• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

aparisi2274

Tree? What Tree??? Oh, this tree....

pic.jpg

I'm Ok, but I feel bad for that car in the back right corner...

pic.jpg

Sweet ride!!

pic.jpg

Little blur effect...

pic.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
this game is awesome

serious

I've been playing the Cop freeride or whatever mode. I like pulling over cars then smashing into them and driving away. The actual races are a blast, the perfect spot between arcadey craziness and realistic handling. I'm glad I got this one, but I need some bitches on PS3 since I only have a couple of PSN friends to compete with ATM.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I love that it boots up with the custom soundtrack you set. So nice to hear good music when you hit the menu instead of the horrible shit that EA puts on their soundtracks.

what an awesome game, I'm just having fun trying to get time while not crashing into shit

Sectus

Snuggler said:
I love that it boots up with the custom soundtrack you set. So nice to hear good music when you hit the menu instead of the horrible shit that EA puts on their soundtracks.

what an awesome game, I'm just having fun trying to get time while not crashing into shit
Game supports custom soundtracks on the 360/PS3? :(

Darnit, I want the same on PC version. It should have been super easy to for them to support to. Just make the game automatically read oggs/mp3s in a directory called music or something. Every time I enter a race I keep skipping tracks until I find something which isn't completely awful.

derFeef

The PC Patch is out.
http://www.needforspeed.com/downloads
- Quad-core CPU’s crash
- Dreamshots are corrupted in non-16:9 aspect ratios: If you configure your game with a different resolution that yields an aspect ratio that’s not 16:9, dreamshots and snapshots were corrupted. This has been fixed.
- Missing rain, snow and corona effects
- CL Eye driver crashes the game

New Features:
- D-Box motion chair support

KAL2006

Banned
I haven't read up anything about NFS Hot Pursuit, but will I like this game if I enjoyed the old Burnout games. Basically I want classic Burnout gameplay, no open world (sandbox), boost and takedowns. Also do you have to play in cop chases, can't I just have a standard race like the old burnout games.

BeeDog

Snuggler said:
this game is awesome

serious

I've been playing the Cop freeride or whatever mode. I like pulling over cars then smashing into them and driving away. The actual races are a blast, the perfect spot between arcadey craziness and realistic handling. I'm glad I got this one, but I need some bitches on PS3 since I only have a couple of PSN friends to compete with ATM.

Add me on PSN (PSN ID same as my GAF name). I'm playing this game on and off and also would like some PS3 competition. :D

Oneself

KAL2006 said:
I haven't read up anything about NFS Hot Pursuit, but will I like this game if I enjoyed the old Burnout games. Basically I want classic Burnout gameplay, no open world (sandbox), boost and takedowns. Also do you have to play in cop chases, can't I just have a standard race like the old burnout games.

This is closer to B3:takedown than Paradise was, exept that you'll often face cops!! I loved B3 (and B4) but didn't like Paradise BTW.
About playing as a cop, you should like it if you enjoyed the takedown challenges and time attacks...

KAL2006

Banned
Oneself said:
This is closer to B3:takedown than Paradise was, exept that you'll often face cops!! I loved B3 (and B4) but didn't like Paradise BTW.
About playing as a cop, you should like it if you enjoyed the takedown challenges and time attacks...

cool but are there normal races I can play online, where I can do takedowns without being a cop. Basically I want to be able to play a standard multiplayer race with takedowns and boosts to help me win the race (just like Burnout).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
KAL2006 said:

There's technically an open world but you really just select events and drive on a closed point to point circuit with a few shortcuts or branches. It is not much like Burnout Paradise. There's no racing inside cities. It's all flowing long routes.

There's two sides to the career basically, racer and cop missions. I suppose you don't really have to focus on cop missions. You can just play the racer side.

However, the way it plays out is much like Burnout in terms of takedown combat if you're a cop, except you have a few extra power-ups to deploy to screw with your targets. Cop races to me seem like an enhanced Road Rage mode from Burnout, really.

There's a demo to download.

Oneself

KAL2006 said:
cool but are there normal races I can play online, where I can do takedowns without being a cop. Basically I want to be able to play a standard multiplayer race with takedowns and boosts to help me win the race (just like Burnout).

I haven't played online so far but.. when you race against cops in single player, you can't really take down the other racers but you can beat the hell out of cops.

Circle T

So, I ordered this game yesterday during the sale at Amazon. It just showed up, and they actually sent me the "Limited Edition" version of the game. Did they screw up, or is that just what all the early copies of the game are labeled as? And, I haven't entered the LE code yet, but is it just extra cars that you unlock?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Pandemic said:
Question, when someone deploys 2 spike strips, is it possible that the car can hit both spike strips, and cause even more damage...?
It can only hit once, although I would think that it would hit two cars if done right.

So I just bought this, and opened it up....and the disk practically fell in my lap because it wasn't secured on the center thingie. I Vader Nooooooooooooed (I guess I'm pretty anal retentive about my games) and grabbed a soft cloth to wipe it. End result? Pristine disk. Guess blu ray protective coating works eh? :lol Hope my impressions of the actual game are better than the unboxing. :D

Any gaffers wanna add me, I'm ElectricSheepNB on psn, I've never bothered with online games on my PS3 before so I need some autolog fwiends pwease. :p

egocrata

Banned
Got the game yesterday - I was torn between GT5 and NFS, but my love for Burnout Paradise prevailed. Boy, did I made the right choice. LOVE this game.

