• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

luffeN

just played a few races on pc and the game is absolutley amazing! only problem I have with the stereo setup on the pc is that the music is not that strongly present as on the 360 with a 5.0 setup :( gonna play it on PC and then on 360 again I suppose.

burgerdog

So loving this game.

pic.jpg

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:
Is it just me or you can't actually see the rain? Just a wet road oO

Hey you can say the same thing with GT5. The daytime-rain vids doesn't have reflective roads at all :lol

Sectus

Metalmurphy said:
Is it just me or you can't actually see the rain? Just a wet road oO
Are you on the PC version? It seems to be missing some big graphical effects >.< There's also supposed to be a graphical effect when looking directly at the sun. Hopefully they'll patch this game soon.

REV 09

This game feels like the true sequel to Burnout 3 to me. So damn good. Without a doubt the best arcade racer since Paradise.

Sectus said:
Are you on the PC version? It seems to be missing some big graphical effects >.< There's also supposed to be a graphical effect when looking directly at the sun. Hopefully they'll patch this game soon.
I don't have the game, I'm just talking about all the screenshots and videos I'm seeing.

scandisk_ said:
Hey you can say the same thing with GT5. The daytime-rain vids doesn't have reflective roads at all :lol
Depends on the track actually. But that's not what I meant. The actual rain falling. I never see it.

Gacha-pin

i-Lo said:
Thanks. I have known about this for a short while. It's just that the 5 picture limitation with only two of them for HD shots is downright irritating. It would have been wise had they allowed for saving pictures on HDD like MSPR, Wipeout HD or Blur.

I think you haven't activated an online pass.

REV 09

Metalmurphy said:
I don't have the game, I'm just talking about all the screenshots and videos I'm seeing.

Depends on the track actually. But that's not what I meant. The actual rain falling. I never see it.
There are downpours, light rain, and wet roads after a rain. Sometimes all in the same race.

i-Lo

OMG! I found a kitteh named Tom!

jrbnnq.jpg

For those who aren't familiar:
F14 Tomcat

Another pic:

m8puon.jpg

Many more to come. Enjoy.

Bernbaum

Wake-up time after crashing is way too fucking slow.

I could complete the tutorial chapters of FFXIII in the time it takes to resume racing after a crash.

It's a great game, but for a lot of the time I'm putting the controller down during the epic long load screens and checking twitter/GAF on my iPhone.

i-Lo

Yea there are definitely some minor annoyances.

My personal ones:

1. Slow-mo camera to portray the first cop can really screw up the driving line.

2. Long drawn intro (even with the skip option) for "Restart"s. It's exceedingly frustrating when I am trying to beat my friend's time and have to wait for around 30 seconds every time I restart.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
So do you guys think this is the best NFS game ever made?
In the last 10 years, yeah. But NFS: High Stakes will always be the high water mark of the series as far as I'm concerned.

UFRA

Neuromancer said:
In the last 10 years, yeah. But NFS: High Stakes will always be the high water mark of the series as far as I'm concerned.

100% agree with this.

I'm really enjoying this game a ton. It's real fun and met my expectations considering it's made by Criterion. (So, I expected it to be more like Burnout than NFS, but that's not really a bad thing).

However, I think High Stakes was the best hot pursuit NFS game of all time. To specifically rank the NFS hot pursuits I played:

High Stakes
NFSIII:Hot Pursuit
Hot Pursuit 2
Hot Pursuit 2010
Most Wanted

On another note...they sure focked up on the naming of these games. Why is this just called 'NFS: Hot Pursuit' when there's so many other hot pursuits before it?? :lol

scandisk_ said:

Why are you bringing up GT5?

Every time I come into this thread I read a dumb post of HP vs. GT5.

Stop it. No comparison.
2j0nrqe.jpg

UFRA said:
On another note...they sure focked up on the naming of these games. Why is this just called 'NFS: Hot Pursuit' when there's so many other hot pursuits before it?? :lol
Yeah, it confused me at first as well, since I'm not really to familiar with the series.

