely bereft of AA.

The reason? The cars are forward rendered and the environments are deferred rendered.

I'm surprised anyone has got AA working in the PC version at all. Is the AA applying to the environments as well, plagarize?
Thats what it is man.. i just edited my post above yours.. you can see that what your saying is true in the pc version as well.. look at the last few of my screenies.

Mr.Potato Head said:
Thats what it is man.. i just edited my post above yours.. you can see that what your saying is true in the pc version as well.. look at the last few of my screenies.

Yeah, thanks for the screens. They clear up a lot of mysteries.

Can't say I'm too impressed with the performance level though.

brain_stew said:

Edit: Aha, looks like the exact same thing is happening in the PC version. Ignore the overhead wires, that's not AA, they're just rendered in some funky way.
yeah. looks that way. it's hard to say for certain though, because the lighting conditions change, but there are differences on other edges in my screens. i wouldn't say one looks better than the other, but there is definately something happening.

2q9awzd.png
2qddez8.png

AA enabled on the left. some edges look untouched, but the right side of the telegraph pole, and the railing have certainly had *something* done to them.

Erebus

They both look awful if you ask me. Plus, even if there are differences they're so petty that you won't even notice when you play.

ElyrionX

I didn't like the demo especially the handling and the music.

The thing about the handling is, I actually like the way the cars powerslide through turns but on straights, they felt like I was driving on ice and it was way too twitchy. Is that any different in the full game?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Played for a couple of hours on 360. I take a nostalgia backseat to no one, and the first two HP games are among my favorite arcade racers. It ticks the boxes I was looking for as a fan of HP games: driving exotic cars in varied picturesque environments, dodging roadblocks and spike strips, running down speeders as a cop. I enjoy these things. No slowing down for plot cut scenes or spending space bucks on a new muffler either.

I didn't play Burnout Paradise, so I can't comment on how fans of that game will take to this one.

The licensed music is heinous. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

DryvBy

*Edit: Just saw the link!* I want to fully use this autolog. The 1 friend I have on my list who actually plays this is just not cutting it. Need some new PSN Friends ASAP!

DryvBy on PSN, if you dare!

Bizzyb

Banned
Wii version is embarrassingly bad looking. There are 6 year old Gamecube racers that look miles better than that shit.

I seriously can't believe Nintendo has no quality standards when it comes to these things. You would NEVER see Sony or MS allow such filth on their consoles.

Anyways I'm sure this is why Matt and Bozon stopped reviewing games for Wi and left altogether. 3rd party developers in general have just said "fuck the Wii" and it's games like this that prove it. Supporting a console like that has to take some kind of toll on you.

I hope Nintendo gets their shit together next gen.

U2NUMB

Really enjoying the game so far but damn it why can I not connect to the EA servers... 90% of the game can not be accessed when you can not connect.

Bizzyb said:
Wii version is embarrassingly bad looking. There are 6 year old Gamecube racers that look miles better than that shit.

I seriously can't believe Nintendo has no quality standards when it comes to these things. You would NEVER see Sony or MS allow such filth on their consoles.

Anyways I'm sure this is why Matt and Bozon stopped reviewing games for Wi and left altogether. 3rd party developers in general have just said "fuck the Wii" and it's games like this that prove it. Supporting a console like that has to take some kind of toll on you.

I hope Nintendo gets their shit together next gen.
More specifically, if Criterion had just slapped Burnout 3, or even 2(which was on GC, and had 480P widescreen support), would look better than what we have now.

Least favorite game mode so far: the speed runs where you get penalized time for every collision with the side of the road. Not fun at all, particularly when you're given the ultra high-end cop cars that handle like shit.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Mr.Potato Head said:

Just old Burnout games? The only one I played was Paradise. Isn't this much more linear? I liked the open world of Paradise with the variety of stuff to do. I'm starting to think I wouldn't enjoy this.

dwebo

I was going to reserve judgment on the handling until I unlocked some faster cars, but luckily, there's a Zonda (Cinque Roadster) preview event early on in the racer career.

