• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Tracks don't seem like there's much variety.

Are there cities hat you race through or is it pretty much all outdoor environments like the shore, mountains, dessert, etc.?

crispyben

Gacha-pin said:
I think it just unlocks cars which you can earn in a career mode...
Nah, it's pay 2.49€ more to unlock the Racers version of previous Cops exclusives Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT 5, Aston Martin DBS, Audi R8 5.2 FSI, Mercedes-Benz McLaren 722 Edition, Lamborgini Reventon, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 and Chevrolet Corvette Z06... What you're thinking of is the Timesavers packs.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Tracks don't seem like there's much variety.

Are there cities hat you race through or is it pretty much all outdoor environments like the shore, mountains, dessert, etc.?
I like the environments, cities have been done to death in racing games.

Xater

dexterslu said:
Yeah, I don't know if they normally take demos down after release but this should have been taken down immediately after it became 'unplayable'

Played the game for a solid two hours last night - Criterion totally nails the sense of speed in all of their racing games and Hot Pursuit is no different, it's really wonderful really enjoying the autolog (something I thought I would hate) It's not overly intrusive but I kept going back to certain races to knock my friends off the leaderboards.

The multiplayer seems rather so-so thus far, I played about 5 matches and the cops always won.

MP is alright, but nowhere near as good as in Burnout Paradise. I think Autolog might be more compelling in the longrun than the MP itself.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Played for a long time last night. The event where you race the McLaren F1 through the mountains is incredible. I got a familiar vibe while playing that level: the environments, liberal use of nitrous, and sense of speed reminded me of Ridge Racer 6. That game was universally seen as dated when it was released for the 360 launch, maybe we're coming full circle?

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I don't mind outdoors, it's just, is it varied though, with a lot of variety so it won't seem repetitive?

That's all I'm asking.
I think it's pretty varied but I only played for a couple hours last night. You've got deserts, mountains and coasts like you said. Good enough for me.

DuckRacer

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I don't mind outdoors, it's just, is it varied though, with a lot of variety so it won't seem repetitive?

That's all I'm asking.
Graphically there's a lot of variety, but the layout itself seems to be the same everywhere; long straightaway, then slight corner you drift around, then another long straightaway, and repeat until you get sick of it.

I've only played the game for about an hour and, aside from a couple nighttime special events with an ongoing storm everything has been really boring. I haven't unlocked the top tier supercars yet but it's just... eh. Not an improvement from the demo at all.

Guileless

It is varied. The OP has an image of the game map.

I haven't done much free roam yet to survey the entire game world, but it has much less urban area than in the various open worlds in the series from the plot-based games that have been released in the series.

The game world is a throwback to the tracks in the first two HP games, which were made before the whole urban street racing theme took over. They had names like Alpine Trail, Desert Heat, and Autumn Crossing. The game world has similar environments linked together, so it is sort of a fusion of the open-world and discrete stage styles.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Guileless said:
It is varied. The OP has an image of the game map.

I haven't done much free roam yet to survey the entire game world, but it has much less urban area than in the various open worlds in the series from the plot-based games that have been released in the series.

The game world is a throwback to the tracks in the first two HP games, which were made before the whole urban street racing theme took over. They had names like Alpine Trail, Desert Heat, and Autumn Crossing. The game world has similar environments linked together, so it is sort of a fusion of the open-world and discrete stage styles.

Exactly. I swear they recreated some of the scenery and shortcuts for this game.

legbone

i also think it is nice and varied. however, once you start getting to the later races, you are really hauling so much ass that you can't appreciate the scenery. this game gets really fast. criterion are the masters of sense of speed in my opinion.

hobdal

Neo Member
I played the full release for the first time today around my buddies house, it definitely feels better than the demo did. I think I'm going to go and get this tomorrow.

Add me on XBL if anyone is looking for someone to play with - HMFCJack

remz

dskillzhtown said:
Exactly. I swear they recreated some of the scenery and shortcuts for this game.
I thought this too. It just evokes that old school era of racing when you're speeding around these country tracks

KaYotiX

Banned
God Damn Autolog!!!!!!

Everytime i jump on its like "Autolog update, your friends beat your shitty time HAHAHAH" and eveytime i must go and try to get it back....its keeping me from doing more career races LOL!!

I LOVE AUTOLOG <3 !!