I know it's a revamp of the NFS series, but maybe they could've added "2010" at the end or something, which would be "NFS Hot Pursuit 2010."

But it would've sounded cheesy, I guess.

I don't know why they would put "Limited Edition" on the game's title, I mean, limited for what, the online pass? :lol

UFRA

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah, it confused me at first as well, since I'm not really to familiar with the series.

I know it's a revamp of the NFS series, but maybe they could've added "2010" at the end or something, which would be "NFS Hot Pursuit 2010."

But it would've sounded cheesy, I guess.

I don't know why they would put "Limited Edition" on the game's title, I mean, limited for what, the online pass? :lol

Actually you're pretty much spot on lol.

EA did this with Battlefield: Bad Company 2 as well. There was a "limited edition" where you get a "VIP code" that allows you to have access to various maps. Later, they stopped that edition and I think you had to buy the VIP code in the in-game store in order to unlock maps. (I may not have the details right, but it was something to this effect)

So perhaps this NFSHP LE has to do with unlocking cars? I know that off the bat, my code that was in the box unlocked X amount of cars right away. Maybe people have to pay for that later I bet.

Pandemic

UFRA said:
100% agree with this.

I'm really enjoying this game a ton. It's real fun and met my expectations considering it's made by Criterion. (So, I expected it to be more like Burnout than NFS, but that's not really a bad thing).

However, I think High Stakes was the best hot pursuit NFS game of all time. To specifically rank the NFS hot pursuits I played:

High Stakes
NFSIII:Hot Pursuit
Hot Pursuit 2
Hot Pursuit 2010
Most Wanted

Maybe they want to redo the whole series, meaning there will be another Hot Pursuit title sometime in the future?:lol

Danneee

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Actually, yeah, I've been playing the series since the first game. This is kind of a mix of the first two games and the HP games in that the Road Rash heritage is noticable, the great arcadey feel of the cars, the balance between racing and escaping from the police and the realistic/fantastic scenery.
So for me it's at least in the top three of NFS games, one of the best racing games I've played.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Agree with you there Danneee. Although for me the 3DO original was the pinnacle of the series just because it had the right mix of sim and arcade, after that it just seemed like a pure arcade racer. It's taken a long time to swallow that the series will never quite go back to its roots, but, we've always got TDU.

Here's a few pics I took today.

s5ctgw.jpg

wrf1qh.jpg

If anyone wants another racer to challenge for scores feel free to hit me up. My gamertag is tomby 360

My #1 gripe with the game is now this - COP CARS SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO EMP-LOCK ONTO OTHER COP CARS. I can understand why racers would want to EMP other racers but there's NO reason for one cop to EMP another. And yet every time I'm in a multiplayer chase with another cop working with me and I try to EMP the guy we're chasing, the fucking EMP locks onto my partner, not the bad guy! Stupid.

Pandemic

Gary Whitta said:
My #1 gripe with the game is now this - COP CARS SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO EMP-LOCK ONTO OTHER COP CARS. I can understand why racers would want to EMP other racers but there's NO reason for one cop to EMP another. And yet every time I'm in a multiplayer chase with another cop working with me and I try to EMP the guy we're chasing, the fucking EMP locks onto my partner, not the bad guy! Stupid.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I completely agree, every time I'm near a racer, a officer from behind will use EMP and instead of locking onto the racer, it locks onto me, which then obviously leads to my controls exploding.

123rl

I put a couple of hours into it and it's giving me a Burnout 2/Burnout 3 vibe. I'm so happy :D

It's a lot more varied than I expected, which is great. The pursuit races are like a weird mix of surviving Road Rage and trying to Takedown or win a race all at the same time. The Cop mode is basically Road Rage...no complaints from me. Then there's the usual hot laps, preview races etc

Gacha-pin

Sectus said:
By the way, can anyone take a screenshot of this event on the 360 or PS3 version? http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/nfs-hp/NFS112010-11-2008-31-28-95.jpg - It's the first event on the cop career with rain effects. I'm curious what the rain is actually supposed to look like.

