• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

ram

The Antitype said:
Hey guys, I need some feedback.

We're getting reports through the social channels that PS3 users are feeling a noticeable difference in handling since the update went up. The general consensus from those reporting the issue is that the cars feel 'heavier' and less responsive.

This doesn't make a lick of sense, since there isn't a line of code in the update that has anything to do with car handling, but you never know with 1s and 0s.

Anybody playing the PS3 version feel this change?

Thanks.

nothing, but some cars feels heavier than others right from the start (for example the bentley)

is it possible to listen to a custom soundtrack when playing the career mode? i cant change the music on ps3 (not ingame or with xmb).

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but apparently Nvidia's fix for the game's back buffer issues (anti-aliasing) has been submitted. Might make the next beta drivers.

Hey guys, just a heads up. The Super Sports Pack went live this morning. 3 new cars and 13 new events.

And they're ALL Rapid Response!

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

ACH1LL3US

The Antitype said:
Hey guys, just a heads up. The Super Sports Pack went live this morning. 3 new cars and 13 new events.

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Can pc users get this dlc?

TheOctagon said:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but apparently Nvidia's fix for the game's back buffer issues (anti-aliasing) has been submitted. Might make the next beta drivers

This is very great news!! Imagine this game at 1080p with 4 or more times AA!! Can't wait! Any links to this news?

Nyx

The Jetset event is killing me, top 3 racers are gone and never to be seen again within 30 seconds.

I guess you need all shortcuts ?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
egocrata said:
It is me, or the Crown Victoria is by far the best police car in the sports category?

I posted virtually the same thing a week ago, even framed it as a "is it just me" question. Great minds etc. etc.

One of my buddies in college drove a black Crown Vic one summer. It really did freak people out in real life too.

Nyx said:
The Jetset event is killing me, top 3 racers are gone and never to be seen again within 30 seconds.

I guess you need all shortcuts ?

Shortcuts, slip-streaming and lots of driving on the other-side of the road. Anything that builds boost. Keep drifting in check, it only slows you down.

Sectus

The Antitype said:

Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Really? o.0 A bit weird they'd only be making events of the type people liked the least.

RedStep

The Antitype said:

Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Well, that's awesome to know after I purchased the $7 pack that promised "13 new race events!" or whatever.

Uhhh... regarding updates, have you considered either extending the time limits or eliminating the insane choice to penalize "wall" bumps in an arcade racer? GT5 and Forza are for staying off the wall, because I'm not driving blind against traffic through the forest in the rain. Whoever made that design choice was incredibly disconnected from their players and what "fun" is.

Blackvette94 said:
This is very great news!! Imagine this game at 1080p with 4 or more times AA!! Can't wait! Any links to this news?

Yeah, it'd actually look like a PC game, the mere thought of which sends shivers down my spine.

It's looking like Nvidia's WHQL driver has been pushed back to the first week of January, with no updates regarding any beta driver in the meantime. At least I've plenty of other games to get on with.

DSc

They're not all Rapid Response though...

I've just downloaded it. There are Hot Pursuits, Interceptors and all the other event types in there too. And though it's hard as nails to drive, the Gumbert Apollo S Interceptor is the coolest cop car EVER.

crispyben

The Antitype said:

Muhahahahahahahahaha!
I can't believe you guys didn't see the irony in this post :p Can't wait to get back home and give it a spin :D

Footos22

Love the new events,

Feels like a massive step up in difficulty though
and the Gumbert apollo intercepter is a bitch to drive especially on first rapid response where one measly bump pretty much means restart

Finally got my hands on the game. I'm updating as I post.

I'm not sure to totally get the Autolog thingy but what I know is I need some people to play/compete with !

PSN : BaronLundi

Sectus said:
Really? o.0 A bit weird they'd only be making events of the type people liked the least.

RedStep said:
Well, that's awesome to know after I purchased the $7 pack that promised "13 new race events!" or whatever.

Uhhh... regarding updates, have you considered either extending the time limits or eliminating the insane choice to penalize "wall" bumps in an arcade racer? GT5 and Forza are for staying off the wall, because I'm not driving blind against traffic through the forest in the rain. Whoever made that design choice was incredibly disconnected from their players and what "fun" is.

DSc said:
They're not all Rapid Response though...

I've just downloaded it. There are Hot Pursuits, Interceptors and all the other event types in there too. And though it's hard as nails to drive, the Gumbert Apollo S Interceptor is the coolest cop car EVER.

cantona222 said:
Thanks,
but no thanks.

