• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

edbrat

Android18a said:
I like this a lot but I'm really, really crap at it.

Wanted level 4, and I'm finding it too hard now. I can't complete the time trial races and I keep getting busted on hot pursuits.

Is there an easy setting somewhere?

aye me too. There is no easy setting the only solution is for us to stop sucking at racing games godamnit!

I dug out my old Vision cam to take my racer profile photo since the game doesn't recognize Kinect but I can't see anywhere where I can take my photo. Is this option only available when you first create your profile?

Got all Distinction medals today, did that silly 70km event and obtained most of the time trial gold medals as a Racer. Wont take much longer before I'm done with the game.

slaughterking said:
Got all Distinction medals today, did that silly 70km event and obtained most of the time trial gold medals as a Racer. Wont take much longer before I'm done with the game.
Online is where the real game is.

Does anyone have tips for the american muscle cars taking corners well? I'm having trouble figuring out what they like. There's the event early ish that lets you choose the ford gt, camero or charger and I can't figure out the cornering.

Sometimes I seem to be able to take them at ~130 or 140 (mph) but these cars like to oversteer?

Should I be turning in late and pulling out of the turn? Seems like the AI cars are always taking the corners faster than I am so I'm guessing I'm losing too much speed on them but these cars aren't clicking with me.

I've managed significantly under gold times on the time trials for those exotics both racer and cop, so I'm pretty sure I'm just over thinking the handling on the american muscle or something. I got the gold in the race, I'm just kind of perplexed by how inconsistent my cornering seems to be.

Really liking the feel though. Both very NFS and BO:paradise feel, so different and familiar.

Gary Whitta said:
Online is where the real game is.
Yeah, well...the online is pretty cool for short bursts, but I kinda don't play games in short bursts so I don't think NfS can hold my attention beyond the gold medals.
I think I'm getting a good 30 hours out of the game when all is said and done, though. I'm cool with that.

see5harp

slaughterking said:
Yeah, well...the online is pretty cool for short bursts, but I kinda don't play games in short bursts so I don't think NfS can hold my attention beyond the gold medals.
I think I'm getting a good 30 hours out of the game when all is said and done, though. I'm cool with that.

I do think doing the insanely difficult time trials do prepare you for the online in a way. You start to figure out which short cuts actually help and how much to brake on corners. That will help you a ton online because if you're up front you will make fewer mistakes. I'm all done with the COP stuff and am getting close to finishing up the races.

see5harp

Gary Whitta said:
I'm online if anyone wants to race'n'chase!

I'm game for some online interceptor (1v1) later if anyone, including Gary, wants to try that out. I have a feeling it will be less fun than the 4 v 4 stuff but hey there's an achievement.

crispyben

Hawk xSx said:
What's that consist of?
Unlock the Racers version of previous Cops exclusives Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT 5, Aston Martin DBS, Audi R8 5.2 FSI, Mercedes-Benz McLaren 722 Edition, Lamborgini Reventon, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 and Chevrolet Corvette Z06...

OneLetter

Just finished the entire single player portion. Cops side is definitely easier than the racer. I finished the cop side at Level 12, while the racer was 18.

Still a lot of fun, now I just need to grind out the final cop levels and play about 16 more games of 1v1 Interceptor. If anyone wants to play over the next hour or so, invite me on 360, GT = "OneLetter"

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Gary Whitta said:
I dug out my old Vision cam to take my racer profile photo since the game doesn't recognize Kinect but I can't see anywhere where I can take my photo. Is this option only available when you first create your profile?
IDK, I just changed my profile pic through the NFS website.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm no slouch at racing games. Played tons of them. Gran Turismo. Forza. Burnout. Blur. Split Second. Whiplash. Pole Position. Interstate 76.

Yet

I cannot for the life of me figure out how this game wants me to corner. I'm up to level 5 or 6, and I still have no idea what the physics wants from me.

I've done these so far:

Slow down to a speed that will not cause the car to drift before hitting the corner. AI drivers all pass me. I'm in last place. All my speed is gone.

Let go of the gas on entering the corner. If I happen to not get one single tire squeal, I can maintain my speed somewhat. This is very rare. More than likely the turn is too much and I get tire squeal. AI driver whips by me, and my speed bottoms out.

Drift. As soon as I get the tire squeal noise, AI driver blows by me. Speed bleeds badly.

Tap the e-brake. Slight tire squeal, and 25% of the time I can ease my car out of it and maintain my speed. This seems to be the only way to corner without losing immense amounts of speed, but depending on the car, it can be impossible, and will result in a speed-sucking drift every time it is attempted.

What the hell do they want me to do here.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
FlyinJ said:
I cannot for the life of me figure out how this game wants me to corner. I'm up to level 5 or 6, and I still have no idea what the physics wants from me.

I've done these so far:

Slow down to a speed that will not cause the car to drift before hitting the corner. AI drivers all pass me. I'm in last place. All my speed is gone.

Let go of the gas on entering the corner. If I happen to not get one single tire squeal, I can maintain my speed somewhat. This is very rare. More than likely the turn is too much and I get tire squeal. AI driver whips by me, and my speed bottoms out.

Drift. As soon as I get the tire squeal noise, AI driver blows by me. Speed bleeds badly.

Tap the e-brake. Slight tire squeal, and 25% of the time I can ease my car out of it and maintain my speed. This seems to be the only way to corner without losing immense amounts of speed, but depending on the car, it can be impossible, and will result in a speed-sucking drift every time it is attempted.

