• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

REV 09

Played for about an hour. The retail release is much better than the demo. It looks better and drives a little tighter or something...it just feels more polished. The campaign seems very open. There are multiple races to choose from without getting locked in to a series of long races (so far). It definitely isn't an open world game like paradise. You can drive around, but the structure of the game isn't built on driving from one race to the next.

I disliked the demo, but I'm digging the full game so far.

Argyle

caligula13 said:
so, how is it in 3D?
I have the PS3 version and a 3d television, and I have no idea. If it supports 3d as they had announced, I can't find the option to turn it on. Anyone know if the feature ended up getting cut?

Error1355

sweetvar26 said:
HOLY SHIT I just saw the Wii version.

WTF is that shit? I think any old console or PSN/XBLA can do better than that.

Not that I care about the Wii version but seriously, what the FUCK!

For those who haven't seen the Wii version here is a link for the gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tUt_vB0aU

Holy shit that's horrible.

Then again it's the first non-handheld game that Exient Entertainment ever created!

Edit: Hell, it's the first non-sports game they made too.

I have a problem. I am an autolog addict. ;)

Seriously, I couldn't stop. I finished an event 35 bounty points shy of promotion to rank 3 officer, played the very first (20-odd second) cop event to rank up, then had to try out the new Maserati I unlocked. FOR 30 FULL MINUTES of Freeroam! Then I went back to a race to shut down some speeders and I beat my personal best time (by a whopping 20 seconds, in the same car, putting me 3 seconds away from 1st on the speedwall) because I sat ten extra feet away from the TV and could see everything I was doing. But sitting up close (8 ft) to a 52" screen was incredibly immersive.

Pandemic said:

I don't use steam, so I don't understand why people in the forums are avoiding the game competely because of something so seemingly small. If you want a download, get it from the EA Store. But don't deprive yourself of such an amazing experience because you can't buy it in your most preferred way.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Nintendo Playstation said:
I don't use steam, so I don't understand why people in the forums are avoiding the game competely because of something so seemingly small. If you want a download, get it from the EA Store. But don't deprive yourself of such an amazing experience because you can't buy it in your most preferred way.

Well there you go.

Most games on the EA store use the stupid 3-5 activation limit then you are boned, steam does not.

Shinjitsu said:
Well there you go.

Most games on the EA store use the stupid 3-5 activation limit then you are boned, steam does not.
That's acceptable, I suppose. Then again, I've been lucky and never had a problem with activating anything. But I stand by my statement, don't miss this great game completely. Buy it for a console, even secondhand if you don't want to support the devs... (I'm aware of the online access limits)

But thanks for the enlightenment, sincerely.

Wow multiplayer in this game is terrible. Can't race with a friend against the AI, but that's to be expected in this day and age. What's worse is with no party system you have to hope to get into a game with a couple free slots and then invite your friend/s in as quick as you can before they get filled. And then even if by some miracle you and your friends all get into a match, the game splits you up among the two teams (cops/racers) randomly so it's unlikely you'll be on the same side. WTF.

Criterion really screwed the pooch with this one, it's embarrassing really. I'll just be sticking to single player unless by some miracle they improve the multi player.

see5harp

Neuromancer said:
Wow multiplayer in this game is terrible. Can't race with a friend against the AI, but that's to be expected in this day and age. What's worse is with no party system you have to hope to get into a game with a couple free slots and then invite your friend/s in as quick as you can before they get filled. And then even if by some miracle you and your friends all get into a match, the game splits you up among the two teams (cops/racers) randomly so it's unlikely you'll be on the same side. WTF.

Criterion really screwed the pooch with this one, it's embarrassing really. I'll just be sticking to single player unless by some miracle they improve the multi player.

I noticed that too. Servers were also acting a little strange kicking people out randomly. Still, game is fun when it's working. I like that the single/multiplayer unlocks are all tied together.

Neuromancer said:

Can't you create a private match?

UFRA

johnny_park said:
Can't you create a private match?

Yeah you can.

The best way to ensure that your friends get into a public match with you is to first start a private match, invite your friends, and then use the "change access" feature and turn the room you're in to a public game. This won't ensure that you're on the same team, but it will ensure that you're in the same room together.

On PS3, it's the triangle button when you're in a private match.

I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer so far, but I can already feel a desire for AI cops or even AI racers for people to battle against online. That would be pretty damn fun.

Also a Free Drive mode online would be nice, even if there's no point...sometimes it's just fun to cruise around and chat with friends.