The event you mention has a wet road surface but don't have rain shower.

The rain effect is not gorgeous on PS3. You can see a few splashes on the road but not on the body of the cars at all.

2ufumvd.jpg

29og775.jpg

2q8yc5u.jpg

Sectus

Gacha-pin said:
The event you mention has a wet road surface but don't have rain shower.
Really? I can remember one of the screens before the event (loading screen maybe) showed some heavy rain. I've played a few more events and I've never noticed a single drop of rain, neither any snow particles, so I'm very sure those effects are not in the PC version at all.

Thanks for the screenshots. Maybe I'm not missing a whole lot, but I hope EA will fix this at some point.

Amir0x

Banned
goddamn hot pursuit mode online is reDONKulously addicting. It's so fucking intense when your other teammates are taken out and you got three police on your tail, and you're dodging roadblocks with fucking air tight precision and you see the finish line but a helicopter dropped a strip right in front of you and...HOLY FUCK YOU WON

Kingpen

Did anyone in here love Midnight Club LA? If so, can they post how they feel about comparing that arcade racer to Hot Pursuit?

Suzzopher

Spent the last two hours playing this online with JigglyWiggly. So much fun, the online is really good.

Any gaffers want to add me on PSN hit me up with a friend request(need to cull some to make some space).

i-Lo

Amir0x said:
goddamn hot pursuit mode online is reDONKulously addicting. It's so fucking intense when your other teammates are taken out and you got three police on your tail, and you're dodging roadblocks with fucking air tight precision and you see the finish line but a helicopter dropped a strip right in front of you and...HOLY FUCK YOU WON

.. and to think I am addicted to the single player because I am obsessed with beating my friends' times. I can't begin to imagine what'll happen when I play this game online!

Anyways, a few more pics:

1pcu9x.jpg

Ah teh silver trophy!

1zxawx5.jpg

More later.

Gacha-pin

Sectus said:
Really? I can remember one of the screens before the event (loading screen maybe) showed some heavy rain. I've played a few more events and I've never noticed a single drop of rain, neither any snow particles, so I'm very sure those effects are not in the PC version at all.

Thanks for the screenshots. Maybe I'm not missing a whole lot, but I hope EA will fix this at some point.

There are the weather condition icons in the right of the event names. The icon with drops/lines under a cloud is the race you should select. The icon with three drops without a cloud is just a wet road condition. Not 100% sure though.

I had snow in the last free ride.

16jlt8x.jpg

10ok2nl.jpg

Sectus

I want those snow effects :'<

I just tested another event called French Connection which has the rain and cloud icon and I even hear a very loud pour of rain, but I don't see a single drop. Darnit!

BeeDog

is there any tech comparison between the console versions yet? I'm curious if Criterion managed to achieve complete platform parity once again. :D

EDIT: ah, it was on the Eurogamer front page.

The more I play, the more I love Criterion for sticking to the whole "Epic Drives" thing. a 6-8 minute race through totally different winding sections of roads, with changing weather effects? You don't see much of those anymore.

Some of the outside of track detail is pretty damn good to, I think this is the oil rig that's off the north coast.
pic.jpg

Not the greatest shot, but I thought this was fun:
pic.jpg

Sorry officer about the car...

Kingpen said:
Did anyone in here love Midnight Club LA? If so, can they post how they feel about comparing that arcade racer to Hot Pursuit?
How would you want them compared? I don't know how you want to look at both games, but Midnight Club, as a whole series, and also with LA, was the urban environment navigate the busy street type racer. HP doesn't have any of that. The closest feel to something like that is perhaps the highway or suburb sections, but even than LA was more about dodging the traffic while evading/racing.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Not for me, it isn't. I'd have to reserve that for either Hot Pursuit 2 or Most Wanted. (Never played High Stakes.)

But while I'm enjoying this one, I feel like there's something missing. And I've been trying to put my finger on what that is. And no, it's not story that it's missing.

There's just no flow to the game. It's just: go to a menu, race, go back to a menu, race. It's like Criterion took the exact opposite approach they did with Burnout Paradise. Possibly to separate the games so people didn't complain that NFS had just become Burnout. Or because so many people bitched about Paradise's open world.

