• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

agaru

AdamMPSP said:
Hey guys, as I've said before, I love the game, even if I share a lot of the same complaints you guys have. I made a video about one of my complaints, and thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1nPoWx3BT0
Nice video. :lol

I've thought of what you said too but it doesn't bother me much, and I think many people out there actually appreciate this as it motivates them to keep on playing (you can blame Call of Duty for these easily achievable unlocks! :p) And yeah, the game is lots of fun and has a solid presentation. Autolog is such a brilliant feature, and with around 20 people from my friends list having the game, things just can't get any better.

Autolog would be better if you could make custom challenges for your friends, like pick a course, day and weather settings, your equipment, your opponents and a time to beat.

see5harp

Neuromancer said:
Autolog would be better if you could make custom challenges for your friends, like pick a course, day and weather settings, your equipment, your opponents and a time to beat.

That is something that Blur did very very well. The autolog is great for ease of use and the ability to add custom messages, but Blur was pretty innovative in terms of "offline" multiplayer features.

This game would be so much better if it weren't for the damn tutorial videos that are FUCKING unskippable.

Crit, stop making games with this. It's not cool.

Square Triangle said:
This game would be so much better if it weren't for the damn tutorial videos that are FUCKING unskippable.

Agreed, it's pretty heinous in this game. And they're not even good looking videos.

Square Triangle said:

it makes absolutely no sense either because they are skippable in multiplayer. just fucking let me skip them in SP. even more egregious is the nfs shift 2 commercial the first load.

Danneee

DevelopmentArrested said:
it makes absolutely no sense either because they are skippable in multiplayer. just fucking let me skip them in SP. even more egregious is the nfs shift 2 commercial the first load.

Is that trailer only in the NA version or something? I haven't seen it in my EU version of the game.

DevelopmentArrested said:
ZOMG IT HAPPENS ONCE

polyh3dron said:
ZOMG IT HAPPENS ONCE
So you're saying unskippable commercials for another video game, in a video game you just plunked down $60~ for, is a good thing? Personally I think it sucks and Criterion/EA ought to be ashamed of themselves.

blurrygil

Neuromancer said:
So you're saying unskippable commercials for another video game, in a video game you just plunked down $60~ for, is a good thing? Personally I think it sucks and Criterion/EA ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I think it's a slippery slope, but I'm not gonna rage over it.

I'm buying a "license" to play it, all things considered. So publishers can do as they please, I suppose.

djgil said:
I think it's a slippery slope, but I'm not gonna rage over it.

I'm buying a "license" to play it, all things considered. So publishers can do as they please, I suppose.
Well they're going to do what they're going to do, but as long as I can complain about it it always makes me feel better. :D

And you never know, someone may listen and in the next title update they'll let new players skip it.

blurrygil

Well they're going to do what they're going to do, but as long as I can complain about it it always makes me feel better.

And you never know, someone may listen and in the next title update they'll let new players skip it.

Complain away then, good sir.

Let's ALL hope they do not take it to the next level...

i-Lo

2rqj0no.jpg

2r5q8sl.jpg

2q208jl.jpg

5lz3p3.jpg

347hheq.jpg

Neuromancer said:
It's not worth getting bent out of shape over.

see5harp

Seriously it's not a big deal. I understand being annoyed by the unskippable car unlocks because in many cases you've already seen the car once (or twice if it's once of the "NFS Edition's"). I honestly had to navigate through the menus to even watch the Shift 2 trailer.

timnich

Honestly, the onetime unskippable Shift 2 commercial isn't as bad as the ad that shows up for Need for Speed World EVERY TIME YOU BOOT THE GAME! Don't know if this is only in the PC version, but its pretty annoying.

Anyone else find the custom music volume to be very low? I have to turn the other audio down to 20% or so.

Also kinda sucks how it plays over the pursuit music

see5harp

betweenthewheels said:
Anyone else find the custom music volume to be very low? I have to turn the other audio down to 20% or so.

