• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
AdamMPSP said:
I have a couple of weird complaints: I unlock a new car every race. Sometimes a couple cars each race. Kind of makes the unlocking seem pointless, if I only drive a car for one race before moving onto a newer model. I'm exaggerating, but still, seems strange.

It does seem like you unlock a Maserati for correctly backing out of your driveway. It's a long way from racing for 2 hours to get enough space bucks for a slightly faster Civic.

Bebpo

Banned
So how did the game turn out if you unplug your internet (no autolog, no multiplayer)? All I care about is the SP and none of the online business.

Bebpo said:
So how did the game turn out if you unplug your internet (not autolog, no multiplayer)? All I care about is the SP and none of the online business.
Lot's of races.

I haven't even tried the online component yet, and I get the occasional autolog challenge message, but outside of that, as many people have said, you can treat it like the old style Burnout 3 like mission structure.

Hawk SE

BobsRevenge said:
Does the PC version have a healthy multiplayer mode?

Yes it does. All the same as PS3/360. Only you have to "make" friends with people you already know rather than it pulling from a Friends List on console.

jergrah

Really enjoying the game - spent about an hour with it last night. The online 4 v 4 (Cops v Racers) is a blast. Reminds me of playing Red Races / Blue Chases back in Burnout 3.

I really wanted to EMP the cop helicopter but I just barely missed - curious if it will actually wreck. The last match I played, I had 2 cops right on my tail and I used the Power Boost or whatever its called (Up on the D-Pad) and it was like going into light speed :lol The distance does a bit of a blur, the sound kind of cuts and then it just takes off -- leaving the cops far away. Too bad as soon as it ended I turned a corner and slammed into a road block :)

Cant wait to dig back into the game tonight!

Xater

Ok I am caving in and I will get this tomorrow. Glowing reviews and good impression pushed me over. I really didn't like the demo but so far Criterion has been nothing but amazing when it comes to arcade racing. I think I'll trust "public" opinion on this one instead of my demo impressions.

Decado

UFRA said:
What a poor excuse for a news article.

I can vouch for the PS3 version at least...

The NFS: Shift 2 trailer is a ONE-TIME forced trailer. After you view it the ONE time in the beginning of the game, you NEVER see it again unless you CHOOSE to see it in the Extras menu.

I hate articles like this. The guy is trying to get some hits on his website by stirring up some issues that aren't really issues.

If you were forced to watch it every time you booted up the game, I'd understand how this would be bad. But who gives a damn really? If you buy a new Blu-Ray movie, some movies require you to watch some BS crap before you ever get to your movie.
That's what I figured, but honestly, it's still a shit move from EA. There is no reason we should have to waste our time on something like this just because we paid for their game :\

AdamMPSP

Decado said:
That's what I figured, but honestly, it's still a shit move from EA. There is no reason we should have to waste our time on something like this just because we paid for their game :\

As people who check videogame news sites everyday, I don't think we're who the trailer was targeting. I think that most people who buy a game called Need For Speed would be interested in seeing a pretty sweet trailer for the next Need For Speed game. I'm not saying that this doesn't set a bad precedent or that in the wrong hands it could turn really really bad, but I don't think that this is that bad of an implementation.

Honestly, I was much more upset by having to enter that stupid EA Online Pass code, which delayed me from getting into the game in a longer, much more boring way than the Shift 2 trailer did.

No45

Just watching the GB quick look. Is the rear-view mirror like that in the full game? I seem to recall it being like that in the demo, but I assumed it would be different in the full game.

Is there a reason it looks like that?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AdamMPSP said:
As people who check videogame news sites everyday, I don't think we're who the trailer was targeting. I think that most people who buy a game called Need For Speed would be interested in seeing a pretty sweet trailer for the next Need For Speed game. I'm not saying that this doesn't set a bad precedent or that in the wrong hands it could turn really really bad, but I don't think that this is that bad of an implementation.

Honestly, I was much more upset by having to enter that stupid EA Online Pass code, which delayed me from getting into the game in a longer, much more boring way than the Shift 2 trailer did.
That's actually how I feel about the situation. This sort of thing could go very badly in the future if abused, but the way it was handled in this game actually worked really well, I thought. Most people seem to be upset by the precedent this move sets rather than the actual implementation.

dwebo

No45 said:
Just watching the GB quick look. Is the rear-view mirror like that in the full game? I seem to recall it being like that in the demo, but I assumed it would be different in the full game.

The reason is probably some combination of a) it helps you identify trailing cars faster (for spike strips), and b) it's less graphically intensive (for consoles).

see5harp

No45 said:

I do think it makes the game easier to judge when to deploy spike strips, but honestly the sirens serve the same purpose. It looks extremely strange and unfinished to me, but maybe it was a design decision.

BobsRevenge said:
Does the PC version have a healthy multiplayer mode?
There really isn't a surefire way to tell since you either play with friends or you get assigned to games through matchmaking. It got me into a 4v4 game pretty quickly though.

i-Lo

Any word on why the picture taking mode only allows for 5 shots and only 2 of them being reserved for "Dream Shot"?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
AnonymousNoob said:
Spike strips sliding around on the road, homing in on you = FUCKING BULLSHIT

roar

What?? I just bought the game, before I tear open the shrinkwrap I need to know more of this.