... and it still doesn't quite feel right. I won every event in Burnout Paradise, and I'm fairly confident I would've handled a high-end car from that game much better on a similar course layout in BP's engine. Instead, it was a chore just dodging around single cars along a two lane straightaway - what should've been simple, slight lateral adjustments instead careen your car quite wildly. We'll see I guess, but the game isn't doing much to dispel my original demo impressions.

dwebo said:
I was going to reserve judgment on the handling until I unlocked some faster cars, but luckily, there's a Zonda (Cinque Roadster) preview event early on in the racer career.

... and it still doesn't quite feel right. I won every event in Burnout Paradise, and I'm fairly confident I would've handled a high-end car from that game much better on a similar course layout in BP's engine. Instead, it was a chore just dodging around single cars along a two lane straightaway - what should've been simple, slight lateral adjustments instead careen your car quite wildly. We'll see I guess, but the game isn't doing much to dispel my original demo impressions.
I've noticed the same thing, the higher end cars in the preview events are all over the fucking road.

ICallItFutile said:
Just old Burnout games? The only one I played was Paradise. Isn't this much more linear? I liked the open world of Paradise with the variety of stuff to do. I'm starting to think I wouldn't enjoy this.
That's my first and only complaint for now. The Freeroam section is void of anything to do other than to admire the scenery and find shortcuts.

I can totally see them adding that in as DLC, but as of now, it's not much content when it comes to open world driving.

Gary Whitta said:
Least favorite game mode so far: the speed runs where you get penalized time for every collision with the side of the road. Not fun at all, particularly when you're given the ultra high-end cop cars that handle like shit.

This x1000. I'm a little crazy about getting a gold medal before going on to the next challenge, and having to restart a race 20+ times before I get the absolute perfect run is awful. If it restarted in a second like Meat Boy I would be more forgiving, but the restart time is pretty bad.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
AlphaTwo00 said:
That's my first and only complaint for now. The Freeroam section is void of anything to do other than to admire the scenery and find shortcuts.

I can totally see them adding that in as DLC, but as of now, it's not much content when it comes to open world driving.

That doesn't sound very promising. :\ I don't want to have to pay DLC just to enjoy the game. I get bored of just straight racing pretty quickly.

ICallItFutile said:
That doesn't sound very promising. :\ I don't want to have to pay DLC just to enjoy the game. I get bored of just straight racing pretty quickly.
It's sadly the part that basically was done as a concession to people who wanted just track racing and no free-roaming... can't win them all, I guess.

AdamMPSP

I put in around 4 or 5 hours today, and I love it, you guys. I'm a big Burnout: Paradise fan, so I thought I would miss the open-world, and well, I do, but there are enough awesome things to keep me enjoying stuff.

I have a couple of weird complaints: I unlock a new car every race. Sometimes a couple cars each race. Kind of makes the unlocking seem pointless, if I only drive a car for one race before moving onto a newer model. I'm exaggerating, but still, seems strange.

But obviously, that's barely a complaint. I didn't like the demo, but I love the full game. Played a few matches online, and it was an exhilarating time. Real fun. I'm addicted. Had to force myself to stop. Love the variety in gameplay. There are so many strategies to think of during the races, as you pass other races while trying to take down the popo. Real fun.

I've only really played online so far. It's pretty fun, though I don't know if it has staying power.

If anyone is on PSN, feel free to add me: Absoludacrous.

Need some autolog competition!

dwebo

Also, time penalties for hitting the wall in cop time trials? Maybe it makes sense in terms of differentiating the two career paths, but it sure as hell isn't fun, especially coupled with the poor handling that makes it almost impossible to not bounce around during corners / shortcuts. Nobody wants to drive around carefully!

edit: didn't notice Gary already complained a few posts earlier. Clearly, we see eye to eye on this game :lol

Gary Whitta said:
This right here, enjoying my play through then having to play these are a fucking bitch. Ive restarted these the most.

Online hot pursuit is definitely a lot of fun with four cops vs four racers. Just played a game like that where it was down to one remaining racer and I was the only cop left with a chance of catching him, the other three had been left in the dust. Chased the guy relentlessly for the last couple of miles, he had critical damage and I finally busted him when he was within sight of the finish line, just a few hundred yards to go. So awesome :lol

UFRA

I haven't had this much fun playing online with my buddies in a long time. Just constant laughs and having a blast.

Even losing is still fun and awesome.

Really addicted, and so impressed. PS3 mics are a bit choppy, but I trust that Criterion will patch it.

110% better than the crappy demo.

Top Bottom