• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Does this game get harder? Im getting Gold on all events without even trying.
BTW is there any way of disabling VSync on the pc version?It looks very jerky in parts.

AdamMPSP

I had a blast earlier with Whitta and a crew of GAFers in multiplayer. So fun, even if I kind of suck. Man, it's nice to play on xbox with cool people, and not a bunch of racist, homophobic 12-year-olds. Good game guys.

If anyone else wants to add me, the gamertag is "Magic Phone"

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
iNvidious01 said:
so all the cops were taken out, no one had crossed the line yet and there was 3 of us racing. some guy was 1st, i was close 2nd, and 3rd place was miles behind. i waited for the last stretch of long road before the line and EMPd 1st place for a takedown and won the race

got a few abusive messages afterwards saying we're on the same team :lol

i see it as everyone for themselves, BUT aim for the enemy racer when possible. if its a matter of finishing first take em the fuck out

Ahahaha, that's awesome. The downside to that though is you don't get the bonus points for everyone finishing the race. Still, would be funny to hear the reaction. :D

Had some great games on my tOmby 360 account with Kryptic, Whitta, Amirox, Tigerriot, Magic Phone and a few others whose names escape me but the Hot Pursuits were epic. Good games guys.

JadedOne

iNvidious01 said:
so all the cops were taken out, no one had crossed the line yet and there was 3 of us racing. some guy was 1st, i was close 2nd, and 3rd place was miles behind. i waited for the last stretch of long road before the line and EMPd 1st place for a takedown and won the race

got a few abusive messages afterwards saying we're on the same team :lol

i see it as everyone for themselves, BUT aim for the enemy racer when possible. if its a matter of finishing first take em the fuck out

:lol thats great! :lol

Gen X

BlindSwordsmanZ said:
Is this game like Burnout Paradise in that it was made for PS3 then ported to 360?

Eurogamers comparison says both versions are spot on in all departments. PC version is obviously superior technically but suffers in the Autolog department due to the lack of supported friends list from any other means (d2d, Steam etc) and you have to add people manually who you know have the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nfs-hot-pursuit-face-off

thanks to the engineering team at Criterion, the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are exactly the same, and equally worthy of your time and money.

Amir0x

Banned
Gen X said:
Ahahaha, that's awesome. The downside to that though is you don't get the bonus points for everyone finishing the race. Still, would be funny to hear the reaction. :D

Had some great games on my tOmby 360 account with Kryptic, Whitta, Amirox, Tigerriot, Magic Phone and a few others whose names escape me but the Hot Pursuits were epic. Good games guys.

Yeah except when all the police were taken out and sharp spike stripped me to death so he could win the race :lol

vermadas

I've only played the police SP career mode so far. I love the pursuit events where you have to take down the racers. I usually have little or no trouble getting golds on them.

The rapid response events are ridiculous though. I know other people have posted about hating them, but is anyone else having a really hard time getting silver (merit) or above? Hell, on a couple of them I've tried I struggle to even pass. I know the key is to take all the shortcuts, but apparently I haven't gotten a good enough grasp on the handling yet where I can take them without either slowing down too much or bouncing off the walls. I can spend 30 minutes on one of these events just to get a bronze, but in five minutes I can gold a pursuit event.

I think I'm going to start avoiding those events for now. When I unlock more cars, maybe I can find one that handles really well that I can use for those events (where it isn't restricted to one choice anyway).

DasRaven

IMO, these "you versus the clock, collisions, and traffic" events are the worst part of the game.
I took 90m & 56 attempts at Reventon Reveal to get Distinction.

Sure, it was the first one I tried, but every one since has been just as much of a grind, I jut stopped caring about getting Distinction so I could get back to the good parts of the game.

Amir0x said:
Yeah except when all the police were taken out and sharp spike stripped me to death so he could win the race :lol
I did that in another race too! :lol Online multi is such a blast in this game.

Autolog is awesome too. After the online session broke up I went back to the main menu to hear "Your times have been beaten by 4 players." Fuck that, so I looked at the recommended races and promptly spent an hour trying to shave a second off one of Amirox's times, which I eventually did :lol

vermadas said:
The rapid response events are ridiculous though. I know other people have posted about hating them, but is anyone else having a really hard time getting silver (merit) or above? Hell, on a couple of them I've tried I struggle to even pass. I know the key is to take all the shortcuts, but apparently I haven't gotten a good enough grasp on the handling yet where I can take them without either slowing down too much or bouncing off the walls. I can spend 30 minutes on one of these events just to get a bronze, but in five minutes I can gold a pursuit event.
Shortcuts are not really 'key'. For the most part it's much easier to get a Gold time using the normal route without relying on any shortcut. It's much more importent to handle every turn as good as possible and not to collide with anything (you can usually still manage a Gold despite hitting traffic one or two times if the rest of your run is solid, though).
The Cop time trials are really not the worst part of the game. The Racer ones are much more unforgiving, even though it may not appear that way at first because you don't get a penalty for hitting things.