UFRA said:
I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer so far, but I can already feel a desire for AI cops or even AI racers for people to battle against online. That would be pretty damn fun.

Also a Free Drive mode online would be nice, even if there's no point...sometimes it's just fun to cruise around and chat with friends.
I need these, combined. Let me and a friend meet up online as cops, add 6 AI racers... and let the good times roll. Approach the suspect from behind, surround both sides, smash!

Do it, Criterion!

*goes back to unlocking new cars and annihilating previous speedwall times*

Pandemic

Got the game today, really enjoyed single player, but enjoyed multiplayer even more, Hot Pursuit mode is sooooo fun. :lol

Xater

Ok played the full version now and yeah this game is pretty awesome. Why does Criterion have such shitty demos?

vesp

Liking the game a lot but holy fuck do they leave about the worst first impression in a game ever.

YAY NEW GAME!

(Optional) Install to HD
Accept terms of use policy
create/login to EA account
enter 25 digit code with software keypad
forced to watch trailer for shift 2
long winded autolog explanation.

It was like a 20 minute process (including install) of sucking all the fun out of trying a new game for the first time. Luckily the game is right up my alley so the frustration did wear off after I got to start playing.

Mar

I posted this elsewhere but obviously it belongs here too.

The game is amazingly fun, which is nowhere near apparent from the demo. Immediately it becomes obvious that there are a large number of events and a large number of cars that vary significantly from one another.

The demo paints a picture of slow cars and two types of events, races and 'takedown' events. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact just about every event has been a different situation and I've put in quite a few hours now.

Another area that I was pleasantly surprised with is that there are lots more events than I initially believed there were. The roads may seem to be lacking in number but I've hardly played the same track twice, and every track has a large number of further completely different events associated that are unlocked later on.

Driving the different cars make entirely new experiences, with some so fast they are white knuckle all the way through, others slow and methodical. But to be sure there are less than interesting tracks with slow uninteresting cars. But those are very few and far between.

Occasionally there are events with stupidly fast cars like the Zonda or McLaren F1 that are exhilarating to the extreme.

Strangely, in some ways, this game reminds me of Road Rash. Long stretches of road where you barrel down as fast as you can until you wreck in spectacular fashion. I could almost hear Rob Hubbard's classic tunes playing in my head as I flew up and down the hills and through forests.

The multiplayer is a blast. Pretty much my entire time with the game was played with a friend in party chat, and him beating all my times as I set them (annoyingly. He's quite good at racing games). Then we hopped into the actual multiplayer modes and that was so enjoyable that eventually we had to just leave as we were both really tired. 8 player events with 4 cops and 4 racers was exciting for every second you were able to stay in the race. Heart breaking when you got taken out.

So, while I've only played around 4 hours so far, I'd say it's exceeded my expectations. Keeping in mind that those expectations were not "I want another Burnout Paradise", but "I'd like another really cool driving game that's goaty material". So far it's delivered on all fronts.

Gacha-pin

i-Lo said:
What the heck!? As I take pictures they go into the slot which can be viewed under photo from the first game menu. I only shared one but you are right in saying that those photos are only available after it connected to Autolog. After the two HD shots, I was forced to only use R3 snapshots as otherwise the game kept on proclaiming that the slots are full and I needed to delete images.

I thought it would save the images on the HDD.

According to the faq on criterion's site

Your photos are save in autolog cloud.

http://www.criteriongames.com/faq/

Where are Photos saved?

On the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Hot Pursuit, Photo's are automatically uploaded and stored in Autolog's cloud storage. On PC, the same is the case but we also write an uncompressed image saved to your Windows Pictures directory under "Criterion Games\Need For Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit".

Phloxy said:
Pretty sure 3d was announced for 3d vision on PC. Never heard of any 3d on console.

http://twitter.com/CriterionGames/statuses/16415961487

might be changed for PS3.

dk_

Just went to the EA board and I read that the PC version doesn't run with quad CPUs. Is that correct?

sfog

Error1355 said:
Holy shit that's horrible.

Then again it's the first non-handheld game that Exient Entertainment ever created!

Edit: Hell, it's the first non-sports game they made too.