Now, I'm not saying they should have made this game like Paradise, in fact my complaint is admittedly nit-picky. I just can't help but wonder if maybe they could have taken just a bit from Paradise to make it all flow better.

And I can't say I'm a fan of Auto Log, though that's something they did take from Paradise and evolved for this game. I just find it a little too in your face, and sometimes distracting. I really don't care that some yahoo on my friend's list has posted an impossible time there's no way I'll ever beat. I just wish I could turn it off. I guess I could just log off of PSN.

I know I sound negative, but this really is an outstanding game. Just not the best in the series. It IS a lot of fun, though.

Massa

UFRA said:
Actually you're pretty much spot on lol.

EA did this with Battlefield: Bad Company 2 as well. There was a "limited edition" where you get a "VIP code" that allows you to have access to various maps. Later, they stopped that edition and I think you had to buy the VIP code in the in-game store in order to unlock maps. (I may not have the details right, but it was something to this effect)

So perhaps this NFSHP LE has to do with unlocking cars? I know that off the bat, my code that was in the box unlocked X amount of cars right away. Maybe people have to pay for that later I bet.

That's incorrect, the VIP code comes with every new copy of BC2 including the regular edition. The "limited edition" had 6 weapons unlocked from the get go and that was about it.

Likewise for this game the online pass will still come with the regular edition, you just won't get the other extras.

There should be a single event mode where you can pick a route, time of day, weather, and how many cops/racers there are. I'm concerned once I've done the career modes there will be nothing else for me to do (I'm not much of an online player, especially if I can't play with my friend against the AI, and freeride is a barren wasteland). Hopefully Criterion is going to flesh out this game a little more with DLC.

DidntKnowJack said:
There's just no flow to the game. It's just: go to a menu, race, go back to a menu, race. It's like Criterion took the exact opposite approach they did with Burnout Paradise. Possibly to separate the games so people didn't complain that NFS had just become Burnout. Or because so many people bitched about Paradise's open world.

Now, I'm not saying they should have made this game like Paradise, in fact my complaint is admittedly nit-picky. I just can't help but wonder if maybe they could have taken just a bit from Paradise to make it all flow better.
I really feel that given the line that NFS straddles between sim and arcade, open and closed world, they will have difficult decisions to make when it comes to things like this. I would agree that I rather have the "Drive to the spot to start the race" structure that was in Paradise, or even like how it was handled in Most Wanted, but I wonder how much of it was them playing cautious when it comes to potential complaints. Paradise was under fire alot for not having a restart, and I'm sure EA would have had none of that on their mainline racing games.

Hawk SE

Gary Whitta said:

Yes Yes Yes. That needs to be fixed. It makes sense as a Racer you'd want to either EMP a Cop or a Racer, depending. But as a Cop it should only be Racers

kamspy

Game is pretty awesome on PC. Wish there's weren't so many unskippable CGs though.

If this game was Steamworks it would be so much sweeter. EA friend system blows.

i-Lo

So far here is a list of things to fix:

1. Cop cars locking on to each other with the EMP

2. Long drawn restart sequences even with "skip"

3. Slow motion intro to police vehicles screwing up driving off screen

4. Resets from crash a touch too long

i-Lo said:

1. Cop cars locking on to each other for the EMP

Let me take photos if I'm not connected.

hobdal

Neo Member
Went and bought this game yesterday, absolutely loving it so far. It's massively addicting and I'm only on level 4 cop and racer. I've yet to try it online, but I can imagine it'll be good. Big well done to Criterion for making another arcade racer gem.

Hit me up on XBL: HMFCJack

Shinjitsu

Banned
i-Lo said:

1. Cop cars locking on to each other with the EMP

I wouldn't be surprised if they do fix a few of these things if enough people complain. Hell Burnout Paradise got a restart race feature added in after the fact.

I really hope they put as much effort into supporting this as they did with Burnout Paradise.

Top Bottom