KaYotiX

Banned
DuckRacer said:
Graphically there's a lot of variety, but the layout itself seems to be the same everywhere; long straightaway, then slight corner you drift around, then another long straightaway, and repeat until you get sick of it.

I've only played the game for about an hour and, aside from a couple nighttime special events with an ongoing storm everything has been really boring. I haven't unlocked the top tier supercars yet but it's just... eh. Not an improvement from the demo at all.

You really havent seen some of the better roadways and cars yet....makes a big difference IMO.

crispyben

Shit, I should have bought that SCPD Rebels DLC I mentioned earlier, because it's gone now, and I bet it'll cost more than 2.49€ when it's back in a few weeks :-( Stupid PSN maintenance ! And stupid wife's grandmother's 90th birthday keeping me from playing for three days...

Guileless

We definitely need a map in freeride. The gameworld is huge and you have no idea where you are unless you're right on the coast.

dskillzhtown said:
That's what I thought. There's one area that's very reminiscent of Hot Pursuit 2 for the PS2. The area where there's a huge fallen tree that lies over the road and a huge hole cut into it to drive through. That entire area seemed very very HP2 to me.

crispyben said:
Shit, I should have bought that SCPD Rebels DLC I mentioned earlier, because it's gone now, and I bet it'll cost more than 2.49€ when it's back in a few weeks :-( Stupid PSN maintenance ! And stupid wife's grandmother's 90th birthday keeping me from playing for three days...
Wait what?

Sectus

Can anyone confirm this? I read on another forum that the PC version lacks rain effects altogether.

Shinjitsu said:
Well there you go.

Most games on the EA store use the stupid 3-5 activation limit then you are boned, steam does not.
I can agree with EA Store being awful, but there are other options. I personally find it a bit odd people are so obsessive about Steam when you've got alternatives like Impulse and Gamersgate which is more friendly to use and usually has less strict DRM.

After falling asleep from a hard days of work, I played around a few races and love it.

I could use some more friends with this game, sofar out of the 99 I have, only 1 has it. I need more to give me a challenge with improving or beating a friends time.

Recommendations doesn't work finding since people don't have the full game, but only the game. I was in a party last night and a buddy of mine got a friend request and asked him if the person who send it had NFS, he said yes.

I very much like the online portion of the game, first game as a cop got me my first win aswell, that felt good. It's sooo addicting, I could not stop playing.

Combined with my own custom music, this is my racer of the forever.

XBL GT - Rock Bogard

Photo I took, from the PS3 version.

tK4TR.jpg

Ketch

This game is really amazing. Totally brings me back to when I used to love NFS. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.... being from the burnout team and everything.

Pandemic

Question, I was just playing online, and someone was able to drop 2 spikestrips one right after the other.

They were a racer, and they dropped one spike strip then another 1 second after, does anyone know how this works, or is this a glitch that the user has found.....?

dwebo

The soundtrack is kinda shite, and this is coming from someone who usually likes the music Criterion puts together. Even so, I'd much rather listen to that than the action movie orchestral stuff they force on you in a good deal of events in both career paths.

I'm really having a hard time playing for any length of time before I just get annoyed and put in something else. Unless they have a health bar, ramming into other cars is just about the most unsatisfying thing, along with having to always glance at the (small) nitrous bar so as to use it strategically. I think I just really wanted a new Burnout.

bridegur

Guileless said:
We definitely need a map in freeride. The gameworld is huge and you have no idea where you are unless you're right on the coast.

Definitely. I'm shocked they didn't put one in to begin with. The whole open world aspect of the game feels sort of broken and half-finished. I'd like to see a map as well as online access.

dwebo said:
The soundtrack is kinda shite, and this is coming from someone who usually likes the music Criterion puts together. Even so, I'd much rather listen to that than the action movie orchestral stuff they force on you in a good deal of events in both career paths.

I'm really having a hard time playing for any length of time before I just get annoyed and put in something else. Unless they have a health bar, ramming into other cars is just about the most unsatisfying thing, along with having to always glance at the (small) nitrous bar so as to use it strategically. I think I just really wanted a new Burnout.
And I just wanted a new Hot Pursuit/High Stakes. Neither of us got what we wanted.

bridegur said:
Definitely. I'm shocked they didn't put one in to begin with. The whole open world aspect of the game feels sort of broken and half-finished. I'd like to see a map as well as online access.
Half-finished? That's being awfully nice. There is NOTHING to do in Freeride.

