• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Please tell me there is an option to disable the rear touch panel from controlling the music. :(

I couldn't find one. It's super annoying - I can't comfortably hold my Vita without touching the rear panel, and kept changing songs. Hopefully they'll fix it in a patch.

Xater

I am very wary of this game because of SP content. Hot Pursuit was pretty lackluster in that department it to me it looks like they trying to compensate it with the social features. I remeber spending lots of time in Burnout Paradise SP AND MP.

Oersted

How are the cop chases in this? Are they at least as fun or better then they were in Hot Pursuit 2010? Please provide some details on fun factor, rate of occurance and how long they typically last.

Can you still get the slow mo stylelized takedown crashes from previous Burnout games (and Hot Pursuit 2010)?

If the answers are positive on these, then I'll get it, otherwise I'm afraid there won't be enough content for me.

My favorite arcade racer of all time is Midnight Club LA (with Hot Pursuit close behind it) , so I'm hoping this is much better then that. I did not really care for Burnout Paradise for some reason.

Compared to Hot Pursuit 2010? Good question, don´t know cause I skipped that. But they are not fun. They feel pointless. They are, I don´t know how to put it better, tame.

You don´t see what happens to those you crashed. Did I already mention the bad damage model?

I am very wary of this game because of SP content. Hot Pursuit was pretty lackluster in that department it to me it looks like they trying to compensate it with the social features. I remeber spending lots of time in Burnout Paradise SP AND MP.

Yeah zactly. I STILL haven't gotten the final license in BP lofl

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
And the trade-off with FXAA is fucking smudge everywhere. Horrible AA that needs to go away.
Smudge? I see what you're talking about but it looks like it cleans up otherwise noisy areas.

Compared to Hot Pursuit 2010? Good question, don´t know cause I skipped that. But they are not fun. They feel pointless. They are, I don´t know how to put it better, tame.

You don´t see what happens to those you crashed. Did I already mention the bad damage model?

A lot of your complaints could easily be leveled against Hot Pursuit, which many people here love. As an example, the single player in that game was also driven by Autolog. They hoped people would see their friends ahead of them and would repeatedly go back to that event to beat those times. And I think that worked out pretty well. I tried to beat times whenever I saw someone ahead of me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

But, the Vita's small screen will lead to more head-on collisions than you might like. It can be really hard to see what's coming up - the horizon just looks like a blur of pixels and blue headlights, shortly before you slam into a tree or a lorry.

no gates and no dirt.

doesn't sound fantastic. No gates to smash through would be a real downer, was one of the most enjoyable parts of BP

Mikeside

A lot of your complaints could easily be leveled against Hot Pursuit, which many people here love. As an example, the single player in that game was also driven by Autolog. They hoped people would see their friends ahead of them and would repeatedly go back to that event to beat those times. And I think that worked out pretty well. I tried to beat times whenever I saw someone ahead of me.

I was talking to Adam from AwesomeGames about the pros and cons of Autolog at Eurogamer Expo.

On the plus side, it's a great way to do exactly what you say - it puts you in direct competition with your friends, helps compel you to beat their times and top those leaderboards.

The issue comes when, like me, you don't have any or many friends on Origin, Xbox or PS3 with the game - your Autolog is a barren wasteland and you get tired of the game.

All they need to do is add some kind of group functionality - then you could join a group for California, Scotland, NeoGAF, IGN, South East England, BBC.co.uk, Mumsnet, whatever - just some way of pushing you into the community aspects of the game, if they're going to aim it that way.

Bog

Junior Ace
With the PSN Day 1 Downloads, do you have to be online to play it? Wondering because we have 2 PS3s in the same room. It'd be neat to not have to worry about which one is logged in with my main account since we're always doing different things.

I was talking to Adam from AwesomeGames about the pros and cons of Autolog at Eurogamer Expo.

On the plus side, it's a great way to do exactly what you say - it puts you in direct competition with your friends, helps compel you to beat their times and top those leaderboards.

The issue comes when, like me, you don't have any or many friends on Origin, Xbox or PS3 with the game - your Autolog is a barren wasteland and you get tired of the game.

All they need to do is add some kind of group functionality - then you could join a group for California, Scotland, NeoGAF, IGN, South East England, BBC.co.uk, Mumsnet, whatever - just some way of pushing you into the community aspects of the game, if they're going to aim it that way.

This. No one I know plays racing games. Joining a group would be a great way to take advantage of a feature like Autolog.

You guys crack me up, it's a beautiful looking game and people still complain.

For the last time it's NOT running on frostbite!
Right from the horses mouth!

https://mobile.twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/210984390866644992
In general yes. But maybe some people are easily distracted by things like framerate and jaggies.
My personal hate goes to jaggies. Can't stand them. They ( and the shimmering lines they cause) catch my eye all the time. But they'll probably be dead and gone next gen,.... I hope.

The dolphin thread proves how destructive they are. Graphics really come to life without them.

Yeah, that would definitely be a huge problem. Same thing if you just aren't a fan of time trials in racing games (that's basically what Autolog is). You've got to like the idea of shaving off a few seconds from your time to really get the most out of that system. If you don't then you're probably going to hate the single player mode in their games. So, I do agree that they need to let people join groups so that they'll instantly have a lot of people to compete with. That should be something that they patch into MW or at the very least something that they plan on doing for their next game.