Um, okay. Just popped in the game, instantly got a trophy (Socialite) and was then treated to a trailer for the next NFS. What the fuck? :lol Isn't that kind of stuff usually in an Extras menu? Jeez. Anyway, thought it was a very weird way to start it all. On to the game!

Oneself

i-Lo said:
Any word on why the picture taking mode only allows for 5 shots and only 2 of them being reserved for "Dream Shot"?

What do you mean? On the wall?? I already took around 10 HD shots because I don't like the crappy quality of the snapshots but didn't put any of them on the wall.

i-Lo

Oneself said:
What do you mean? On the wall?? I already took around 10 HD shots because I don't like the crappy quality of the snapshots but didn't put any of them on the wall.

What the heck!? As I take pictures they go into the slot which can be viewed under photo from the first game menu. I only shared one but you are right in saying that those photos are only available after it connected to Autolog. After the two HD shots, I was forced to only use R3 snapshots as otherwise the game kept on proclaiming that the slots are full and I needed to delete images.

I thought it would save the images on the HDD.

Can anyone confirm or deny? When you hit the nitro the music volume gets a boost as well?

Made it feel like happy fun times in Burnout 2. But I don't think Criterion bothered with it in subsequent games.

Brandon F said:
What?? I just bought the game, before I tear open the shrinkwrap I need to know more of this.

Dropped spike strips move around on the road instead of staying stationary. Pretty lame when I'm on a bridge and a strip closes the only gap that I had to possibly escape it.

Also, what's the point of a free-drive mode if I can't uncover shortcuts in it?

:|

Revolutionary said:
Um, okay. Just popped in the game, instantly got a trophy (Socialite)
Pretty much anyone who played the demo will get this, the requirements was 5 friends who's played, and it was counting the demo.

UFRA

Curufinwe said:
Easy to get Trophies/Achievements in good games mean nothing to me.

My interest level just doubled.

I played it about 7 hours yesterday in total, and in that time period (only about 3 hours spent in single player then friends pulled me into multiplayer lol) I unlocked 23/51 trophies.

Pretty awesome.

AdamMPSP

AnonymousNoob said:
Dropped spike strips move around on the road instead of staying stationary. Pretty lame when I'm on a bridge and a strip closes the only gap that I had to possibly escape it.

Also, what's the point of a free-drive mode if I can't uncover shortcuts in it?

:|

This statement confuses me. You can DISCOVER shortcuts in free-drive mode. It just doesn't give you the xp boost until you do it in a race. Seems reasonable to me.

And as far as the spike strips go, I haven't encountered ones that move back and forth, just a little lag as people drop them. Probably just a weird difference in perspective, as far as the car dropping the strip as opposed to the driver trying to avoid it. Doesn't bother me yet, though.

Pandemic

Need for Speed Community manager, NFSDrew has released a statement regarding what steering wheels are supported for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and Wii,
PS3
Generally all steering wheels based on the PS3 controller will function in NFS Hot Pursuit with the exception of Logitech and Logitech-compatible steering wheels.

* Please note that due to popular demand from the NFS Community, Criterion is working to add Logitech steering wheel support to NFS Hot Pursuit. However, at this point there is no ETA of when the support will be added to the game.

Xbox 360
We officially support the Microsoft wheel but any Xbox 360 wheel will most likely work fine.

PC
For PC we support all X input or Direct X compatible controllers, in other words, they’ll all work and will need to be configured in the game.

Wii
For Wii we support the Mario Kart wheel and compatible.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/3855014.page

i-Lo

i-Lo said:
What the heck!? As I take pictures they go into the slot which can be viewed under photo from the first game menu. I only shared one but you are right in saying that those photos are only available after it connected to Autolog. After the two HD shots, I was forced to only use R3 snapshots as otherwise the game kept on proclaiming that the slots are full and I needed to delete images.

I thought it would save the images on the HDD.

Any help?

dwebo said:
You mean everything but the most common ps3 wheels? smh

Indeed. That said, I have a feeling that a wheel doesn't matter so much in this game ... Though I played the original Hot Pursuit with a wheel, and definitely some good FF would be nice in this game.

legbone

i don't quite get it. i'm a fairly competent racing gamer (good at midnight club, shift, split/second, previous classic need for speeds) but something with the handling model is not clicking. i'm having trouble keeping up even on the early races and my friends are beeting me by 10 seconds on the autolog. i try to not drift too much and it does not work. i try going all ridge racer (super drift) and that does not work. nice balance does not work. cannot for the life of me figure it out. i'm an idiot i swear. should i be hitting nitro during the drifts or something. right now i'm basically using the nitro coming out of the drifts because i fall so far behind in the corners. any tips?