If you're a cop how cool would it be if in freeride you'd get random calls from the dispatcher to bust bad guys? Or if you were a racer you could get challenged by random NPCs, or cops would start chasing you for speeding. Something, anything, would be better than nothing.

UFRA

Pandemic said:
Question, I was just playing online, and someone was able to drop 2 spikestrips one right after the other.

They were a racer, and they dropped one spike strip then another 1 second after, does anyone know how this works, or is this a glitch that the user has found.....?

That's a Level 3 spike strip. You unlock it later on.

sdornan

Neuromancer said:
If you're a cop how cool would it be if in freeride you'd get random calls from the dispatcher to bust bad guys? Or if you were a racer you could get challenged by random NPCs, or cops would start chasing you for speeding. Something, anything, would be better than nothing.

bridegur

Neuromancer said:

Very true. I don't even understand why they bothered to go with an open world if they weren't going to make use of it whatsoever. Hopefully this game will get as much support as Paradise and they'll actually make the open world worthwhile.

i-Lo

Gacha-pin said:
According to the faq on criterion's site

Your photos are save in autolog cloud.

http://www.criteriongames.com/faq/

Where are Photos saved?

On the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Hot Pursuit, Photo's are automatically uploaded and stored in Autolog's cloud storage. On PC, the same is the case but we also write an uncompressed image saved to your Windows Pictures directory under "Criterion Games\Need For Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit".

http://twitter.com/CriterionGames/statuses/16415961487

might be changed for PS3.

Thanks. I have known about this for a short while. It's just that the 5 picture limitation with only two of them for HD shots is downright irritating. It would have been wise had they allowed for saving pictures on HDD like MSPR, Wipeout HD or Blur.

Here is my shot of day:

npkh9d.jpg

Shinjitsu

Banned
dwebo said:

Custom soundtracks could help you out maybe?

dwebo

Neuromancer said:
And I just wanted a new Hot Pursuit/High Stakes. Neither of us got what we wanted.
:lol poor Criterion

Shinjitsu said:
Custom soundtracks could help you out maybe?
Yeah, I tried earlier and my itunes songs were a no go. I really need to get around to converting them into mp3s, since the only game that they've worked in is Wipeout IIRC. It's not really that big of a deal, I'm just finding that I'm pressing L1 a lot. I swear they had good music in the ps2 burnouts, though maybe that's just nostalgia talking.

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
Wait what?
When I first popped in the game on Wednesday evening, I went to the NFS Store and there were 4 items in there:
- Limited Edition and Online Pass, which you get by inputting the code at the back of the manual
- Cops Timesavers Pack (unlock all Cops cars right away), don't remember the price
- Racers Timesavers Pack (unlock all Racers cars right away), dont remember the price
- SCP Rebels Pack (unlock the Racers version of previous Cops exclusives Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT 5, Aston Martin DBS, Audi R8 5.2 FSI, Mercedes-Benz McLaren 722 Edition, Lamborgini Reventon, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 and Chevrolet Corvette Z06), 2.49€

I post on GAF to bitch about this, then turn off the game. The next morning at work I look on the net, not a single mention, I realize it must have been a mistake and decide to buy it because it's quite cheap given the number of cars, when I get back home PSN Store and NFS Store are down because of the maintenance, when they're back up it's gone... And this thread is still the sole mention of it!

AdamMPSP

Neuromancer said:

I have to think that the Freeride is in there just to make DLC easier for Criterion. I remember them saying that with Burnout Paradise they had plans to make DLC cars, then it turned out that all people liked were freeride events, and so they then focused on adding that content, and I think we can all agree that the year of Paradise was a huge success.

I can't help but think that they are just making sure that the game is ready for a Burnout:paradise level of freeride for future DLC, and I'm totally down for that. There's plenty of game to keep me busy until then.

frameset said:
Played a cop mission with rain before and it seemed fine.

The PC version is bugged to hell and back (who would have expected that). Some times the rain is there, other times its not. Are you experiencing the bugged rear view mirror that looks like its stuck in vector mode?

frameset

Neo Member
Shadowhaxor said:
The PC version is bugged to hell and back (who would have expected that). Some times the rain is there, other times its not. Are you experiencing the bugged rear view mirror that looks like its stuck in vector mode?
What do you mean by vector mode?

Top Bottom