I WAS KIDDING! :lol

iNvid02

just done the last racer event out of the sports pack, 30 miles of racing and it was pretty awesome.

taking a break before i move onto the cop events, and getting the rest of the trophies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Antitype, you blew it. Now no one is gonna buy it.

Anyways, I'll probably get it. I've enjoyed the game enough to warrant a DLC purchase, even though I still have a good chunk of single player content to finish. It'll be worth it for fancy new cars.

Snuggler said:
Antitype, you blew it. Now no one is gonna buy it.

Anyways, I'll probably get it. I've enjoyed the game enough to warrant a DLC purchase, even though I still have a good chunk of single player content to finish. It'll be worth it for fancy new cars.

Thankfully sales are tracking quite well so far. Otherwise, I might fear for my job. :lol

crispyben

The Antitype said:
Thankfully sales are tracking quite well so far. Otherwise, I might fear for my job. :lol
Hey, how come this costs €9.99 on PSN in France when it was announced at €6.99/$6.99/£5.49/M$560? Not buying it at that price, it's just highway robbery (pun intended). Can you confirm this isn't a pricing mistake?

EDIT: even the PS.Blog has that lower price... WTF? And it seems to be higher than announced in the UK too (£7.99).

RedStep

The Antitype said:
I WAS KIDDING! :lol

Dude, some things aren't funny! You have no idea (or maybe you do) how un-fun those events are. It's one of those things where, when you finish one, the only joy is that you never have to do it again. Sort of like Veteran mode in most CoD games, but worse.

Mileena

Banned
Any tips on time trials? I think it's the McLaren one that keeps kicking my ass. Gold isn't even somewhat approachable on it, I'm like 20 seconds off.

crispyben

corkscrewblow said:
Any tips on time trials? I think it's the McLaren one that keeps kicking my ass. Gold isn't even somewhat approachable on it, I'm like 20 seconds off.
It kicked my ass for a while too, but I finally realized I was losing much more time than I thought by drifting too wide... Of course, that makes half the turns much more dangerous :lol Also, identify which turns you can take without drifting or drifting too hard (since it drifts like a dream), and use the shortcut to your advantage.

Mrbob

I haven't bought a NFS game since the last Hot Pursuit. Since Criterion is involved I bought it and the game is fantastic. Races get your adrenaline pumping. I also bought the ipod touch app too. Not as cool as the console game but is decent in its own right.

Only thing I haven't liked is the forced Shift 2 video trailer I had to watch at the beginning. :lol

crispyben said:
Hey, how come this costs €9.99 on PSN in France when it was announced at €6.99/$6.99/£5.49/M$560? Not buying it at that price, it's just highway robbery (pun intended). Can you confirm this isn't a pricing mistake?

EDIT: even the PS.Blog has that lower price... WTF? And it seems to be higher than announced in the UK too (£7.99).

Sony and Microsoft are both cranking out so many updates this week, that their store update monkeys put in the default price (800 points, 9.99 pounds, whatever dollars on PSN US). It should have been addressed by now.

Microsoft has a system in place for refunding gamers the extra points they spent, and the gears are turning on that process.

PSN...I'm not sure.

corkscrewblow said:

Mclaren is a drifting machine when you use the hand-brake. Only drift on tight/hair-pin turns. Head into the apex, tap the e-brake button once to start the drift. You can drift through turns like that at 140mph+

iNvid02

The Antitype said:
Mclaren is a drifting machine when you use the hand-brake. Only drift on tight/hair-pin turns. Head into the apex, tap the e-brake button once to start the drift. You can drift through turns like that at 140mph+

E-brake or regular L2 brake for general cornering?

I mainly use L2. - the E-brake only when im coming in too fast

iNvidious01 said:
E-brake or regular L2 brake for general cornering?

I mainly use L2. - the E-brake only when im coming in too fast

Depends on the car. Generally speaking though, if you can get around a corner by tapping the regular break or - even better - just letting off the gas and letting your momentum carry you, then it's better to do that than e-brake drift.

Peter303

I hope the Australian price for the super sports pack is an error because $16aud for something that costs $7usd is daylight robbery, especially with the 1:1 dollar to dollar ratio.

Peter303 said:
I hope the Australian price for the super sports pack is an error because $16aud for something that costs $7usd is daylight robbery, especially with the 1:1 dollar to dollar ratio.

