• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Square Triangle said:
Just go based what controller you prefer. For me I love the placement of the DS3 sticks for racers. (Too cheap for a wheel =P)

That and racing games are the one genre where I actually prefer the mushy L2/R2 buttons. They feel like tiny gas and brake pedals.

Can you export photos from the 360 version? I haven't done much with photos yet but usually PS3 games with similar features will let you export to XMB and put them on a USB stick or whateva.

Kolgar

Xun said:
Still unsure what platform to get this on. :/

PC is out of the question since I'm a Mac user! :lol

On which console do you have more friends who might play the game? Go with that one. I usually buy multiplats for my 360, but this time I went PS3.

Although it does seem a lot of guys in here have the PS3 version. Any particular reason, dudes?

All indications are that the game looks and plays virtually identically on PS3 and 360. On 360, you have the convenience of installing to the hard drive. Otherwise, close your eyes and pick one!

Snuggler said:
Can you export photos from the 360 version? I haven't done much with photos yet but usually PS3 games with similar features will let you export to XMB and put them on a USB stick or whateva.

I think you have to retrieve all your photos from the Autolog website. I looked on the XMB and none of my photos showed up.

DasRaven

Curufinwe said:
Can you use the right analog stick for gas & brake on the PS3 version?

You can free assign contols to buttons and analog directions, even select.
You could actually map gas/brake/left/right all to the left analog if you wanted.
I bought it on PS3 because I don't have a PS3 racing game and am passing on GT5.

DasRaven said:
You could actually map gas/brake/left/right all to the left analog if you wanted.
I bought it on PS3 because I don't have a PS3 racing game and am passing on GT5.

2ylpxjl.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I passed on GT5 too. I even considered buying it for a moment at Best Buy, but I reminded myself that I hate sim racers and put it back. They're like good racing games but with every single drop of fun sucked out. I fuckin love arcadey racers, though, so I'm happy with my choice.

Snuggler said:
I passed on GT5 too. I even considered buying it for a moment at Best Buy, but I reminded myself that I hate sim racers and put it back. They're like good racing games but with every single drop of fun sucked out. I fuckin love arcadey racers, though, so I'm happy with my choice.
qri5pg.jpg

DonMigs85

Snuggler said:
I wish I had gone this route too, but fortunately that stupid book that came with GT5 is a pretty interesting read at least.

Curufinwe

DasRaven said:

Thanks, I just got my free month of Amazon Prime and ordered it.

I still can't get the hang of cornering in this game. Using a wheel, maybe that makes it worse. I'm really not enjoying it any more, lack of difficulty select is a really bad design choice. At this point I'm enjoying Shift (which I got free with this game) about 10x more. Also knowing if/when I beat the cop challenges there will be nothing for me to do (no quick race option, and freeride sucks) is a bummer too.

Glad everyone else is enjoying it so much, though.

mango drank

Snuggler said:

Honestly, I'm thinking about doing the same. I played Prologue a little bit a few weeks ago to get hyped for GT5, and after a few races, I realized I wasn't having any fun. It's a beautiful game, but over the years I've spent with the series, I've come to realize I love everything about it except the races. I'm not terrible at them, but it IS a constant struggle in my case, and it wears on me. B-spec mode in GT4 was a godsend. :D

I look up to the people who can drive real well in these and get some thrill out of it, though.

mango drank

Neuromancer said:
I still can't get the hang of cornering in this game. Using a wheel, maybe that makes it worse. I'm really not enjoying it any more, lack of difficulty select is a really bad design choice.

Are you using pedals too, or buttons on the wheel? It's probably been mentioned in this thread, but to take tight corners, all you need to do is tap on the brake for a fraction of a second and let go, all the while not letting go of the gas. You'll enter into a drift which will take you around the bend. If you've got boost, use it to rocket out of the turn. Less severe corners you can probably take just by letting go of the gas for a fraction of a second.

brohmbel said:
Are you using pedals too, or buttons on the wheel? It's probably been mentioned in this thread, but to take tight corners, all you need to do is tap on the brake for a fraction of a second and let go, all the while not letting go of the gas. You'll enter into a drift which will take you around the bend. If you've got boost, use it to rocket out of the turn. Less severe corners you can probably take just by letting go of the gas for a fraction of a second.
All right I'll give that a shot, thanks.

