• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Erebus

Shinjitsu said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they do fix a few of these things if enough people complain. Hell Burnout Paradise got a restart race feature added in after the fact.

I really hope they put as much effort into supporting this as they did with Burnout Paradise.
Yep, Burnout Paradise had phenomenal support post-launch. Let's hope they do the same with this.

Paging ATi guys, does MLAA work well with this game?

To fix the EMP issue, either make cop cars not targetable by other cop cars, or add the ability to manually cycle through targets with the EMP.

Also, does anyone else find themselves getting screwed by their own spike strip airdrops more often than not? :lol

UFRA

Gary Whitta said:
To fix the EMP issue, either make cop cars not targetable by other cop cars, or add the ability to manually cycle through targets with the EMP.

Also, does anyone else find themselves getting screwed by their own spike strip airdrops more often than not? :lol

The funniest self-spiking thing that happened to me was this:

I was on a long straightaway and was watching my rear view mirror to set spikes in front of a racer. He was lined up perfectly with me and so I was all excited and launched my spikes.

Spikes are deployed, and suddenly I hit traffic ahead of me (not a good enough hit to start a "crash" sequence) I slow down significantly, and my spike strip catches up to me and spikes me from behind!!! :lol :lol

I decided to turn the music off in this game, it's just crappy. I might put together a custom soundtrack. I've never done that on Xbox 360 before, is it pretty easy to do?

Gary Whitta said:
I decided to turn the music off in this game, it's just crappy. I might put together a custom soundtrack. I've never done that on Xbox 360 before, is it pretty easy to do?

Deadmau5 is not crappy! You're crappy :mad:

Hawk SE

Gary Whitta said:

It's easier using a memory stick with loaded music then trying to stream it from your PC (i think).

Gary Whitta said:

I've been streaming the DI.fm techno station via my PC through TVeristy. Pretty much what I do with every racing game!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Gary Whitta said:

Did this in the second damn race. Horrible, horrible soundtrack. Plus the sound design is so great it's a shame to cover it up with crappy licensed tracks.

MattKeil said:
Did this in the second damn race. Horrible, horrible soundtrack. Plus the sound design is so great it's a shame to cover it up with crappy licensed tracks.
I agree, particularly in the chase modes. The sounds of the radio dispatcher and the sirens wailing and the helicopters roaring overhead... really thrilling and immersive stuff.

I think out of all of the things I miss from Burnout Paradise, it's the lack of rubber-banding AI.

The rubber-banding in this game is so blatant, it's ridiculous.

I'll jet to the front of the pack and to break their slipstream I head into oncoming traffic on the other side of the freeway meaning they're only slipstreaming behind the fastest of their pack, who is going much slower than me, as I'm gaining constant boost and blowing through oncoming only to have the leader of the other pack blow by me?

Where the fuck is he getting that boost?

Why do I even try?

WTF

Paradise was great because you could learn the map and beat the AI on fair ground.

Almak

I love how when you launch the game while not connected to the internet it shows you a NFS World add every time. :lol
So far, after the adjustment to some of the mechanics I totally love the game though rubber-banding is pretty bad as long as I dont make mistakes I usually come up on top. Otherwise, one crash and chances are you're pretty much done, well at least in hot pursuit that's what it feels like.

Also, I'm not a female gamer, but do women drive cars in Seacrest County?

It's fucking 2010, guys.

Maybe this Hot Pursuit takes place deep in the mind of Sunglasses Guy as he is a comatose patient racing to unlock the conscious parts of his being!

So it does have rubber band AI?

I hadn't noticed it and was arguing with a friend online about it, because I've gotten up to 15 to 20 seconds leads and the AI didn't catch up with me as long as I didn't crash or make any mistakes.

Gary Whitta said:
I agree, I fucking hate rubber-banding, it's why I prefer to play online against real people.
There's rubber-banding?

Darn. But I'm so used to so many racing games with rubber-banding that it shouldn't be too bad, but still, I hate rubber banding as well. It's infuriating!

How can anyone be against rubber-banding in a game like this? If there was none, if you made one mistake, one wreck, and you will, the AI would be so far ahead you'd have to keep restarting again and again and again until you had a perfect race, every time. That certainly doesn't sound like fun, or why I play games. The way it is now, if I wreck, I know I can catch up pretty quickly and get a race going again.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
How can anyone be against rubber-banding in a game like this? If there was none, if you made one mistake, one wreck, and you will, the AI would be so far ahead you'd have to keep restarting again and again and again until you had a perfect race, every time. That certainly doesn't sound like fun, or why I play games. The way it is now, if I wreck, I know I can catch up pretty quickly and get a race going again.

I'd prefer medium and hard AI to rubber-banding.

OneLetter

I finally just got the "Golddigger" achievement for getting all golds in race events - holy shit a few of those require perfect driving to get the gold. The hardest by far that required the most tries has got to be "The Ultimate Road Car". I think I retried that one about 20 times to figure out the right lane placement and times to use boost.

Gold time = 3:08:00
My time = 3:07:94

Man - that race was ridiculously hard, but now I can finally start on the police side of the game.

Also, if anyone wants to play online, or beat my gold times, GamerTag on XBL = "OneLetter"

UFRA

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Because it makes the game a bit too easy.

I'm about 70% done with the career, and I've yet to get anything less than gold medals on every event.

i-Lo

Here are two more.