Is it safe to call this the best arcade racer this gen? I have a weird thing where I can only have one racer in my collection and im thinking of trading in sega all stars for this.

Almak

Any good way to enable AA without rolling back to older drivers (does that even work for NVIDIA?), I tried forcing the global settings but it's a no go. I don't usually care about it but those curvy cars sure could use some of it. :/

canadian crowe said:
Is it safe to call this the best arcade racer this gen? I have a weird thing where I can only have one racer in my collection and im thinking of trading in sega all stars for this.
I love it a lot but I think I'd still have to give the crown to Burnout Paradise.

Gary Whitta said:
I love it a lot but I think I'd still have to give the crown to Burnout Paradise.
That's great I love Burnout as a whole. I actually have the complete box of Paradise on my ps3. I might pick it up. As much as I loved split/second and blur there was something off about them (I think it was the hair pulling difficulty)

On the PS3 is anyone else having a difficult time finding a HP match with the room full? Either the servers are junk or no one is seriously playing this on the PS3.

Might have to switch this out for the 360 =/

Square Triangle said:
On the PS3 is anyone else having a difficult time finding a HP match with the room full? Either the servers are junk or no one is seriously playing this on the PS3.

#1 reason why I always get 360 version of any multi-format title.

Square Triangle said:

GT5 might be swallowing everything up. I was thinking about getting this game, but I realized I wouldn't touch it after GT5.

marathonfool said:
GT5 might be swallowing everything up. I was thinking about getting this game, but I realized I wouldn't touch it after GT5.

Which is what I'm thinking, both it's a damn fine racing game. Crit did fantastic with this, aside from the soundtrack.

Thank God for custom soundtrack

i-Lo

Some more screens:

263dld5.jpg

30k3p1k.jpg

15pg1l3.jpg

21bruad.jpg

Pandemic

Square Triangle said:

By that, do you mean playing the online game mode with a full 4 v 4 (8 players) or going into a game lobby and finding that it isn't full as you enter. :S

Square Triangle said:
Which is what I'm thinking, both it's a damn fine racing game. Crit did fantastic with this, aside from the soundtrack.

Thank God for custom soundtrack
Yeah the soundtrack is really bad.

Pandemic said:
By that, do you mean playing the online game mode with a full 4 v 4 (8 players) or going into a game lobby and finding that it isn't full as you enter. :S

Both. I've had more than a couple 2 vs 2's which in Hot Pursuit is a damn boring..

If anyone is on PS3 by all means add me

Pandemic

Square Triangle said:
Both. I've had more than a couple 2 vs 2's which in Hot Pursuit is a damn boring..

If anyone is on PS3 by all means add me
I've been able to find games with 7 players, not including myself, at times I'll get into games with only 5 people but players join quite fast.

Add me, HostileForLife :D

dwebo

I love how every cop interceptor event is more annoying than the last. Fuck the cop career. So much concentrated un-fun in one place. I get it, Criterion, being a cop sucks.

UFRA said:
Just got the platinum trophy! Woohoo!

Took 31 hours of gameplay total. 100% game completion status. :D
Jeez, good job. I'd sooner gouge out my eyes than get gold in some of these events :-/

i-Lo

dwebo said:
I love how every cop interceptor event is more annoying than the last. Fuck the cop career. So much concentrated un-fun in one place. I get it, Criterion, being a cop sucks.

Gotta agree to some extent. I am enjoying the racer career far more. I really dislike the time trials with rapid response with 2 second penalty for any and all hits (excluding traffic which penalizes with 3 seconds).

Personally, it absolutely, unequivocally grinds my fucking gears to see around 15 second unskippable cutscenes which includes actually skipping the thing. As a person who is obsessed with topping friends' list charts it's beyond fucking annoying when I have to see the same shit after 20th time when I am trying to start what I hope would be a perfect lap.

It's not just annoying it's fucking retarded.

i-Lo said:
Personally, it absolutely, unequivocally grinds my fucking gears to see around 15 second unskippable cutscenes which includes actually skipping the thing. As a person who is obsessed with topping friends' list charts it's beyond fucking annoying when I have to see the same shit after 20th time when I am trying to start what I hope would be a perfect lap.