No, they did the Wii/PS2 version of NFS Undercover back in 2008, although I seem to recall it being mediocre at best.

caligula13

Gold Member
Argyle said:
I have the PS3 version and a 3d television, and I have no idea. If it supports 3d as they had announced, I can't find the option to turn it on. Anyone know if the feature ended up getting cut?

strange, nobody is talking about the 3d being cut

crispyben

Did I have an hallucination about that SCPD Rebels DLC pack? Not a single mention on the whole web, not a reaction from you guys... Better get back home and boot the game to check! :D

Omiee

dk_ said:
Just went to the EA board and I read that the PC version doesn't run with quad CPUs. Is that correct?

i have a quad core pc and it runs realywell, there is just no aa with nvidia control panel or ingame

Gacha-pin

crispyben said:
Did I have an hallucination about that SCPD Rebels DLC pack? Not a single mention on the whole web, not a reaction from you guys... Better get back home and boot the game to check! :D

I think it just unlocks cars which you can earn in a career mode...

UFRA said:
Yeah you can.

The best way to ensure that your friends get into a public match with you is to first start a private match, invite your friends, and then use the "change access" feature and turn the room you're in to a public game. This won't ensure that you're on the same team, but it will ensure that you're in the same room together.

Oh thanks, that's very helpful.

Yes no AI cars to race against/bust is a kick in the balls as is no freedrive. Very disappointed in this game's multiplayer, very very disappointed.

vesp said:
Liking the game a lot but holy fuck do they leave about the worst first impression in a game ever.

YAY NEW GAME!

(Optional) Install to HD
Accept terms of use policy
create/login to EA account
enter 25 digit code with software keypad
forced to watch trailer for shift 2
long winded autolog explanation.

It was like a 20 minute process (including install) of sucking all the fun out of trying a new game for the first time. Luckily the game is right up my alley so the frustration did wear off after I got to start playing.
Yeah it's really bad. All the unskippable in-game movies were really irritating (not to mention they look like shit) but the Shift 2 trailer was fucking unacceptable. I agree, from disc in to play is about 20 minutes. Criterion ought to be ashamed of themselves for that nonsense.

Also the soundtrack is kind of terrible. Thankfully I have the NFS: High Stakes soundtrack to play instead, they don't make music like that anymore. Nowadays it's all just licensed shit.

Other than that, I am enjoying the single player cop campaign quite a lot. Being able to change your siren sound or turn it off was a nice touch as was being able to turn off your headlights at night.

I did run into one racer that was dropping spike strips, please tell me that does not become a common occurrence.

Man, what's the point of a soundtrack if you only hear it when doing Racer events and one or two of the Cop events?

I've been doing cop missions and playing online and half of the time I just get this cinematic music so I just mute my television and blast music I want to hear/opt for custom soundtrack playlists.

Cops like to listen to licensed music, too!

It should really be:

Game Soundtrack
Licensed Music
Playlists

Or something, what the hell.

bedlamite

Was pretty disappointed with the demo, but reading impressions of the retail release here are definitely pushing me towards a purchase. All I ever wanted from a Need For Speed game was to tear down long country roads in million-dollar cars at ludicrous speeds, just like in the early games. As long as car handling is improved from the boats-in-disguise I drove in the demo, I'll pick this up.

legbone

B-Dex said:
Seems the Hot Pursuit Servers are down for me. Xbox Live is fine but I can't connect to EA's servers.

they crapped out on me last night around 7pm eastern US time. i tried again 30 minutes later and nothing. sounds like they are still having issues today.

DasRaven

So far, my only complaint is that I can't "unassign" some controls.
I would really like to drop the "camera rotate u/d/l/r" and "skip music track" controls altogether.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I liked the "Flight of the Bumblebee" achivement, it made me chuckle. Now I need to unlock the SCPD Audi R8 to get the "Iron Man" achievement. :lol

see5harp

UFRA said:
Yeah you can.

I don't know....yes you can open the lobby up, but then you can't control what team you are on. I thought that's what he meant when you referred to a party system.

Xater

I remeber the GB guys mentioning during the Quicklook that the drivers disappear during the crashes. I just noticed that this doesn't happen with my European version, even with cabriolets. Would be interesting to know is they had to remove that from the US version to get their rating.

dexterslu

Jal said:
Aah, i've just deleted it.

Yeah, I don't know if they normally take demos down after release but this should have been taken down immediately after it became 'unplayable'

Played the game for a solid two hours last night - Criterion totally nails the sense of speed in all of their racing games and Hot Pursuit is no different, it's really wonderful really enjoying the autolog (something I thought I would hate) It's not overly intrusive but I kept going back to certain races to knock my friends off the leaderboards.

The multiplayer seems rather so-so thus far, I played about 5 matches and the cops always won.

Top Bottom