Angry predator:

1vqck.jpg

One of the best cars for drifting:

2v7tf2u.jpg

dwebo

AnonymousNoob said:
Paradise was great because you could learn the map and beat the AI on fair ground.
I think you just prefer Paradise's system because it was easier. There was only one winning condition for events, and difficulty-wise, it was probably between a NFSHP bronze and silver (more towards bronze). Not to mention the rubber-banding was more in your favor, ie. you could still crash a ton of times and easily catch up.

As for rubber-banding in this game, I haven't noticed it too much. If I get behind, I usually stay behind, though that's probably just because I'm not very good. Difficulty, for me at least, is all over the place too. I'm finding it's not that hard to get gold in race / hot pursuit events, but then much more challenging in time trials.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
How can anyone be against rubber-banding in a game like this? If there was none, if you made one mistake, one wreck, and you will, the AI would be so far ahead you'd have to keep restarting again and again and again until you had a perfect race, every time.
You already have to do that in the collision penalty time trials. I fucking hate those events.

Gary Whitta said:

Eh, I dunno. I think I like the idea of there being a risk to using the EMP and forcing cops to get a little closer and be more careful when there are teammates around.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
DarkUSS said:
Paging ATi guys, does MLAA work well with this game?

I have a 5770 with the latest drivers. No AA, and if you try to override it through the CCC, the game crashes to desktop when you start a race.

It's -really- jaggy. But it runs at 60FPS+.

Wait, is MLAA in the latest Catalyst drivers? I didn't see an option for it...

I'm 99% sure there's rubberbanding in online play as well. I've noticed that when you fall behind a fair bit, your nitrous bar increases at a faster rate than normal as if there is a multiplier applied. It's especially noticeable when you're playing as a cop. I think it's great for Hot Pursuit mode though because it keeps the matches exciting. If you really want to test it out, just start off the race going slow and fall behind everyone, then drive in the oncoming lane and watch how fast your nitrous increases.

Also, has anyone else noticed that you can bust people by just getting stops on them? If you can manage to get a racer to stop his car and you pull up next to him for a couple of seconds, it'll automatically bust them without having to destroy the car. The only times I've really been able to pull it off is when someone spins out using the hand brake while trying to dodge an EMP or from someone crashing into things without getting the crash screen.

Erebus

FlyinJ said:
I have a 5770 with the latest drivers. No AA, and if you try to override it through the CCC, the game crashes to desktop when you start a race.

It's -really- jaggy. But it runs at 60FPS+.

Wait, is MLAA in the latest Catalyst drivers? I didn't see an option for it...
10.10e I believe.

Had a fun online session with Amirox and a bunch of other GAFers this afternoon. I think it's definitely more challenging being a cop; when teams were unbalanced it seemed like we had better more balanced games when it was 4 cops vs 3 racers rather than the other way around.

Gary Whitta said:
Had a fun online session with Amirox and a bunch of other GAFers this afternoon. I think it's definitely more challenging being a cop; when teams were unbalanced it seemed like we had better more balanced games when it was 4 cops vs 3 racers rather than the other way around.

Yeah, had some great games today with Whitta and the rest. Online is definitely the way to go, especially race after race. Nothing more satisfying than hearing Whitta say, "Oh fuck you." after taking him down. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

sorry i had to leave so early, there was spinach lasagna on the table :D

I really love the online mode. It's so rad. I honestly think with the cops and what not, you especially have to be good at knowing short cuts in case you fall behind. 'Cause if you fall too far behind, it's impossible to catch up. Same applies to the racers, of course.

I'm gonna make it a point to really focus on learning the levels short cuts

Gary Whitta said:
Very easy to do, especially if you have an iPod with Mp3's on it. You can hook it right up but you have to download the optional media update first:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Optional-Media-Update/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802fffe07df

Drastic said:
Anyone playing on 360 with the MS wireless wheel? If so, how is it?
Excellent, really excellent.

dwebo

This game is so much better with a custom soundtrack - holy moly. It's really well integrated, too. Damn, now I'm going to want it in every game.
Should've gotten a 360 :(

iNvid02

so all the cops were taken out, no one had crossed the line yet and there was 3 of us racing. some guy was 1st, i was close 2nd, and 3rd place was miles behind. i waited for the last stretch of long road before the line and EMPd 1st place for a takedown and won the race

got a few abusive messages afterwards saying we're on the same team :lol

i see it as everyone for themselves, BUT aim for the enemy racer when possible. if its a matter of finishing first take em the fuck out

Amir0x

Banned
iNvidious01 said:
so all the cops were taken out, no one had crossed the line yet and there was 3 of us racing. some guy was 1st, i was close 2nd, and 3rd place was miles behind. i waited for the last stretch of long road before the line and EMPd 1st place for a takedown and won the race

i see it as everyone for themselves, BUT aim for the enemy racer when possible. if its a matter of finishing first take em the fuck out

NEED FOR SPEED MARIO KART EDITION

Shinjitsu

Banned
I wish my game would get here already. Seeing people on my friends list and reading the stuff about multi player here makes me feel like i'm going to miss the boat on the super active play.=(

iNvidious01 said:

That's evil!

Did you record it?

Pandemic

Hmm, sort of sucks that when you use an EMP, whoever it's locked onto, it remains on that person until it launches, so you can't change it to another person. :(

Online hot pursuit is amazing.
It's pretty tough to win as a racer though.

Yes there are a few bugs and lag but nothing a patch can't fix.

IMO the only problem with the game is far too many time trials.. also it takes way too long to level up.

UFRA

Just finished the career entirely.

All gold medals/distinctions on every event. Just 4 more trophies left (simply ranking up to lvl 20 on both cop and racer) and then I get platinum! Pretty easy but fun trophies.

Top Bottom