• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Peterthumpa

Wait, what? With a 680 SLI without AA enabled you're getting FPS drops?
This can't be the same engine as 2010's HP. Which resolution are you using?

EDIT: and let me guess, there's really no photo mode?
WTF is wrong with Criterion?

Well damn. I guess I wont even ask about multiple monitor support for PC. Would be nice though considering burnout paradise multi-monitor doesnt work on windows 7 so I cant even go back.

Sethos

Banned
I'm at a rock solid 60FPS on 680 SLI.

Some screenshots, downsampled with originals below.

ib0NrJQO15c9eC.png

http://i.minus.com/ibbaO4z0fNkSQ9.png

i7k59tKfG2Gy2.png

http://i.minus.com/i50am76iYz48.png

jayb

There aren't barrel rolls in this game, are there? the game informer review is confusing, but I assume it's just a bad choice of words?

Sometimes while playing Most Wanted I was confused what to do next due to the sheer volume of opportunities. I was even frustrated at times when seemingly out of nowhere, a civilian car clogged up the last turn of a particularly high-tension race, causing me to eat metal instead of grabbing victory. But part of the beauty of this game is that there is no such thing as an unfair ending. Whether you're dominating your opponents or barrel rolling your way through a race, you're getting what you wanted – a game, that win or lose, goes all out getting there.

ToD_

I'm at a rock solid 60FPS on 680 SLI.

Some screenshots, downsampled with originals below.

What resolution are you running at? Your images are blocked at work for me.
I was somewhat hoping I could get a nice framerate with a 580 @2560x1440, but comments seem to indicate the game requires quite a powerful pc.

Sethos

Banned
What resolution are you running at? Your images are blocked at work for me.
I was somewhat hoping I could get a nice framerate with a 580 @2560x1440, but comments seem to indicate the game requires quite a powerful pc.

Running 2560x1600

lol. That was more like 15fps.

The framerate of Most Wanted (Black Box 360 version) may be poor but i had the most fun with it of any racing game this generation...
And i really liked the way the story was told in that game.

Criterion's Most Wanted is unfortunately heavily focused on the multiplayer.
A good singleplayer is still the most important thing for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fuck, scratch that, hit 35 fps now!

Stopped to take this shot and the FPS went up a bit, but still, very disappointing considering the quality of Burnout Paradise PC.

nfs132012-10-2916-55-vlod7.png

God that Porsche is beautiful. Environment doesn't look that great though

If any self styled "pixel counters" amongst us would like to take a poke at it, here is the closest thing we have to comparable footage between the two console versions right now.

A a high def youtube video of the opening for each console. Of course there could be clear differences between the setup of the capture equipment used, settings, etc, but at least comparing these two videos, the 360 version certainly looks more colorful, for what's it's worth. If I had to bet though, I'd bet the capture equipment are the reason for this discrepancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlN...tailpage&list=FL_X0yr9rcCFDK54tP2dSSvg#t=206s

PS3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...FL_X0yr9rcCFDK54tP2dSSvg&v=doHXcq6CQHE#t=213s
Unfortunately "high res" says nothing about compression. Fuck it doesn't look good in these vids. Maybe my screen is toooo high res or something..

Wy are there only two reviews?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is Frostbite.

Criterion have jumped the shark. The beginning of the end.
And? Even if it IS Frostbite (which I thought had some connection to Hot Pursuit as well) it should still run smoothly. NFS The Run ran on Frostbite 2 and managed to run flawlessly (once they patched out the 30 fps limit). I realize this is an urban environment but it shouldn't be a huge issue for developers like Criterion.

Definitely a little concerned.

I suppose the question is; what kind of AA are you using? If it's dropping with SGSSAA I could understand it. If it's just dropping with something like FXAA, though, then we have an issue.

Jubbly

So I found this tunnel with pretty bad FPS:

nfs132012-10-2917-06-d0jpa.png

Was determined to see what fixed the framerate... Tried turning off AO (no change), hi-res textures (no change), etc

In the end I got to this:

nfs132012-10-2917-10-z4jbk.png

To achieve 60 fps in that spot I turned down Reflection Detail to Medium, and Geometry Detail to Medium also.

Also, to the people who keep saying it's Frostbite, there was no Frostbite splash as in BF3, MOHW and other Frostbite games, and the file structure, file types, and what have you are completely different:

nfsfnosl.png

mohw8eotd.png

sarcoa

There aren't barrel rolls in this game, are there? the game informer review is confusing, but I assume it's just a bad choice of words?
No. Cars can't roll 360 degrees, and I asked a member of Criterion that question personally ( paraphrasing, but he said it didn't fit the style I the game).

Now one or two times I wrecked into traffic or something and finished the race in a flippIng crash, but that was essentially an uncontrollable scene.

Eideka

Banned
How about a NFS MW performance thread ?

This aside, the PC version looks really incredible. I don't mind FXAA at all and the DX11 enhancements are certainly welcomed.

