• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
lol. That was more like 15fps.

haha, i never played Most Wanted 360, id assume it was 60fps being a last gen port.
Haha i guess im glad i missed it then.
So what was the last 60fps NFS, has there even been one?

Forza Horizon is overall the better game because it delivers way more content, SP and MP. They share the "never reach 60 fps" issue. The bye bye is based on Burnout Paradise.
The solo campaign... it is small and when already got a favourite car it gets even smaller.
At the MP: you should like being a jerk. You have to drive to the starting points and those are getting advantage who attack the opponent´s cars in the beginning. At that point it is Burnout Paradise all over again.

Granted im def saving for Forza Horizon and the season pass, but i assumed Need for Speed Most Wanted atleast had fun multiplayer.
Man i was really hoping id get another Arcade racer for PC.
I was so desperate I only now just jumped on Blur.....I need some arcade racing goodness.

Well money saved.

Oersted

So the world is much smaller than in Paradise?

It is a long time ago I played BP, so much don´t nail me on this, but it feels smaller.

Bad track design was in BP IMO, and with the changes to the checkpoints and GPS it at least sounds better than that.

I'm not really a big fan of open world racing - too many sweepy curves and tracks that feel too random. I'd rather have a more carefully crafted course with corners you need to memorise.

Having said that though, in a burnout game thats not something I worry about too much.

On the paper- yes. In the reality- not so much. You keep looking at the left corner, trying to figure out where to go. But the navi will lead you into the oncoming traffic no matter what. And here comes the crucial point. In previous Burnout entries you felt a sudden adrenalin rush, that crash boom bang sensation, that feeling which Criterion pretty much nailed in Burnout. Not this time. Not in Need for Speed Most Wanted. To be honest, this game is boring.

Everytime EA doesn´t want to share infos with you, you can be sure it is one hell of awesome game.

Yeah, EA were so afraid of what the press thought they sent all of them early copies and let them post videos about it. All impressions so far have been very positive, and the two reviews we do have so far are 9's.

So thanks for your opinion, but you can be certain it will not be an opinion shared by the vast majority of people who play this.

Just saw a commercial for this on tv (in Australia) and under the games title it said pretty prominently "from Criterion".

Just seemed strange to me. I know that in communities like GAF we are generally quite well knowledged on developers and such but I was quite shocked to see something like this on mainstream tv.

I wouldn't imagine that the average video game consumer would know or care who Criterion is.

Like a Mario commercial saying "from EAD".

Just seemed odd is all.

Oersted

Yeah, EA were so afraid of what the press thought they sent all of them early copies and let them post videos about it. All impressions so far have been very positive, and the two reviews we do have so far are 9's.

So thanks for your opinion, but you can be certain it will not be an opinion shared by the vast majority of people who play this.

As much as I would love to agree with you- it would end up being a blatant lie. First of all: previews are not the same experience as finished games. In previews you are fine with ai issues, missing content, popups, framerate slowdowns and so on. You expect the finished game to be polished and fixed. That brings us to the second part, the reviews.

Several big gaming papers in europe got NfS Most Wanted already covered, most of them in the 7´s region. Not a single one close 9.

I feel robbed

-

Solo-campaign: Lackluster. No tuning. No story. Only racing for records. Pretty small overall.

Tuning? I really don't care about tuning in an arcade racer that is essentially Burnout.

Story? When was the last time there was actually a good story in a racing game?

If it's just racing, that's what I want in an arcade racer.

The amount of content is the only thing that's concerning me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
haha, i never played Most Wanted 360, id assume it was 60fps being a last gen port.
Haha i guess im glad i missed it then.
So what was the last 60fps NFS, has there even been one?
There has never been a locked 60 fps NFS on a console.

NFS3 - Hot Pursuit on PSX actually came close with lots of 60 fps sections, but it was pretty jittery and didn't feel great. Should have been limited to 30.

The NFS games this gen were all wildly unstable up until Hot Pursuit 2010. Most Wanted 360 was different from the previous generation games and ran very poorly as did Carbon and Undercover. Pro Street ran well enough but was rather different. The Run was also a mess on consoles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It is a long time ago I played BP, so much don´t nail me on this, but it feels smaller.

On the paper- yes. In the reality- not so much. You keep looking at the left corner, trying to figure out where to go. But the navi will lead you into the oncoming traffic no matter what. And here comes the crucial point. In previous Burnout entries you felt a sudden adrenalin rush, that crash boom bang sensation, that feeling which Criterion pretty much nailed in Burnout. Not this time. Not in Need for Speed Most Wanted. To be honest, this game is boring.

This is where being in Europe has its advantages. We get a few crucial days of hearing a larger sample of people comment on the game, so we can see if you are an outlying comment or it does have issues.