I don't know how it works with PS3, but with the 360 you can adjust the custom soundtrack at any point in the same place you select the music. It's just one of the buttons on the right side (if I remember correctly).

see5harp said:
I don't know how it works with PS3, but with the 360 you can adjust the custom soundtrack at any point in the same place you select the music. It's just one of the buttons on the right side (if I remember correctly).
This, unless he's talking about the PS3 version, in which case I have no idea.

Neuromancer said:
This, unless he's talking about the PS3 version, in which case I have no idea.

I'm on the 360, and playing from a playlist in itunes through the audio menu in HP. Problem is the music output is really low.

Neuromancer said:
Hmm

And it doesn't let you futz with the volume in the dashboard? (Hit guide button, go one menu to the right, bottom left corner)

Not when playing music through the game. I guess i'll just play music through the guide then.

Just bought the game the other day on a whim. I like it a lot.

Problem is, I have no friends on PSN.

If anyone wants to add me, it's whoompthereitis

DasRaven

Whoompthereitis said:
Just bought the game the other day on a whim. I like it a lot.

Problem is, I have no friends on PSN.

If anyone wants to add me, it's whoompthereitis

There is a link to an entire thread of GAF friends in the OP. Visit and pick a dozen or so.

Shinjitsu

Banned
betweenthewheels said:

Could be the audio level of your songs.

betweenthewheels said:
I'm on the 360, and playing from a playlist in itunes through the audio menu in HP. Problem is the music output is really low.

Totally agreed, I thought this would have been improved from the review code to the retail version, but no.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Square Triangle said:

Most likely EA's decision, not Criterions.

Anyway, here are a few pics. Had an epic crash a few mins ago.

30my837.jpg

And a view from above (Car was that high it wouldn't let me lower the camera to the ground)

2m5e5pj.jpg

And a couple of 'artsy' ones.

2ivyafk.jpg

b7c45z.jpg

2irm5bt.jpg

I like this a lot but I'm really, really crap at it.

Wanted level 4, and I'm finding it too hard now. I can't complete the time trial races and I keep getting busted on hot pursuits.

Is there an easy setting somewhere?

Dear lord, Hot Pursuit are so much fun. Can't get enough.

Loving the game so far. Great great track design, fast lane, high speed turns, lots of up and down hill with some blind corner or blind peak. Some event are pure fun: second cop event: BAM Reventon preview serious adrenaline rush trying not to hit walls with this beast.

The Veyron is some serious business as well... You start the event at 300km/h and after boosting your initial boost, you're already 400km/h into the first corner. God, I'm having so much fun, I love it.

TimeLike

Android18a said:

Wanted level 4, and I'm finding it too hard now. I can't complete the time trial races and I keep getting busted on hot pursuits.

This is my problem with racing games and why I'll only ever rent them. The progressive difficulty sucks. It'd be like starting up a game of Call of Duty on Recruit and by midway thru you're playing on Hardened. I'm a wanted level 6 and am getting my ass handed to me. Burnout Paradise didn't have this problem. :(

Shinjitsu

Banned
Neuromancer said:
I think it is. It's really irritating and it sets a bad precedent.

You are STILL going on about this? It's a ONE TIME commercial, fucking deal with it already. It's not a big deal.

Goldrusher

So... there isn't a restart option after an event ?
Cross the finish line and you have to go through 5 or 6 menus again, to restart the very same event ?!
Especially with Autolog, doesn't a "try again ?" option make sense ? Why isn't it there ?

Didn't Burnout Paradise lack the very same option ? Which they eventually patched in after much complaining ?

Who designs these games ?! :')

glaurung

Started playing last night, the game is really good.

It is odd that they did not reset the Autolog data from the demo, those two events still have some data in the leader boards, e.g. some of my friends have the number of attempts north of 50, heh.

Some events are more laborious than the others, I think. Pushing the player to the very high-end car special preview events from the start was a great incentive in Shift, but I don't quite like it here.