Fucking THIS. Pac-Man CE DX, now THAT'S how you do a level restart, it doesn't even play the full jingle! :lol

Still working my way through the career to unlock more cars. It has this "one more race" kind of feel when progressing because everything you do earns points. Can't wait to get more races in with fellow GAFfers, hopefully with some much better cars. Love the sense of speed in this game.

Square Triangle said:
No, I have no problems at all in that regard. I more or less exclusively play in full 4v4 games.

slaughterking said:
No, I have no problems at all in that regard. I more or less exclusively play in full 4v4 games.

Okay this is encouraging, i have the ps3 version and still havent played it but im afraid that no one will be playing it come gt5 next week. Don't wanna force to switch but thats still in the cards i guess.
PS3 ppl add me: devil_chicken.

I got this yesterday, but was only able to play it for an hour.

What a difference!

The handling is improved beyond all recognition from the demo, it transforms the game entirely.

And the soundtrack is absolutely awful.

More impressions later in the week. Excellent game.

Mar

i-Lo said:
Gotta agree to some extent. I am enjoying the racer career far more. I really dislike the time trials with rapid response with 2 second penalty for any and all hits (excluding traffic which penalizes with 3 seconds).

I actually enjoy the rapid response events. Initially I didn't, as I was in the "I WANT TO GO FAST" mode of play. But soon got used to it and realised it's nice for a change, it's cool to actually need to press the brake occasionally.

The skipped cut scenes on restarts that don't really skip are incredibly annoying, I have a feeling there's a technical reason for that though. I don't know why but I guess there's some loading that needs to happen.

The stuff that really shits me though is being unable to skip the new cars, leveling, and upgrade cut scenes though. Some of it I can understand, but the upgrade cut scenes are atrocious and I couldn't give two flying rat shits about the upgraded gear. It really does make me angry when those start popping up, especially when there's a bunch of them in a row, and especially when all I want to do is retry the event (pressing X on the summary screen for the event) but can't because there are awards to show me and I HAVE to watch them, shoving me back to the map screen afterward.

Otherwise the game is incredible.

Sectus

Some of the cop chatter in this game is so unintentionally cheesy. I ram into a suspect car so it goes flying and does several flips in midair, and then afterwards I hear radio chatter (presumably from myself) saying "Suspect has been stopped and speeding ticket has been issued, moving on.". That's hilarious considering what really happened :lol

I'm gonna stick to multiplayer for now. There's no varied weather so I'm not annoyed when seeing those missing effects, and every multiplayer event is always the fun hot pursuit mode. Unlike the singleplayer campaign which keeps throwing me the 1vs1 cop chases or the time trials which aren't even close to as fun as the hot pursuits.

UFRA

Sectus said:
Some of the cop chatter in this game is so unintentionally cheesy. I ram into a suspect car so it goes flying and does several flips in midair, and then afterwards I hear radio chatter (presumably from myself) saying "Suspect has been stopped and speeding ticket has been issued, moving on.". That's hilarious considering what really happened :lol

Even better is when the cop says "Suspect has been given a warning."

A WARNING????? I just completely ruined some guy's Lambo, and sent him flying off the edge of a cliff...and I gave him a warning?!?

:lol :lol

Gen X

I did take a cool pic earlier with the helicopter and some exotics but damn Autolog disconnected. It's not the first time it's happened, every time I can't log back in without quiting back to the dash and rebooting the game.

Anyway, here are two pics, same shot, different angles.

24w7tp5.jpg

b7c45z.jpg

I'm on PS3 and have no problems getting 4vs4 games online. What I do have a problem with is being the first one out as a racer. Seems like I get picked on a lot. Need to learn to create better seperation.

OneLetter

Is it just me, or is the cop side of the game easier than the racer side? The only silver medal I've received so far was trying to do the achievement with the GTR on "Run to the Hills", since the last guy finished before I could hit him once more.

Otherwise, I've been able to beat the gold times by a few minutes each time.

I also need to hop on and start doing some 1v1's with people online. 4v4's are fun, but when you get out in front as a racer using turbo and a full nitro meter, it's pretty much game over except for 1-2 road blocks.

OneLetter said:
Is it just me, or is the cop side of the game easier than the racer side? The only silver medal I've received so far was trying to do the achievement with the GTR on "Run to the Hills", since the last guy finished before I could hit him once more.

Otherwise, I've been able to beat the gold times by a few minutes each time.

I also need to hop on and start doing some 1v1's with people online. 4v4's are fun, but when you get out in front as a racer using turbo and a full nitro meter, it's pretty much game over except for 1-2 road blocks.
Well I haven't tried the racing side but I haven't thought being a cop was easy, I have a lot of bronze passes. =(

Top Bottom