Reviews suggest its a good game, but your comments are worrying, and you provide good context for them.

Peterthumpa

So, is this unlocking today midnight on Origin? Or is it different than Steam, meaning that it launches on 30rd but without a specific time schedule?

As much as I would love to agree with you- it would end up being a blatant lie. First of all: previews are not the same experience as finished games. In previews you are fine with ai issues, missing content, popups, framerate slowdowns and so on. You expect the finished game to be polished and fixed. That brings us to the second part, the reviews.

Several big gaming papers in europe got NfS Most Wanted already covered, most of them in the 7´s region. Not a single one close 9.

Could you point us in the direction of these 7's you mentioned there? I haven't seen these reviews anywhere.

If any self styled "pixel counters" amongst us would like to take a poke at it, here is the closest thing we have to comparable footage between the two console versions right now.

A a high def youtube video of the opening for each console. Of course there could be clear differences between the setup of the capture equipment used, settings, etc, but at least comparing these two videos, the 360 version certainly looks more colorful, for what's it's worth. If I had to bet though, I'd bet the capture equipment are the reason for this discrepancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlN...tailpage&list=FL_X0yr9rcCFDK54tP2dSSvg#t=206s

PS3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...FL_X0yr9rcCFDK54tP2dSSvg&v=doHXcq6CQHE#t=213s

Wanny

Gorgeous PC version shall be mine soon.

200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There has never been a locked 60 fps NFS on a console.

NFS3 - Hot Pursuit on PSX actually came close with lots of 60 fps sections, but it was pretty jittery and didn't feel great. Should have been limited to 30.

The NFS games this gen were all wildly unstable up until Hot Pursuit 2010. Most Wanted 360 was different from the previous generation games and ran very poorly as did Carbon and Undercover. Pro Street ran well enough but was rather different. The Run was also a mess on consoles.

I remember HP on PS1 and it was incredibly fun for it's time but the performance was jarring. I didn't even care about performance at the time as the PS1 was one of the first mainstream consoles to use polygons. Thus began our battles with the dreaded fps.

Well the run was on the completely different engine while Most wanted uses a modified engine of Hot pursuit and you can tell from all the videos.

That doesn't mean that isn't the resolution. I think Jelly is right. I too have noticed it in every direct feed video I've seen, on both consoles.

Kingpen

How are the cop chases in this? Are they at least as fun or better then they were in Hot Pursuit 2010? Please provide some details on fun factor, rate of occurance and how long they typically last.

Can you still get the slow mo stylelized takedown crashes from previous Burnout games (and Hot Pursuit 2010)?

If the answers are positive on these, then I'll get it, otherwise I'm afraid there won't be enough content for me.

My favorite arcade racer of all time is Midnight Club LA (with Hot Pursuit close behind it) , so I'm hoping this is much better then that. I did not really care for Burnout Paradise for some reason.

saladine1

OK, I'm going to say this again, driving through a tunnel in practically any car in the game, produces the most insane, eargasmic, most brutal sound effects i've ever heard in a racing game!

Criterion, I don't know how you did it, but you are fucking geniuses!

Wanny

OK, I'm going to say this again, driving through a tunnel in practically any car in the game, produces the most insane, eargasmic, most brutal sound effects i've ever heard in a racing game!

Criterion, I don't know how you did it, but you are fucking geniuses!

Oh boy my pants won't look good with my dedicated soundcard and 5.1 setup.

Jubbly

Just unlocked the PC version via FlyVPN's Korean IP:

nfs132012-10-2916-38-1se1h.png

Looks pretty nice, but it needs a serious dose of AA, so hoping someone finds working bits in NVIDIA Inspector.

Ok I haven't played of this kind in a long while but loved Paradise City. Is this NFS basically a return to the open world style of that game?

sarcoa

damn i was hoping for today :(
As far as I know the last rounds of multiplayer sessions are this afternoon, and you definitely don't want reviews from outlets if they haven't dropped significant time into that facet of the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope, and there's no VSync option, so I'm locked to 60 FPS. On my 680 SLI system I'm getting a few drops when going down long view distance streets, with the lowest FPS being 45 so far.

Ouch. My 660m probably won't cope well. Might go for Ps3 now..

Jubbly

Fuck, scratch that, hit 35 fps now!

Stopped to take this shot and the FPS went up a bit, but still, very disappointing considering the quality of Burnout Paradise PC.

nfs132012-10-2916-55-vlod7.png

Wanny

Good and bad news for PC version. It looks OK but it suffers a lot from consolitist. Lots of lacking graphic options... Wish I could turn down that ugly dust filter and obvious FXAA.

Top Bottom