• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

faridmon

Fuck, I may have to get this one now. Was thinking of Getting Either Enslaved or AC: Brotherhood. But this may be the answer for fun friday nights.

USF

PS3 photos

pic.jpg

pic.jpg

AlphaTwo00 said:
Watch This Trailer One Million Times, Get Three Free Cars for Hot Pursuit
OK EA I'll make a deal with you. I'll play this video in the background, but not actually watch it, in exchange for you forcing me to watch that Shift 2 commercial. Fair? :D

DasRaven

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just picked up a PS3 copy of this. :D

It was kind of an impulse buy but it was a good deal and Criterion have yet to disappoint me. Should be fun, I'll be needing peeps to play so PS3 dudes should add me if they need a rival.

derFeef

Opus Angelorum said:
The engine noises are fantastic, I recommend turning the music volume down (or off) to appreciate them.
Ah, another one with music off, very good :) Altough I think the engine volume is a bit too low.

jambo

First race I was like "meh" then after about 3 more I was on the edge of my seat and fucking loving it.

Laughed out loud so many times at close calls and crazy crashes.

Amazing game!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Honestly the no. 1 thing that sold me was Giant Bomb's description of the crashes in their recent Podcast.

I fucking love crashes.

Anyone have any good tips on how to shake off an EMP lock? That's the weak link in my game right now. The old trick of throwing yourself into a hard e-brake u-turn doesn't seem to work as well as it did with the lower-level EMPs.

Jin34

Damn I had completely forgotten this was made by Criterion :lol

So from what I've read its 30fps on PS360 and 60fps on PC right? Any issues with the PC version? Good port or bad port?

FStop7

Banned
Scored a copy of this for $4.95 from Amazon using their Black Friday price plus my store credits.

Burnout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, I hope this brings some of that kind of fun. I need spectacular, over the top crashes. Need them.

JdFoX187

Banned
I though the Autolog would be a dumb addition that I'd never pay any attention to. But after spending an hour last time breaking a friend of mine's time, it's become addicting. He's a HUGE racing fan, so outdoing him at anything on here is always fun.

ACH1LL3US

Jin34 said:

So from what I've read its 30fps on PS360 and 60fps on PC right? Any issues with the PC version? Good port or bad port?

So far the pc version doesnt allow AA on Nvidia cards and there is some owrk around fo rusing AA on the ATi cards... I really hope they get AA running on both cards!

Zeliard

Jin34 said:

Alright port. As a typical modern console port it's almost entirely devoid of visual customization settings, including a lack of AA that I'm not sure can even be forced through nHancer with an nVidia card, but the game still runs well and looks nice. Most importantly, it's fun as fuck.

Emitan

FStop7 said:
Burnout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, I hope this brings some of that kind of fun. I need spectacular, over the top crashes. Need them.
I have so many awesome memories of buying a broadband adapter for my PS2 just to play Burnout 3 online. You could drive through non player controlled cars to account for lag, and it stuttered a lot, but it was still some of the most fun I've ever had online. I just ordered the PS3 version off of Amazon for $35 and I'm hoping it can bring back those memories. My PSN account is "VelociraptorBill" if anyone wants to add me, only one of my friends has this game.

Gary Whitta said:
Anyone have any good tips on how to shake off an EMP lock? That's the weak link in my game right now. The old trick of throwing yourself into a hard e-brake u-turn doesn't seem to work as well as it did with the lower-level EMPs.
Agreed. For me it really feels like spikes/jammers are really the only option.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I can't wait to start playing this. Anyone on PSN that wants to play can send me a PM via GAF and we can meet up. I should have my copy Tuesday.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Had time for a few races before work. Seems pretty cool, I had a couple nice crashes.

one problem: can I not honk my horn? what the fuck is this shit.

Oneself

twinturbo2 said:
Done, but it's only at 150K views and the deadline is December 12th. What can we do???