Anyway, no one in my friends list hast it, so please GAF, add me to your races:

PSN ID is Egocrata.

Thanks!

Sai-kun

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I cannot recall a game which has made me want to kick in my fucking TV screen more than this one. I have a feeling I am going to wind up doing exactly that and sending the bill to Criterion.

I was playing that mission with the Aston-Martin where the Distinction time is 1:51:00, and I was raging SO FUCKING HARDDDD at the game whenever I would mess up. After like 20 restarts, i finally beat and I yelled "FUCK YOU, GAME!"

But I felt very accomplished because on my final try, I fucking nailed it :D

kaskade

I didn't realize the game was 35 bucks on amazon. I really need to stop spending moeny though. Maybe I'll put it on my xmas list. :D

Kolgar

MAN, I forgot how exhilarating those old Need for Speed games used to be, outrunning the cops or taking fools down. Once again, I'm glad I ignored a Criterion demo... this game's all right!

1183dhf.jpg

a2vtys.jpg

As much as I love Autolog and how its making me super competitive, I really want to see how my times stack up against the world.

BTW, Stampede with the Lambos when you first unlock the turbo is such a great hot pursuit race :D

Snuggler said:
this game is awesome

serious

I'll add ya, look for Jrod87

And this goes for anyone else on GAF looking to compete, add me.

Raife

Just got this game and I'm a few hours in. People weren't kidding when they said this was hard! I've played tons of previous NFS and Burnout games and I'm having trouble getting golds about 10-12 events in.

Is this more like a game where I need to accept being 2nd or 3rd and then come back to the race once I unlock a better car?

Circle T

Does anyone else feel like the steering in the game is ACTIVELY trying to wreck you? When I'm on a straight, any little touch of the stick makes the car twitch all over the road. But the minute that an oncoming car, or something, is in my way, I can't seem to get the car to budge from its line, and crash into everything. It feels similar to a shooter with very overzealous auto-aim. I was hoping to find a "Steering Assist" option in the menu that I could turn off, but no.

Otherwise, though, I'm really enjoying the game. I like the setup of the races, I like the progression system, Autolog features are pretty good, and the game looks great. I just wish there was something I could do about the handling. Oh well :/

Circle T said:
Does anyone else feel like the steering in the game is ACTIVELY trying to wreck you? When I'm on a straight, any little touch of the stick makes the car twitch all over the road. But the minute that an oncoming car, or something, is in my way, I can't seem to get the car to budge from its line, and crash into everything. It feels similar to a shooter with very overzealous auto-aim. I was hoping to find a "Steering Assist" option in the menu that I could turn off, but no.

Otherwise, though, I'm really enjoying the game. I like the setup of the races, I like the progression system, Autolog features are pretty good, and the game looks great. I just wish there was something I could do about the handling. Oh well :/
I know, right? There will be times where I'll see a shortcut coming up on the map so I get the car in position to do a hard left/right and the car will just scootch over a tiny bit and hit the divider head-on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Square Triangle said:
I'll add ya, look for Jrod87

And this goes for anyone else on GAF looking to compete, add me.

cool

I'll be sending out some requests next time I'm on the PS3, I look forward to eating your dust. Just be warned, I run muthafuckas off the road.

magnificent83 said:
As much as I love Autolog and how its making me super competitive, I really want to see how my times stack up against the world.
Not only that, but I also think saving and sharing Ghost data (at least for time trials) would've made the Autolog even better.

Circle T said:
So, I ordered this game yesterday during the sale at Amazon. It just showed up, and they actually sent me the "Limited Edition" version of the game. Did they screw up, or is that just what all the early copies of the game are labeled as? And, I haven't entered the LE code yet, but is it just extra cars that you unlock?
They are all limited edition. When you activate your online pass they give you the bonus cars.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm so happy right now.

I started the game yesterday, but had played around 4 hours. Then just a few minutes ago I put the disc in, start it up, and then my PS3 freezes during a load. I shut it off and, when I come back, the game shows me the Shift 2 trailer and all that other stuff like I had never played the game before.

And, guess what: I haven't. Back to level 1 racer and cop.

Wooo!

mango drank

I can probably easily look this up, but I'll ask here out of laziness: how do you add friends to Autolog on PS3? Do you have to do friend requests through PSN first, get them to accept you as friends there, and then Hot Pursuit will auto-detect which of your PSN friends have the game and add them to Autolog? I've tried looking for ways to add through the game itself, no luck.

Also, some shots from an insane crash I had yesterday.
pic.jpg

pic.jpg

Emitan

brohmbel said:
I can probably easily look this up, but I'll ask here out of laziness: how do you add friends to Autolog on PS3? Do you have to do friend requests through PSN first, get them to accept you as friends there, and then Hot Pursuit will auto-detect which of your PSN friends have the game and add them to Autolog? I've tried looking for ways to add through the game itself, no luck.
You do it through PSN. My ID is "VelociraptorBill" if anyone wants to add me. I only have one friend with this game.

Top Bottom