Mikeside

This. No one I know plays racing games. Joining a group would be a great way to take advantage of a feature like Autolog.

And I think there are a LOT of people like us who would appreciate a feature like this. I'm not sure where to send this suggestion to, though. Anyone got advice on that?

Yeah, that would definitely be a huge problem. Same thing if you just aren't a fan of time trials in racing games (that's basically what Autolog is). You've got to like the idea of shaving off a few seconds from your time to really get the most out of that system. If you don't then you're probably going to hate the single player mode in their games. So, I do agree that they need to let people join groups so that they'll instantly have a lot of people to compete with. That should be something that they patch into MW or at the very least something that they plan on doing for their next game.

I never used to give a monkeys about time trials or shaving time off until I played Motorstorm RC, actually. Having loads of GAF friends on my PSN friends list meant there was always somebody within my grasp on most events & it made the game a lot more enjoyable and long-lasting for me.

I never used to give a monkeys about time trials or shaving time off until I played Motorstorm RC, actually. Having loads of GAF friends on my PSN friends list meant there was always somebody within my grasp on most events & it made the game a lot more enjoyable and long-lasting for me.

Yeah, it's strangely addicting. And it seems like MW will be the most addicting since it tracks so many different stats. From how fast you go through a speed camera to the distance that you jump through a billboard. There's going to be a lot of replay value for those that enjoy beating times/scores.

There is a con to Autolog?

Just because you don't utilize something to it's full potential does not give it a negative value.

Why would not utilizing Autolog make someone hate the single player mode in Criterion games? Did they remove something in order to implement Autolog that other racing games have?

Foshy

Vita shots!

IQ isn't perfect (think Uncharted), but you get used to that and otherwise, wow.
1kawc.png

1kawl.png

OneLetter

Just a few more hours...

Can't wait for this game to be released. If anyone is looking for more Origin friends, add me. "OneLetter", since I'll be playing the moment it unlocks at 9PM PT tonight.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just a few more hours...

Can't wait for this game to be released. If anyone is looking for more Origin friends, add me. "OneLetter", since I'll be playing the moment it unlocks at 9PM PT tonight.

I was wondering where you'd vanished to. Origin, huh?

saladine1

In the original MW, getting busted by cops meant a lot more than it does in this game. It seems nothing happens if you do get caught unlike the original.

The races are pretty hectic though. All kinds of shit going on. Some races take a while to finish as well which means you don't want to fuck it up towards the end..

I hate the fucking crashing while in cruise mode. I mean, I just want to drive around without the "crash sequence" triggering every time I hit a NPC. It sort of kills the flow.

The handling is easier to live with while in bumper cam but damn is it low to the ground. It's really hard to judge cars and objects around you.

The effects such as backfire, scrape sparks, crashing, exhaust smoke etc..are nicely done.

I really like the world in this game. Lots of alleyways, jumps, 'hoon' areas, tunnels, beach, off roads..etc. Quite varied which makes for some exciting races.

PLEASE CRITERION, for the love of all things holy, if there's a way to patch in a hood view and manual transmission, please do so. It would greatly enhance the experience..at least for me it will!

But, the Vita's small screen will lead to more head-on collisions than you might like. It can be really hard to see what's coming up - the horizon just looks like a blur of pixels and blue headlights, shortly before you slam into a tree or a lorry.

no gates and no dirt.

doesn't sound fantastic. No gates to smash through would be a real downer, was one of the most enjoyable parts of BP

Reminds me of the burnout psp games. Couldn't see shit in the distance lol. Still great games mind you.

Am disappointed that the ios game is native res while the vita ain't (different games and devs, but one still can be disappointed).

In the original MW, getting busted by cops meant a lot more than it does in this game. It seems nothing happens if you do get caught unlike the original.

The races are pretty hectic though. All kinds of shit going on. Some races take a while to finish as well which means you don't want to fuck it up towards the end..

I hate the fucking crashing while in cruise mode. I mean, I just want to drive around without the "crash sequence" triggering every time I hit a NPC. It sort of kills the flow.

The handling is easier to live with while in bumper cam but damn is it low to the ground. It's really hard to judge cars and objects around you.

The effects such as backfire, scrape sparks, crashing, exhaust smoke etc..are nicely done.

I really like the world in this game. Lots of alleyways, jumps, 'hoon' areas, tunnels, beach, off roads..etc. Quite varied which makes for some exciting races.

PLEASE CRITERION, for the love of all things holy, if there's a way to patch in a hood view and manual transmission, please do so. It would greatly enhance the experience..at least for me it will!

So how many instances are you noticing the framerate hitching? I've noticed in videos of both the PS3 and 360 version there are moments where the game literally just halts for a split second in the middle of action. Is this common?

Thanks.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK

no gates and no dirt.

There are some gates to smash through, but like traffic, there's just a whole lot fewer of them. Playing the same ME race on PS3 and then Vita, I noticed that one shortcut - through a hanger type building - had gates on Ps3, but not on Vita.

Gates-age

Top Bottom