I'll be honest and say I have no fucking idea what the price is supposed to be in Australia, but I'll ask for you. Might not actually get an answer til tomorrow though.

iNvid02

i need halp! :lol

last trophy is beat a friends recommendation with the new veyron sport. problem is i'm faster than everyone on my list.

can someone who has some good lap times in hyper races add me as a friend so i can beat your recommendation. PSN: iNvidious01 (include neogaf somewhere or i won't know who you are)

thanks

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
when the fuck is the second PC patch coming out? Didn't they announce the second one like 3 or 4 months ago?

Agent X

RedStep said:

Are you serious? It's important in these events to demonstrate that you're a skillful driver by not brushing up against walls or roadside obstacles. Some segments on certain tracks are surely annoying, but none of them are so unfair that they cannot be mastered with some practice.

sadaiyappan

I do! I do have the Need for Speed! The game does everything that GT5 doesn't. World looks amazing, very fast feel to the racing, very arcadey feel to it. Porsche.

I'm disappointed there is no DFGT wheel support.

DuckRacer

Agent X said:
Are you serious? It's important in these events to demonstrate that you're a skillful driver by not brushing up against walls or roadside obstacles. Some segments on certain tracks are surely annoying, but none of them are so unfair that they cannot be mastered with some practice.
The slowdown you incur should be penalty enough, plus it's simply not fun to accidentally tap a wall and have a big red "collision – +2 seconds, scrub" pop up in the middle of your screen. And the time trials on the racer side don't have these (aside from the occasional preview event), so why should the police time trials have them?

DuckRacer said:
The slowdown you incur should be penalty enough, plus it's simply not fun to accidentally tap a wall and have a big red "collision – +2 seconds, scrub" pop up in the middle of your screen. And the time trials on the racer side don't have these (aside from the occasional preview event), so why should the police time trials have them?

The unpopularity of these events have been noted by marketing and Criterion alike. We're listening. :D

crispyben

The Antitype said:
Sony and Microsoft are both cranking out so many updates this week, that their store update monkeys put in the default price (800 points, 9.99 pounds, whatever dollars on PSN US). It should have been addressed by now.
It still hasn't been fixed on the French PSN, just so you know... No way I'm buying this DLC for now :( Shame, as I have the day off!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The Antitype said:
The unpopularity of these events have been noted by marketing and Criterion alike. We're listening. :D

I don't even dislike the idea of them, they encourage you to get better by driving smart and not smashing shit, but it's just the medal requirements that get me. Sometimes I'll make it through the whole event without hitting anything, and I'll drive decent still but I'll barely scrap by with a silver or most likely hit a bronze.

I appreciate the challenge that the game offers, but it's just discouraging when I feel like I'm nailing it but I end up with a turdy bronze trophy in the end. I need some positive reinforcement over here. Knowing that I can spend 5-6 minutes on one RR event, driving my heart out, only to get a shit medal makes me not want to do them at all.

sadaiyappan

DasRaven said:
There is since the first patch/update. It's somewhat sloppy feeling though.

It doesn't work right for me. I got my copy from Amazon download. The game detects my wheel but when I try to map the buttons it won't let me.

japtor

DuckRacer said:
The taxpayers of Seacrest County ain't funding no million dollar cars if the officers keep wrecking them or crashing into civilians.

On the other hand they don't seem to have a problem with vehicular brutality when it comes to laying down the law.

there's an optional patch for this game that's segmenting the online lobbies. People with the new DLC have the patch, but people without it have to manually download it. Of course, nobody knows that it exists, so the pre 1.1 lobbies are plentifully populated while the 1.1 lobbies are sparse and it's tough to find a full room. Discovered this last night trying to join with a group where some had the DLC and some didn't.

crispyben

MrCompletely said:
there's an optional patch for this game that's segmenting the online lobbies. People with the new DLC have the patch, but people without it have to manually download it. Of course, nobody knows that it exists, so the pre 1.1 lobbies are plentifully populated while the 1.1 lobbies are sparse and it's tough to find a full room. Discovered this last night trying to join with a group where some had the DLC and some didn't.
The new DLC was in the mandatory 1.1 update last week, you just need to buy the key to use it... You have to DL it to play online I believe, so that'd be rather strange. And man, fuck thay "Duty Calls" Rapid Response, it took me the best part of two hours to nail!

Top Bottom