What the hell do they want me to do here.

I just say "fuck it" and play it like Daytona USA or Ridge Racer. Go into the turn on the outside, tap the brakes, drop the hammer, turn, countersteer.

I do fine with that, unless I drift into a traffic car. :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
twinturbo2 said:
I just say "fuck it" and play it like Daytona USA or Ridge Racer. Go into the turn on the outside, tap the brakes, drop the hammer, turn, countersteer.

I do fine with that, unless I drift into a traffic car. :lol

So you just let the AI get ahead of you all the time? Because when I play like that, every corner results in an AI driver going in front of me.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
FlyinJ said:
So you just let the AI get ahead of you all the time? Because when I play like that, every corner results in an AI driver going in front of me.
I usually boost to get back up to speed. Hope that helps a bit.

see5harp

In general, the AI usually gains speed on the corners if you are doing a drift. Stay as wide as you can though. That seems to help in maintaining speed and make sure you are boosting out of EVERY turn and especially in the uphill sections. Once you get to the faster cars, sense of speed feels much better.

Gary Whitta said:
No you can definately do it after the fact. Should be somewhere under options, off of the main menu. I want to say it says something about player profile or something.

UFRA

crispyben said:
Unlock the Racers version of previous Cops exclusives Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT 5, Aston Martin DBS, Audi R8 5.2 FSI, Mercedes-Benz McLaren 722 Edition, Lamborgini Reventon, Bugatti Veyron 16.4 and Chevrolet Corvette Z06...

It was worth it for me just for these. :D

Mar

Gary Whitta said:

Back out to the autolog menu screen thing, and press X to enter options. Then choose Profile or whatever it is. There you can take a pic with the camera.

FlyinJ said:

I asked the same thing earlier. You sort of have to learn the track and which turns you can take without having to drift. Turn in pretty early, don't tap the brake or let off the gas. If the car can make the turn that way, it's the fastest way to take the turn.

For the most part, it seems like most L corners there is some line that will let you take it at full speed. I only ever need to drift on switchbacks, and that is full out braking into the turn to get to about 120 130 mph and then countersteering out to control the line/speed. Lvl 9 races, so this might change as the cars get faster (I hit about 160 or 170 with boost right now, but like the corvette cop timetrial there is more braking into a turn involved to make it cause the thing reaches 210).

It is definitely unlearning any brake on entry accelerate out stuff from most recent racers though. Pedal to the metal all the way.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
FlyinJ said:

This what I do, if the corner is a tight left, just before the corner I move as far right as I can, then tap the brake (very light tap) as I start to swing in and then drop the hammer making sure the back of the car swings out and you're cutting right on the inside of the corner so your inside front wheel would almost be on the gravel. As you pass the apex slowly start straightening out. With this technique I can exit a corner at 270+kph (320kph = 200mph) then hit the nitrous.

Gary Whitta said:
It's in the options. Press X for settings.

FlyinJ said:
I was really struggling with this too, until I saw the one tip they had: The longer you hold the brakes, the longer the drift. I tried it out, and it almost feels right with me braking before turns.

AlphaTwo00 said:
I was really struggling with this too, until I saw the one tip they had: The longer you hold the brakes, the longer the drift. I tried it out, and it almost feels right with me braking before turns.
So you're saying standard brake into the turn, then handbrake while in the turn? Or just regular brakes?

Neuromancer said:
So you're saying standard brake into the turn, then handbrake while in the turn? Or just regular brakes?
I'm doing regular brakes. Handbrakes seems to be only really useful for 180 turns for dodging/evasive moves in interceptor races.

RedStep

Neuromancer said:

Standard. I personally never touch the handbrake except when turning around to catch a wily racer. Tap the brake early, lean the car into the curve. If you approach the wall (or offroad), either increase your angle or tap the nitrous to stay on the road.

AdamMPSP

Gary Whitta said:

Also, for those without the vision cam (or who don't want to dig it out) you can upload any image to use as your racer image by going to hotpursuit.needforspeed.com and logging into your autolog.

Teknoman

AdamMPSP said:
Also, for those without the vision cam (or who don't want to dig it out) you can upload any image to use as your racer image by going to hotpursuit.needforspeed.com and logging into your autolog.

Thats for the heads up.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AdamMPSP said:
So wait. I have to drink some dr pepper and enter some codes, to get some more codes, to get some cars that can't be unlocked in the game any other way?

I'm not pissed, just wanna make sure.
That's how I read it, it's for the X360 version only, though.

I'm starting to become really fucking frustrated with the EMP, what qualifies as a successful lock-on and what doesn't seems completely arbitrary to me.

Gary Whitta said:
I'm starting to become really fucking frustrated with the EMP, what qualifies as a successful lock-on and what doesn't seems completely arbitrary to me.
shit is useless to me, it's successful like 20% of the time at best.

in before 'get better at games n00b!"

Also add to that list helicopters that seemingly have no idea where the bad guys are and are instead content to drop spike strips right in front of the cops.

Zeliard

Gary Whitta said:

I think it's just about distance from the target. Once you're actually locked on, you should only have to keep up with the other car and you should be good. I've never really had an issue with it - I hit them regularly. But they're also not very effective even if you do get a hit, unless you use them in timely places in certain tracks, or to finish cars off.

This game is an amazing amount of fun. <3 Criterion.

Gary Whitta said:
It seems that even though EMPs are getting upgraded for you, the AI starts getting better at evading, which breaks the lock-on...

Top Bottom