• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

HoTHiTTeR

Damn, I almost wish I hadn't gotten Horizon. I barely have time for one game, let alone two amazing ones. Anyone played both yet? Is NFS:MW compatible w/ the speed wheel?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reading the Egde review its says that they were stripped out in order to make the gameplay feel more seamless.

Which is lovely, but I'd like to see some. Perhaps they could patch it back in?

5 hours doesn't sound much for 50% but half the fun of burnout was wandering around finding all the billboards and gates.

OmegaZero

Remember the "photo"-""""""""""""""""""""""""""feature"""""""""""""""""""""""""" in NFS:HP?

Did you see what the game did to the screenshots? I've seen some terrible things in my life... mexican cartel chainsaw beheadings for example but the absolute destruction of the picture that you took using the photo-mode in NFS:HP was something of pure terror.

Off topic, but any links to some examples?
I want to see this.

Damn, I almost wish I hadn't gotten Horizon. I barely have time for one game, let alone two amazing ones. Anyone played both yet? Is NFS:MW compatible w/ the speed wheel?

On that note....does the speed wheel work with a PC? (Assuming you already have a wireless MS receiver...)

legbone

so, are the preorder bonuses pretty much multiplayer only? early access, etc. there are no exclusive cars or anything are there?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any extended gameplay of this? I've already seen the E3 and Gamescom ones. I want to see something longer than 10 minutes. Like a Gamespot Now Playing or something.

edit: I should read this thread more.

JJD

Any extended gameplay of this? I've already seen the E3 and Gamescom ones. I want to see something longer than 10 minutes. Like a Gamespot Now Playing or something.

edit: I should read this thread more.

PS3 gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgcNn2UrQuQ&feature=g-user-u -> Story event, some people might want to skip this one!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2oCcM_zSuk&feature=g-user-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajo4f3cvhcU&feature=g-user-u

The guy is a horrible player, but the game looks as good as NFS HP.

I can't wait! HP was my favorite racer in like 10 years!

TJP

The more I watch these videos, the more I'm liking Most Wanted. Thanks for posting links to these videos!

Sorry man, should I edit that one out?

I think it's fine to leave it there as some aren't bothered by it. I was just posting that as a warning to those that are don't want to see those races. But you may want to also put a warning in your post about it also.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really want to get this, and it looks so awesome, but it feels like I'm missing half the game without people who are also playing. It wouldn't be so bad if it had a Car Club style system that i could use to play with people on here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I really want to get this, and it looks so awesome, but it feels like I'm missing half the game without people who are also playing. It wouldn't be so bad if it had a Car Club style system that i could use to play with people on here.

It has online though right? Or are you referring to something like what Forza Horizon has?

LiquidMetal14

Of course. That would be nice. If this is as fun as Burnout Paradise but with cops then I will be very happy.

I've watched several videos tonight, including some of the new ones on this page, and I've noticed occasionally the game straight up hangs for a second. Kinda sucks. I've seen it on 360 and PS3 videos now. Hopefully Criterion can address that in future patches.

Then again, I remember Hot Pursuit having that on rare occasions, but they were faster and harder to notice.

If you add people to your friends list you've accomplished the same thing. It's not that difficult.

bs000

I'm actually glad to hear single player isn't too long. What's there looks great, so it's better if there's no padding. The single player in alot of racing games quickly turns into alot of grinding and tedium. Mostly, I'm not not a fan of CPU races and rubber banding. The sooner I've won all the cars & upgrades, the sooner I can get into multiplayer. I put in probably over 1000 hours into Paradise multiplayer with a bunch of friends. I'm excited to get back together for Most Wanted.

LiquidMetal14

Some forget that the BP campaign could be beat in about the same time but had much more value and content outside of the campaign. This isn't even referring to the MP which was a huge timesink in BP.

Jas

OK seen enough now, just bought it on the Playstation Store before I lose power :) That took me over $100 for the month so it works out well.

Loved Burnout Paradise so can't wait to play this.

bs000

Are the cars in the same jack spots for everyone or is it random? I'd like to be able to go straight to the cars I want from the beginning of the game.

Synless

Of course. That would be nice. If this is as fun as Burnout Paradise but with cops then I will be very happy.
We had some good times in BP, I hope this turns out as good as I think it will be. Let me know what version you decide to get, I'm personally leaning towards the Vita version if it is a good port.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So conflicted on getting this on PS3 via PSN or Vita or just not getting anything at all for now.

I'm picking up forza this week which makes me think that I can hold off on MW at least until there are enough impressions of ps3/vita/PC to make an informed decision. But autolog makes me lean towards console as my origin is bare (but 1080p goodness is tempting)

PSN preorder gives you all the bonuses right, so that's pretty good. But I need to check prices in the UK. £38 average for online retail, PSN can be a crap shoot on pricing

crispyben

Are the cars in the same jack spots for everyone or is it random? I'd like to be able to go straight to the cars I want from the beginning of the game.
I think they're the same for everyone, as they're also meant to encourage discovery.