I want to shunt to death racers online who come to a stop and try to lag behind the cops as a strategy. I'm sure it's acceptable but I hate them. I've even lost as the cops because a single racer was so far behind we couldn't even find him, and we ended up finishing the race before him thinking maybe he'd time out (I thought we'd auto-win or something being so far ahead and finishing first). Since it gives you a huge buffer to finish I guess he completed it. I never even saw him finish, honestly. I've noticed a lot of racers trying harder not to get busted than actually win the race. Still a fantastic game though.

Just get slightly annoyed that we can all be flying at top speed then suddenly a guy or two just slams on their brakes and it's either take the fun out and stop to try to get them or keep hauling ass to get the guy in first who doesn't do it.

XBL: blah blah cr

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll add ya later, Ego. But you can't possibly be worse than me. I tend to suck at racers, but damn, I'm even worse than usual at this one. I still can't get a decent time on the Police time trials where you have to avoid hitting shit. Last time I tried I finished like 30 seconds over the gold time and I ended up crashing across the finish line and into the scene of the crime, which was kind of funny at least.

the only ones I'm good at is the takedown missions since I'm good at driving into shit.

NJ Shlice

I love this game so much it's hard to explain. I really love the feel of the cars and the crazy action that ensues. And of course I love the frustration.

I do not like how you lose time when you hit a wall on police time-trials. Makes it so much harder to get gold.

By far my favorite car in the game (so far. I'm only at level 10 police officer):

pic.jpg

egocrata

Banned
This game is just brilliant. The Autolog competitive aspect of the whole thing will haunt me for months.

The only thing I sorta resent is that there are not enough Hot Pursuit missions. Oh, and I want career coop, too, if I may. Online is an absolute blast, and it looks like most people take the racing seriously - I haven´t seen too many antisocial behavior out there. It helps that the game does not have competitive leaderboards.

Intercept online is crazy fun, too.

crispyben

Gary Whitta said:
I've pretty much entirely foregone playing the single-player career in favor of online which is much more fun.
Well, you still rank up online, you just don't do it through the SP events :D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can't really seem to care about Autolog. It's really neat that it tells me what cars were used by my friends that got '1st on the speedwall'(the only useful part about it to me), but once I get those gold medals...autolog feels utterly pointless. I got the gold! I'm never going to revisit that damn race again to beat a time my friends will care even less about! What miniscule percentage of players are actually being so headstrong about capitalizing every second of time on every event beyond the gold medals?

Other minor complaints:

-No car selection button before retry sucks. It's 2010!! Criterion has done a billion racing games, what the flying fuck is this amateur hour garbage?? Really? They make me back all the way out if I want to try a different vehicle for an event? Just irritating.

-Too many damn 'preview' events and 'time trials'. The worst parts of Burnout clog up the campaign. I'm 8 hours in and for every Hot pursuit event I do at least 4-5 Time trials/Previews. Looking at my event list currently, I have a single cop vs. racer event and 6(!) time trials waiting for me. What is the title of this game?

-Online is fun, wish it had playlists. I don't know what car class I want to race with! Just get me racing with peeps! Super? Exotic? I don't know or care! Why can't it auto cycle and throw in some surprises for a group to enjoy? Just feels more tacked on than truly thought out. I suppose with all the love I wasn't expecting a 'lobby experience' that feels ripped from years ago.

All told I am addicted to getting all golds and earning all achievements. Compared to Burnout 3/4, Paradise, and NFS2(PS2), it's not nearly going to be as memorable. The tracks are mostly bland, the online is fun and functional but hardly creative, and the core career is dry. I'm always fond of fast arcade racers and this delivers, but it merely -just- delivers. Criterion and NFS have done better.

Snuggler said:
have to agree. Although i can enjoy sim racers for a short while, I much rather play Mario kart, Burnout paradise, etc.
Driving a virtual car in circles is actually pretty fucking boring.

crispyben said:
Well, you still rank up online, you just don't do it through the SP events :D
Yeah that's what I like about it, SP and MP all goes toward the same career.

I seem to be getting far fewer car unlocks now I'm at a fairly high level (15).

Mar

I took a bunch of really cool photos but when I backed out to the menu the NFS servers went down. The photos were lost...

So, I guess photos don't upload until you've exited the current session? I must have driven around for an hour in free drive.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I actually noticed the showroom videos. They're only for the Porsches, the Bentley, and two of the Mercedes Benzes, but it's still awesome nonetheless. :D

iNvid02

just found my new fav mode - interceptor.

1. you can drive anywhere you want freely
2. you get tons of weapons
3. its piss easy to escape/catch people (for me anyway, went on a 15 win streak)
4. you get 10,000 bounty each game + most games end twice as fast as races)

Top Bottom