Also, the restrictions on the car selection for most events kind of sucks. I know they were trying to level the playing field, but come on, I want to learn a race by heart and then obliterate my times with a superior car each and every time.

Does someone know what the bonus is for having some NFS Shift save on the system or something like that? Since I replaces my PS3 recently and lost all my saves, I haven't had a chance to stick Shift into the machine yet.

crispyben

Goldrusher said:
Cross the finish line and you have to go through 5 or 6 menus again, to restart the very same event ?!
Especially with Autolog, doesn't a "try again ?" option make sense ? Why isn't it there ?

Didn't Burnout Paradise lack the very same option ? Which they eventually patched in after much complaining ?

Who designs these games ?! :')
If you pause during the event, you can restart it at any time. Once you've finished an event, the result screens will have two options at one point: continue to map (bottom right corner) and retry (bottom left corner).

glaurung said:
Started playing last night, the game is really good.

Does someone know what the bonus is for having some NFS Shift save on the system or something like that? Since I replaces my PS3 recently and lost all my saves, I haven't had a chance to stick Shift into the machine yet.
I saw a lot of your times already :p I got a 500 Bounty bonus for ahving a BOP save, dunno about NFSS...

glaurung

Goldrusher said:
Once the score has been tallied on your run, you can press the square button (PS3) to replay the race with minimum load times.

However this button does not appear when you unlock something. Then the game forces you down the road of playing the showcase video and then dropping you off to Autolog.

Frankly, I don't mind because the loading times in this game are quite short, even on the console version.

Goldrusher

glaurung said:
Once the score has been tallied on your run, you can press the square button (PS3) to replay the race with minimum load times.

However this button does not appear when you unlock something. Then the game forces you down the road of playing the showcase video and then dropping you off to Autolog.
I see.

Well, I just got the game, so I'm unlocking stuff left and right. Good to hear there is eventually a retry button, because retrying in the event itself isn't always an option when you're trying to beat someone's time by a few tenths.

TimeLike said:
This is my problem with racing games and why I'll only ever rent them. The progressive difficulty sucks. It'd be like starting up a game of Call of Duty on Recruit and by midway thru you're playing on Hardened. I'm a wanted level 6 and am getting my ass handed to me. Burnout Paradise didn't have this problem. :(

Thats why I love the PGR series. Every race right til the end has the five or so difficulty settings and you just play how you're comfortable playing.

Criterion, please patch a difficulty setting in ^^

Shinjitsu said:
You are STILL going on about this? It's a ONE TIME commercial, fucking deal with it already. It's not a big deal.
Because people keep shitting all over my opinion (like you) causing me to restate it, over and over and over.

I still think it's shitty, but I'm happy for you that you didn't mind it. Let's remember this conversation in a few years where EA puts out 3 or 4 unskippable commercials before their games, just like you have on Blu Rays and DVDs. I'm sure you'll be cool with it then too.

Also I'd like to point out, you're coming across as even angrier than I am. :D

Android18a said:

No but I wish there was. I don't know on games like this and Split Second they can't just let us pick our difficulty. One size does not always fit all.

twinturbo2 said:
Does anyone know when the Dr. Pepper promotion is going up?
What is this Dr. Pepper promotion?

glaurung

Had a look at the PSN page and it seems I unlocked the Impreza drift trophy completely by accident. Kind of loving that.

Is there any real purpose to doing the milestone challenges beside easy bounty? Do I get an extra vehicle or something like that?

The game lacks awesome vehicles. I cannot help but fondly recall Hot Pursuit II with its awesome vehicle unlock schemes like 'drive eight laps without any collisions' or similar.

Actually, I miss HP lap racing altogether. I hope some day we will get DLC tracks straight out of HP2.

Yes Ben, looks like a managed to beat a few of your scores last night. But I do not look forward to the next few weeks, my friends list has some crazy guys in it and I will soon be the last on every speedwall.

Top Bottom