Well maybe I can find some Gaf'ers who are awake when I am so I can get more into multiplayer.
Add yourself!

I'm actually glad to hear single player isn't too long. What's there looks great, so it's better if there's no padding. The single player in alot of racing games quickly turns into alot of grinding and tedium. Mostly, I'm not not a fan of CPU races and rubber banding. The sooner I've won all the cars & upgrades, the sooner I can get into multiplayer. I put in probably over 1000 hours into Paradise multiplayer with a bunch of friends. I'm excited to get back together for Most Wanted.
Hear hear!

No cops in MP, though.

so, are the preorder bonuses pretty much multiplayer only? early access, etc. there are no exclusive cars or anything are there?
Yes. The Limited Edition bonuses are more interesting actually.

when will gamersyde make gameplay vids? I haven't seen a youtube vid without horrible compression yet. I want to see how the game REALLY looks.

And why the hell is the digital download version of the game 70 EURO!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

glaurung

when will gamersyde make gameplay vids? I haven't seen a youtube vid without horrible compression yet. I want to see how the game REALLY looks.

And why the hell is the digital download version of the game 70 EURO!!?!?!?!?!?!?!
DD prices are stupid right now.

Hopefully one day we will see them being identical to retail purchase prices.

Oersted

I feel robbed

- Fairhaven: nice attention to graphical details, even to the stupid ones like the sun after tunnel. The attention should have been shared for track design. Often enough you don´t know which way to go, which leads into the constant experience with the rubberbanding and the not so good damage model. Also: fairhaven is pretty small.

The races: Well, the problems are already foreshadowed but they go even further. The police chases are a pain in the ass. You dont feel any adrenaline rush, they´re just stressing your nerves. First time ever in a criterion game races feeling like a lackluster. Even though the handling is still pretty good.

Solo-campaign: Lackluster. No tuning. No story. Only racing for records. Pretty small overall.

Technic: Bye bye 60fps. And even the low framerate has constant hickups.

Weird gameplay-choice: If you already got a favourite car you don´t get any addionational races. Where is my promised freedom, GI?

Better get Forza Horizon or Burnout Paradise. NfS: MW is a unfinished game and it lets you feel it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Technic: Bye bye 60fps. And even the low framerate has constant hickups.
Better get Forza Horizon.

Horizon and the last like 5 Need for Speeds have been 30fps.
Why is it bye bye 60fps if we havent had a 60fps NFS game in years....in fact i cant even remember the last console 60fps NFS....was it Most Wanted 360?

Solo-campaign: Lackluster. No tuning. No story. Only racing for records. Pretty small overall.

No, please no.....is the Solo Campaign really that bad?
Looks like its MP for me then.

.nimrod

i'd say they should be LESS than retail prices.

You can just buy it on Amazon.com for $50 (~38 euros), you'll get a code that you can redeem on your european origin account just fine.
All you have to do is to use a US address, preferably one where DD tax doesn't apply (i use some hotel in alaska).
You also get $5 off your next game purchase on Amazon if you preorder.

I love buying DD games on Amazon, you get an instant 20% off just due to currency conversion ;)

leng jai

Why is it bye bye 60fps if we havent had a 60fps NFS game in years....in fact i cant even remember the last console 60fps NFS....was it Most Wanted 360?

lol. That was more like 15fps.

Oersted

Forza Horizon is overall the better game because it delivers way more content, SP and MP. They share the "never reach 60 fps" issue. The bye bye is based on Burnout Paradise.

The solo campaign... it is small and when already got a favourite car it gets even smaller.

At the MP: you should like being a jerk. You have to drive to the starting points and those are getting advantage who attack the opponent´s cars in the beginning. At that point it is Burnout Paradise all over again.

waypoetic

Banned
At the MP: you should like being a jerk. You have to drive to the starting points and those are getting advantage who attack the opponent´s cars in the beginning. At that point it is Burnout Paradise all over again.

Great, asshole city! I'm skipping this. Thanks

Tankshell

Out tomorrow in the US, I presume the review embargo is up today? Can't find any reviews online yet other than Edge and Game Informer.

Ledsen

Is it still as much fun to explore as in Burnout Paradise, finding fences, signs and garages? That's all I did in Paradise, and when I had found all the stuff I quit playing. Did almost none of the actual events or play any MP at all and still got 15 hours out of it, so I'd like to know if this will cater to my tastes.

Oersted

Is it still as much fun to explore as in Burnout Paradise, finding fences, signs and garages? That's all I did in Paradise, and when I had found all the stuff I quit playing. Did almost none of the actual events or play any MP at all and still got 15 hours out of it, so I'd like to know if this will cater to my tastes.

One of the strengths, even when they are suffering from the small world and bad track design.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One of the strengths, even when they are suffering from the small world and bad track design.

Bad track design was in BP IMO, and with the changes to the checkpoints and GPS it at least sounds better than that.

I'm not really a big fan of open world racing - too many sweepy curves and tracks that feel too random. I'd rather have a more carefully crafted course with corners you need to memorise.

Having said that though, in a burnout game thats not something I worry about too much.

Top Bottom