UFRA

legbone said:
i don't quite get it. i'm a fairly competent racing gamer (good at midnight club, shift, split/second, previous classic need for speeds) but something with the handling model is not clicking. i'm having trouble keeping up even on the early races and my friends are beeting me by 10 seconds on the autolog. i try to not drift too much and it does not work. i try going all ridge racer (super drift) and that does not work. nice balance does not work. cannot for the life of me figure it out. i'm an idiot i swear. should i be hitting nitro during the drifts or something. right now i'm basically using the nitro coming out of the drifts because i fall so far behind in the corners. any tips?

Sounds like you're doing things right.

You should be saving nitro for coming out of turns and straight aways. Never use it on turns since drifting kills your speed and it's counter productive.

If you are on a turn that is subtle enough that you don't need to drift, then don't drift. Only drift during those sharp turns that you couldn't handle any other way.

Be sure to drive in oncoming traffic and get near misses as much as possible to boost your nitro refill rate. Also take shortcuts when applicable.

Edit: and just to make sure, you're not using the handbrake are you? Initiate a drift by simply doing a quick tap of the brakes as you steer into the turn, then get right back on the throttle and hold it all the way through.

legbone

thanks alot. good to know, guess i just need more practice. it's frustrating since i've been a fan of racing games since the atari 2600 days and i'm usually pretty good at them. something just isn't clicking i guess.

edit: nope, not using the handbrake. i am using the tap brake method. when i first started having trouble i thought maybe i should be using it. i tried it and realized quickly that it was not a good idea.

Mar

legbone said:

Have your friends unlocked much better cars?

I know I was having trouble keeping up with people in the demo, and was always around 2 seconds behind other people's times even though I raced what I thought to be perfect runs. 10 seconds is a bit extreme though and makes me think there are other factors involved.

OneLetter

After playing this game a ton last night, the greatest thing is driving 200 MPH through a tunnel / cave with the cops flashing lights right behind you. Whether in SP or MP, the visuals are really amazing and gives you a great sense of urgency.

Can't wait to finally tackle the cop side of the game tonight, since I really only did the racer side last night.

panda21

i dont get the spike strips sliding thing

like left/right? or they move down the road?! it doesnt cover the whole width of the road but it moves left/right as you move to block you?

that just sounds mental

UFRA

Anyone know how to get the PS3 version custom soundtracks feature to work?

I'm in Audio Settings, and Sountrack has "Game Soundtrack" listed with 2 arrows as if you can change it. However, I can't...do you unlock this feature later or something similar to how GT PSP worked? lol

panda21 said:
i dont get the spike strips sliding thing

like left/right? or they move down the road?! it doesnt cover the whole width of the road but it moves left/right as you move to block you?

that just sounds mental

No, they slide on the road with a physics-based movement.

Think of it as if the road was pure ice, and you were driving 100MPH and set a piece of sheet metal on the road. If you were going straight, the piece of metal would slide on the road straight, and in the same direction as you - however it would start slowing down due to friction. If you were going around a curve and set it down, it would slide to the outside of the curve and off the road.

So it's best to use spikes on straight bits of road since it will simply slide straight down the road where you want it to be. If you're turning at all, it's going to slide off of the road.

The spikes do not try to block you, or move in any kind of intelligent manner. lol

crispyben

I'm having so much fun with this, got to Rank 3 in each career so far, making Trophies and Cars rain along the way :D What's up with the Day 1 DLC though. I expected both Timesavers Packs, but the SCPD Rebels Pack? Pay 2.49€ more to unlock the Racers version of previous Cops exclusives Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT 5, Aston Martin DBS, Audi R8 5.2 FSI, Mercedes-Benz McLaren 722 Edition, Lamborgini Reventon, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 and Chevrolet Corvette Z06... WTF?

I bought this game from GAME because of the pre-order bonus (the Racers versions of the Porsche Cayman S, Dodge Viper SRT10, Porsche Panamera Turbo and Nissan 370Z), but it turns out they didn't get the codes yet, and I had to bear with the clerk's banter which made me hate myself for playing videogames... The guy was so ridiculous I thought it must be the way other people see us :lol

Still, this game is beautiful, and my one online Hot Pursuit was awesome. Keep adding me GAF!

reminder

UFRA said:
Anyone know how to get the PS3 version custom soundtracks feature to work?

I'm in Audio Settings, and Sountrack has "Game Soundtrack" listed with 2 arrows as if you can change it. However, I can't...do you unlock this feature later or something similar to how GT PSP worked? lol

1. Create a playlist in the XMB
2. Put your songs into that playlist
3. Go into the Audio settings of the game
4. Select the playlist

UFRA

reminder said:
1. Create a playlist in the XMB
2. Put your songs into that playlist
3. Go into the Audio settings of the game
4. Select the playlist

Ahhhh, thank you!

That's why it isn't working for me. I have no playlists setup, just a bunch of folders with music in them.

No45

Pandemic said:
Need for Speed Community manager, NFSDrew has released a statement regarding what steering wheels are supported for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and Wii,
PS3
Generally all steering wheels based on the PS3 controller will function in NFS Hot Pursuit with the exception of Logitech and Logitech-compatible steering wheels.
Well FUCK, that's ridiculous.

Top Bottom