Facebook it and spam the shit out of your hotmail contacts. Tell them to watch it and send it to at least 500 000 others or else they die by fire in the next few days

Okay seriously, FUCK HELICOPTERS. They seriously need some kind of AI patch. They are more trouble to police than they are worth. They will let racers blow past then drop spikes RIGHT IN FRONT OF COPS. WTF? FIX IT CRITERION.

Pandemic

Question, when someone deploys 2 spike strips, is it possible that the car can hit both spike strips, and cause even more damage...?

Snuggler said:
Had time for a few races before work. Seems pretty cool, I had a couple nice crashes.

one problem: can I not honk my horn? what the fuck is this shit.
Y on Xbox changes the cop siren (hold to turn off/on.) Have yet to play a non police car but I'd think that would do the horn too. I guess that'd be triangle on the PS3.

crispyben

Pandemic said:
Question, when someone deploys 2 spike strips, is it possible that the car can hit both spike strips, and cause even more damage...?
Never happened to me, hitting someone cancels all other actions.

In other NFS news I just saw on the in-game newsfeed that an iPhone autolog app is coming soon, so you can get alerted when friends beat your times no matter where you are! :lol

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Picked it up earlier today -- first Need for Speed-game I've bought since Underground, iirc. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far and the online mode is quite addicting.

I've got a question though, do the cars differ in how much of a beating they can take?

I cannot recall a game which has made me want to kick in my fucking TV screen more than this one. I have a feeling I am going to wind up doing exactly that and sending the bill to Criterion.

Pandemic

Question, on the Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit website, when you use the Autolog feature, how come statistics such as driver details, service record, etc are empty?

Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Just noticed the 'Coming Soon' sign, would be good if they had this feature set up on release....

Bebpo

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I cannot recall a game which has made me want to kick in my fucking TV screen more than this one. I have a feeling I am going to wind up doing exactly that and sending the bill to Criterion.

I haven't played HP yet, but this seems to be the common factor between the single player mode of all arcade racers these days.

Split/Second - incredibly frustrating bullshit
Blur - I don't have first hand experience but I hear it gets pretty frustrating by the end
Flatout UC - I was playing this all morning and wanted to break the controller at times

I'd say the single player arcade racer genre is probably the most rage inducing genre of games you can play. Usually because one mistake 3-5 mins into a perfect race can totally screw you over (and in weapon-based games, it might not even be a mistake; just bad luck) and cause you to have wasted that time.

What a lot of these frustrating arcade racers have in common is that they don't have any difficulty levels. So they just lump the good and bad racers together and try to make a difficulty that challenges them all. Which basically makes the game quite hard for a lot of people. More games should use difficulty settings like PGR did.

Surprisingly Burnout Paradise was one of the least frustrating racers I thought, so kind of surprised to hear Criterion boosted up the rage factor in HP.

I think the introduction of "rewind" options has really helped make the single player portion of racing games more enjoyable and less rage. Just a shame not everyone has jumped on that bandwagon. I don't think I'd ever have beaten Dirt 2 without it.

just had a great online session. Man this game is so much fun multiplayer. It really did the "adult Mario Kart' thing that Blur was trying to achieve.

I don't know whats going with amazon.ca price on the PC game. They are selling it for 69.76 which is almost $80 after tax. That $10 more than brick and mortar stores( that has it)

Snuggler said:
Honestly the no. 1 thing that sold me was Giant Bomb's description of the crashes in their recent Podcast.

I fucking love crashes.
I was wavering on the game even though I loved BP but yeah, that GB discussion made me finally just sit down and play it. And then 3 hours later I realized I just spent 3 hours on the game without really blinking. :lol

The soundtrack is not that good. I need to grab some good driving songs off my computer and make a playlist.

edit: that loyalty program...I got 1000 pts but I only have a save for BP. I have two saves - one disc, one PSN - so maybe that's how?

Top Bottom