Quentyn

Nope, and there's no VSync option, so I'm locked to 60 FPS. On my 680 SLI system I'm getting a few drops when going down long view distance streets, with the lowest FPS being 45 so far.

They made such a big deal of the many options of the PC version. Strange, that they would include all that but not a option for vsync or AA.

games.on.net: How deep are the graphics configuration options on PC – are we talking a short list of three or four options, or a deeper screen with over a dozen? Can you tell us what options PC users will be able to tweak?

Leanne Loombe: Options are available to enable High Resolution textures, motion blur quality, shadow quality, SSAO level, reflection detail, visual effects quality, geometry detail levels, and light scattering.

Can you do screenshot of the video options screen?

Sethos

Banned
OK, why exactly? I see all this FXAA hate going around but I've found it to be a miracle solution. Only SGSSAA or SSAA look better in my eyes but those simply aren't possible with all games.

Because it's horrible, it smudges up the images and destroys overall IQ. We've had plenty of topics on this matter or at least, discussions.

jayb

No. Cars can't roll 360 degrees, and I asked a member of Criterion that question personally ( paraphrasing, but he said it didn't fit the style I the game).

Now one or two times I wrecked into traffic or something and finished the race in a flippIng crash, but that was essentially an uncontrollable scene.

I figured it had something to do with crashing, rather than true BP-style barrel roles. thanks.

Jubbly

Which drivers are you using Jubbly and have you tried without SLI?

Latest betas, and there's no SLI profile so the other card is basically inactive. I could try forcibly disabling it, or disabling SLI altogether, but I doubt it'll make any difference.

They made such a big deal of the many options of the PC version. Strange, that they would include all that but not a option for vsync or AA.

Can you do screenshot of the video options screen?

Sure, give me a min, but what they mentioned there is pretty much it in the game.

Some big Criterion love right here. I decided to pop in Hot Pursuit last night since I haven’t played it in quite some time and am now VERY excited for this release tomorrow. I almost forgot how consistently excellent their games are. From the early Burnout games with Acclaim, through Paradise they’ve always been consistent in quality . Even the underappreciated BLACK is worth mentioning and one could argue it had a profound “influence”on the developers of certain colossal FPS franchise developers *cough*Infinity Ward*cough*. Seriously, how Criterion has remained so consistent in an industry where development houses come and go is pretty amazing. Hats off!

[edit - just noticed people knocking them in this thread over jaggies - LOL - gaf never ceases to amaze me!]

Quentyn

Latest betas, and there's no SLI profile so the other card is basically inactive. I could try forcibly disabling it, or disabling SLI altogether, but I doubt it'll make any difference.

Sure, give me a min, but what they mentioned there is pretty much it in the game.

Thanks! Better post it in the performance thread. I see someone made one just now.

dark10x

Because it's horrible, it smudges up the images and destroys overall IQ. We've had plenty of topics on this matter or at least, discussions.
I disagree 100%. What can I say. :\

What you consider "smudges" are actually improvements to me.

What else do you use then? Like I said, I prefer SSAA and SGSSAA but they just aren't usable for a lot of games due to huge performance cost.

Sethos

Banned
Sethos, can you try using the HP2010 SGSSAA bits and see if they work?

I'll give it a shot.

I disagree 100%. What can I say. :\

What you consider "smudges" are actually improvements to me.

What else do you use then? Like I said, I prefer SSAA and SGSSAA but they just aren't usable for a lot of games due to huge performance cost.

I'd take regular MSAA or even no AA before I'd ever touch FXAA.

dark10x

I'd take regular MSAA or even no AA before I'd ever touch FXAA.
Those both produce much jaggier images.

Regular MSAA can't even handle transparencies.

Hell, I often enjoy stacking FXAA on stop of SGSSAA just to eliminate every last pixelated edge. What you perceive as "blur" I perceive as edging slightly closer to matching a pre-rendered CG image. Elimination of all jaggies is a must.

Sethos

Banned
Those both produce much jaggier images.

Regular MSAA can't even handle transparencies.

Hell, I often enjoy stacking FXAA on stop of SGSSAA just to eliminate every last pixelated edge. What you perceive as "blur" I perceive as edging slightly closer to matching a pre-rendered CG image. Elimination of all jaggies is a must.

And the trade-off with FXAA is fucking smudge everywhere. Horrible AA that needs to go away.

Sethos, can you try using the HP2010 SGSSAA bits and see if they work?

Okay. here's a direct grab with the HP2010 settings;

http://i.minus.com/iblwpd0IZWdza.png

Doesn't appear to be working.

I can also confirm performance is in the toilet. No SLI support and my one card's fan is going apeshit at 45FPS in-game.

Wanny

I'm pretty sure that thise Postprocessing dust filter can be turned off in POSTFX.BNDL but how to tweak?

edit: ok switching thread

Top Bottom